Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Eight Ball wrote: »
    I'd take trophies every time myself. Sad the way finished 4th is now more important than winning a cup but i guess im old school like that.

There's this thing called the Champions League nowadays. Check it out.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

x43r0 wrote: »
    I'm heading up for Spurs on Sunday. Don't want to be a jinx but I've never seen Liverpool lose at Anfield in person (P10 W8 D2 L0) and I don't expect that to change

So don't worry lads ;)

I think I went about 15 games or so undefeated at the start as well, then went on a run of no wins in 7. I think I'm on a run of about 10 undefeated in a row myself now again though since the loss to utd at home at the start of last season, hoping to make it 11 on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Skrtel made no errors?

lol indeed.

he should've been begging his teammates for forgiveness after a John O'Shea equaliser.

there were at least 3 times he could've shepherded the ball out of play and given us some breathing space, and instead he panics and just hoofs it like a non-league defender.

his shirt pulling and man-holding is so silly, and he's just a parody of himself at this stage with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Anyone else shít themselves everytime a ball is played back to Mignolet??? He seems to take an eternity to get his feet sorted and get the ball away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

5starpool wrote: »
    I think I went about 15 games or so undefeated at the start as well, then went on a run of no wins in 7. I think I'm on a run of about 10 undefeated in a row myself now again though since the loss to utd at home at the start of last season, hoping to make it 11 on Sunday.

Haven't been to a lot of games, only 4 in total (:o) iirc and am currently on a 50% loss rate (or a 50% win rate if you want to put a positive spin on it).

Watch the games these days on dodgy streams so my jixing influence unlikely to be a factor in the title run-in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Isn't it great that the height of our worries are now small things like Mignolet's kicking and Skrtel's shirt pulling.

Not long ago it was Charlie Adam's inability to run, Stewart Downing's ability to pass forward etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kfallon wrote: »
    Anyone else shít themselves everytime a ball is played back to Mignolet??? He seems to take an eternity to get his feet sorted and get the ball away!

That did annoy me, both Migs feet (he'll never been seen on Dancing on Ice) and that the ball was played back to him a number of times, of course that was itself down at least in part to Rodgers failure to bring on Lucas after the second goal, the match was crying out for some management from the manager and he did nowt. Cout off Lucas on, Sterling on Johnson off, move Hendo to RB. That would have been the wise thing to do. Protect the back line while using Sterlings pace to beat Sunderland on the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

x43r0 wrote: »
    I'm heading up for Spurs on Sunday. Don't want to be a jinx but I've never seen Liverpool lose at Anfield in person (P10 W8 D2 L0) and I don't expect that to change

So don't worry lads ;)

Yeah, but... What's your matchthread win ratio like? :P

Said it last night in the thread, his footballing is horrible. Luckily his goalkeeping is pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

mike65 wrote: »
    That did annoy me, both Migs feet (he'll never been seen on Dancing on Ice) and that the ball was played back to him a number of times, of course that was itself down at least in part to Rodgers failure to bring on Lucas after the second goal, the match was crying out for some management from the manager and he did nowt. Cout off Lucas on, Sterling on Johnson off, move Hendo to RB. That would have been the wise thing to do. Protect the back line while using Sterlings pace to beat Sunderland on the break.

Failure? Tough crowd, we still won. If lucas came on we would have dropped deeper again and invited more pressure on us. Rodgers has proved plenty of times this year how his in game management has improved and has fixed things before.

On mignolet, ive lost times the amount of times he recieves the ball, panics and lofts it out the right hand side of the pitch for a throw about half way from the half line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Forget finishing 3rd ... look forward! not over our shoulders. We have 3rd in the bag.

It certainly is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Knex. wrote: »
    Yeah, but... What's your matchthread win ratio like? :P

I wouldn't dare dip my toe in that area of things

Match threads are started by men with bigger balls than my own :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

It's looking like we're gonna score in or around the same amount of goals this season as we did in the previous two seasons combined.

Unbelievable Jeff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/159979-steven-suarez-gave-me-nod-of-approval

"I don't usually get a go at them," said Gerrard. "Suarez has been magnificent on set-pieces but sometimes you need people to step in and I got that one.

"Suarez let me take one! He wouldn't let me take one at Cardiff, but it doesn't matter who gets the goals."

Last night's strike takes Gerrard's career goal tally to 170, just two shy of Anfield legend, Kenny Dalglish.

mike65 wrote: »

Tbh Mike it's not just last night, it's been from the first game of the season v Stoke! I just know someday he's gonna be closed down/robbed of the ball costing us a goal! Seems he wants to take about 3/4 touches on the ball when he should be concentrating on one touch (if he has time) and then distribute the ball to someone else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Second video request. Someone posted (i think it was on this thread) a video of some of the ivory coast lads answering questions. One was dubbed over. Anyone got a link?

Love this pic!

1207364-25213052-640-360.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Love this pic!

Guy love, between 2 guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Love this pic!

torres-and-gerrard-steven-gerrard-and-fernando-torres-2912788-449-306.jpg

Reminds me of this beautiful couple... :(

DDC1990 wrote: »
    torres-and-gerrard-steven-gerrard-and-fernando-torres-2912788-449-306.jpg

Reminds me of this beautiful couple... :(

Gerrard traded in his old model for a new better one! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

klose wrote: »
    If lucas came on we would have dropped deeper again and invited more pressure on us

Can't agree with this at all. We had Suarez and Sturridge (then Sterling) available as outlets, and Coutinho was a luxury that should have been replaced when we were under so much pressure. Bringing on a guy who closes players down and ensures you keep the ball by passing well (if a little unambitiously) does not mean you necessarily drop deep. Trying to hit long balls, all or nothing stuff, as prevailed in the last 20 minutes, meant that the ball kept coming back. We needed to pass the ball better, keep our shape. I thought Coutinho played well but he definitely was not harrying or closing people down in the last half hour like he was in the first hour or so.
    klose wrote: »
    Rodgers has proved plenty of times this year how his in game management has improved and has fixed things before.

Agreed, but that does not mean he doesn't still make mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Morzadec wrote: »
    Very difficult to a win a league (and obviously a Champions League) without a sustained period of CL qualification to use as a platform to attract and afford the top players.

Might be obvious, but this is why we all strive for CL football, why it is so important.

Really it's the more ambitious view.

Winning the FA Cup is great but does little to alter your status. It does not allow you access to a higher calibre of player.

The reason we want CL football, the reason we prioritise it, the reason Dalglish's season ultimately wasn't good enough, is because we see Liverpool as a top team, a big club.

The top teams, the big clubs, exist to win their domestic league and the Champions League first and foremost. That's where we all want us challenging.

The odd minor cup will inevitably come our way anyway if we have consistently reached this level

I see the position loud and clear.

Ultimately though, it reads like a general Arsenal fans view from 10 years ago (seriously, read it again imagining your an Arsenal fan from 04) and pretty much a constant view they hold now. They have been indoctrinated into the ways of 'money' is a trophy. Problem is, they rarely if ever spend it, they dont compete for signatures with others in the CL, they have the highest ticket prices in the country and they celebrate 4th like it really is a league trophy.

Great big healthy portions of apathy and cringe. I will have given up watching football if LFC becomes a club with 'great' players and a 'great' manager etc but collects nothing except pay cheques and more sponsors and considers that a good job done.

Greatness is defined by what you win, not what you compete in.

In any case, this bogus CL is just a baby step to a European league, in 20 years lads will be travelling to Poland for a Saturday league game if the governing bodies get what they want and Watford will be winning the English league title because the EPL will be considered like the league cup is now.

But who cares..........we will have cash, more cash.

Jaysus, Torres' hair :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

When did Michael Bolton play for Liverpool?

No doubt another Hodgson signing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Knex. wrote: »
    Jaysus, Torres' hair :pac:

That's not Torres.....It's SmileyJ1987.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Fizman wrote: »
    When did Michael Bolton play for Liverpool?

No doubt another Hodgson signing!

Uhhhh Hodgson....Shivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

speak not his name

Turtyturd wrote: »
    That's not Torres.....It's SmileyJ1987.

Bet he was in a Kings of Leon tribute band and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,924 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A Suarez hat-trick on Sunday against Spurs and he overtakes Torres as a Liverpool goalscorer.

I heard a few embryonic Daniel Sturridge chants last night, and I saw on twitter that a Rodgers song was attempted as well, so it'd be good to get decent songs for those 2 in place for the end of season trophy parade :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

daithijjj wrote: »

Ultimately though, it reads like a general Arsenal fans view from 10 years ago (seriously, read it again imagining your an Arsenal fan from 04) and pretty much a constant view they hold now. They have been indoctrinated into the ways of 'money' is a trophy. Problem is, they rarely if ever spend it, they dont compete for signatures with others in the CL, they have the highest ticket prices in the country and they celebrate 4th like it really is a league trophy.

Great big healthy portions of apathy and cringe. I will have given up watching football if LFC becomes a club with 'great' players and a 'great' manager etc but collects nothing except pay cheques and more sponsors and considers that a good job done.

In any case, this bogus CL is just a baby step to a European league, in 20 years lads will be travelling to Poland for a Saturday league game if the governing bodies get what they want and Watford will be winning the English league title because the EPL will be considered like the league cup is now.

Unfortunately that's just the way it is these days. I'd prefer it like when I was young and Cup wins were massive, Liverpool usually won the league and we were big boys, but it is what it is!

We can scoff at Arsenal all we like, but they've a new stadium built and nearly paid for AFAIK. Getting Anfield redeveloped and keeping us in the CL will be a hard enough task for us. I suppose it is long term thinking by Arsenal but not very fan pleasing, probably most of us would prefer league titles and CL trophies if it meant no new Anfield.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

So Mike's the bitter Liverpool fan with Arsenal tourettes.......just wanna apologise to 'The Kerrigooney'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

This is kinda backwards - The governing bodies (UEFA and their various subcommittes) are happy with the current setup and would want to maintain it.
    The threat of a Euro League and trips to Poland on a Saturday has traditionally come from the clubs and their G14/G20 secret societies, and the Champions League was originally set up when the possibility of such a breakaway was imminent in the early 90s.
    Rather than a 'baby step' towards a European League the CL was meant to put a stop to the idea - and has largely succeeded in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Re "Anyone else shít themselves everytime a ball is played back to Mignolet???".

No, but I do get nervous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It's an odd by product of Liverpool doing well this season that the set of fans on here that seem to have the biggest problem with it is Arsenal's for some reason. I mean the United fans obviously don't like it (which is fair enough really) but seem to grudgingly accept it. Starting to feel Mourinho might have had a point.

Granted a certain somebody was on the wind-up today but they've pretty much dismissed Liverpool all season over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

It's an odd by product of Liverpool doing well this season that the set of fans on here that seem to have the biggest problem with it is Arsenal's for some reason. I mean the United fans obviously don't like it (which is fair enough really) but seem to grudgingly accept it. Starting to feel Mourinho might have had a point.

He's been spouting so much crap I no longer keep track.. :D
    What point was that??

K-9 wrote: »
    Unfortunately that's just the way it is these days. I'd prefer it like when I was young and Cup wins were massive, Liverpool usually won the league and we were big boys, but it is what it is!

We can scoff at Arsenal all we like, but they've a new stadium built and nearly paid for AFAIK. Getting Anfield redeveloped and keeping us in the CL will be a hard enough task for us. I suppose it is long term thinking by Arsenal but not very fan pleasing, probably most of us would prefer league titles and CL trophies if it meant no new Anfield.

The dynamic is easy enough to change but there has to be a will to change it. The only reason the CL has taken over is because of the disparity with money over other comps. That disparity should not be there and the responsibility lies with the governing bodies who are basically slaves to the $ and overloaded with corruption.

If a CL place was awarded to the FA cup winners the whole thing would change, the seriousness of winning it and how clubs approach it would change. The fact the rulers of the game have let it slide into obscurity is a self made problem, not a problem that should have arisen. That's why the Europa league will have a CL spot next year, all of a sudden it will be something worth winning again.............but........you will have to actually win it..........and.............its a change made to rectify the mistake that they made in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Daniel Sturridge ‏@D_Sturridge 37m
    I'm honoured to be the fastest player since the 1890s to score 30 league goals for Liverpool FC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Arsenal of 10 years ago never seen where they'd be now, it was a club on the rise and had a really good team. Fast forward and they still have the big nights in Europe which is as fans, as much as we can expect these days. Competing with the big guys means needing to overtake Arsenal for the next 10 and that in itself will be some accomplishment. We have all but wrapped up the CL this season but to repeat it as well as sustain a title bid is something to aspire to.

The bigger European league idea has been around as long as i can remember now and it if it were to ever happen it would have gone ahead a decade ago. No way are they getting away from the PL until the sky money goes and then some! Its pie on the sky. Sure they might alter the CL and what method they use for groups etc, but there will not be any super league of note for many years to come.

As for Arsenal treating getting 4th as winning something, i put alot of that down to the manager and his failings.

In fairness, a lot of that stems from the fact that some LFC posters are not exactly covering themselves in glory with posts in their thread lately. That, combined with the fact that LFC have a large number of fans anyhow, some of whom I'm sure are being insufferable at the first whiff of league success in nearly a quarter of a century, makes it easy for them to want to keep success away from us. also, from their POV, a stronger Liverpool allied to the richness of Utd/City/Chelsea makes things more difficult for them to keep in the CL picture. In the next 5 years it is hard to see any of those 3 consistently outside of the top 4 (assuming Moyes either somehow pulls it together or else a competent manager is brought in), so it seems like it is either them or us, with Spurs/Everton other potential, but less likely at this point, threats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Granted a certain somebody was on the wind-up today but they've pretty much dismissed Liverpool all season over there.

Think it is a case of them accepting that City and Chelsea with the money behind them were going to be the contenders for the title and CL places, with United being in the mix as well. Then a tier below was expected to be Liverpool and Spurs, with Everton or Newcastle or some other over-performing teams being in the mix for the Europa places. Now it seems that Liverpool will be contenders, United will have to invest or their stock will devalue, so there is a real possibility of Arsenal going from title contenders to having a few years of europa league and the FFP implications and reduced revenue and prestige associated with that.

There was an interesting view on the stats the other night and the basic issue was that there are 4 places with CL revenue that will be fought for by 6 teams. Miss out for a year, bad, but recoverable. Miss out for 4 years plus and you could end up drifting further from even being able to compete at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Off thread I know.....but f*cken hell this is a bit much IMO. Remember Fergie making the plea to the supporters to back the new manager?

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/united-fans-plan-flyover-calling-for-moyes-sacking-1.1740181

David Moyes’s problems at Manchester United have intensified after it emerged supporters are planning to send a plane over Old Trafford during their game against Aston Villa on Saturday pulling a banner calling for him to be sacked.
    Arrangements are being made for the plane to carry a message “Wrong One - Moyes Out” as a response to the “Chosen One” banner that has hung inside the stadium since the former Everton manager was appointed as Alex Ferguson’s successor.

This is kinda backwards - The governing bodies (UEFA and their various subcommittes) are happy with the current setup and would want to maintain it.
    The threat of a Euro League and trips to Poland on a Saturday has traditionally come from the clubs and their G14/G20 secret societies, and the Champions League was originally set up when the possibility of such a breakaway was imminent in the early 90s.
    Rather than a 'baby step' towards a European League the CL was meant to put a stop to the idea - and has largely succeeded in that.

That's nonsense tbh. They have been talking about expanding the CL to 64 teams for years now.........you know why they wont do it yet?. Money, dilution of the comp. They'd do it tomorrow if the sponsors werent telling them not to.

They have already agreed a change to qualification criteria from 2015. A further tiny step to have more clubs involved. There's potential there to have 20% of the entire EPL in the champions league from 2015.......and then we kick the can a few more times down the road........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think it'd be great if all the regulars here decided not to post in any of the other teams mega threads for the rest of the season.

As a sort of big 'all that fcking matters is Liverpool' crusade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

5starpool wrote: »
    In fairness, a lot of that stems from the fact that some LFC posters are not exactly covering themselves in glory with posts in their thread lately.

Oh without a doubt some lads would want to cop on a bit but they have had a rather dismissive superior attitude all season over there. Great club and have a lot of time for Wenger but can't stick any set of fans that boo their team off the field every 2nd or 3rd week like they do. Wouldn't be taking any lessons in support from that fanbase anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I think it'd be great if all the regulars here decided not to post in any of the other teams mega threads for the rest of the season.

As a sort of big 'all that fcking matters is Liverpool' crusade.

As cool as this would be ,it would lead to the death of Boards as a Football forum if our amazing wisdom and insight was limited to one thread.

The dynamic is easy enough to change but there has to be a will to change it. The only reason the CL has taken over is because of the disparity with money over other comps. That disparity should not be there and the responsibility lies with the governing bodies who are basically slaves to the $ and overloaded with corruption.

If a CL place was awarded to the FA cup winners the whole thing would change, the seriousness of winning it and how clubs approach it would change. The fact the rulers of the game have let it slide into obscurity is a self made problem, not a problem that should have arisen. That's why the Europa league will have a CL spot next year, all of a sudden it will be something worth winning again.............but........you will have to actually win it..........and.............its a change made to rectify the mistake that they made in the first place.

Money chases money. You're right and it would be great to see a more level playing field but I think that horse bolted when the Champions League became the also non Champions League, there's too much money to be made so any radical restructuring of it is out.

Tbh I don't think your idea of a European league is that outlandish, the moves with hosting the European Chmapionships in different cities, a Nations league, that type of stuff makes it a real possibility in 10/20 years.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

As cool as this would be ,it would lead to the death of Boards as a Football forum if our amazing wisdom and insight was limited to one thread.

But that would mean no "as a Liverpool supporter" posts! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

There's potential there to have 20% of the entire EPL in the champions league from 2015.......and then we kick the can a few more times down the road........

There already is 20% of the EPL in the Champions League.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement