Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

slingerz wrote: »
    had a terrible realisation last night.

the kolo toure pass v West Brom is what is keeping us off the top with 7 games to go.

I used to let that annoy me, but I think games/results like that put a fire under us to go on a run. Every team has games like that. Chelsea vs Villa, City against a few early on. Arsenal Swansea the other night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

the kolo toure pass v West Brom is what is keeping us off the top with 7 games to go.

So is the Moses miss v Hull or the Allen sitter v Everton!
    No point looking back, if it wasn't for the Ming's peno save v Stoke or last min pen v Fulham we'd be 2-4 points worse off. These things happen in football, best not to dwell on them. We are where we are and if someone had told us in August we'd be 2nd with 7 games to go we'd have had them sectioned!

Nervy ending last night, need to play better on Sunday!

Eight Ball wrote: »
    I'd take trophies every time myself. Sad the way finished 4th is now more important than winning a cup but i guess im old school like that.

Yeah you can't put 4th in the Trophu Cabinet but as we have found out that we can't attract the top players unless we have CL football.

It is sad that finishing 4th now holds more 'prestige' than winning the FA Cup or Europa League but that's the nature of the beast! Top players won't join cos we're FA Cup Winners but you can be sure there heads will be turned by the lure of CL football.

Football really has changed from when I was a lad, the FA Cup final was one of the great days in the football calendar, it doesn't hold the same magic at all now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

kfallon wrote: »
    Yeah you can't put 4th in the Trophu Cabinet but as we have found out that we can't attract the top players unless we have CL football.

It is sad that finishing 4th now holds more 'prestige' than winning the FA Cup or Europa League but that's the nature of the beast! Top players won't join cos we're FA Cup Winners but you can be sure there heads will be turned by the lure of CL football.

Football really has changed from when I was a lad, the FA Cup final was one of the great days in the football calendar, it doesn't hold the same magic at all now.

It's shocking tbh but i guess that's the modern game. Would like to see the FA cup winners get the 4th spot in the champions league instead of the 4th place finishers in the league to turn the fortunes of the cup around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

At least they have tried with the Europa League with winners getting to CL. Should do same with FA Cup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Soft goals conceded against City and Sterling wrongly ruled offside when one on one with Hart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

djPSB wrote: »
    Soft goals conceded against City and Sterling wrongly ruled offside when one on one with Hart.

Hull.

I'd take trophies every time myself. Sad the way finished 4th is now more important than winning a cup but i guess im old school like that.

First of all, we're challenging for the title.

Winning cups is great but the league is the real acid test and is a true barometer of where a team is at.

Ideally, we finish in the top 4 which then enables us to challenge for multiple trophies next season.

I would not like to do an Arsenal on it though and finish in the top 4 every year without any silverware following. The whole point of being in the CL is that it should enable you to win more silverware.

Winning the FA Cup isn't a true reflection of where a team is at.

Going by the reasoning that players should be more inclined to join the FA Cup winners than the team that finishes 4th, then Ozil should have joined Wigan instead of Arsenal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ideally, we finish in the top 4 which then enables us to challenge for multiple trophies next season.

I would not like to do an Arsenal on it though and finish in the top 4 every year without any silverware following. The whole point of being in the CL is that it should enable you to win more silverware.

Spot on. Getting into the top 4 this year is an achievement and should be celebrated, if we are still celebrating scraping into it in 10 years time there is something wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The league is played over 38 games with everyone playing home and away, no way should FA cup winners get champions league over 4th spot. You want the best teams to qualify not some flakey shower who got a load of soft ties or home draws. If they win the FA cup and Europa league the following season then fair enough :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

10 wins and 2 draws in 12 games, are you seriously worried about that draw :eek: Enjoy the run we're on man, it's rare enough for for any Liverpool team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Very difficult to a win a league (and obviously a Champions League) without a sustained period of CL qualification to use as a platform to attract and afford the top players.

Might be obvious, but this is why we all strive for CL football, why it is so important.

Really it's the more ambitious view.

Winning the FA Cup is great but does little to alter your status. It does not allow you access to a higher calibre of player.

The reason we want CL football, the reason we prioritise it, the reason Dalglish's season ultimately wasn't good enough, is because we see Liverpool as a top team, a big club.

The top teams, the big clubs, exist to win their domestic league and the Champions League first and foremost. That's where we all want us challenging.

The odd minor cup will inevitably come our way anyway if we have consistently reached this level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It's shocking tbh but i guess that's the modern game. Would like to see the FA cup winners get the 4th spot in the champions league instead of the 4th place finishers in the league to turn the fortunes of the cup around.

Send Wigan or Portsmouth into the Champions League often enough and you'll fcuk up the coefficient so much that there won't even be a 4th spot for English teams. What then, give them the 3rd place spot?

And in general theres no good reason why UEFA should change the qualification rules to satisfy the English nostalgia for the FA Cup (the demise of which is about 10% caused by the CL and 90% for other reasons).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

It shouldnt be overlooked that we have two 20 league goal strikers for the first time since 63/64. Its a fantastic achievement by Suarez and Sturridge but also by the team and Rodgers.

130114liverpool.jpg?ITEM_ENT_ID=1022934&COLLSPEC_ENT_ID=10&ITEM_VERSION=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I think the aul heart rate is still above normal after last night - haven't felt like that in a very long time tbh....the stakes are huge now.

I can see us hammering Spurs at the weekend - esp. if Tactics Tim continues with the suicidally high defensive line. I don't think Spurs have the personnel to mirror what Sunderland attempted last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Cartman78 wrote: »
    I think the aul heart rate is still above normal after last night - haven't felt like that in a very long time tbh....the stakes are huge now.

I can see us hammering Spurs at the weekend - esp. if Tactics Tim continues with the suicidally high defensive line. I don't think Spurs have the personnel to mirror what Sunderland attempted last night

That high line of Spurs is perfectly suited for Sterling. Wouldn't surprise me if Rodgers started with him, but then again Coutinho just had a MOTM performance so tough to call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cartman78 wrote: »

Sunderland came for a point, Spurs will play to win from the start - that's their weakness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Fizman wrote: »
    That high line of Spurs is perfectly suited for Sterling. Wouldn't surprise me if Rodgers started with him, but then again Coutinho just had a MOTM performance so tough to call.
    That normally means Coutihno will be absolutely muck in his next match

He played well last night but there's two things that need to be sorted with his game - his shooting & his consistency.

Get those sorted and we have a very special player. Some of his close control and carrying the ball into space was amazing last night.

Surely Sherwood the facking Lemon will not come to Anfield with a high line.

If he has any tactical know how whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

mike65 wrote: »
    Sunderland came for a point, Spurs will play to win from the start - that's their weakness!

If Spurs want to keep their slim hopes of CL qualification alive they have to attack on Sunday, that could play into our hands.

We'll need to be much, much better than last night though to get the 3pts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Rodgers not wanting Sturridge seems silly. It's clear that when Rodgers doesn't fancy a player - we've seen this with Assaidi, Carroll and most recently Alberto. Unlike Assaidi, from day one, Rodgers spoke of Sturridge as being a star and a first team player. When you have Sturridge himself speaking highly about Rodgers having confidence in him, there doesn't seem to be any basis to the "rumour".

I'm going to be on Inishboffin island for the last game of the season for a wedding. I'm not even sure they have radio there, let alone TVs!

I'm going to be on Inishboffin island for the last game of the season for a wedding. I'm not even sure they have radio there, let alone TVs!

We'll send a carrier pigeon. In a little Liverpool jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Surely Sherwood the facking Lemon will not come to Anfield with a high line.

If he has any tactical know how whatsoever.

think you've answered your own question there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

D'Agger wrote: »
    That normally means Coutihno will be absolutely muck in his next match

He played well last night but there's two things that need to be sorted with his game - his shooting & his consistency.

Get those sorted and we have a very special player. Some of his close control and carrying the ball into space was amazing last night.

Coutinho seems one of those players who always player better at home than away to me, was brilliant last night.

The 3 at the back for Sunderland made life alot more difficult for us. Seems to be the best way to contain SAS.

We must have know they were gonna be tough to break down with the amount of long shots we were taking at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-striker-daniel-sturridge-unaware-2999947
    He told FourFourTwo magazine: "I first met him when I was at Manchester City and we played his Chelsea team in the Youth Cup.

"I hadn't realised he was in the opposition dugout at the time. It's nice that I was on his radar at such an early stage.

"We beat them, so I've had a good time reminiscing with him about that! He's a great man on and off the pitch. He is tactically sound, pays attention to every detail and knows his players inside out."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-striker-daniel-sturridge-unaware-2999947#ixzz2x9uGqZq6
    Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook
    To me, it certainly doesn't sound like Sturridge was never wanted by Rodgers. If anything, it sounds like Rodgers had a high opinion of him from an early age.

• Advertisement

Thought Suarez was fairly poor (by his very, very high standards) last night but the thing I love about Suarez and Sturridge is if that one doesn't play well or score the other one inevitably will. Am I right in saying that the only time in the League both have played together and neither have scored is Arsenal away???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Player's praise for Rodgers is really on the rise in the last few weeks. I suppose, that's natural with us doing so well, but they all mention two things - Man Management. Tactical Astuteness.

For me, his ability to adapt and learn is the striking trait that he has demonstrated for me this season. He has so much promise, and it feels weird saying that about a manager, but I really hope he can fulfill what we all hope, and somewhat expect, him to do from here on.

He has a long way to go to being up there with the greats, but nobody would be against him, and such is his promise, nobody would put a limit on what he may achieve either. Speaks volumes for what he has done this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Thought Suarez was fairly poor (by his very, very high standards) last night but the thing I love about Suarez and Sturridge is if that one doesn't play well or score the other one inevitably will. Am I right in saying that the only time in the League both have played together and neither have scored is Arsenal away???

Think so. Also, think I saw that in like 16 starts together, they've scored 28 goals or something similar, this season.

Gonna see if I can dig that stat out, as that's bonkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

a good win, but Rodgers' decision not to bring Lucas on for Coutinho was utterly baffling.

also, Allen needs to up his game considerably.

Sturridge also had an off night, even though he scored and nearly had a second. a good problem to have!

Johnson was frustrating as hell. he was consistently in great positions only to make a dog's dinner of whatever it was he was trying to do.

Skrtel is going to cost us any reasonable shot at the league with some of his "defending". he can be dominant, but he simply makes me shít my pants whenever he's near the ball, especially if the game is tight.

my favourite moment of the match? 90 seconds left. the ball is in the corner. Sunderland are getting ready to clear the ball up the pitch. Suarez comes out of nowhere, working his bollocks off, and smacks it off the defender's knee for a throw in for us.

he then turns around and looks thoroughly disgusted for some reason.

what a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Any thoughts on the team for Spurs at the weekend?

I imagine Spurs will be
    Lloris
    Walker-Vertonghen-Sawson-Rose
    Dembele-Sandro-Bentaleb
    Eriksen-Soldado-lennon

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

So if we beat Spurs 3rd is essentially in the bag?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

SlickRic wrote: »

my favourite moment of the match? 90 seconds left. the ball is in the corner. Sunderland are getting ready to clear the ball up the pitch. Suarez comes out of nowhere, working his bollocks off, and smacks it off the defender's knee for a throw in for us.

There was a point when Suarez played a ball into the corner for Sterling to chase, Sterling back-heeled it hoping it would come of a Sunderland player and go out for a corner or throw but it stayed in play.

Suarez, who was on the half way line when he played the ball, had come running up to support Sterling, picked up the loose ball, did some awesome turn to give himself some space and then laid it back for Sterling.

The roar from the crowd when he did that was almost like he'd scored a goal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Spurs have a new glimmer of hope for fourth spot now so they have something to play for too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

SlickRic wrote: »
    a good win, but Rodgers' decision not to bring Lucas on for Coutinho was utterly baffling.

also, Allen needs to up his game considerably.

Sturridge also had an off night, even though he scored and nearly had a second. a good problem to have!

Johnson was frustrating as hell. he was consistently in great positions only to make a dog's dinner of whatever it was he was trying to do.

Skrtel is going to cost us any reasonable shot at the league with some of his "defending". he can be dominant, but he simply makes me shít my pants whenever he's near the ball, especially if the game is tight.

he then turns around and looks thoroughly disgusted for some reason.

what a hero.

Made no errors last night as far as I recall - Flanno screwed up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Liverpool are having a great season and are overachieving to be where they are now. Some of the players are not upto it at the top level but Sturridge Saurez and Gerrard are making up for it. None of the back 5 are world class, the type of player the top teams would chase.
    Incredible that they are still in the title chase. Rodgers has been impressive. He speaks so well and has a calm authority about him. The players don't seem to be getting carried away with the title talk. Looks like we could have the best title run in for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

He made no errors that led to a goal. He lost John o shea late on and got a bollocking off Gerrard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I dont get why people just dismiss the top 4 as if it's ruining the game. It makes the league much more exciting. Imagine how sh1te the league would be if coming 1st was the only prize essentially. There would be fck all incentive for the extra, let's say, 6 or 7 sides outside of the top 2 to fight tooth and nail until the very final stages of the season.

Long live the top 4 imo, much more exciting than the domestic cups imo and a greater indication of a team's ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Winning the Europa League now qualifies you for the CL so I'd say it's pretty prestigious.

All: last night was awesome. You play to win the game. All that matters now is Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Agueroooo wrote: »

Providing Arsenal lose to Man City.
    In the bag.....but the bag is not tied yet!

trap-WEB-PNG.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Forget finishing 3rd ... look forward! not over our shoulders. We have 3rd in the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Giovanni Brent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I'm heading up for Spurs on Sunday. Don't want to be a jinx but I've never seen Liverpool lose at Anfield in person (P10 W8 D2 L0) and I don't expect that to change

So don't worry lads ;)

The games like Arsenal v City are great.

No matter what the result, it is going to favour us in some way. Whether it's guaranteeing us 3rd or damaging City's title credentials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Agueroooo wrote: »

Normally I'd say no with City and Chelsea to come but things feel different this year. It would take a collapse from us to not get 3rd if we beat Spurs.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Skrtl was terrible for the goal too though. Flanagan was the most obvious one to point a finger at as he lost his marker who ended up scoring, whereas the ball actually passed by Skrtls head by a few inches, who was only concerned with grappling with John O'Shea.

The one area that infuriates me when watching the team play, is when we are defending set pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

I'd say it was a combination of Skrtel/Agger not clearing the ball and Flanagan losing his man.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement