Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think Houillers reign/sacking should be looked on differently. At that time Liverpool could financially compete with everyone bar United. At this stage we're miles behind City, Chelsea and even United. CL should give us a bit more power but until we sort out our stadium we'll need to over-perform.

We are in the top 10 clubs in the world in terms of revenue generation as it stands. We can compete.

Houllier gave us ~6 great years. He got us qualified for the CL at the end of season two while also winning three comps. He got to 2nd in the league and CL QFs the next year. Then we had two years of 4th place finishes; early European exits and a League Cup. And everyone was happy to upgrade.

The same will be true for Rodgers. Eventually you need to consistently win smaller victories (domestic cups / CL qualification) or at least challenge for the big boy comps (2nd in the league / CL semis or better) or people will grow tired (and the former won't save you in of itself in the long long run).

Read the Arsenal thread. They are unhappy and many want Wenger gone despite the extraordinary consistency of his reign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    We are in the top 10 clubs in the world in terms of revenue generation as it stands. We can compete.

Houllier gave us ~6 great years. He got us qualified for the CL at the end of season two while also winning three comps. He got to 2nd in the league and CL QFs the next year. Then we had two years of 4th place finishes; early European exits and a League Cup. And everyone was happy to upgrade.

The same will be true for Rodgers. Eventually you need to consistently win smaller victories (domestic cups / CL qualification) or at least challenge for the big boy comps (2nd in the league / CL semis or better) or people will grow tired (and the former won't save you in of itself in the long long run).

Read the Arsenal thread. They are unhappy and many want Wenger gone despite the extraordinary consistency of his reign.
    Houllier's football was terrible to watch & very defensive
    Rodgers style of play is much better but but will probably be harder to do as well in Europe unless we sign a top class CB like Benatia

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Stitch half a Liverpool and half a pats jersey together .

Half jersey wanker? :pac:
    gimli2112 wrote: »
    @ Nuri

I think we won the CL despite Harry not because of him.

To be fair I really thought we had turned a corner when we signed Kewell, shame it never worked out. Always remember it was him that won the header that led to Mellor's wonder strike against Arsenal to beat them in the last minute.

For sure. Like you and I'm sure many here too, signing Kewell was going to really take us to the next level I believed. To be fair to him, before that first injury he was the player we had all seen at Leeds tear it up week in and week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

We are down to 12th now. It really is a two tier rich list now with the top 6-7 generating significantly more than the rest. We can compete...ish. We need consistent CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

gafferino wrote: »

I agree, we need to be winning things.

Yes. EPL and CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Compete against who? Revenue standings will tell us very little about how well we can compete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

ush wrote: »
    Yes. EPL and CL.

andloads of €1 All-Cash cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

gafferino wrote: »
    See Wenger at Arsenal. At what point does qualifying for CL and essentially doing nothing else for 9 years become too little.

Winning a domestic cup wouldn't make it look much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ush wrote: »
    Winning a domestic cup wouldn't make it look much better.

Tbh Arsenal winning the Cup seems to have as much to do with answering opposition fan jibes of no silverware as actual enjoyment of winning the thing!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Anyone heading along to this YNWA show in the Gaiety in April?

Heading along myself, though I'm hoping against hope it won't be full of people wearing the full kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Stitch half a Liverpool and half a pats jersey together .

I'd be kicked out of LOI circles for doing that!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

DrumSteve wrote: »

Heading along myself, though I'm hoping against hope it won't be full of people wearing the full kit.

Well I'll be wearing my half and half Liverpool/Pat's jersey anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

monkey9 wrote: »
    Well I'll be wearing my half and half Liverpool/Pat's jersey anyway.

I'll be going as a full kit wanker if Liverpool win the league . I will also post pics on boards !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Yup, heading to a show on Friday 11th.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

All together now

Pjanic on the street of Liverpool, Panic on the streets of Manchester...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

MD1990 wrote: »
    Houllier's football was terrible to watch & very defensive
    Rodgers style of play is much better but but will probably be harder to do as well in Europe unless we sign a top class CB like Benatia

Well, I don't care about that. Wengerball is the beautiful game too and many of them still want rid.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Ohhhhh Yes Please !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,559 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

reckon the match in the Aviva will sell out, and if so, how quickly?

wouldn't mind going as I wont get to a premier league match til next season at the earliest, but the day and time of it is a balls.

Well, I don't care about that. Wengerball is the beautiful game too and many of them still want rid.

I agree . I want LFC to win trophies and that's what I'll remember houllier for . He brought back a trophy winning mentality and that is always welcome .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

mike65 wrote: »
    All together now

Pjanic on the street of Liverpool, Panic on the streets of Manchester...

Like that song so it's gettin' posted.

I'll be going as a full kit wanker if Liverpool win the league . I will also post pics on boards !!!

It's on it April chief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I agree . I want LFC to win trophies and that's what I'll remember houllier for . He brought back a trophy winning mentality and that is always welcome .

I remember being overjoyed to be in the League Cup final in 2001 playing Cardiff. Certainly want to be winning things every now and then

It's on it April chief.

You will see me at the aviva in a full kit then . Long sleeve jersey too . That's if Liverpool won the league .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

WTF is Ian Ayre doing scouting players?!? :eek:

tibor wrote: »

He could be a decent motorbike mechanic too .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Man Utd 2013/14 season compilation vid.

2cgijjk.jpg

You will see me at the aviva in a full kit then . Long sleeve jersey too . That's if Liverpool won the league .

Got my wires crossed there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

mike65 wrote: »
    Man Utd 2013/14 season compilation vid.

2cgijjk.jpg

Aye, seemed a bit too long to be true.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

tibor wrote: »

I would guess if he's there, it's a step beyond just scouting. Hunter has probably seen him a lot, and Ayre has joined this time for an informal inquiry perhaps, just to see where they stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

K-9 wrote: »
    Aye, seemed a bit too long to be true.

Thinking of getting the DVD for my comedy collection at home.

It's on it April chief.

Yep. We will have it wrapped up by then. At the latest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26744653

Harry Kewell's calling time on his career, could have been an Anfield great if it wasn't for the injury and weight issues, people forget what a good player he promised to be at Leeds.

Can someone LUCKY please start the match thread.

o1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

I'll do it, if we draw or lose I won't post in the SF again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So apparently we have not lost to Sunderland at Anfeild since 1983...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Match thread was started yesterday. It's probably lurking on page 2 or 3.

I actually won't be able to watch the game live tonight, but I have it on record and will be on media blackout (hopefully) so that I can watch it when I get home, hopefully no later than 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

:o

I jumped in there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

5starpool wrote: »

I actually won't be able to watch the game live tonight, but I have it on record and will be on media blackout (hopefully) so that I can watch it when I get home, hopefully no later than 9.

Tell the truth you'll be checking the match thread continuously, watching us pull our hair out at shocking defending while mike touches his wood over Suarez's latest moment of genius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Not sure if posted already...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

5starpool wrote: »

I'll PM you with details as they happen so the result doesn't come as a shock:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

tony1980 wrote: »

He should come down off the fence there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfDQwjyKT2q8eyZ36I9l8eMIypmjQzFXZ-FGknV82WqgJVngEn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭joe123

Looks like hes going to belt someone at the end there!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

i would blame the has been players more so than moyes. he did great job at everton. got to feel sorry for aul moysey

• Advertisement

Could be a few players we'd be looking at from both teams, let alone just Pjanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

MarkY91 wrote: »
    i would blame the has been players more so than moyes. he did great job at everton. got to feel sorry for aul moysey

Yeah I want Moyes to be left alone & get a vote of confidence. :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

david-moyes-memehey-hey-luis-david-moyes---make-a-meme-dzz1oshp.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Tell the truth you'll be checking the match thread continuously, watching us pull our hair out at shocking defending while mike touches his wood over Suarez's latest moment of genius
    5live wrote: »
    I'll PM you with details as they happen so the result doesn't come as a shock:-)

Oh, I'll be tempted, but I intend to not check my phone at all, and if it rings or I get a text I'll tell the missus to screen it first for spoilers. I'll get the line ups from twitter about 7, and that'll be me internet wise until after the game (I hope).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I remember in some old Championship Manager, early 00s anyway, I tried to sign Harry Kewell from Leeds with a bit of 60m.

They were having none of it.

He had the world at his feet before injuries kicked in, and it was such a shame the way his career tailed off after all that early promise.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement