Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Tickets for the game sorted . Win the league and I'm going as a full kit wanker !

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Tickets for the game sorted . Win the league and I'm going as a full kit wanker !

Newcastle?

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Newcastle?

No Liverpool vs rovers . So a good chance alot of boardsies will see me . Approach me for a pic if you want .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Morzadec wrote: »
    Snap! Got my first shirt aged 6 with Rush on the back in 1994. And had the same spell aged 15/16 where I wouldn't say I lost interest, but it certainly waned a little bit.

Fowler 23!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

It is like a soap opera really, it is so compelling that it's hard to turn away from the drama that unfolds after each result rolls in. This whole aeroplane thing is just the icing on the cake really. They couldn't even go 1 season without making a complete show of themselves in the most embarrassing fashion. Blaming the manager as a scapegoat when there is no magic wand to cover the fact that the squad are just nearing the end of the road.

Long may it continue and we should make no apologies for enjoying the show they put on. Doubly funny since we are the ones cashing in on their fall from grace.

This is it really. It's a fascinating story more than anything else.

It is probably the number 1 story from Europe this season. Bayern winning the CL again would rival it as we would be talking about a truly great team, but the demise, the capitulation, it's fascinating viewing and I don't know how anyone can expect us to just ignore it.

I honestly think it's ridiculous why we can't have a thread on the United/Moyes situation, seperate from the United discussion thread, given the fact it is of huge interest to all football fans.

I can understand United fans getting a bit sensitive and reading others interest and increased posting in their thread as purely being on the windup, but really we have to talk about it somewhere and unfortunately with no other thread it has to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i see Marca are starting with Suarez transfer rumours
    i think its fair to say Real are going try desperatley to get him in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not sure who's writing for The Metro these days but it's just delicious troll bait.... http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/28/why-manchester-uniteds-fans-prevent-their-club-from-ever-being-as-great-as-liverpool-4681282/

MD1990 wrote: »
    i see Marca are starting with Suarez transfer rumours
    i think its fair to say Real are going try desperatley to get him in the summer

If they want him he will cost more then bale .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

gafferino wrote: »
    I would be happy to see Everton take 4th - it means Arsenal/Spurs/Utd wouldnt get it and thus reduce their appeal to the top calibre of footballer. United probably still will due to their wealth and history but it would mean players wanting to play CL football for an English club will come to us, City or Chelsea - I cant see Everton having a large budget or be a good longer term option for 'top top' players.

One of the main benefits of Everton getting 4th would be hopefully they keep Chelsea/City/UTD away from Coleman, Barkley and Baines for a bit longer.
    It looks unlikely though unless they go on a great run (they have ARS, UTD & City) and Arsenal don't win their bankers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

rob316 wrote: »
    Fowler 23!

Same :D Think that was hand-me-down though. Fowler 9 was probably my first proper one.

I was also gutted when Fowler was injured for World Cup 98. 7 years old, and I was practically inconsolable, apparently :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    One of the main benefits of Everton getting 4th would be hopefully they keep Chelsea/City/UTD away from Coleman, Barkley and Baines for a bit longer.
    It looks unlikely though unless they go on a great run (they have ARS, UTD & City) and Arsenal don't win their bankers.

Coleman, Barkley and Baines are not so good that we should be worried about them going to our rivals.

All 3 clubs have the clout to go after better players from the continent in each of those positions.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Pre match presser at 2 I assume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Agueroooo wrote: »
    ---puts on flame retardant jacket---

I have a little hope in me that Everton get that 4th spot.

I think the majority of Liverpool fan's would feel like that tbh. There's a healthy local rivalry there but (at least from my armchair position in mid-West Ireland) none of the bitterness etc associated with certain other teams. Was actually mildly miffed when Arsenal knocked them out of the FA Cup a few weeks ago.

If you also factor in that at least one (and possibly all 3) of ManU, Spurs and Arsenal will have a new manager next season and will hopefully continue to be in relative states of disarray for the start of next season, then having Everton nick that 4th spot would be even sweeter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

5starpool wrote: »
    Pre match presser at 2 I assume?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Fowler 23!

McManaman 17!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Fowler 23!

My first one was Fowler 23 also, got it for my birthday when I was 7. The away one with the green and white squares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I still view myself as young... But then I read this thread and people who seem to be adults but were born in the late 80's are posting... Very confusing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Colemania wrote: »
    My first one was Fowler 23 also, got it for my birthday when I was 7. The away one with the green and white squares

Kvarme 3
    Aquilani 4

I dont get names anymore.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I have slagged united fans for years calling them glory hunters, while they laughed at us in midtable. Its easy to support a team when they are winning, but when they are losing is when you see the real fans.

Ive supported Liverpool since I was 6, roughly about 1994. Admittedly I lost interest in football in general around 2002 for a few years (teenage years :D).

1999 was a terrible time to be a Liverpool supporter, just ****ing awful United did a clean sweep, a domestic and European treble. And let me tell you there was numerous people in my class at the time defected to united.
    Those same people where/are the ones pissing and moaning in my facebook feed about Moyes. They just had 25 years of unprecedented success but they can't take one season off the top?

Real childish stuff like 'I cant bear to watch this team anymore' and 'Im not supporting united until they sack David Moyes'

David Moyes is the wrong man imo and while I detest Ferguson, I respect him and he has earned the right to put his faith in a man he thinks will take the club forward.

Some people just like to back a winner and a terrible losers, that's not me personally. I have two mates who follow West Ham and Leeds and they have been through the mire, they still go to about 10 games a season each of them, I just have huge respect for that.

Any united fan under 30/35 has only every known success.

Hold on a minute. United fan here, just want to make a few points as we're not all spoiled kids whining and crying.

I've been following United since around 1981, I've known the dark days and what it's like to follow a mid-table team, albeit one capable of winning the odd FA Cup. And it was tougher to handle even then as I was a teen and the ribbing from gloating Pool fans was sickening!

Anyway, unlike the glory hunters (who are children basically), I feel like I've earned the right to make some valid points about the current situation. There are a lot of genuine fans seriously peeved at what's happening and it's not because United are not going to win the league. I was all set for a couple of seasons without winning the title. Boo hoo, so what. No big deal, it happened for three years in a row under Fergie but you could see he had a plan and that soon enough United would be back challenging again. And he was committed to attacking football.

The issue with Moyes for a lot of genuine fans is that has turned a Premier League-winning team into a largely unwatchable Sunday morning pub league outfit. I can see why Pool fans think we're all spoiled but I can't think of any major team who have such a turnaround in fortunes so quickly and of course that's going to be hard to handle. Losing games is hard to take but someone has to. However, it's the manner in which United are losing and the sheer lack of anything resembling a vision from Moyes. He appears utterly clueless at times and it's little wonder many fans have had enough of him, even before he has completed one season.

Of course the fact that Liverpool have turned their fortunes right around at the exact same time makes it a hundred times worse. You've every right to gloat and laugh and mock as we did it when you lot were getting humped by teams down near the bottom. That's the very essence of a great rivalry. I'm just making the point that many United fans are up in arms for different reasons than many of you think.

I'm not going to be all nice and say fair play to you for coming along to challenge city and Chelsea. It sickens my hole at the prospect of Liverpool winning the league. I'd take either of the other two to win it over you lot any day of the week and that's the way it should be. But remember there are many, many genuine United fans who are not spoiled by success and simply would like their team to play some entertaining football for a change. It's not an unreasonable demand.

And as for those of you saying you genuinely don't give a fcuk about United...really?? Myself and a Pool supporting friend are always accusing each other of being 'obsessed' with the other's team. And there's a certain element of truth to that. Of course your team is your No 1 priority but outside of that you always want your biggest rivals to fail and there are no bigger rivals around these parts than United and Liverpool.

20 times...

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I still view myself as young... But then I read this thread and people who seem to be adults but were born in the late 80's are posting... Very confusing...

Ya, I was on my J1 in NYC during France 98, and legally allowed to drink as well. It's all very disconcerting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Enough talking sense thegreengoblin.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Kvarme 3
    Aquilani 4

I dont get names anymore.....

I've had:

Owen 10 (he left a month later)
    Keane 7 (left 2 months later)
    Diouf 9 (as soon as he joined and was deemed the next best thing)

More of the better ones:
    Riise 18
    Carragher 23
    Torres 9
    Alonso 14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Colemania wrote: »
    I've had:

Owen 10 (he left a month later)
    Keane 7 (left 2 months later)
    Diouf 9 (as soon as he joined and was deemed the next best thing)

More of the better ones:
    Riise 18
    Carragher 23
    Torres 9
    Alonso 14

I remember a Manchester United supporting friedn getting Larsson on the back of his jersey, he couldnt understand that he was ON LOAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Of course your team is your No 1 priority but outside of that you always want your biggest rivals to fail and there are no bigger rivals around these parts than United and Liverpool.

20 times...

As a Liverpool fan, I would tend to agree, and as a Liverpool fan, agreeing with a ManUtd fan is something that, as a Liverpool fan, I find incredibly difficult to do as a Liverpool fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Old boys news - Albert Riera has joined Watford on loan

Conor Coady

Jordon Ibe

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

First name on the jersey for me was Karl Heinz Riedle - 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

The issue with Moyes for a lot of genuine fans is that has turned a Premier League-winning team into a largely unwatchable Sunday morning pub league outfit.

However, it's the manner in which United are losing and the sheer lack of anything resembling a vision from Moyes. He appears utterly clueless at times and it's little wonder many fans have had enough of him, even before he has completed one season.

But remember there are many, many genuine United fans who are not spoiled by success and simply would like their team to play some entertaining football for a change. It's not an unreasonable demand.
    20 times...

Exactly the response i'd expect. On one hand you are a longtime supporter, with a deep sense of sickening when Liverpool used to gloat at you back in the day. You call yourself a GENUINE fan that who is not spoiled by success ... yet on the other hand, you have given up on your manager, ridicule him in public and question his methods all because he is not entertaining you. So this makes it right?

Go and take a deeper look at WHY your team is playing with no confidence and no respect for the fans that are paying their wages! It is down to the manager somewhat, but weren't this exact group of players the ones that entertained before? Played without fear, took title after title, backed their manager to the hilt and never questioned him even when he himself made some strange decisions that always payed off?

... but of course you don't believe that, its the scapegoats fault. All him and nobody elses. not even the guy that made the board hire him!

No it is not an unreasonable demand ... and who knows if he gets a chance to clear out the deadwood then maybe the players will stop feeling sorry for themselves as much as the fans do - and start entertaining again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Barnes 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

No name...just the grey away jersey with number 8 on the back. If there had been names on the jerseys back then it would have been Houghton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

George Allan 1895/96

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Dicks 3.

Nah it was really Rush 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

In the early 80's there were no names on the back so I just had the number 7. If you have to ask who for, get out of this forum :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Have a 'Coutinho 10' one at the mo and the last 2 Uruguay home jerseys with 'Suarez 9' on it!

God bless the cheap jersey sites of Thailand :D

Benimar wrote: »
    In the early 80's there were no names on the back so I just had the number 7. If you have to ask who for, get out of this forum :p

Paul Walsh, obviously.

First one fowler 23, it was 1995

Bij-0RhCQAACYU2.jpg:medium

I also had this one, in my house and to this day I still don't know where it came from as none of my family or extended family at the time were Liverpool supporters, all united.

It is my favourite Liverpool jersey ever and I actually still have it, not framed or anything but Im going to give it to my son, when he is a small bit bigger.

c1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

McManaman 17, gold jersey with embroidered crest all over it. still have it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

That last one is lovely.

An update of it would be awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

tok9 wrote: »
    That last one is lovely.

Its very slimming, said Jan Molby;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,916 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Macca looks like he could still play.

This was my favourite away jersey as a kid. Next season's one is very like it I believe.

liv81assponsor_z.jpg

• Advertisement

Palace might do us a favour tomorrow, though looking at their results the honeymoon period seems to be over for Pulis.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

First jersey I ever had, would have loved the 3rd kit (it was the white and red reversed on this one) but they only sold the 1st and 2nd kits in those days

liv87hsdetail.jpg

K-9 wrote: »
    Palace might do us a favour tomorrow, though looking at their results the honeymoon period seems to be over for Pulis.

They'll rediscover it in time to play us at Selhurst park probably. I hate it when we play Pulis teams.

tok9 wrote: »
    That last one is lovely.

This was the nearest we have had, another savage jersey it was. It was the very last jersey I bought 08/09 - torres no.9 on it.

new-lfc-away-shirt-2008.png

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

They'll rediscover it in time to play us at Selhurst park probably. I hate it when we play Pulis teams.

the purer the football the stronger the Pulis antidote.

we are going to have to be really patient in that one I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,916 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This was the first one I had.
    extra_football_shirt_5803_1.jpg

I had a notion they were a couple of points clear so there might be a chance they'd be safe by the time we play them, doesn't look like it. Typical Pulis team, don't score much but tight at the back.

Eto'o is out but it has 1-0 or 2-1 to Chelsea written all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Those crown paints jerseys were always amazing. And the grey one is just a bona fide classic. Will always associate John Barnes with the two of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

kfallon wrote: »
    First jersey I ever had, would have loved the 3rd kit (it was the white and red reversed on this one) but they only sold the 1st and 2nd kits in those days

liv87hsdetail.jpg

What was the away one for that season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kfallon wrote: »

liv87hsdetail.jpg

That was the first one I got too.I got it off my cousin in Germany . It was a good few years before I got a name on a jersey, got Rush. Was over a decade before I got another one, got Hamann and the patcheson the CL jersey in 05.Still have all my old jerseys.

Have a Cardiff jersey with Fowler on it (vintage blue :-) )

On the subject of being old, I was at the Holland game in Euro 88. I was young, bunked in with my dad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement