Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Glen Johnson is at times pure poison. So slow on the ball at times, hesitant when passing and just poor decisions.

When he was good,
    He was very good indeed,
    But when he is bad he is horrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Vicxas wrote: »
    Have to say. That was one to forget.

Passing was not good at all but a win is a win. :)

Roll on Sunday
    As a Liverpool fan.....it might be one to forget from a football view but just hope the team learn from it in keeping control of the nerves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

djPSB wrote: »
    He's so lethargic on the ball.

He's after slowing down a fair bit hasn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

careca wrote: »
    Flano was bad for the goal. Just before it he was asleep and Agger had to jump in and block the shot. Then he totally got caught for the corner. Seemed to wake him up though and he was solid for the last 20. Think everyone was nervy tonight, including the crowd and manager. Hopefully they get that out of the system (first home game in weeks) and get back to enjoying the game and letting the results take care of themselves.

Actually think it could be a blessing that spurs won last Sun as they might continue with the defensive high line this Sunday!!

I think carragher called it right, the ball should never have got across the box like that. It's so hard to defend against when it misses the first man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

****ing delighted. Ref gave us nothing tonight. Suarez and Sturridge are class. Really happy. Nervous last 20 mins.

My best mate got me a Liverpool jersey with my name on it tonight as it's my 30th next Wednesday, I was ****ing stunned. Absolutely sound out! Been following Liverpool with him now for years and watched so many matches with him, it really mean't a lot to me. Made the win tonight really special.

YNWA

Walking home was whistling this.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

really hope Sunderland stay up but they have probably the hardest run-in.

I really Love Brendan Rodgers. He is a class act. Would really love for him being an Irish man too to bring the PL trophy back to Anfield.

I wouldn't care if he was Gary glitter reincarnated if he brought the league home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Wins like that make me as happy as 5-0's tbh. Great to see us grinding it out when it counts.:)

The ref was a joke tonight utterly disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I hope sunderland stay up, and i think they will, they have got a good bit of heart in them for the fight i think, oh and that ki lad looks fairly handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Poyet talking out of his arse.

As long as that's all that comes out of his arse there in Anfield tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Agueroooo wrote: »
    really hope Sunderland stay up but they have probably the hardest run-in.

I think they'll stay up, they still have to go to old trafford. Guaranteed three points for them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Pheeewwwwwwww
    Literally my head was in the pillow the last 15 mins. Gerrard gave Skrtel some bollocking for that Altidore chance.....and rightly so.

As brilliant as he was at times I also thought Suarez was a little too selfish. He could have laid it off to Sturridge a couple of times when it was a better option.

As Gerrard said post match we need to learn to shut up shop. Probably a good kick up the arse for us going forward.

Bring on Spurs.....giddyuuppppp all aboard its gonna me a wild few weeks me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Poetry in motion Tra-La-La-La-La

Can't stop singing it in my head :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Eight Ball wrote: »
    Wins like that make me as happy as 5-0's tbh. Great to see us grinding it out when it counts.:)

The ref was a joke tonight utterly disgraceful.

Who was the ref out of interest? Didn't recognise him. His decisions were utterly bizarre at times, perhaps out to make a name for himself.

I got a west ham ticket. Anyone heading over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Hoki wrote: »
    I think that's extremely harsh tbh. The crowd were getting edgy based on some terrible refereeing decisions coupled with us not getting our usual early goal/s. I also find it bizarre you slate the crowd for celebrating being 2 nil up ? The crowd can hardly control what gets fed into the players.

They started groaning after about 20 minutes when the attacking play broke down. At 2-0, go mad but breath that passion into the team with a wall of noise. All that happened was they didn't seem to give a ****. Small pockets could be heard trying to get the ground going. Don't get me started on when the game went 2-1, when we really needed some support nothing came but anxiety. Fans moaning at misplaced passes just added to the overall anxiety both off and on the pitch. How can't the crowd control what is fed to the pitch? Just give it some welly creating noise. You only need to look at our away support this season to see how it's done.

Opr

It seems like the realisation that they are in the thick of a title fight suddenly hit the team tonight, lets just hope its out of their system now great 3pts anyhow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Rakitic with a peach of an assist there....can he come to Anfield please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Rakitic with some beautiful play to put Svilla 2-1 up against Madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Top 7 spot mathematically secured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

And it was Pepe he made a fool out of....sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think carragher called it right, the ball should never have got across the box like that. It's so hard to defend against when it misses the first man.

Could really do with Carragher's experience and leadership for situations like that, especially coming towards the end of the season when the pressure starts to get to certain players, it's a real pity he didn't stay for one more season even as an option off the bench to call on for those last 20 or 30 nervy minutes!

Another 3 points though, it wasn't pretty but on another night with decisions going our way and us taking our chances the way we usually do, it could easily have been 4 goals!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    As long as that's all that comes out of his arse there in Anfield tonight.

You're wanted in the match thread, Starscream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

there is no match of the day as this is not a proper game mid week round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

liverpool v man city game is on the sunday afternoon of the Hillsborough anniversary where all games start 7mins later to remember those who died

it will be one of the biggest games in years to be played at anfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I praised Scholes last nite but tonite its the opposite cause Alan Smith is a total prick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Handy win ... as expected. Cannot go 90 mins without giving the ball away. We will learn from that anxiety. Big game this weekend lets hope we flatten them cos i am really disliking Sherwood these days.

I said I'd love us to sign Rakatic earlier in the season, and I stand by that. I know people here wouldn't be happy with Suso for Rakatic + 15M or whatever it was, but if there is a buy back clause and Suso really wants to stay in Spain, I'm all for it.

I just hope spurs bring their bullet proof high line defending with them to anfield on sunday along with "speedy gonzalez dawson":D

GTR63 wrote: »
    I praised Scholes last nite but tonite its the opposite cause Alan Smith is a total prick

Can't listen to the guy at all, horrible pundit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Apparently Everton are building a permanent Hillsborough memorial at Goodison Park. Nice gesture, look beyond the rivallery, the people of Liverpool were all affected by the tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

opr wrote: »
    They started groaning after about 20 minutes when the attacking play broke down. At 2-0, go mad but breath that passion into the team with a wall of noise. All that happened was they didn't seem to give a ****. Small pockets could be heard trying to get the ground going. Don't get me started on when the game went 2-1, when we really needed some support nothing came but anxiety. Fans moaning at misplaced passes just added to the overall anxiety both off and on the pitch. How can't the crowd control what is fed to the pitch? Just give it some welly creating noise. You only need to look at our away support this season to see how it's done.

Opr

Thats fine but I just don't get how you can criticise the crowd for celebrating being 2 nil up midway through the second half against a team in the relegation zone. The crowd was obviously in a jovial mood even before kick off based on how good we've been this season and for us to be 2 up was just adding to that party atmosphere . Its not the crowds fault we conceded a soft goal leading to a nervy finish ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I said I'd love us to sign Rakatic earlier in the season, and I stand by that. I know people here wouldn't be happy with Suso for Rakatic + 15M or whatever it was, but if there is a buy back clause and Suso really wants to stay in Spain, I'm all for it.

Ya outside the top 3 he is the best player in La Liga for me. Class again tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Was anyone else slightly uncomfortable with the showboating (mainly Coutinho) and general fannying around just after the 2nd goal?

It was easy on the eye etc but I think you have the earn the right to start that at that craic and we hadn't really done that.

Anyhoo, seems strange to be whining after 7th win in a row but shows how far we've come i guess.

Thought Suarez was immense tonight, he must be an absolute nightmare to play against.

Quick word on Sunderland - should stay up I reckon just about. But yer man Altidore is one of the worst 'strikers' I've seen at this level :eek:....a kind of Emile Heskey's evil and less talented twin brother mixed with Andy Carroll on a bad day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Apparently Everton are building a permanent Hillsborough memorial at Goodison Park. Nice gesture, look beyond the rivallery, the people of Liverpool were all affected by the tragedy.

i heard that too , great gesture but they always supported the JT96 from the word go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The greatest praise I can give Rodgers right now is that if Rafa became available and I could appoint him Liverpool manager, I'd say 'let's just see where this is heading with Rodgers"

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

Hoki wrote: »
    Thats fine but I just don't get how you can criticise the crowd for celebrating being 2 nil up midway through the second half against a team in the relegation zone. The crowd was obviously in a jovial mood even before kick off based on how good we've been this season and for us to be 2 up was just adding to that party atmosphere . Its not the crowds fault we conceded a soft goal leading to a nervy finish ...

A little but of silliness and daring to dream right throughout the crowd tonight....and no harm at all. Very difficult to to raise it for a Sunderland match even for fans. When Spurs, City and Chelsea arrive expect to see and hear a more vocal, focused and confident crowd supporting their team.

As for the game - like the crowd no harm to get some of the giddiness out of the system. Nervy at times, numerous poor decisions but enough done to gain 3 points. Agger & Skertl together just don't inspire. Please give us Sakho for the next day. He will attack the ball no matter what!!!!

A little but of silliness and daring to dream right throughout the crowd tonight....and no harm at all. Very difficult to to raise it for a Sunderland match even for fans. When Spurs, City and Chelsea arrive expect to see and hear a more vocal, focused and confident crowd supporting their team.

As for the game - like the crowd no harm to get some of the giddiness out of the system. Nervy at times, numerous poor decisions but enough done to gain 3 points. Agger & Skertl together just don't inspire. Please give us Sakho for the next day. He will attack the ball no matter what!!!!

7 wins in a row, Sakho will have to wait i'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

As a Liverpool fan I missed the match thread tonight and now I feel like a sap :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

I have a feeling this could be an interesting weekend, I think Crystal Palace could frustrate Chelsea and Arsenal could take something from the City game, if we are lucky enough that they both drop 2 points and we beat Spurs, then it really is game on..Y.N.W.A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Was anyone else slightly uncomfortable with the showboating (mainly Coutinho) and general fannying around just after the 2nd goal?

It was easy on the eye etc but I think you have the earn the right to start that at that craic and we hadn't really done that.
    Not really but would be more concerned with the greed around the box.As much as you want forwards to be greedy & take their chances there is a time & place for it.All guilty of not getting the head up at times & playing the simple ball but just my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

I'd much prefer keep Suso and either loan him or use him as a squad rotation player and just pay the full fee for Rakatic.
    Maybe even loan him to Sevilla? I agree though, Rakatic is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Cartman78 wrote: »

Anyhoo, seems strange to be whining after 7th win in a row but shows how far we've come i guess.

Thought Suarez was immense tonight, he must be an absolute nightmare to play against.

Quick word on Sunderland - should stay up I reckon just about. But yer man Altidore is one of the worst 'strikers' I've seen at this level :eek:....a kind of Emile Heskey's evil and less talented twin brother mixed with Andy Carroll on a bad day

Altidore is the poorest player I have seen in the premiership.

But he wasn't the poorest on the pitch tonight.

Take a bow, Kevin Friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Bridge93 wrote: »

The rivalry with Everton has always had a touch of class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

^^^ Top man is Daniel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Like I said a few days ago, not quite so revealing now, but for those still interested:
    Morzadec wrote: »
    1. Chelsea: +7
    1.. City: +7
    3. Liverpool: +6

4. Arsenal: +1

5. Everton: -3.5
    6. Spurs: -6
    7. United -10.5

I think this close to reflects the reality of the situation. I'm not sure if City's matches in hand are fully accounted for here, due to this being based on 2ppg and City being more likely to pick up more than that. They are in the driving seat. It's in their hands.

So I would place City as favourites, with Chelsea close behind. And I do believe we are right in there in the mix, with a decent chance and only slightly 3rd favs.

Goes without saying that the home matches against City and Chelsea have a massive say in the title race for all 3 teams.

United in the minus double figures heading for a low 60s finish.

Arsenal crumbling at the business end - they haven't been as low as +1 since I started this and it now looks a real possibility that they will drop below the 76/77 point '0' level.

Ask me to put a % point on it now? Something like this I reckon.

City: 40%
    Chelsea: 33%
    Liverpool: 25%
    Arsenal: 2%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Morzadec wrote: »
    Like I said a few days ago, not quite so revealing now, but for those still interested:

I think this close to reflects the reality of the situation. I'm not sure if City's matches in hand are fully accounted for here, due to this being based on 2ppg and City being more likely to pick up more than that. They are in the driving seat. It's in their hands.

So I would place City as favourites, with Chelsea close behind. And I do believe we are right in there in the mix, with a decent chance and only slightly 3rd favs.

Goes without saying that the home matches against City and Chelsea have a massive say in the title race for all 3 teams.

United in the minus double figures heading for a low 60s finish.

Arsenal crumbling at the business end - they haven't been as low as +1 since I started this and it now looks a real possibility that they will drop below the 76/77 point '0' level.

Ask me to put a % point on it now? Something like this I reckon.

City: 40%
    Chelsea: 33%
    Liverpool: 25%
    Arsenal: 2%

Should there be such a large gap between Arsenal and Everton? Seems excessive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mignolet for me doesn't give the defence much confidence
    scared to come off his line for crosses since he suffered a bad facial injury a few years ago
    & very poor with the ball at his feet but is an excellent shot stopper & at 1 v 1's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Thought we had a ten min spell after the second goal when we should have put the game to bed. Sunderland made the changes & that goal had been coming for 10 minutes. Was screaming at the TV for Brendan to change it at 2-0. Shut up shop, 20 minutes to go. They score nearly straight away and I am convinced we'll draw. Hopefully we will learn from this both as a team and Management. 7 to go chaps.... sooooo f**kin pumped

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement