Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Im just watching lfc tv and aldos team of 87-88, and it just got me thinking if our current 11 would beat that team?[CENTER

brucie
    nicol gillespie hanson ablet

houghton spackman mcmahon barnes

beardsley aldo

this is the team that beat forest 5-0 in one of the greatest displays ever for a liverpool team, so you could put whealen in there instead of spackman normally

just wondering would any of our current side get in that team and could our current team beat them

personally i think the above back 4 and keeper stays the same, id put stevie instead of spackman or whealan,and of course luis most probably instead of beardsley,

i think if the 2 teams played 10 games in a row our current team might get 1 win and a couple of draws at best

what you guys think?[/CENTER]

any ideas on this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Paulegend wrote: »
    we aint going to spend more than 10 million on that position in the summer considering we have options. besides center defence on paper our attacking center mid is our strongest position.

Well considering you veiw on us getting Hummels, Shaw, Coleman, Moura, Keane and Basquets by loaning players in exchange.

I'm sure we could find more £10 million for a player in that position or sure we could loan out someome else Aspas maybe and get Messi as a back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Well considering you veiw on us getting Hummels, Shaw, Coleman, Moura, Keane and Basquets by loaning players in exchange.

I'm sure we could find more £10 million for a player in that position or sure we could loan out someome else Aspas maybe and get Messi as a back up.

:D touche

but in real world the difference is we will probably spend up to 50 million this summer at the most. that includes any player sales. i doubt we will see more than that been spent. if that figure is close to reality then how could we possibly spend money on that position?

we might however get a player who can play both there and out wide. that is very possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

any ideas on this??

I think football players and the game have evolved allot since then, making comparisons is difficult and of no relevance really. The current squad of players would beat the older team every time IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

well as far as im concerned suso will be like a new player coming to us. in terms of his "run" here never really got going. so he will be new to the team in a way. so he is an unknown factor. he has looked like he has a lot of potential though. (no reason why suso cant be backup to coutinho next season. coming on from the bench with 10 or so minutes to go and starting in the cup games)

alberto has looked decent and i think its fair that he can be mentioned as a backup player. (should be playing back up to suso in the cup games. perhaps they could both be slotted in for some games)

tex is young. unfair to think of him as someone who can fill a void but at his age next season he should be expected to play in at least up to 10 games (probably from the bench)

aspas could also play there.

we aint going to spend more than 10 million on that position in the summer considering we have options. besides center defence on paper our attacking center mid is our strongest position.

we need a wide player and to sort out the full backs. possibly a center back depending on who leaves. then we need a defensive type mid. i think they will be the areas we focus on this summer.

Tex looked just as accomplished as Suso or Alberto in his cameo against Fulham.

Was confident on the ball and didn't try to hide. Bearing in mind it was very tough game to make your debut in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I'd love if we could set up a b team and play it in the championship like in Spain. We'd have a handy team.

Reina
    McLaughlin/Kelly--Llori---Toure---Robinson/Smith
    Teixera
    Suso

Alberto

Ibe
    Assaidi---
    Borini

I think football players and the game have evolved allot since then, making comparisons is difficult and of no relevance really. The current squad of players would beat the older team every time IMO.

Did you used to watch that team of 88, i doubt this current team would get near it tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Did you used to watch that team of 88, i doubt this current team would get near it tbh

No way team of 88 are nearly in there 50s now. I fancy our current side

.......ok i have my coat

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

hefferboi wrote: »
    I'd love if we could set up a b team and play it in the championship like in Spain. We'd have a handy team.

Reina
    McLaughlin/Kelly--Llori---Toure---Robinson/Smith
    Teixera
    Suso

Alberto

Ibe
    Assaidi---
    Borini

I think there are talks of doing something like this.

....and I just found the thing i read on it -> http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/9165365/Scudamore-confirms-B-league-plans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭Thud

yes but the team of 88 prob went on the lash most weekends after their games (and possibly before), fitness levels would be day and night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

in 10 years time will people remember the europa league he won or the time he finished 4th???

Is this another joke or serious post?

Which memeber of our current would get into the 88 team only 1 for me.

brucie

houghton mcmahon barnes

beardsley aldo Suarez

I'd repalce Spackman with Suarez and go 433 that's about it really.

8-10 wrote: »
    Is this another joke or serious post?

what are you on about???

of course a manager is going to choose actually winning a trophy over finishing 4th place with a team he probably wont spend his career with.

just think Rafa at chelsea. it would have been ridiculous if he came out and said that 4th is more important to him than winning a trophy.

surely you dont need a lesson as to why????

4th place is not remembered. despite what wenger said it doesnt come with a trophy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Which memeber of our current would get into the 88 team only 1 for me.

brucie

houghton mcmahon barnes

beardsley aldo Suarez

I'd repalce Spackman with Suarez and go 433 that's about it really.

Gerrard ahead of McMahon.

djPSB wrote: »
    Tex looked just as accomplished as Suso or Alberto in his cameo against Fulham.

Was confident on the ball and didn't try to hide. Bearing in mind it was very tough game to make your debut in.

of course. im not denying that he looks quality. im just saying that the others have played and shown more with the first team. even if it is marginal. i think we would all agree that suso has shown more potential in his games at liverpool and on loan.

alberto and tex are players i like though

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Gerrard ahead of McMahon.

Said our current squad. Not when Gerrard was in his prime. In his prime he would be in the 88 team, not now he wouldn't get into it.

what are you on about???

of course a manager is going to choose actually winning a trophy over finishing 4th place with a team he probably wont spend his career with.

just think Rafa at chelsea. it would have been ridiculous if he came out and said that 4th is more important to him than winning a trophy.

4th place is not remembered. despite what wenger said it doesnt come with a trophy

Maybe it's just me but I don't even know what manager won the Europa League 5 years ago let alone 10! (looked it up - Mircea Lucescu, and actually should have known Rafa Benitez 10 years ago but he's not exactly remembered for that)

I think both are as forgettable as each other but maybe that's just me.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Slow day is slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

what are you on about???

Ah come on now any fool knows that 4th place is like the Championship Play Off victory, its not a cup - its the door to better a place full of money! I'd have CL qualification over a poxy EL title any day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Slow day is slow.

If you had a choice...

Would you fight ten duck sized Luis Suarez or one Luis Suarez sized duck?

Not at the time, I was too young. But have seen footage from that time and think the standard has improved allot since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

brucie

houghton mcmahon barnes

beardsley aldo Suarez

Would change to:

Brucie (at the start of the season I would have thought Ming)
    Nicol Sahko Hanson Enrique

Gerrard

Coutinho (sorry, he's got so much more in his locker than Ray) Barnes

Beardsley Aldo Suarez

Gillespie would struggle with more mobile players, he was OK but not of Lawrenson's class. LB a weak spot, Ablett was ok, great guy but not an international or top class LB, offered not so much going fwd..not that Enrique is top class, but shades it for me. Ablett was replaced by Burrows and Staunton soon enough after the 88 season. Ray's goalscoring record was not great and in the 2 seasons following 89 and 90 he played a lot less games. I dunno, for me he's a cult favourite but not one of the greats.

I see more potential in Coutinho than Houghton. Gerrard cn do everything McMahon can and more. I feel wrong leaving out Sturridge, but it's hard to drop Aldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

djPSB wrote: »
    If you had a choice...

Would you fight ten duck sized Luis Suarez or one Luis Suarez sized duck?

Ducks are at least as vicious as Suarez. One man-sized duck would be a ferocious beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Said our current squad. Not when Gerrard was in his prime. In his prime he would be in the 88 team, not now he wouldn't get into it.

He would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Assaidi after doing his knee ligaments. Out for 6 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

A duck...Ducks have no teeth...next question.

I am pie wrote: »
    He would.

He wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

boring.gif

A honey badger is more Suarez like. Crazy, little ****ers.

8-10 wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but I don't even know what manager won the Europa League 5 years ago let alone 10! (looked it up - Mircea Lucescu, and actually should have known Rafa Benitez 10 years ago but he's not exactly remembered for that)

I think both are as forgettable as each other but maybe that's just me.

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah come on now any fool knows that 4th place is like the Championship Play Off victory, its not a cup - its the door to better a place full of money! I'd have CL qualification over a poxy EL title any day.

of course. we are fans. we want champions league football.

all im saying is it makes sense that a manager will prefer to have a trophy on his cv rather than the sentence "i finished 4th that one year"

im not denying which is more important. im just saying that for a manager i can see why they would choose the opposite to us fans

if he is planning to be at spurs in 10-15 years from now then id be thinking he wants 4th over the EL but if he is using them as a stepping stone to further his career the it will be the EL he wants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Bg7xTpeCYAAlobL.jpg

Just for sh1ts and giggles

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    A honey badger is more Suarez like. Crazy, little ****ers.

they always go for the balls apparently, scratch the bejeebus outta them:eek:

Not at the time, I was too young. But have seen footage from that time and think the standard has improved allot since.

you would need to have watched them every week to understand how good that team really was, plus i dont think the standard has improved all that much, training methods and fitness yes, but you cant teach pure tallent

you would need to have watched them every week to understand how good that team really was, plus i dont think the standard has improved all that much, training methods and fitness yes, but you cant teach pure tallent

I disagree, You can get a fair idea of the standard of any given team by watching them play once or twice. The ball is moved an awful lot quicker today how do you account for that? If you took Suarez or Sturridge right now got in the delorean and went back to 88 do you think they would score more or less goals on average?

of course. we are fans. we want champions league football.

all im saying is it makes sense that a manager will prefer to have a trophy on his cv rather than the sentence "i finished 4th that one year"

im not denying which is more important. im just saying that for a manager i can see why they would choose the opposite to us fans

if he is planning to be at spurs in 10-15 years from now then id be thinking he wants 4th over the EL but if he is using them as a stepping stone to further his career the it will be the EL he wants

Which one do you think it is then based on the team he's put out tonight? And the players he has on the bench?

Bg7xTpeCYAAlobL.jpg

You provocateur, you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well that picture illustrates a fairly good point about Rafa and his perception by most Liverpool fans compared to Rodgers.....but that would be treading old ground at this stage so I think it's best we not get into that again. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Kirby wrote: »
    Well that picture illustrates a fairly good point about Rafa and his perception by most Liverpool fans compared to Rodgers.....but that would be treading old ground at this stage so I think it's best we not get into that again. :p

Well there's the small matter of Istanbul, but I doubt many would have predicted Rodgers would do that well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think the picture illustrates that a goatee might suit Rodgers too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Bg7xTpeCYAAlobL.jpg

Awwwh...here it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Chicago, New York and Charlotte: Time to show America which club has the best fans in the world

www.lfctour.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Mourinhos argument re champions league football isn't going to last long

What I mean is, he stated that Liverpool have the advantagein the league race because we don't have CL football, but either will Man City or arsenal in another games time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Bg7xTpeCYAAlobL.jpg

Needs context. Some Europa games in there for Rodgers, some tough CL games for Rafael. Though Rodgers perhaps managing in a more competitive league.

Either way Rodgers is doing a fantastic job, though nothing is achieved yet -Spurs still on our tail

Until Rodgers brings home some silverware he won't even be in the same bracket tbh

There has been only one Liverpool manager in the last 50 years not to win a trophy and I hope Brendan doesn't sit beside him in the history books.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Morzadec wrote: »
    Needs context. Some Europa games in there for Rodgers, some tough CL games for Rafael. Though Rodgers perhaps managing in a more competitive league.

Either way Rodgers is doing a fantastic job, though nothing is achieved yet -Spurs still on our tail

Scratch that, just realized its league only.

Raga had a poor first season in the league butt he CL more than made up for it, so that's not included here.

But still, Rodgers took us over as an 8th placed team. So really phenomenal achievement IF (big if) we maintain our form to get over the line to 4th (or more).

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Awwwh...here it goes.

This thread needs some..

\o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

look at rodgers eyes.. black out the rest .. its king kenny

Anyone watching Konoplyanka? Probably the best player out there, some lovely touches and pace (left Dawson for dead a couple of times, okay not that hard). The pitch is a typical east European disgrace - he'd be brilliant on grass!

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone watching Konoplyanka? Probably the best player out there, some lovely touches and pace (left Dawson for dead a couple of times, okay not that hard). The pitch is a typical east European disgrace - he'd be brilliant on grass!

Not me, though partly in fear a MOTM performance will see Spurs sign him in the summer :(

Some Aqua fella is looking fairly decent at the moment for Fiorentina (my dark horse for the EL despite Italian clubs not really taking it seriously over the years!) though.

edit - feck it, I'll give Kono a watch so.

Goldado is well and truly broken.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement