Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Because I clearly don't have your self-restraint Charles.

I do my best not to bother with it ,granted it can be hard at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I do my best not to bother with it ,granted it can be hard at times.

You're dead right - I should probably take a break from this place for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

klose wrote: »
    Fabianski is out of contract in the summer, we could do worser things than try to get him in as competition for mig next year. As good a 2nd choice goalkeeper you'll see (casillas aside..) ive been pretty impressed anytime ive seen him play.

He's leaving to play games so I doubt he'd be happy stepping into a #2 situation again. Supposed to be better than Szczesny in training. Just can't bring it onto the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

cson wrote: »
    He's leaving to play games so I doubt he'd be happy stepping into a #2 situation again. Supposed to be better than Szczesny in training. Just can't bring it onto the pitch.

Had a stormer yesterday. Should bring his stock up no doubt.

So on reflection. Did arsenal do us a favour yesterday by allowing us to focus on the league?

And yes I know, cups are important etc, so no need to point that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Vicxas wrote: »
    Had a stormer yesterday. Should bring his stock up no doubt.

So on reflection. Did arsenal do us a favour yesterday by allowing us to focus on the league?

And yes I know, cups are important etc, so no need to point that out.

Don't think they done us any favours but we definitely won the more important game out of the two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Got into a few spats last week with some Pool fans in the match thread but was unable to post today. Watching the game was nail biting though.

Thought ye deserved a draw today to be honest. Suarez penalty that wasn't given was a stonewaller and I really amn't trying to stir it here but that GIF going around of Webb's viewpoint maybe explains why he didn't. But no arguments - if it wasn't given to us I would be raging.

Cazorla penalty incident would have been soft and the Gerrard decision was 50/50.

We rode our luck anyway and needed that win. Be a shame to have drawn it with two needless penalties had it materialised that way.

Anyway ye have 12 games left and I genuinely would not bet against ye winning the League with the performances in the last 8 days.

Brown nose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

K-9 wrote: »
    Pent up frustration does that, Arsenal got revenge and the United fans on it haven't much else to do.

Good enough performance today, next 4 games are important, Swansea and Sunderland at Home, Southampton and United Away. Definitely capable of getting 7/8 points out of those and keep on track for 77.

After that it's a relegation team, rival for 4th/3rd, relegation team, rival, repeat.

The last 2 games could do with Palace being relegated and Newcastle just being shyte, because teams with nothing to play for are like hen's teeth.

Fixture comparison wise there isn't a hell of a lot in it, people can get a bit obsessed with who teams have to play (says he who did a table), yeah, we've one more top 8 game but so have Everton and more interestingly City, 4/5 of theirs are Away. I'd say Chelsea are the team with the advantage there, 4 left, 3 at home and us away. Arsenal don't have it easy either, 3/4 away.

Bottom 12 not a while lot in it, it evens out here for City as they've 6 at home, Arsenal 5. Chelsea have the most Away. We've one less of these games than everybody else.

Top6_fixtures_17022014.png

Spurs have a huge March and we'll know a lot about them by the time they play us, play Chelsea away, Arsenal and Southampton at home before us, they've the best Away form in the league so that's a worry. They've more games against bottom half teams, their last 6 games but they're all fighting relegation. Normally the notion about difficulty of playing relegation battling teams is a bit of a myth with a couple of notable exceptions, but with up to 11 teams possibly in a battle, it's bound to mean something this season!

Arsenal are kind of similar in that they've Spurs, Chelsea and Everton away and City at Home all in a row, their last 5 games are bottom teams.

Chelsea a bit similar again, 5/6 are bottom half teams with us in between.

City are more spread out and they've a tough away run so I doubt they are going to run away with it as many thought a month ago.

Anyway, back to my original point, the next 4 games are crucial to keep us on target for 76/77 because we've probably the toughest run in, our games against the top are more spread out over the season, whereas the rest tend to be bunched together, loads of draws there please!

Has Sunderland being rescheduled? We'll hardly be playing them on Monday 10th now with them playing the cup that weekend. Sunderland now have 3 league games to rearrange as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

garra wrote: »
    He has a wand of a right foot and looks a composed player with pace to burn, himself and Sakho could be a fantastic pairing. Cant tell from these vids how useful he is against bigger lumps in aerial challenges.

I think he would make a great sweeper in front of Sakho and Skrtel. Has the passing ability to play midfield, would allow out FBs to push way on having him protecting the CBs, and has the pace to cover across the pitch. If we didn't already own him, I'd sign him!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Raheem Sterling.

discuss...

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Raheem Sterling.

discuss...

he's good at football is that chap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Has Sunderland being rescheduled? We'll hardly be playing them on Monday 10th now with them playing the cup that weekend. Sunderland now have 3 league games to rearrange as well.

Ah balls, was looking forward to watching this and having a few pints, was gonna be the official start of 'Cheltenham week' for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Raheem Sterling.

discuss...

A joy to watch, slaloms past players like they aren't there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Raheem Sterling.

discuss...
    needs to go on loan with a view to a free transfer :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Gbear wrote: »
    Speaking of keepers, I though Jones did well today.

A couple of kicks when arseways but other than that he didn't do much wrong.

My favourite one was when we had a goal kick late on, he was waving everyone forward and proceeded to kick the ball out for a throw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Raheem Sterling.

discuss...

He's gonna give someone whiplash one of these days, super fast with tidy control. Work on his final ball and finishing and we could well have a top player on our hands.

NukaCola wrote: »
    He's gonna give someone whiplash one of these days, super fast with tidy control. Work on his final ball and finishing and we could well have a top player on our hands.

Hes gotten so much better on the ball too. Hes not being bullied off it as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

12 games now for the club to be back in the elite. I'm 90% sure we will do it.

We need suarez to find his shooting boots again fast, he has been brilliant the ultimate team player but we need his devastating finishing for the run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Might have a look at this fabled Match Thread later on. Was out for the game yesterday (and stayed out too long after! *hic*), so avoided all that rigmarole.

Funnily enough, I've only gone out for three Liverpool games all year. Two of them were Arsenal games which we lost, and the third, I actually have no idea.

Anyways, may be avoiding going to the pub for games for a while now :D

Raheem Sterling.

discuss...

I agree with you, here. Great points, and overall a very well thought out and put forward argument.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That match thread... Don't. It's just Paulegend and Jacksparrow hitting each other with rubber swords.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    That match thread... Don't. It's just Paulegend and Jacksparrow hitting each other with rubber swords.

You have a remarkable way with words, good Sir :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Raheem Sterling.

discuss...

Would like to see him work on his shooting and composure in front of goal but he's quite young so there is plenty of time for him to get better.

Knex. wrote: »
    I agree with you, here. Great points, and overall a very well thought out and put forward argument.

:pac:

I will keep it simple.

He is my type of player and so glad he is in the red of Liverpool, or I would be one green envious guy.

His upper body strength has come on leaps and bounds since his first spell in the side, and at 19yrs of age we potentially have a world beater on our hands if his ceiling is as high as we all hope/expect.

absolutely guaranteed starter for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

Grayditch wrote: »

Rubber dildos more like

Might have a look at this fabled Match Thread later on. Was out for the game yesterday (and stayed out too long after! *hic*), so avoided all that rigmarole.

Funnily enough, I've only gone out for three Liverpool games all year. Two of them were Arsenal games which we lost, and the third, I actually have no idea.

Anyways, may be avoiding going to the pub for games for a while now :D

Grayditch summed it's current state pretty well. Arsenal fans fell fairly hard from their high horses and Orange tried his best but got schooled again.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I had to have a look at the match thread, there are discussions on a Manu Petit and Kevin Miralles tackles. I did't see either line out for either team yesterday.

Read one page about 3/4 way through thread, just after game ended, and its a clusterfuck.

Dear Jesus, some awful embarrassing stuff there.

Think it was Dcully who made a decent post, no spite at all in it, and was simply giving his thoughts on the game only to get a fairly spiteful post back.

I know its a minority on both sides, but they do make it shit for the rest of us. Some really sore Arsenal posters from the last day, it seems.

My thoughts on the game.

Thought we largely held our own and looks assured, which is great to see at the Emirates. Sturridge missed chances and Webb being inconsistent were the two main annoyances for me. The penalty comes third in that list, surprisingly.

Suarez and Sterling looked good, Agger was again poor, and Henderson's energy and running was missed.

Not too disappointed with the performance as we really are starting to look a more established and dominant team, but a home tie against Everton in the quarters would have been a cracker, so ultimately I am disappointed we got knocked out.

Arsenal were more clinical, and won the game playing Sanogo up front, who to be fair, isn't a patch on either one of our strikers. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

On another note...the match threads seem to be getting worse by the game. I was never a big poster in them but I'm avoiding them completely nowadays...awful stuff.

Lads in trolling the bejaysus out of them and not a word and as soon as someone calls them out,they're warned. Ridiculous really.

Spent a couple of hours last night watching youtube vids from the late eighties / early nineties (the RTE thread is great btw, read it). I suppose we forget now, but there was a huge rivalry between us and Arsenal towards the end of the old Division One. The 2001 FA Cup Final. Under Benitez we were occupying similar terrritory / the 2008 CL Quarter Final.

Younger fans may not see us as natural rivals, but older fans will.

Within the context of this season, the Utd fans on here are having a dreadful aul time of it and some of them will intend to camp it out on every one of our match threads for the rest of the season cheering every misstep. That's fine, some of our posters have done similar in previous years. Arsenal are navigating a critical juncture in their season, in many ways it's all on the line for them right now during these couple of weeks. The drubbing they received last weekend would have been awfully difficult for them to take and accept and reminded them of old failings. I can understand the reaction yesterday. It mirrored the performances of the team on the pitch. They NEEDED it.

Ultimately, I'd take the reaction in that thread yesterday every day of the week over the 'it's sorry to see such a great club as Liverpool in this state' stuff from the Hodgson era. It's nice knowing we're relevant at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

12 games at 1.85 PPG would give a total of 75 points (76 with g/d). Shirley that would be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Is it true that's liverpools 7th straight defeat when webbs being in charge
    8th one now
    Somethings up with that. Probably be charged by the FA for mentioning it though :pac:

Not true:

BgnozQrIAAAMqcC.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Not true:

BgnozQrIAAAMqcC.jpg:large

Should have know with BT and their research

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Michael Thomas.. that is all...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/155518-gerrard-defeat-won-t-halt-our-momentum

"Obviously we're going away really disappointed with the result but we can't be disappointed with how we played," he told the Liverpool Echo.

Remember that cracker that we lost to Chelsea in the CL in 08?

While not quite that, I hope this Arsenal game can have a similar affect. Consolidate the belief that we can go toe to toe with the top sides and be as good, if not better, than any of them. Hopefully we push on from here in the league.

Swansea next, and I'm looking no further than that. We need to be professional and get the job done. Can't afford the individual errors that we've seen for a lot of this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Spent a couple of hours last night watching youtube vids from the late eighties / early nineties (the RTE thread is great btw, read it). I suppose we forget now, but there was a huge rivalry between us and Arsenal towards the end of the old Division One. The 2001 FA Cup Final. Under Benitez we were occupying similar terrritory / the 2008 CL Quarter Final.

Younger fans may not see us as natural rivals, but older fans will.

Within the context of this season, the Utd fans on here are having a dreadful aul time of it and some of them will intend to camp it out on every one of our match threads for the rest of the season cheering every misstep. That's fine, some of our posters have done similar in previous years. Arsenal are navigating a critical juncture in their season, in many ways it's all on the line for them right now during these couple of weeks. The drubbing they received last weekend would have been awfully difficult for them to take and accept and reminded them of old failings. I can understand the reaction yesterday. It mirrored the performances of the team on the pitch. They NEEDED it.

Ultimately, I'd take the reaction in that thread yesterday every day of the week over the 'it's sorry to see such a great club as Liverpool in this state' stuff from the Hodgson era. It's nice knowing we're relevant at the moment.

That last sentence being especially pertinent. I like when people really go out of their way to want us to lose, means we're doing something right.

• Advertisement

Nothing worse than pity. Empathy I can deal with, pity certainly not.

Nothing worse than pity. Empathy I can deal with, pity certainly not.

Yeah. I'd like to empathise with United for having Moyes in charge, but I pity them. He is completing a Hodgson-esque destruction of that club and I must admit I find it funny.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Yeah. I'd like to empathise with United for having Moyes in charge, but I pity them. He is completing a Hodgson-esque destruction of that club and I must admit I find it funny.

It will take more than Moyes and one season to cause any major destruction of Utd.

enjoy it while it lasts but don't subscribe to some of the crap talk from other Liverpool supporters about Utd empire coming to an end, or with them being 'finished'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Swansea v Liverpool comes 4 days before the 2nd leg of the EL tie against Napoli, obviously it could all be over by FT this Thursday but hopefully they will have something to play for and so play a lesser team to Liverpool.

Spurs play Liverpool 4 days before the quarter final first leg in the EL should they still be in it.

Liverpool play Man City 3/4 days after the 2nd leg of the CL quater final should they still be in it

Liverpool play Chelsea between the CL semi final legs should they still be it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

mike65 wrote: »
    Swansea v Liverpool comes 4 days before the 2nd leg of the EL tie against Napoli, obviously it could all be over by FT this Thursday but hopefully they will have something to play for and so play a lesser team to Liverpool.

Spurs play Liverpool 4 days before the quarter final first leg in the EL should they still be in it.

Liverpool play Man City 3/4 days after the 2nd leg of the CL quater final should they still be in it

Liverpool play Chelsea between the CL semi final legs should they still be it in.

I think it's fair to say Swansea and Spurs will each prioritise their league games.

• Advertisement

Just looking at our rivals for top 4.

Arsenal have a tough game midweek and home v Sunderland. I'm expecting them to win the league match. Anything else is a huge bonus for us.

Spurs are away in Ukraine Thursday and then away to Norwich Sunday. Travelling could be a factor.

Everton away to Chelsea Saturday morning.

City home to Stoke Saturday following their match v Barca tomorrow

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Wonder if Michu will be back for our game, if not the Napoli one. Heard he's not far off returning. Badly missed him this season.

Hopefully Kono does some damage to Spurs, though in turn it'll probably re-ignite Spurs interest in him come the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I posted the exact same when one of the United match threads was in meltdown before Xmas, scoffing and WUM's are to be expected, it's when the more decent posters start taking pity on fans having to watch crap football, that's the real low!

I used to hate Arsenal, that goal in 89 cut deep, twas my birthday. Took Istanbul and wakening up on my birthday as European champions for the fifth time to wash away the bitterness! Chelsea replaced them. I don't really see why a Pool fan would hate them at this stage.

I'd say if you went through the main superthreads you'd have differing sections of posters who'd hate different clubs. My generation would have seen Everton and Arsenal as big rivals, then later United. Some of the older generation of Arsenal fans remember us being the one to match, and with us falling away the rivalry is more friendly. There's a couple that just hate Liverpool anyway, but you get that with all clubs.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Just looking at our rivals for top 4.

Arsenal have a tough game midweek and home v Sunderland. I'm expecting them to win the league match. Anything else is a huge bonus for us.

Spurs are away in Ukraine Thursday and then away to Norwich Sunday. Travelling could be a factor.

Everton away to Chelsea Saturday morning.

City home to Stoke Saturday following their match v Barca tomorrow

Potential points dropped for Chelsea there. Everton have a decent record against them at the Bridge. Always give them a game.

It will take more than Moyes and one season to cause any major destruction of Utd.

enjoy it while it lasts but don't subscribe to some of the crap talk from other Liverpool supporters about Utd empire coming to an end, or with them being 'finished'

Absolutely; sure when they get rid of him and get a decent manager in I reckon they'll be back, too big to fail so to speak. I guess one of the positives of this situation for them also will be to weed out the bandwagoner supporters also.

I will however enjoy it while it lasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

DrumSteve wrote: »

Why pity them? Disappointment is part of being a football fan, and a part a lot of them know fcuk all about. A season like this is long overdue for them

And Moyes is hardly destroying the club. One bad season, thats all hes guilty of. If he's sacked at the end of the season, he'll still leave a better squad to what he inherited, albeit without c/l football

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Why pity them? Disappointment is part of being a football fan, and a part a lot of them know fcuk all about. A season like this is long overdue for them

And Moyes is hardly destroying the club. One bad season, thats all hes guilty of. If he's sacked at the end of the season, he'll still leave a better squad to what he inherited, albeit without c/l football

Be interesting to see who they replace Vidic and Evra with.

I'm not sure if they will sack Moyes, and if they do it'll be an unproven like Rodgers was at a massive club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Pitying Utd and their fans? Ah give over lads. It's hilarious and always will be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Why has Suarez stopped wearing the bandage on his wrist?

K-9 wrote: »
    I posted the exact same when one of the United match threads was in meltdown before Xmas, scoffing and WUM's are to be expected, it's when the more decent posters start taking pity on fans having to watch crap football, that's the real low!

I used to hate Arsenal, that goal in 89 cut deep, twas my birthday. Took Istanbul and wakening up on my birthday as European champions for the fifth time to wash away the bitterness! Chelsea replaced them. I don't really see why a Pool fan would hate them at this stage.

I'd say if you went through the main superthreads you'd have differing sections of posters who'd hate different clubs. My generation would have seen Everton and Arsenal as big rivals, then later United. Some of the older generation of Arsenal fans remember us being the one to match, and with us falling away the rivalry is more friendly. There's a couple that just hate Liverpool anyway, but you get that with all clubs.

Not hate for me tbh. I dislike the club dunno if they register enough for hate though. I think the 'everyone hates us line' seems to be something confined to their fans on here who are obviously oblivious to Charlie Nicholas.

Have no issue with them hating Liverpool in return. It would just be a lot better if they were upfront about it instead of coming in here posting false niceties then going back to their thread and doing the opposite. At least with the United fans you know where you stand. :D

On the topic of two faced posters though, Knex if you want me to take you up on that valentine proposition I need you to defend my honour against this ****. :pac:
    bad2dabone wrote: »
    hilarious.

as for the other ****, about 90% of his posts are typical smalltime snipes against arsenal. It's like he's got arsenal-tourettes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement