Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

On a broader point. Do ye guys think that Rodgers will get money in the summer to stengthen or will it be another case of no money available ?

All depends on CL I'd imagine.

Even if we get 4th I'd imagine he'll have to wait until we see can we overcome the qualifier.

That's why top 3 would be fantastic as he'd be able to start planning from May.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Don't really care how true it was, it certainly fits with how he plays on the pitch is the point. And I just liked how it was phrased! :)

Hence the second part of my post!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

On a broader point. Do ye guys think that Rodgers will get money in the summer to stengthen or will it be another case of no money available ?

I hope so.

the owners need to back this guy as he is the real deal imo.

otherwise we might have a situation were our managers abilities surpass the ambition of the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Pardew might be hearing this soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

gafferino wrote: »
    Didnt that turn out to be total BS though? Probably true in Hendersons case.

Yep if its the guy im thinking of. That guy got called out by the mods in a pretty damning way. Mods posted up screenshots of conversations with him asking him for evidence of his connection with the club.

It ended up that he made it all up and didnt realise it would get so out of hand. Some sad people in this world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,678 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

punk_one82 wrote: »
    I must admit I wasn't a fan of Henderson when he came to Liverpool first. Every single quote about him be it from the manager or other players speaks volumes about the lad though. He stayed when he could have left and fought for his place. He's really developing into a very good player and his work rate/attitude is excellent. Absolute workhorse on the pitch, and quite clearly in training too.

Me either , but he had been great this season, credit to him self and the management that we are seeing him playing like he is

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I reckon so, apparnetly there always is money there for the right player at the correct price. If we get CL football we will have a broader market to choose from, although we will still stick closely to our policy of not paying over the odds or being bent over.

We also will be a bit more attractive to players given the brand of football we are playing and the apparent atmosphere at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I do have faith in the owners, be it blind or not, that if we get CL football, we'll see adequate spending this summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I think keeping hold of Suarez this summer will really help us attract the players we need. I would imagine that the majority of players in world football would love to play with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Reina, maybe one of Agger/Skrtel, Johnson and possibly one of Borini/Aspas out the door as well.

I'd have to hope €50/60 Million was made available to spend as a minimum requirement if we get CL.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Reina, maybe one of Agger/Skrtel, Johnson and possibly one of Borini/Aspas out the door as well.

I'd have to hope €50/60 Million was made available to spend as a minimum requirement if we get CL.

We'll be lucky to get 5m for Reina
    8/10 for Agger
    5 for Aspas

That's about 20m, I'd like to think the owners will put more than 30m of their own money in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

What ever money is made from getting champions league football will be spent on players . The owners have always said the club will spend what it has . So it should be an extra 30 million or whatever the figure is for for group stages on top of what ever else the club has put by for the summer .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What BS is this? The club was going to spend 16 million on Konoplyanka in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I was a fan of the owners up until January. Someone really fcuked up the transfer window imo, be it the owners not giving the cash, Ayre messing up negotiations or the targets not being right. One or two proper signings that are still needed and we'd be real title contenders right now.

The type of players who'd just tip us over the edge against the likes of Hull, Southampton and Villa. I'm still very bitter over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Think all that matters right now is the 12 remaining games.

Despite it being an awful cliche, those games really have to be treated like 12 cup finals.

Saw an interesting stat last night which surprised me a little. We are closer to first place in terms of points after 26 games this season than we were after 26 games in the 2008/09 season.

We were 7 points off of first after 26 games in 2008/09, and we are 4 points off after the same amount of games this season.

12 massive games. 12 games that give Rodgers an outside chance of pulling off something that would be bigger than our CL run in 04/05.

When a fan starts to dream it can be something that leads to heartbreak, but I sure as hell hope that some of our players are starting to dream and that it puts some extra fire in their bellies. Sone of the senior players certainly seem to have sensed there is a chance, however slim, and their reactions after goals have reflected this.

One thing I do know is that if, at 15:00 on Sunday May 1th, we are in a position where three points can still win the title on, then I am confident that I will be sat in an Anfield that is louder than the one I sat in when we played Chelsea in the CL semi final in 2005. That for me is the dream.

Ah stop. I can't handle it :(

I have to agree with one point in particular of that post Kess.

The lads on TAW the other day said that Gerrard celebration against Fulham wasn't the celebration of a man gunning for 4th play, he knows we have a chance of actually winning this league, he might not say it in public but that celebration said all we need to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The lads on TAW the other day said that Gerrard celebration against Fulham wasn't the celebration of a man gunning for 4th play, he knows we have a chance of actually winning this league, he might not say it in public but that celebration said all we need to know.

I think they're trying to keep a level head about it.

We all love to dream lads, I was too young to remember the last time Liverpool won the League. If they won it this year I would openly weep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I love that post Kess the only huge difference for me is that we're chasing down 3 teams as opposed to the one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Are we allowed spend €50-60 million with these FFP rules we are trying to adhere to?

• Advertisement

I was out on Saturday and when a Liverpool fan asked me about the league without hesitating I said Liverpool will win the league . I have that feeling deep down inside me that LFC can win it . The last time I had such belief in the team winning a trophy was 05 . I said from the last 16 on wards Liverpool would be champions of Europe .

Vicxas wrote: »
    I think they're trying to keep a level head about it.

We all love to dream lads, I was too young to remember the last time Liverpool won the League. If they won it this year I would openly weep.

They are trying to keep calm when being interviewed but that celebration, in my eyes, shows that he believes we have a chance of the title.

djPSB wrote: »
    Are we allowed spend €50-60 million with these FFP rules we are trying to adhere to?

With FFP you can spend what you earn . So I can't see the club not being able to spend more with champions league football .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

mike65 wrote: »
    What BS is this? The club was going to spend 16 million on Konoplyanka in January.

They were going to do a lot of things. Never quite do though

Been a critic of Gerrard on many things over the years, but there have been times since Xmas that I sat in my seat and did not recognise the man out on the pitch in front of me.

You can see hunger in him, and you can almost taste the desperation to win. It is a bloody wonderful thing to see in a person, that drive to suceed, and I hope it rubs off on the younger players around him.

I really hope he sits at home before every game and is thinking about how the remaining games could cement his legacy. I hope it appeals to his ego, and I don't care whether he wants to do it for his own glory, for the club, or for the fans, just as long as he keeps doing it for 12 more games.

For me I am very close to making that attitude jumpstart I got during the reigns of Ged and Rafa.

Ged restored some pride and gave a feeling of hope. Rafa fanned the flames of hope and turned it into belief and expectation. Rodgers is very close to turning a hope of chasing glory into a belief that we can actually fight for it.

Come on Sunday, and bring on Swansea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

I was out on Saturday and when a Liverpool fan asked me about the league without hesitating I said Liverpool will win the league . I have that feeling deep down inside me that LFC can win it . The last time I had such belief in the team winning a trophy was 05 . I said from the last 16 on wards Liverpool would be champions of Europe .

They can. But Its going to be difficult to get past both Chelsea and City imo. They have more games with CL but they also have assembled strong squads to cope with that

djPSB wrote: »

The likes of Reina, Johnson, Skrtel or Agger would be profits on player sales so that shouldn't be a big problem, also big wages off the books. The FA regulations mean we can only increase wages by £4 Million so they are important, actually more important that when we used to have the "wages saved" debates!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Kess73 wrote: »

When a fan starts to dream it can be something that leads to heartbreak, but I sure as hell hope that some of our players are starting to dream and that it puts some extra fire in their bellies. Sone of the senior players certainly seem to have sensed there is a chance, however slim, and their reactions after goals have reflected this.

Kess, considering the dross we have had served up over the past few seasons, the false dawns, watching the club at the edge of the abyss , just being in the position to be able to dream is wonderful.

I do think that, whatever Rodgers has said publicly, he's said something VERY different to the players. He can sense a shot at top spot too, he'd be insane not to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They were going to do a lot of things. Never quite do though

Well if that's your attitude....

• Advertisement

Just watching a video on Rodgers on YT. First bit of the video is a press conference of him saying that on average, you need 70 goals to qualify for the Champions League. We already have 66, City have 68 and Chelsea and Arsenal have 48 each. So on goal scoring alone, we're currently on title winning form.

Here's the video:

The likes of Reina, Johnson, Skrtel or Agger would be profits on player sales so that shouldn't be a big problem, also big wages off the books. The FA regulations mean we can only increase wages by £4 Million so they are important, actually more important that when we used to have the "wages saved" debates!

Not entirely true..that is an increase of 4m on the previous season, anything extra can be offset with new commercial revenues, I wonder what we did in January on that side...hmmmm :cool:

Seems less and less we, as a fanbase and the Club as a whole, are shying away from the challenge.

Cautious optimism for the season is being replaced, gradually, by confidence and an almost bullish belief. Its great to see how the team is performing right now, and inevitably that brings the fans along in a wave of belief.

We can actually tell people we believe Liverpool will win the league, and they can't laugh or call us deluded.

I'd nearly repeat that last line again. Look at Kess's posts above, there's a clear sense of hope and confidence in this team, whereas 6 months ago if anyone here said we believed Liverpool would win the title, he'd have nearly hit you with the ban hammer.

I suppose years of being mediocre and falling short has me somewhat apprehensive in my own belief, but **** it, this is what we follow the Club for and this is beyond everyone's expectations for the season. Far, far beyond.

I'm hopping on the coat tails and going to enjoy this run while I can. Who knows when next we'll be so close?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Think all that matters right now is the 12 remaining games.

Despite it being an awful cliche, those games really have to be treated like 12 cup finals.

Saw an interesting stat last night which surprised me a little. We are closer to first place in terms of points after 26 games this season than we were after 26 games in the 2008/09 season.

While I admire your optimism there is no way I'll be getting my hopes up just yet.

Our run of results in the last 12 games of 08/09 was astonishing if I remember correctly.. 11 wins and 1 draw.

If we were to pull off a similar result set now we would definitely win the title... I just can't see that happening.

Ged restored some pride and gave a feeling of hope. Rafa fanned the flames of hope and turned it into belief and expectation. Rodgers is very close to turning a hope of chasing glory into a belief that we can actually fight for it.

Come on Sunday, and bring on Swansea.

The team spirit and morale must be great. With Sunderland off 3 points are essential to lead us into Sothampton and United Away. 6 points out of those will set us up nicely for Spurs, which really is going to the game to decide if we are in a scrap for 4th or a decent shot at the title.

tok9 wrote: »

If we were to pull off a similar result set now we would definitely win the title... I just can't see that happening.

Exactly...thing is are any of the 3 ahead of us guaranteed to put together a run like that either? This season has been so off the wall that maybe, just maybe we can nick it.

Dammit Kess...I said I wouldn't get my hopes up

• Advertisement

Iang87 wrote: »
    I love that post Kess the only huge difference for me is that we're chasing down 3 teams as opposed to the one

Yes we are chasing down three teams, but two of those three have to come to our gaff.

It's not in our hands, but if we look after ourselves and keep picking up points then they cannot slip up.

They have more money, they have bigger squads, they have world class players, and right now they have more points. One of them should win the title , they should be fully expected to win it by their own supporters and the media, They have no excuses for mt winning the title, and that is real pressure.

We are just the underdogs, the plucky chasers if you will, and that takes away some of the pressure on us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Kess, considering the dross we have had served up over the past few seasons, the false dawns, watching the club at the edge of the abyss , just being in the position to be able to dream is wonderful.

I do think that, whatever Rodgers has said publicly, he's said something VERY different to the players. He can sense a shot at top spot too, he'd be insane not to

Youve got to remember also that Rodgers perspective on things is going to be very different to a player like Stevie, or for that matter Agger, Skyrtl, Johnson, Lucas or any of the other senior pro's who may not be here, or may not be playing as big a part in the team in Stevies case, over the next few seasons.

Rodgers is only starting & will potentially have plenty of chances to cement his Liverpool legacy. For some of those players, its now or never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

If Liverpool were level on points with Chelsea right now, I still would make City/Chelsea decent favorites for the title. 4 points behind, we're certainly outsiders. We have a chance, but I wouldn't be getting too carried away.

We are just the underdogs, the plucky chasers if you will, and that takes away some of the pressure on us.

A little horse perhaps?

Not entirely true..that is an increase of 4m on the previous season, anything extra can be offset with new commercial revenues, I wonder what we did in January on that side...hmmmm :cool:

It's hard to know when these things kick in and how they are structured, but they'll help no doubt. I suppose there's nobody at the club we'd have to take a big hit on if we sold them, Borini maybe the most, that will help us in the future too.

I'd hop we'd have €50/60 Million minimum because we'll need that to upgrade for CL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭garra

hefferboi wrote: »
    I was a fan of the owners up until January. Someone really fcuked up the transfer window imo, be it the owners not giving the cash, Ayre messing up negotiations or the targets not being right. One or two proper signings that are still needed and we'd be real title contenders right now.

The type of players who'd just tip us over the edge against the likes of Hull, Southampton and Villa. I'm still very bitter over it.

I think we all got our hopes up in expectation of a couple of new faces to cheer on, it didn't happen for a number of reasons - probably a combination of
    a) the right players were not available at the right price &
    b) in Kono's case, the club just didn't want to sell and therefore did not negotiate - there may have been other complications but if both teams wanted to do a deal, it would have been done.

Far from feeling bitter about it, I have taken on the more Zen-like attitude that if the players are right for us, they will not pass us by... and perhaps we will be relieved we didn't sign the Ruskie... I'm not exactly heart-broken on missing out on Salah for instance.

Plus it means more lolly for strengthening in the summer, as someone else mentioned it would be favourable to finish 3rd and have the financial forecasting (ie CL money accounted for) completed ahead of bidding on new recruits.

Yes we are chasing down three teams, but two of those three have to come to our gaff.

It's not in our hands, but if we look after ourselves and keep picking up points then they cannot slip up.

They have more money, they have bigger squads, they have world class players, and right now they have more points. One of them should win the title , they should be fully expected to win it by their own supporters and the media, They have no excuses for mt winning the title, and that is real pressure.

Biggest difference between this year and 08/09 is there's relativity no pressure on us this year. That alone could make the difference.

garra wrote: »
    I think we all got our hopes up in expectation of a couple of new faces to cheer on, it didn't happen for a number of reasons - probably a combination of
    a) the right players were not available at the right price &
    b) in Kono's case, the club just didn't want to sell and therefore did not negotiate - there may have been other complications but if both teams wanted to do a deal, it would have been done.

Far from feeling bitter about it, I have taken on the more Zen-like attitude that if the players are right for us, they will not pass us by... and perhaps we will be relieved we didn't sign the Ruskie... I'm not exactly heart-broken on missing out on Salah for instance.

Plus it means more lolly for strengthening in the summer, as someone else mentioned it would be favourable to finish 3rd and have the financial forecasting (ie CL money accounted for) completed ahead of bidding on new recruits.

To be honest, I ddn't really care if we signed either Kono or Salah. Would be very good additions to the squad, alright, but we could just as easily get them in the summer. We needed dynamic centre midfielder. Still do really, but to be fair, Gerrard and Coutinho have been excellent since Jan.

tok9 wrote: »
    While I admire your optimism there is no way I'll be getting my hopes up just yet.

Our run of results in the last 12 games of 08/09 was astonishing if I remember correctly.. 11 wins and 1 draw.

Thing is we are supporters. We can afford to get our hopes up. So what if those hopes get dashed. We can always let something else raise our hopes in the future.

But supporters with raised hopes make a lot of noise, and they will roar players on, even the less loved players, and if I was a player who was starting to think that there was a chance of a title medal, well I sure as hell would respond to 40,000 plus voices roaring me on and push that little bit harder which in turn would cause the volume to rise and the cycle repeats itself.

We may well crash and burn, but wouldn't it be fun to find out just how far we can go this season? To just take the shackles off and say "let's be fcuking having you" to any team that stands in front of us.

12 matches

12 rounds.

Go into the fight wanting the win, and you just might get it.

A United supporting friend of mine put this on Facebook earlier saying "any time now......right? :("

scouseboombustcycle1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

A little horse perhaps?

I think 'chihuahua' is the one we're going with.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If we were 3 points ahead of City, I'd still have them as favorites.

The brilliant thing is that we are in the mix for winning the league, and we havent been there is a while.
    The players seem to have changed thier outlook in that rather aiming for top 4, they are just aiming for top. This change in phsycology has a huge bearing on a team.

I wrote something before the season start about how Utd under Ferguson from day 1 would be talking about winning the league, same goes for City and CFC. Having that instilled in a team rather than a top 4 aspiration changes the outlook and sense of accomplishment in a team.

A little horse perhaps?

Suits me. Hell Rodgers can be our Frank Hopkins in that case.

Aim for 1st, and get 4th if you fail, or aim for 4th and get 7th if you fail.

Let those chasing us worry about us, and we will worry about those we are trying to catch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Norwich haven't conceded at home in the league since the United game in December, keeping out City the other week. Anyone fancy them to hold Spurs to a draw, or will Adebeyor sneak one in in the 86th minute?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement