Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

gosplan wrote: »
    Hypothetically, if it were not being offered elsewhere, would you take 80 million for him from Arsenal?

Last year I probably would have. Now I wouldn't.

I'd see why the club would take 80 from Real or Bayern though

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Grayditch wrote: »
    I didn't realise Sturridge was in tears at the after the whistle. Scoring goals means absolutely everything to him in every game.

Has to take a large portion of the blame today for me. Yes he is on a great run but Suarez has been moved to accommodate him and is a lot less potent as a result. Sturridge had 3 good chances to score and I reckon Suarez would have put one away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Webb didnt have the bottle to give the second penalty just like he didnt have the bottle to give Gerrard a second yellow. Poldolski and Sterling had clear as day yellows as well not given. Hope he doesnt ruin someones world cup.

Anyway disappointed to be beaten today as another game with Everton would have been a distraction from our run of "12 cup finals" ;-) Dont believe the title is possible but top 3 sure is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

ush wrote: »
    Most important 12 games since Istanbul

That sounds eerily close to something Houllier would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

Won't pretend like I didn't fancy winning the FA Cup but with a decent performance from the team today I'm still very hopeful of Top 4!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

We played well enough to win the game, didn't take our chances. Still i've seen enough in the last few games to say that we are deffo going in the right direction. Looks like we can beat any team on any given day, hasn't been like that in a while. Onwards and upwards and 3 pts in our next game will help us forget about the cup defeat. Come on you Red men! :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Why is it OTT to think by not getting CL football might impact on the club over the next 10yrs, if it means losing a player who comes around probably once in a lifetime?

Suarez staying and giving us his best years could elevate the club, but I fear losing him puts us back circa 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Has to take a large portion of the blame today for me. Yes he is on a great run but Suarez has been moved to accommodate him and is a lot less potent as a result. Sturridge had 3 good chances to score and I reckon Suarez would have put one away.

We were just talking the last day that you never feel like Sturridge is going to miss a chance. Well he missed 3 good ones today. Before today he might have only missed 3 chances the entire season.

Sturridge was greedy at times today but tbh I don't want to be too critical of the fella, he's been fantastic this season.

Win v Swansea next week by any scoreline and I'll be happy

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Sturridge was greedy at times today but tbh I don't want to be too critical of the fella, he's been fauntastic this season.

Win v Swansea next week by any scoreline and I'll be happy

Yep it would help to quickly forget.

my 13points slippage is still intact.

12 games to go and still 13points allowed to be dropped with a 96% chance of CL qualification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Hey one plus point no more Michael Owen until next season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Another good performance from Ilori today, really like the look of him. Great that he is out on loan and getting some regular games at a high level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

^^
    Ilori's passing is excellent
    i think he will be a great CB for us in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not really...look at Spurs. They have been in and out of the CL places over the last few years. Qualification for the first time hasn't created their path for the following decade.

They had 'arry in charge though, not really a CL level manager/coach/tactician I would say, if LFC get back in I think they get assemble the talent to retain that place (all other things being equal), even if its at the expense of really trying to challenge in the Champions League at the first go.

The manager should take the blame for Suarez being somewhat marooned on the right, not Sturridge :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Highly impressive. Especially his passing range. Wont get that much time on the ball in the EPL though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

MD1990 wrote: »
    ^^
    Ilori's passing is excellent
    i think he will be a great CB for us in the future

He is scary quick as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Hey one plus point no more Michael Owen until next season

Hows this? If this is trues its Rodgers best bit of business in February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Why is it OTT to think by not getting CL football might impact on the club over the next 10yrs, if it means losing a player who comes around probably once in a lifetime?

Suarez staying and giving us his best years could elevate the club, but I fear losing him puts us back circa 2009.

Because its an exaggeration, a gross exaggeration.

Its akin to saying that had we signed a specific player of similar age and ability to Suarez in 2004, it would have affected where we are today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

jenno86 wrote: »
    Hows this? If this is trues its Rodgers best bit of business in February.
    We've no matches left this season to be aired on BT Sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

byte wrote: »
    We've no matches left this season to be aired on BT Sport.

The last 6 games of the year havent been selected by sky/bt yet so id say there will be 1 or 2 more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

klose wrote: »
    The last 6 games of the year havent been selected by sky/bt yet so id say there will be 1 or 2 more.

I think there was something about BT only being allowed to air a certain number of league games for each team and the Arsenal game last week maxing out their Liverpool tally. So now that we are out of the FA Cup they won't be showing more LFC games this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I think there was something about BT only being allowed to air a certain number of league games for each team and the Arsenal game last week maxing out their Liverpool tally. So now that we are out of the FA Cup they won't be showing more LFC games this season.

7 I think.

On another note...the match threads seem to be getting worse by the game. I was never a big poster in them but I'm avoiding them completely nowadays...awful stuff.

Lads in trolling the bejaysus out of them and not a word and as soon as someone calls them out,they're warned. Ridiculous really.

That Ilori sure has pace yellow boots. I like his eye for a pass and that he clearly has the speed to mop up should he err and its also good for shepherding a ball out of play for the goal kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Fabianski is out of contract in the summer, we could do worser things than try to get him in as competition for mig next year. As good a 2nd choice goalkeeper you'll see (casillas aside..) ive been pretty impressed anytime ive seen him play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mignolet has been a good signing great shot stopper
    but he is stuck to his line & very reluctant to come for crosses.He should have came for Fulham's 2nd goal on Wednesday.
    Maybe its to do with the facial injury he recieved a few years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Speaking of keepers, I though Jones did well today.

A couple of kicks when arseways but other than that he didn't do much wrong.

Gbear wrote: »

He was crap and in your heart even you know it! Jones is a keeper who makes Doni look like Gordon Banks.

Do not swerve from this established narrative. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Is it true that's liverpools 7th straight defeat when webbs being in charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I really wish people would stop judging players based on Youtube videos...

I watched the entire Granada-Betis game and while Ilori did play very well, you have to realise that Betis are bankrupt, have had the heart of their team ripped out through players being solid or out injured. The one man who somehow got them promoted two years ago and managed to keep the ship afloat is now in charge at West Brom. Given the circumstances, it was very easy for Ilori to be pinging the ball about the field and looking excellent while doing so.

Let's wait and see how the lad does against the likes of a Sevilla or a Valencia before we start singing his praises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Gbear wrote: »

I dunno... when he palmed the ball over for a corner when he could a) have caught it with ease or b) let it go over the bar since it was going over... Arsenal scored from that time of pressure. Was a very poor decision. His distribution was awful too... especially in the last minute.

Honestly think he's prob the worst backup in the league. Tho ofc thats biased by the fact i don't really know all the backups. :P

8th one now

klose wrote: »

BT gambled that Liverpool would not be in the mix coming to the end of season so to get subscribers and knew Liverpool would be big ratings maxed out on Liverpool games

BT can only show a team 7 times max and have to show each team at least 2 times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

8th one now

That true? That's mad if it is.

According to BT they said 7 games during the game so after today it's the 8th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

MD1990 wrote: »
    Mignolet has been a good signing great shot stopper
    but he is stuck to his line & very reluctant to come for crosses.He should have came for Fulham's 2nd goal on Wednesday.
    Maybe its to do with the facial injury he recieved a few years ago

I've been very impressed with him so far but he does lack that presence that I think keepers should have, we'll need him to be more commanding when we play utd and they stick a million crosses in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

According to BT they said 7 games during the game so after today it's the 8th

With their track record for 'facts' we probably won the game he reffed before the Chelsea one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

8th one now

In the past 3 years we've won 3 of 12 league games where he was in charge ( drawing 2).

15 yellow cards

Doesn't show cups

http://lfcstats.co.uk/howardwebb.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Somethings up with that. Probably be charged by the FA for mentioning it though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭garra

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

He has a wand of a right foot and looks a composed player with pace to burn, himself and Sakho could be a fantastic pairing. Cant tell from these vids how useful he is against bigger lumps in aerial challenges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

mike65 wrote: »
    He was crap and in your heart even you know it! Jones is a keeper who makes Doni look like Gordon Banks.

Do not swerve from this established narrative. ;)

He was okay today but he didn't gave much to do really. One good save from Ozil was hugs highlight today.
    He is still a poor keeper for the level the team is trying to reach and if he had an extended run n the team it would be hazardous.

Is there anything to be said girl getting Kirkland back? Looks fetching in a baseball hat. Maybe he could wear a Red Sox one, it would push our brand appeal in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

I think it's time to stop making excuses for mediocrity. The better team won undoubtedly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

I think it's time to stop making excuses for mediocrity. The better team won undoubtedly.

The same way Man City were the better team against Chelsea. But when it really mattered in the league match they werent ?
    I'll take beating Arsenal in the league over the cup tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

7 I think.

On another note...the match threads seem to be getting worse by the game. I was never a big poster in them but I'm avoiding them completely nowadays...awful stuff.

Lads in trolling the bejaysus out of them and not a word and as soon as someone calls them out,they're warned. Ridiculous really.

Pent up frustration does that, Arsenal got revenge and the United fans on it haven't much else to do.

Good enough performance today, next 4 games are important, Swansea and Sunderland at Home, Southampton and United Away. Definitely capable of getting 7/8 points out of those and keep on track for 77.

After that it's a relegation team, rival for 4th/3rd, relegation team, rival, repeat.

The last 2 games could do with Palace being relegated and Newcastle just being shyte, because teams with nothing to play for are like hen's teeth.

Fixture comparison wise there isn't a hell of a lot in it, people can get a bit obsessed with who teams have to play (says he who did a table), yeah, we've one more top 8 game but so have Everton and more interestingly City, 4/5 of theirs are Away. I'd say Chelsea are the team with the advantage there, 4 left, 3 at home and us away. Arsenal don't have it easy either, 3/4 away.

Bottom 12 not a while lot in it, it evens out here for City as they've 6 at home, Arsenal 5. Chelsea have the most Away. We've one less of these games than everybody else.

Top6_fixtures_17022014.png

Spurs have a huge March and we'll know a lot about them by the time they play us, play Chelsea away, Arsenal and Southampton at home before us, they've the best Away form in the league so that's a worry. They've more games against bottom half teams, their last 6 games but they're all fighting relegation. Normally the notion about difficulty of playing relegation battling teams is a bit of a myth with a couple of notable exceptions, but with up to 11 teams possibly in a battle, it's bound to mean something this season!

Arsenal are kind of similar in that they've Spurs, Chelsea and Everton away and City at Home all in a row, their last 5 games are bottom teams.

Chelsea a bit similar again, 5/6 are bottom half teams with us in between.

City are more spread out and they've a tough away run so I doubt they are going to run away with it as many thought a month ago.

Anyway, back to my original point, the next 4 games are crucial to keep us on target for 76/77 because we've probably the toughest run in, our games against the top are more spread out over the season, whereas the rest tend to be bunched together, loads of draws there please!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

The same way Man City were the better team against Chelsea. But when it really mattered in the league match they werent ?
    I'll take beating Arsenal in the league over the cup tbh

Did you even watch the City game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Yawn. The only thing mediocre here is your attempt to get a rise.

garra wrote: »
    He has a wand of a right foot and looks a composed player with pace to burn, himself and Sakho could be a fantastic pairing. Cant tell from these vids how useful he is against bigger lumps in aerial challenges.

Hopefully the pair of them can be good enough to be apart of the CB pairing for the next ten years. Think its a good idea to have Lori getting game time outside England first. We'll need all our CBs to compete in all competitions next season.

Yawn. The only thing mediocre here is your attempt to get a rise.

Why answer it then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Why answer it then?

Because I clearly don't have your self-restraint Charles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Got into a few spats last week with some Pool fans in the match thread but was unable to post today. Watching the game was nail biting though.

Thought ye deserved a draw today to be honest. Suarez penalty that wasn't given was a stonewaller and I really amn't trying to stir it here but that GIF going around of Webb's viewpoint maybe explains why he didn't. But no arguments - if it wasn't given to us I would be raging.

Cazorla penalty incident would have been soft and the Gerrard decision was 50/50.

We rode our luck anyway and needed that win. Be a shame to have drawn it with two needless penalties had it materialised that way.

Anyway ye have 12 games left and I genuinely would not bet against ye winning the League with the performances in the last 8 days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement