Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

murpho999 wrote: »
    I thought the consensus was that the longer they stay in Europe would travel, injuries, recovery time etc would be a bigger advantage to us?

Well obviously, but neither of Arsenal and City was likely to progress were they?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

What we have to ask ourselves is when we do sign Kroos, will we play him at CB or RB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

One positive to take out the game tonight is that by 'my brother would beat your brother' rules we would beat Bayern 3-1 making us the best team in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

There is Arsenal fans actually hoping Spurs, yes Spurs, finish ahead of us.

You bitter fcuks have really got to some Arsenal fans.

tumblr_l9i3ucVqLV1qc073co1_400.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Turtyturd wrote: »
    One positive to take out the game tonight is that by 'my brother would beat your brother' rules we would beat Bayern 3-1 making us the best team in the world.
    yeah we beat Arsenal 5-1 so we would beat Bayern 5-3
    i can see us winning the Champions League easy next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Can't be real Arsenal fans if they want Spurs to finish ahead of anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I am losing track of who the bitters are here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    What we have to ask ourselves is when we do sign Kroos, will we play him at CB or RB?

Well midfielders can be made into world class cms apparently so i see no logic why it cant work the other way around. Stick kroos out wide, pace to burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

As an Arsenal fan, I don't condone this statement! Jesus, Spurs of all teams.

Everyone apparently :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

5live wrote: »
    Wait a minute...you need an excuse to have a midweek beer?:o

I need an excuse not to :o

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I certainly don't want Spurs to finish ahead of Liverpool. I want the old rivals of the 80's back. If we don't win the league I'd be delighted if Liverpool won it. Anything to keep it away from the nouveau riche clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

NukaCola wrote: »
    Along with Pogba and Vidal.......they'll have some midfield

I though there was another one with Reus in CM, that was a good one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Can anyone realistically see Pogba in a United shirt, though?

Well, apart from when you look here...
    pogba_2087494c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Im just watching lfc tv and aldos team of 87-88, and it just got me thinking if our current 11 would beat that team?[CENTER

brucie
    nicol gillespie hanson ablet

houghton spackman mcmahon barnes

beardsley aldo

this is the team that beat forest 5-0 in one of the greatest displays ever for a liverpool team, so you could put whealen in there instead of spackman normally

just wondering would any of our current side get in that team and could our current team beat them

personally i think the above back 4 and keeper stays the same, id put stevie instead of spackman or whealan,and of course luis most probably instead of beardsley,

i think if the 2 teams played 10 games in a row our current team might get 1 win and a couple of draws at best

what you guys think?[/CENTER]

Liverpool U18s are in the FA Youth Cup quarter finals against Reading, Liverpool beat them 4-2 in the Premier Academy League last November.

Here is a match report from tonight's 2-0 win filched from RAWK
    We really were the much better side throughout and our quality was evident, completely dominated the match from start to finish and got the comfortable win our play deserved. I missed the first ten minutes due to long queue's to get in (2000 fans turned up), so I may have missed something, but I can not remember Fulton making a save.

Our football was a joy to watch at times, with some really clever passing and interplay, Rossiter played well as the deepest mid, always available for the pass and always composed on the ball, ahead of him Brannagan, DTS, Wilson, Kent and Ojo all were good as an attacking unit, always looking for the ball and trying to make things happen with dribbles/clever runs. We had plenty of chances and piled on the pressure, but it did seem like the first half may end 0-0, until DTS struck to put us in the lead.

In the end the two goals were really similar, good play through the midfield, culminating into a pass to the overlapping Randall to drill it into the box. DTS got on the end of one in the first half, and Wilson in the second.

After the second goal went in Chirivella came on and they went down to ten due to injuries, and the game pretty much became a keep ball session, but Sinclair did almost finish off a great move right at the end. Perhaps the only disappointment was that we didn't get a few more goals, because our play merited it on the night.

All in all a good display, comfortable win and thoroughly entertaining evenings football.

Professor Tim explains

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10650048/Dnipro-v-Tottenham-Tim-Sherwood-has-eyes-focused-on-Europa-League-prize-in-Ukraine.html
    Tim Sherwood believes winning the Europa League for Tottenham Hotspur will do far more for his reputation as a manager than qualifying for the Champions League as he looks to balance the club’s ambitions with his own.

Spurs are desperate to return to European football’s top table and began the season with the main aim of securing a top-four finish in the Premier League. But their young manager bristled at the suggestion that ambition should come at the expense of pursuing silverware.

Somehow I doubt this will actually happen as they could be gonski by next Thursday but it could just help Liverpool if Sherwood really thinks they can win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Sure, no one can see them.

(apart from me, it seems).

Me too!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

mike65 wrote: »
    Professor Tim explains

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10650048/Dnipro-v-Tottenham-Tim-Sherwood-has-eyes-focused-on-Europa-League-prize-in-Ukraine.html

Somehow I doubt this will actually happen as they could be gonski by next Thursday but it could just help Liverpool if Sherwood really thinks they can win it.

That article sounds like a load of balls
    Europa league better than CL qualification and the money/prestige it brings?
    Yeah right

Bitter, bitter???? I still haven't gotten over the fact that on that night the 12yo devliman burst into tears in front of his Utd supporting Dad and brother

If it makes you feel better. I'll never forget the day God scored that hattrick against Arsenal, watched the match with my stepdad and stepbrother, Utd and Arsenal respectively.
    Utd Fan - Arsenal will hammer these.
    Fowler - goal 1, 2 and 3 in under 5 minutes there.
    Arsenal Fan - thanks for jinxing it.
    Liverpool Fan (me) - ha ha. Go fu@k yourselves.

Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah right

He doesn't really say that though - just says they want to go for both.

What else is he going to say, "fuck this competition we're in this week, it's stupid and smells."

• Advertisement

Me too, I thought hated Spurs more than Liverpool but I'm not so sure not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

United to sign Jesus Christ as he is lethal on the cross.

Ah sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Augmerson wrote: »

Ah sorry.

Really have to get it to him first time though, cause it takes him 3 days to rise again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Ah sorry.

Too soon, man. Too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ah sorry.

Henri Paul on corners?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

The whole Arsenal/Spurs rivalry is more of a geographical thing though, for people actually from the area. Most Arsenal fans on boards are likely to have far more friends who support Liverpool than Spurs so slagging etc would be better if Liverpool missed out. I say this as a Newcastle fan who would much rather beat United/Liverpool than Sunderland because I know more supporters of these clubs. I understand the intense rivalry for people from the area but that doesn't apply to most of us on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Mourinhos argument re champions league football isn't going to last long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Mourinhos argument re champions league football isn't going to last long

Which is?

Also that Sherwood interview seems to smack of him resigning to the fact he won't get CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    If it makes you feel better. I'll never forget the day God scored that hattrick against Arsenal, watched the match with my stepdad and stepbrother, Utd and Arsenal respectively.
    Utd Fan - Arsenal will hammer these.
    Fowler - goal 1, 2 and 3 in under 5 minutes there.
    Arsenal Fan - thanks for jinxing it.
    Liverpool Fan (me) - ha ha. Go fu@k yourselves.

Good times.

My Arsenal supporting brother was watching that game with me. He left the room when Fowler scored the first, and heard me shouting on the second and third but thought I was kidding. I mean, who scores 3 goals in under 5 minutes?? :D

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »
    Which is?

Also that Sherwood interview seems to smack of him resigning to the fact he won't get CL

I can't imagine he would actually be resigned to that, the gap is tiny and they are in good form. What manager would give up on something they were that close to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Yeah right

in 10 years time will people remember the europa league he won or the time he finished 4th???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Dickerty wrote: »
    My Arsenal supporting brother was watching that game with me. He left the room when Fowler scored the first, and heard me shouting on the second and third but thought I was kidding. I mean, who scores 3 goals in under 5 minutes?? :D

The same team that can get 4 (and could have had 8) in 20 :D

Paulegend wrote: »
    in 10 years time will people remember the europa league he won or the time he finished 4th???

By remember, you mean 'look up on Wikipedia'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Just watching Arsenal last night, it would make you appreciate the work rate and pressing of the likes of Henderson, Suarez and Sterling.

I know Arsenal played with 10 men for alot of the game but even up to that, the likes of Ozil look so half arsed in attempts to win the ball back.

Suarez would eat him for dinner. Literally.

Ah sorry.

No good. Sure he can only play one game a week. He does me dead after the effort he puts into each game and it's 3 days before he can rise again to train.

Not really in it for the money though, he threw he last agent out of the church when he saw that he was discussing business.

Has a bit of a drinking problem and strange rumours of cannibalism are circulating about him.

Does a lot of charity work for kids through the Shady Trees Association.

Can never see him going to Utd though, God is his father.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Paulegend wrote: »

Neither in 10 months, I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

djPSB wrote: »
    Just watching Arsenal last night, it would make you appreciate the work rate and pressing of the likes of Henderson, Suarez and Sterling.

I know Arsenal played with 10 men for alot of the game but even up to that, the likes of Ozil look so half arsed in attempts to win the ball back.

Suarez would eat him for dinner. Literally.

Go easy on Ozil. Have to give him till next year at least.

Really hope pool are in the CL next year but BR really needs to look at defence IMO.

Good CL clubs would carve through the Liverpool back line. They'd be great 6-4 games though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

gosplan wrote: »

Really hope pool are in the CL next year but BR really needs to look at defence IMO.

Good CL clubs would carve through the Liverpool back line. They'd be great 6-4 games though.

He has had rotten luck with injuries this season which hasn't helped.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

gosplan wrote: »

He does need to add to the defence, but it has to be added that rarely this season have Sakho, Agger, Skrtel, Enrique, and Johnson been fit at the same time. So Rodgers has not been able to field our strongest back line as a unit for any sustained run of games.

Agger has only just returned from a long time out. Sakho looks set to resume full training soon, Johnson is out, and Enrique is still out. So for the most part we have been playing with 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choice players in our backline.

Toure, Flanagan, and Cissokho would not have been regular starters for us if not for the injuries, and I am certain that we would not have seen the likes of Sterling, and Moses used in full back positions had it not been for injuries.

And who can forget those glorious games when we had to shove centre backs into the full back positions. The four centres backs back four game springs to mind.

We do need some quality additions at the back, no arguement from me on that, but we have been very unlucky this season with regards to injuries at the back as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So only Agger in contention for the weekend out of the injured pack?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Kess73 wrote: »
    He does need to add to the defence, but it has to be added that rarely this season have Sakho, Agger, Skrtel, Enrique, and Johnson been fit at the same time. So Rodgers has not been able to field our strongest back line as a unit for any sustained run of games.

Agger has only just returned from a long time out. Sakho looks set to resume full training soon, Johnson is out, and Enrique is still out. So for the most part we have been playing with 2nd, 3rd, or 4th choice players in our backline.

Toure, Flanagan, and Cissokho would not have been regular starters for us if not for the injuries, and I am certain that we would not have seen the likes of Sterling, and Moses used in full back positions had it not been for injuries.

And who can forget those glorious games when we had to shove centre backs into the full back positions. The four centres backs back four game springs to mind.

We do need some quality additions at the back, no arguement from me on that, but we have been very unlucky this season with regards to injuries at the back as well.

We need 2 senior fullbacks (assuming we have European football next year) to compete with/cover Johnson and Enrique.

I personally think we are well-stocked in the CB department. We have the likes of Wisdom and Ilori to come back from loan for added depth if neccessary.

I want to see how Sakho and Skrtel perform together. Our 2 best CBs at the moment (sorry Agger), a lefty and a righty.

If a top quality CB becomes available, perhaps we could think about offloading a centre-back and making a move. But we have other priorities, and I personally don't think it will be easy for us to attract/afford a significant upgrade in the CB department.

As has been mentioned we've been ravaged with injuries, and don't forget that Rodgers' approach is fairly cavalier - we attack quickly in numbers which is one of the reasons we're scoring a lot, but this inevitably leaves us exposed occasionally.

noodler wrote: »

Looks that way.

Sakho seems to be close to returning to full training, and by all accounts may be available for either the Southampton game on the 1st March or the Man U game on the 16th March (Sunderland game has been pushed back hence the gap between games)

Enrique is behind schedule with his recovery going by the comments Rodgers made a week or so ago, and who knows when Johnson will actually be first team ready.

noodler wrote: »

Johnson is back in training I thought, Sakho a few weeks away, and Enrique will be next season I reckon. Not sure about Lucas?

Good to have the likes of Allen and Agger back now, just when Toure needs a break and Henderson has a break (literally)...

Morzadec wrote: »
    We need 2 senior fullbacks (assuming we have European football next year) to compete with/cover Johnson and Enrique.

I personally think we are well-stocked in the CB department. We have the likes of Wisdom and Ilori to come back from loan for added depth if neccessary.

I want to see how Sakho and Skrtel perform together. Our 2 best CBs at the moment (sorry Agger), a lefty and a righty.

If a top quality CB becomes available, perhaps we could think about offloading a centre-back and making a move. But we have other priorities, and I personally don't think it will be easy for us to attract/afford a significant upgrade in the CB department.

As has been mentioned we've been ravaged with injuries, and don't forget that Rodgers' approach is fairly cavalier - we attack quickly in numbers which is one of the reasons we're scoring a lot, but this inevitably leaves us exposed occasionally.

Yeah think at least one quality full back is needed (left back), and would not be against bringing in a new starter at right back either, although I would be curious to see if Flanagan would be ready to take that spot from the start of next season.

I would take a quality right sided centre back if one was available in the summer. But if we had already sorted out our full back issues, then like yourself I would prefer to see other positions (centre of midfield for one) sorted first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yeah think at least one quality full back is needed (left back), and would not be against bringing in a new starter at right back either, although I would be curious to see if Flanagan would be ready to take that spot from the start of next season.

I would take a quality right sided centre back if one was available in the summer. But if we had already sorted out our full back issues, then like yourself I would prefer to see other positions (centre of midfield for one) sorted first.
    I dont see it, tbh.

Flanagan is a good RB but i dont think he will get to the level we aspire to.
    His positioning is awful at times and he doesnt offer much going forward. Some of those deficiencies may be eased with coaching but the best he will offer us is good cover when he replaces the starter. I know he is young but i cant see either him or Wisdom being regular starters for us.

5live wrote: »
    I dont see it, tbh.

Flanagan is a good RB but i dont think he will get to the level we aspire to.
    His positioning is awful at times and he doesnt offer much going forward. Some of those deficiencies may be eased with coaching but the best he will offer us is good cover when he replaces the starter. I know he is young but i cant see either him or Wisdom being regular starters for us.

I don't think his positioning is all that bad. He does get caught out from time to time, but not so much that it was as bad as Johnson earlier this season.

Of course if you were to say to me "well Kess what if we were offered someone like Clyne at Southampton for our right back slot?"

Then I would be saying yes please and you can bump all the rest down the pecking order. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Dickerty wrote: »
    Johnson is back in training I thought, Sakho a few weeks away, and Enrique will be next season I reckon. Not sure about Lucas?

Good to have the likes of Allen and Agger back now, just when Toure needs a break and Henderson has a break (literally)...

Hendo had his break, he was only on the pitch for 30 minutes last weekend :pac:

Everybody is expected back by the end of the month according to the head fitness guy last week.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

It seems agreeing with ref decision last night makes people anti-Arsenal! Some sensitive souls about.

K-9 wrote: »
    Everybody is expected back by the end of the month according to the head fitness guy last week.

Is that his name, Head Fitness Guy? Or is it Guy van Fitnesshead?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement