Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What a bizarre comment to make, that's worse than the fixture conspiracy theory at the start of the season.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

K-9 wrote: »
    What a bizarre comment to make, that's worse than the fixture conspiracy theory at the start of the season.

I can't get my head around it tbh.

I don'y think it's real. Someone must have doctored that video.

Desperate times make people lose their minds and see things that aren't there I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

K-9 wrote: »

THat's the single most surreal thing I've seen in a PL press conference since "when seagulls follow the trawler" would love to know how the PL have fixed the season...

It's not that long ago we had a bumbling manager who rambled complete garbage too.

/Shudder

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

What's he trying to say :confused:

'The Premier League have got it the way they want it'. A bit cryptic, I wonder will he be asked to explain the comments? Is he suggesting the Premier League want United out of the top 4, want United to fail? What possible reason would they have for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's not that long ago we had a bumbling manager who rambled complete garbage too.

/Shudder

I don't think that's an accurate comment, much as other comparisons drawn between Hodgson and Moyes have been off IMO.

Moyes is a good manager having a bad season. His 15 years at Everton and Preston are testament to this.

Put anyone under pressure in front of a camera in a tense situation and they're bound to come across poorly from time to time. Rafa did, Hodgson most certainly did, Dalglish did and Rodgers has done.

Whatever about the job Moyes has done this season, this is still the same man who's managed to bumble his way to a higher finish to each of our last four managers on a much reduced budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well yes, but it's still a very odd thing to say, especially when he didn't expand on it. He probably didn't mean to say it, but it kind of makes me wonder about his mentality to even think it, never mind say it!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's mind games lads, mind games. He's deflecting attention away from the team. We're here thinking about what he could have meant and we're not even talking about the fact his team is sh!t.

Moysie, you genius. Well played son. Well played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

/Shudder

Fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Mail going with City in for Skrtel if we miss the CL.

Source

Sourse

Mail from 2012?

Mail from 2012?

No 2014 a replacement for Lescott when he leaves in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Moyes is a good manager having a bad season. His 15 years at Everton and Preston are testament to this.

Moyes is an average manager having a standard season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Source

Perfect opportunity to cash in then even if we do make the champions league.

Skrtel likes one stormer of a season followed by a stinker.

Let him off to City provided they pay well over the odds, i'm talking 20million+

Moyes is an average manager having a standard season.

Given this is his worst season as a manager, it's hardly a standard season for him. Average managers don't regularly finish in the top 6 on a shoe string budget.

I'm not saying he's a great manager, but disregarding what he did at everton on the basis of his start as United manager is short sighted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Given this is his worst season as a manager, it's hardly a standard season for him. Average managers don't regularly finish in the top 6 on a shoe string budget.

I'm not saying he's a great manager, but disregarding what he did at everton on the basis of his start as United manager is short sighted

Can you please elaborate on bolded section above? Its quite clearly not his worst season as a manager by a long shot. Its in fact much closer to his best season than worst.

This regularly finishing in the top 6 argument is just so so lazy. I'm open to correction but in the 11 seasons he has been manager of Everton they have finished in the top 6 a total of 5 times. Not regular at all. In the last 4 seasons he finished in the top 6 once.

Just because you do a good job with a certain team in certain circumstances does not necessarily mean you can be a winner of leagues and trophies with a bigger club. While Moyes has done a good job at Everton he couldn't bring them any further, whether that was in or out of his control is debatable. One thing is for sure, Moyes was a gamble Utd did not need to take. For one of the biggest gig in EPL you should have one hell of a CV. Moyes doing well at a club outside the top 4 doesn't make him a stand out candidate and they will suffer for that gamble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

NukaCola wrote: »
    Can you please elaborate on bolded section above? Its quite clearly not his worst season as a manager by a long shot. Its in fact much closer to his best season than worst.

This regularly finishing in the top 6 argument is just so so lazy. I'm open to correction but in the 11 seasons he has been manager of Everton they have finished in the top 6 a total of 5 times. Not regular at all. In the last 4 seasons he finished in the top 6 once.

Just because you do a good job with a certain team in certain circumstances does not necessarily mean you can be a winner of leagues and trophies with a bigger club. While Moyes has done a good job at Everton he couldn't bring them any further, whether that was in or out of his control is debatable. One thing is for sure, Moyes was a gamble Utd did not need to take. For one of the biggest gig in EPL you should have one hell of a CV. Moyes doing well at a club outside the top 4 doesn't make him a stand out candidate and they will suffer for that gamble.

It's really not - considering their budget that was success for Everton. Like the smaller clubs in Spain whenever they discovered a star or built a strong team they would inevitably loose that player (s) the following season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

wow my band just got featured on Anfield wrap, nice :) :pac: 3pts Sunday please :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

/Shudder

206j6yr.jpg

yeah...not long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,050 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Liam O wrote: »
    206j6yr.jpg

yeah...not long ago.

If you're doing well, you can say anything you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Has this been posted?

Gerrard talking about Sterling:
    Steven Gerrard has never been one to duck a tackle, but the Liverpool skipper admits he avoids Raheem Sterling in training.

Gerrard claims winger Sterling is the Anfield giants’ hardest player, even though he is just 19 years old and 5ft 7in tall.

“He is the toughest in our squad,” said the Reds' captain. “I don’t go near him in training because if I do, there is only one winner!

“He just needs to keep learning and listening to Brendan Rodgers and the experienced players in the dressing room and believing in himself. If he does that, he’ll be all right.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpools-steven-gerrard-raheem-sterling-3163173

yeah...not long ago.

Brendan likes to say cheesey stuff alright, i'd rather hear that and win games than hear the ****e that Hodgson was spouting and watching awful football and results.....you get what i'm saying, your hearing and watching similar now from Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Most of those Rodger's quotes are from his early days at Liverpool when he was clearly trying too hard to "sound the part" which often backfired. He seems more relaxed now. Also a good few of them are only 3/4 out of 10 on the cringe scale.

T-K-O wrote: »
    It's really not - considering their budget that was success for Everton.

I agree, think he done a good job at Everton. All i'm saying is some people can point to the fact that he could not push them on where maybe another manager could.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Rooney 300k a week. Showing my age but I remember the uproar when barnes was the first 10k a week player in the league. In little over 20 years these wages have gone up by a multiple of 30 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Brendan likes to say cheesey stuff alright, i'd rather hear that and win games than hear the ****e that Hodgson was spouting and watching awful football and results.....you get what i'm saying, your hearing and watching similar now from Moyes.

Bit of an unnecessary dig at 'The chosen one' there....the league has been fixed. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

206j6yr.jpg

yeah...not long ago.
    Would love to see some of the quotes shown to some fans with Shanks name after them and see what they'd say then, We could call it a Shankly-bo experiment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone watching Konoplyanka? Probably the best player out there, some lovely touches and pace (left Dawson for dead a couple of times, okay not that hard). The pitch is a typical east European disgrace - he'd be brilliant on grass!

So was Bob Marley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

/Shudder

Being able to deal with the media and having a little bit of charisma is very important.

Rodgers got a bit of grief when results weren't great at the start of his first season. He didn't make excuses and powered on.

I think your reasoning of what makes a good or bad season is flawed. I'd maintain that to be seventh with everton doesn't necessarily represent a bad season. To be seventh with United certainly does.

Moyes has consistently punched above his weight with everton. I his net spend per season there was only three or four million, I don't think there's a single club that survived in the league with less during that period, let alone made the top six, seven or eight in what nine or ten of his 11 years there

Moyes, this season, has United punching well below their weight. An equivelant performance at Everton would probably see them fighting relegation. In his career, he has never before now had his side performing so much below their potential. To say that this represents an average season for Moyes is just false IMO, and disregards a large number of relevant factors

Regarding his appointment at United, while it easy say now he's not the man for the job, I think he deserved it.

If an excellent performance as manager of a club 6/7 positions further down the league isn't adequate experience to qualify a manager for a bigger job, then what is? This isn't Spain or Italy, managers tend not to move from one top 4 club to another, so united were never going to appoint a manager from another top English club.

For any manager to get a shot at a top club, someone has had to take a chance somewhere along the line and promote. Was Mourinho qualified for the Porto job? Wenger for the Arsenal job? Pep for the Barca job? Does a top 4 manager always have to come from abroad?

While it doesn't look like Moyes is working out and there are others probably better qualified for the job, obviously Mourinho being the stand out candidate, to suggest Moyes wasn't deserving, after the excellent job he did at everton for so long, is nonsense IMO. He's worked his way up and earned his chance. Its only right that the top jobs in England are open to those who have proved themselves in the league from the bottom up

• Advertisement

to suggest Moyes wasn't deserving, after the excellent job he did at everton for so long, is nonsense IMO. He's worked his way up and earned his chance. Its only right that the top jobs in England are open to those who have proved themselves in the league from the bottom up

I never said he didnt earn his chance of managing a top side or that he is a poor manager, just that he was an average manager who could deal in a tough situation and he didn't deserve the top EPL job. Evertons average finish under Moyes was 8th, never won a trophy, never managed a team in the CL group stages. Is that was good enough to take over the EPL champions? I dont think so, sure other teams took a risk on unproven managers but Utd really didnt need to take that gamble. I'm not getting into this debate again, and certainly not here, lets just say i'm very happy DM is at Utd and hope he stays there for years and years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I never said he didnt earn his chance of managing a top side or that he is a poor manager, just that he was an average manager who could deal in a tough situation and he didn't deserve the top EPL job. Evertons average finish under Moyes was 8th, never won a trophy, never managed a team in the CL group stages. Is that was good enough to take over the EPL champions? I dont think so, sure other teams took a risk on unproven managers but Utd really didnt need to take that gamble. I'm not getting into this debate again, and certainly not here, lets just say i'm very happy DM is at Utd and hope he stays there for years and years.

Which is probably not far away where they are in turnover and wages as well.

Wasn't Rodgers saying this stuff when Liverpool were in United's current position? I can deal with one bad season, I realise that I've been somewhat spoiled as a United fan but I have faith that it will come good again soon, Moyes or no Moyes. I'd prefer him to get the time rather than hastily sack him like Liverpool did with Hodgson and plummet into a much deeper mess. So far Moyes has signed Fellaini and Mata, Hodgson was about to bring in Suarez for Liverpool who would have turned it around, and going on that, probably would have brought in better players than Carroll and Downing given the same money as Kenny. But you want to know the kicker? As much as you all seem to want it to be, it's not in anyway similar to Moyes at United and the constant comparisons are getting a bit stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Hodgson signed Konchesky, had us floating around relegation and saying things like "I hope they don't score 10" before playing city.

He wouldn't have known what to do with Suarez and probably would have had him sold for pittance because he didn't want the hassle of dealing him

Moyes might be having a bad time of it but Hodgson was absolutely clueless and signing him was a complete **** up.

brevity wrote: »
    Hodgson signed Konchesky, had us floating around relegation and saying things like "I hope they don't score 10" before playing city.

He wouldn't have known what to do with Suarez and probably would have had him sold for pittance because he didn't want the hassle of dealing him

Moyes might be having a bad time of it but Hodgson was absolutely clueless and signing him was a complete **** up.

Hodgson was given no money in his first window. He pretty much signed Suarez so I'm fairly sure would have played him where every other manager, bar Rodgers for a time if I remember correctly, played him. As a central striker. How badly could Hodgson have messed that up? I'd wager that he would have had him playing to a higher standard a lot sooner than Kenny managed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Hodgson was given no money in his first window. He pretty much signed Suarez so I'm fairly sure would have played him where every other manager, bar Rodgers for a time if I remember correctly, played him. As a central striker. How badly could Hodgson have messed that up? I'd wager that he would have had him playing to a higher standard a lot sooner than Kenny managed.

It was a pretty sad time for all involved tbh. He seemed like a decent chap but some of the ****e he came out with was unbelievable.

Even though Kenny's reign bore some bad fruit, he was great to have back; a lot because he said the right things and he had us playing some good football.

Famous victories and paul konchesky is what ill remember about Roy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Hodgson pretty much signed Suarez in what universe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Very very badly, if truth be told.

Somehow i couldnt see Suarez thriving with little supply of the ball, let alone little quality ball being played to him.

Chasing down hoofballs from the defense is not the type of ball that Suarez or Liverpool supporters would like to be seeing but that seemed to be the default option for Hodgson as manager.

Can we drop Hodgson from the conversation? Just as i begin to forget that he was EVER at the club, someone brings that individual up again.:mad:

5live wrote: »
    Very very badly, if truth be told.

Somehow i couldnt see Suarez thriving with little supply of the ball, let alone little quality ball being played to him.

Chasing down hoofballs from the defense is not the type of ball that Suarez or Liverpool supporters would like to be seeing but that seemed to be the default option for Hodgson as manager.

Can we drop Hodgson from the conversation? Just as i begin to forget that he was EVER at the club, someone brings that individual up again.:mad:
    Ha, fair enough. I still think he gets a rough time compared to the likes of Kenny when he has shown himself to be a far more adaptable and capable manager than Kenny. Maybe Liverpool will be what he's remembered for but if you look at the rest of his career I think that with the addition of Suarez and probably another in the same ilk once Torres was sold you could have been looking at a far better time than the football Kenny was playing and advocating buying Downing and Carroll. Now maybe he would have signed those lads but I think a corner would have been turned after the Suarez signing regardless of manager.

• Advertisement

Wasn't Rodgers saying this stuff when Liverpool were in United's current position? I can deal with one bad season, I realise that I've been somewhat spoiled as a United fan but I have faith that it will come good again soon, Moyes or no Moyes. I'd prefer him to get the time rather than hastily sack him like Liverpool did with Hodgson and plummet into a much deeper mess. So far Moyes has signed Fellaini and Mata, Hodgson was about to bring in Suarez for Liverpool who would have turned it around, and going on that, probably would have brought in better players than Carroll and Downing given the same money as Kenny. But you want to know the kicker? As much as you all seem to want it to be, it's not in anyway similar to Moyes at United and the constant comparisons are getting a bit stupid.

You misunderstand me. Hodgsons press conferences were awful, he talked a lot of nonsense. Also the football was just hideous to watch. I'm comparing both those traits to Moyes, no more, not circumstances wages, players bought. Utd are awful to watch, as is Moyes pressers. That would have never changed under Hodgson and wont change under Moyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

mada999 wrote: »
    wow my band just got featured on Anfield wrap, nice :) :pac: 3pts Sunday please :)

Cool song. Sweet riff in the chorus and a killer solo. Good work.

And yes,3 points please.

You misunderstand me. Hodgsons press conferences were awful, he talked a lot of nonsense. Also the football was just hideous to watch. I'm comparing both those traits to Moyes, no more, not circumstances wages, players bought. Utd are awful to watch, as is Moyes pressers. That would have never changed under Hodgson and wont change under Moyes.

Both took over teams in need of major reconstruction and both had a less than successful first window. Hodgson was given no money so was forced to bring in bargain basement players, Moyes was slow to act but got a quality player in the end who hasn't lived up to his billing yet. I feel Hodgson gets a lot of blame that should be directed at Hicks and Gillette. The boardroom unrest was probably a huge factor in feeling around the club and Hodgson was a case of wrong place wrong time rather than a lack of managerial ability. Patience would have been rewarded, like it has been with Rodgers and I hope it will be with Moyes. He's identified weak areas and made 2 stellar signings. Given the money in the summer he can address the left back and centre mid issues and you'd be hard pressed to find a more well stocked team in the league imo. If his tactics are still found wanting after he has the players to execute them then by all means I'd accept him being thrown out post haste but he hasn't been given a fair chance yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The Hodgson and Moyes situations are very similar.

Both are good managers, but massively overrated by some fans and the media. Both are imo the type of manager who will hit a ceiling of success because they aren't brave enough to have their teams be anything other than organised.
    That kind of approach will excel at mid-level clubs and get a lot out of mediocre players. But at bigger clubs with better players, it's not going to achieve the results needed. Managers like Rodgers and Martinez, on the other hand, looked to me like their styles would transfer well to better players and bigger clubs. So far, so it's proved.

Also, Moyes and Hodgson both crumbled remarkably quickly under the pressure. Moyes comments yesterday were absolutely pathetic, he should be embarrassed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Hodgson pretty much signed Suarez in what universe?

Can someone answer this please?

Kenny took over at the start of January, Suarez was signed on the last day of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Both took over teams in need of major reconstruction and both had a less than successful first window. Hodgson was given no money so was forced to bring in bargain basement players, Moyes was slow to act but got a quality player in the end who hasn't lived up to his billing yet. I feel Hodgson gets a lot of blame that should be directed at Hicks and Gillette. The boardroom unrest was probably a huge factor in feeling around the club and Hodgson was a case of wrong place wrong time rather than a lack of managerial ability. Patience would have been rewarded, like it has been with Rodgers and I hope it will be with Moyes. He's identified weak areas and made 2 stellar signings. Given the money in the summer he can address the left back and centre mid issues and you'd be hard pressed to find a more well stocked team in the league imo. If his tactics are still found wanting after he has the players to execute them then by all means I'd accept him being thrown out post haste but he hasn't been given a fair chance yet.
    lol Moyes took over the champions
    he has quality players like RVP,Rooney & now Mata but can't get the best out of them because of his limitated tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

IMO Rodgers earned patience quite early with Liverpool. The early performances were often very good, particularly against United and City at Anfield and I for one could see what he was trying to do. Furthermore, Rodgers took a team that had finished 6th, 7th and 8th in the 3 previous seasons. A mediocre team. So him getting mediocre results for the first half of last season shouldn't have been a massive surprise to anyone.

I have not seen more than 2 or 3 good performances from Man United all season. These are last seasons champions. I have no idea what Moyes is trying to do.

Also, Fellaini is not a stellar signing

Kenny took over at the start of January, Suarez was signed on the last day of the month.

As far as i can remember he had him scouted.

Answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

As far as i can remember he had him scouted.

I think Kenny was actually the person scouting him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The first hint of Suarez joining Liverpool was in the first week of December 2010, when Spurs (who else?!) were also linked - I reckon Hodgsons input would have been to not say no, I imagine the actual scouting was Comolli as he would be his type of player to sign.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement