Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Bjmq7VOIAAAWR-N.jpg

It's actually delicious that this will be Giggs' last season. Seeing him on the pitch, looking his age now, in defeat. It's amazing. Hopefully he's on the pitch chasing shadows against Munich. That would be a fitting competitive end for his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

mike65 wrote: »
    Most Utd supporters don't know about life before SKY/PL and most Liverpool supporters only remember life before SKY/PL :p

And Mike only remembers football before the 1900's ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

Fúck the cups.
    Even if Rodgers somehow manages to make a bags of the summer signings, and get booted out of all cups early, once we make 4th next year it'll be a good year..

League consistency first and foremost.

Gokei wrote: »
    Fúck the cups.
    Even if Rodgers somehow manages to make a bags of the summer signings, and get booted out of all cups early, once we make 4th next year it'll be a good year..

League consistency first and foremost.

Totally disagree. You need to be winning ****. This club exists to win stuff. If we were a half decade down the line, five 3rd / 4th place finishes and no progress in Europe or domestic cup success to speak of Rodgers would have to go ala Houllier in 2004.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

klose wrote: »
    I do like reading around other forums, opposition fans seem to weigh alot of our success on the fact we've no europe, a helping factor yes but they're putting too much weight onto that opinion imo. We finished 7th last year and had europa, we are 3rd now, its hardly worth what will likely be a 15 point swing come seasons end.
    Also injuries! We've had more than our fair share, suarez (suspension) coutinho,sturridge,gerrard,agger x2, sakho, johnson,enrique,allen, gerrard, sturridge all been injured for a while, not just one offs either. You could conceivably say our entire first choice back line was injured all at once over for a decent amount of time. The only clean bills of health weve had is mignolet,skrtel,hendo,sterling and suarez barring his suspension.
    Others say we'll struggle with europe next year, fcuk it bring it on. We've proved everyone massively wrong this season, more of that next year too.

Bit of Column A, bit of column B. Hard to quantify pointswise what it's worth to us, but I definitely think our low number of games this season relatively has had a cumulative positive effect on our thin squad and its freshness. If you look at: Swansea, Newcastle last season, Spurs - there is definitely a tangible negative effect of Europa League on teams, particularly those with thinner squads. CL seems to have less of an impact on UK teams, I would argue that this is mainly because of the regular presence of the same UK teams, and therefore their squads are broadened to compensate. The 'occasional' Europa league teams don't really have the ability to strengthen like this, and so they suffer.

Anyway, the Column B is that - while we've had injuries - we've been somewhat lucky in that Gerrard/Lucas/Allen have never really had injuries at same time. Same goes for Sturridge/Suarez

The third bit - which can't be underestimated - is the training/managing aspect: Sterling, Henderson, Gerrard and I would say Sturridge and Suarez also have all improved aspects of their game, or evolved them to fit the general goal of the team, immensely. We have a true team who understand the importance of the various secondary aspects of their game (Suarez working for assists, running interference, creating space - Gerrard playing the defensive role, breaking up play and distributing the ball but *keeping discipline* and holding his role without straying often).

All three of these factors contribute to the swing - and it's really really remarkable that we're going from 7th to somewhere between hopefully 1st and 3rd with only one first team personnel change: Mignolet. I'm really bowled over by this season from beginning to end. I would've said 5th at best from outset. So, wherever we finish within the range of 1st-3rd, even 4th, it has been the most remarkable season. Rodgers and this squad have really lifted the club out of what felt like would be a long wait for being in contention again.

Much credit has to go to the commercial side of things too: growing our revenue base, as boring and unsexy as it is, will begin to liberate us to do things like holding key personnel when we need to (that day is coming fast...), investing in stadium like we need to and buying players when we have to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LOAN WATCH

Suso - full game in 4-3 win
    Adorján - unused sub
    Ibe - 86 mins and goal in 2-3 away win
    Wisdom - full game in 2-1 away defeat
    McLaughlin - full game in 0-1 home defeat
    Borini - full game in 2-0 away defeat
    Robinson - full game in 1-0 away defeat
    Coady - full game and 2 goals in 0-2 away win.

Ilori - injured
    Assaidi - injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

klose wrote: »
    I do like reading around other forums, opposition fans seem to weigh alot of our success on the fact we've no europe, a helping factor yes but they're putting too much weight onto that opinion imo. We finished 7th last year and had europa, we are 3rd now, its hardly worth what will likely be a 15 point swing come seasons end.
    Also injuries! We've had more than our fair share, suarez (suspension) coutinho,sturridge,gerrard,agger x2, sakho, johnson,enrique,allen, gerrard, sturridge all been injured for a while, not just one offs either. You could conceivably say our entire first choice back line was injured all at once over for a decent amount of time. The only clean bills of health weve had is mignolet,skrtel,hendo,sterling and suarez barring his suspension.
    Others say we'll struggle with europe next year, fcuk it bring it on. We've proved everyone massively wrong this season, more of that next year too.

A lot of fans want to compete for every cup going. I'm personally delighted we had no Europa league this year and got knocked out of the 2 cups early on. It gives us a chance to build our position in the league and attract a higher quality of players and will help us build the squad so we can compete properly on all fronts.

I know its an unpopular opinion with a lot but I couldn't give a fcuk about the FA cup or Carling cup until we win the league. Until that point, I'd rather we just play a team full of youngsters and squad fillers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Totally disagree. You need to be winning ****. This club exists to win stuff. If we were a half decade down the line, five 3rd / 4th place finishes and no progress in Europe or domestic cup success to speak of Rodgers would have to go ala Houllier in 2004.

See Wenger at Arsenal. At what point does qualifying for CL and essentially doing nothing else for 9 years become too little.

I agree, we need to be winning things. This season has been unreal so far and should hopefully serve as a spring board for next year. Rodgers cant make a balls of the transfer window - its essential we improve the 1st team and squad to play European football.
    I think Rodgers thinks this way too judging by his comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

While I do agree with the sentiment that we, as a club, need to win trophies. I can't help but think that performing well in the league absolutely has to be the priority first - at whatever detriment to the cups, until we have a squad capable of competing on all fronts.

This season has been far more enjoyable than 2011/12, when we reached two cup finals, but got nowhere in the league.

For years I've banged on about how the Europa League was footballs "double handicap" and got attacked for holding the view by the kind of people who say "Liverpool football club exists to wins things", my view was that trifles such as the EL, FA Cup, League Cup are not cake - and its the cake that matters - that is the league. This season has vindicated that line of thinking.

The first target for next season is a top 4 finish, as it is this. I'd sacrifice a tilt at the Champions League if I thought the league form was faltering. Until the foundations are secure there is little point building fancy towers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

For years I've banged on about how the Europa League was footballs "double handicap" and got attacked for holding the view by the kind of people who say "Liverpool football club exists to wins things", my view was that trifles such as the EL, FA Cup, League Cup are not cake - and its the cake that matters - that is the league. This season has vindicated that line of thinking.

The first target for next season is a top 4 finish, as it is this. I'd sacrifice a tilt at the Champions League if I thought the league form was faltering. Until the foundations are secure there is little point building fancy towers.

Subtle Mike. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

The FAI, Shamrock Rovers FC and Liverpool FC today (Wednesday) announced a club friendly game between Shamrock Rovers and Liverpool FC on Wednesday, May 14 in Aviva Stadium, Dublin (Kick off 5.30pm).

Just got this

Edit* tickets go on sale on Friday, March 28 at 10am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

stevieob wrote: »
    You were saying :D

PMSL

If we win all our games, we will beat Chelsea into second, but need City to slip up elsewhere. I don't think we can win them all though, I think we now have 6 on the bounce, so to win them all would be 14 on the bounce.... asking an awful lot. However, I do not see Chelsea taking all available points between now and end of season also, so I believe we can and will finish Second to City......... Lets just hope they can find a few banana skins to slip on :P

I'd prefer Chelseas run in to ours and Citys. I do think both will drop points somewhere. If we keep up our form, and they are capable of that, Chelsea might have to win at Anfield to win the title, so Mourinho might have to be a little more attacking than normal.
    Knex. wrote: »
    While I do agree with the sentiment that we, as a club, need to win trophies. I can't help but think that performing well in the league absolutely has to be the priority first - at whatever detriment to the cups, until we have a squad capable of competing on all fronts.

This season has been far more enjoyable than 2011/12, when we reached two cup finals, but got nowhere in the league.

Good point, we'd a chance at 4th that year and that kind of tinges the Carling Cup win. I do agree with Lloyd that years of being Arsenal would get boring after a while, I suppose football fans just want to see their team improve each year, or stay at the very top.

Cups are bonuses these days, nice to win it, but 4th means more.

It's hard to give an accurate description, missing CL football for 4 years and looking like we'll be back in it again next season puts domestic cups and Europa Cups in perspective. The FA Cup was great in 06 but would I swap it for any of the CL seasons after that? Not a hope in hell.

Looking to next season its all about keeping CL football, if that means putting weak teams out and early exits in the Cups, sobeit. If we can stabilise as a CL club then we can worry about silverware.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

LOAN WATCH

Suso - full game in 4-3 win
    Adorján - unused sub
    Ilori - full game in 1-0 win
    Ibe - 86 mins and goal in 2-3 away win
    Wisdom - full game in 2-1 away defeat
    McLaughlin - full game in 0-1 home defeat
    Borini - full game in 2-0 away defeat
    Robinson - full game in 1-0 away defeat
    Coady - full game and 2 goals in 0-2 away win.

Assaidi - injured

I don't think he's back from injury and Barnsley won 3-1.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

opr wrote: »

Opr

Looks like Mike has a mish mash of weekend and Tuesday night games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Just got this
    The FAI, Shamrock Rovers FC and Liverpool FC today (Wednesday) announced a club friendly game between Shamrock Rovers and Liverpool FC on Wednesday, May 14 in Aviva Stadium, Dublin (Kick off 5.30pm).

1383114_10152431980927573_1776458280_n.jpg

http://www.lfctour.com/news/latest-news/liverpool-fc-confirm-dublin-fixture-in-may

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Looks like Mike has a mish mash of weekend and Tuesday night games.

Ah, I don't think he played either though as he hasn't been in the squad since his injury. I don't think Ilori has been back for Granada either since his injury.

Opr

and from that link:
    Liverpool FC will field a first team squad barring any injuries or selection for national team duty for the upcoming World Cup.

Opr

McLaughlin is back he played against Bournemouth on Saturday but did not feature in the squad against Reading yesterday. You are right about Ilori though - misread the date!
    Ryan McLaughlin @RyanMcL2 · Mar 22

Could to be back playing after my injury, hope that's it and can push on with my fitness, thanks for your messages #appreciated

I think he meant to type "Good"

Ah, I don't think he played either though as he hasn't been in the squad since his injury. I don't think Ilori has been back for Granada either since his injury.

Opr

Dont know about Ilori but i did see McLaughlin playing on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

gafferino wrote: »
    Id say Mike still has a mullet :eek: ]

I actually had a mullet during the 08 / 09 season . It was a direct copy of the Torres one from the 06 World Cup it was horrendous to look at !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Mclaughlin seems to always pick up niggly injuries, hopefully wont be a long term thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Hey im looking for a video that was posted up here within the last week. It was one of those youtube videos that could verge on the cheesy side of things but someone said it gave them goosebumps.

Meant to watch it but haven't been on the last few days and now I can't find it :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Mickalus wrote: »
    and from that link:

Who does that leave...Toure...Agger...Jones...Flanagan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

joe123 wrote: »
    Hey im looking for a video that was posted up here within the last week. It was one of those youtube videos that could verge on the cheesy side of things but someone said it gave them goosebumps.

Meant to watch it but haven't been on the last few days and now I can't find it :(

http://www.molfc.com/liverpool-fc-goals-season-201314/

Must be this one with all our league goals so far.

Nothing cheesy about it all.

Really was amazed how much these goals got to me.

Especially Suarez's looper v Norwich and Sturridge's one outside the box.

Enjoy

Totally disagree. You need to be winning ****. This club exists to win stuff.
    Absolutely, but a couple of transfer windows does not allow us to build a team that can attack on all fronts.
    If we were a half decade down the line, five 3rd / 4th place finishes and no progress in Europe or domestic cup success to speak of Rodgers would have to go ala Houllier in 2004.
    Two top four (ideally top three) finishes in his first two full seasons, then cups and league success would be sustainable development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Could whoever is going around posting 'As a Liverpool fan...' please quit it. Poor lad over on the 'things in football that grind your gears' thread is getting annoyed.

Actually if you want to keep it up that's fine....As a Liverpool fan I am thoroughly enjoying the toys being thrown from the pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

It'll be a B team as effectively most of the starting line up will be on World Cup duty.
    What's the story with the kick off time?

dfx- wrote: »
    Who does that leave...Toure...Agger...Jones...Flanagan...

Lucas, Allen, Coutinho, Aspas, Enrique

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The most important thing for us every season will be to secure top 4. That is the new bread-and-butter for top PL clubs. From that platform we can challenge for trophies and the league hopefully, but we should never value an FA cup or a league cup over 4th in this day and age imo.

Rafa won 2 trophies in his first 2 seasons. In his next 4 years he won nothing and our average league position was 4th. But you and many others had possibly valid arguments that he deserved to stay on anyway. The reason being presumably that he had us in the top 4 and the knockout stages of the CL pretty much every season apart from his last.

Mickalus wrote: »
    Lucas, Allen, Coutinho, Aspas, Enrique

Your forgetting Suarez he doesn't like missing a game !

The reason being presumably that he had us in the top 4 and the knockout stages of the CL pretty much every season apart from his last.

Wenger has shown the calibre of player willing to play for a club that wins nowt, but consistently gets top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭HooohRaaah

5:30 kick off time due to Uefa Cup

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Cancelled my Comedy channel subscription today, and got Man U tv instead!

Much better value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

joe123 wrote: »

I think you mean the Brendan Rodgers/Liverpool part II one... I'll see if I can source it out.

Edit: Here we go

• Advertisement

Much better value.

0.jpg?m=1366637391

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Rafa won 2 trophies in his first 2 seasons. In his next 4 years he won nothing and our average league position was 4th. But you and many others had possibly valid arguments that he deserved to stay on anyway. The reason being presumably that he had us in the top 4 and the knockout stages of the CL pretty much every season apart from his last.

Good point.

It's like the EC debate that thankfully we'll not be having this Summer. People go on about how it will have a CL place for the winners as if it makes a massive difference. Getting 4th is easier and most direct way of getting it and should be the main aim, it's a very convoluted and difficult route to go to get CL football, and the record seems to show it can make actually getting 4th more difficult.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

“We are looking forward to coming back to Dublin again this year to play in front of our Irish fans,” claimed Billy Hogan, the club’s chief commercial officer.

That quote made me laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Much better value.

You can always just get the end of season dvd if you think you missed out on anything.
    :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I dunno maybe its because Im dopped up on steroids, cough bottles and inhalers but does it feel like a cup final today for anyone else?
    Hopefully the players put in cup final displays from here on out, especially if its like those 20 mins at the end against Chelsea in the FA cup a while back.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Harry Kewell has retired.

I know he has a Champions League and FA Cup medal to his name, but it should have been so much more. The Harry Kewell of Leeds was some player. Even the nerfed revival one of the second part of 05/06 was better than a lot of wingers at the time, and he had lost his pace by then!
    Cartman78 wrote: »
    Interesting reading in both the Arsenal and ManU threads this morning...not happy campers at all at all.

Moyes really has been handed a sh1t sandwich in fairness and he's chowing down big time on it.

A new manager in to handle a highly successfull but ageing squad? Tick

The new manager has had a medium level of success at a smaller club..and is possibly waaaaaaay out of his depth? Tick

He's like Graeme Hodgson or Roy Souness.

Anyway, hope we annihilate Sunderland tonight although I'll settle for nervy 6-5 win

There's an element of Inter Milan post Mourinho about their situation that their fans have not really focused on, it's been entirely Moyes fault, and while obviously he's out of his depth, if you have a team who has basically won it all under a manager which Fergie's history both in winning trophies and managing players, it's somewhat understandable players drop off a level in performance. They're an aging squad too much like Inter were at the time. Bayern seem to be the exception to this over the last decade if not more.. which is a shame.
    gafferino wrote: »

I'd have him. Think he was fourth on my wing forward wishlist of doom last summer after Konoplyanka, Griezmann and Salah. Proven on the international scene and club level, versatile as hell, two footed and can contribute in terms of numbers. We could do a lot worse, the fact he's on a free transfer shouldn't put anyone off him.

Btw, you were asking about Mussacchio the other day. Funny enough I was quizzing one of the lads on Twitter who I follow and is heavy into Argentinian football on whether or not Mussachio had a chance of making the World Cup squad a month or so ago. Villarreal have played a few games on Monday, so I've caught a few of their games and I really like the look of him. He'd be on my shortlist for any potential CBs the club should consider.

Gabby Paletta is desired by Juventus, who could have foreseen his career?

La Gazzetta dello Sport has him as the second best defender in Seria A based on their average rating, he also gets a lot of praise from those I follow who follow Seria A and Argentinian football. Monaco, Atleti, Dortmund, Inter and Galatasary have been linked making him a move for him in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Knex. wrote: »
    I think you mean the Brendan Rodgers/Liverpool part II one... I'll see if I can source it out.

Edit: Here we go

This is the one! Cheers lads.

Much better value.

Sure john bishop should start playing their highlights in the back ground while doing a show .

The most important thing for us every season will be to secure top 4. That is the new bread-and-butter for top PL clubs. From that platform we can challenge for trophies and the league hopefully, but we should never value an FA cup or a league cup over 4th in this day and age imo.

Because we were challenging in the Champions League.

Winner
    2nd Round
    Runners Up
    Semi Finalists
    Quarter Finalists

Not getting knocked out early as the poster suggested or two 2nd round exits in a row as Arsenal fans are currently enjoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

@ Nuri

I think we won the CL despite Harry not because of him.

To be fair I really thought we had turned a corner when we signed Kewell, shame it never worked out. Always remember it was him that won the header that led to Mellor's wonder strike against Arsenal to beat them in the last minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Btw, you were asking about Mussacchio the other day. Funny enough I was quizzing one of the lads on Twitter who I follow and is heavy into Argentinian football on whether or not Mussachio had a chance of making the World Cup squad a month or so ago. Villarreal have played a few games on Monday, so I've caught a few of their games and I really like the look of him. He'd be on my shortlist for any potential CBs the club should consider.

La Gazzetta dello Sport has him as the second best defender in Seria A based on their average rating, he also gets a lot of praise from those I follow who follow Serie A and Argentinian football. Monaco, Atleti, Dortmund, Inter and Galatasary have been linked making him a move for him in the summer.

Liked the look of Musacchio for a few years would be a shrewd signing if we could get him on a free in June.
    Palleta was also capped by Italy in the recent friendly with Spain & has been doing well for high flying Parma with the likes of Cassano, Amauri, Biabiany & Parolo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Just got this

I might wear my Pat's jersey to this. F*ck Shamrock Rovers!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    I might wear my Pat's jersey to this. F*ck Shamrock Rovers!!

Stitch half a Liverpool and half a pats jersey together .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think Houillers reign/sacking should be looked on differently. At that time Liverpool could financially compete with everyone bar United. At this stage we're miles behind City, Chelsea and even United. CL should give us a bit more power but until we sort out our stadium we'll need to over-perform.

Because we were challenging in the Champions League.

Winner
    2nd Round
    Runners Up
    Semi Finalists
    Quarter Finalists

Not getting knocked out early as the poster suggested or two 2nd round exits in a row as Arsenal fans are currently enjoying.

5 consecutive seasons when we were in the running for silverware right up to the end. Hopefully still the same in a months time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement