Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Ridiculous Sturridge wasn't left on to get his hat trick.

He deserved to be yanked off , suarez was in a great position to score but Sturrigde went on his own and got nowhere . It's all well and good Suarez providing the ammo for him but he has to return the favour when Suarez is in a better position then himself .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Turtyturd wrote: »
    He should have been pulled when he wouldn't pass to Suarez a few minutes before he came off.

Looked like he wanted the "perfect" hat trick too. Had 2 shots with his right when he could have easily switched to his left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Twas a bit of fun :)

Such an open game, we weren't great but we won.

As everyone has pointed out, Allen was great when he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Turtyturd wrote: »
    He should have been pulled when he wouldn't pass to Suarez a few minutes before he came off.

Nah the lad was on a hat trick and was threatening. Not like they were avoiding passing to each other during the game. To take him off for Moses was madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Only 11 more wins required, no hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

brevity wrote: »
    NO JINXING THE SPURS GAME!!!

Need a mod to lock the thread for 90 minutes or so, someone will jinx it for sure :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

hefferboi wrote: »
    Allen was playing how the rest of the team play against the big boys. Closing quickly, nipping in that second early, not giving up on anything and playing the simple balls. Why we can't seem to do it for every game is beyond me.

Tbf to Allen he always plays like that. Like Lucas, he does the dirty work for the team and rarely gets the plaudits for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

hefferboi wrote: »
    Looked like he wanted the "perfect" hat trick too. Had 2 shots with his right when he could have easily switched to his left.

Could not be the perfect hat rick as Hendo scored between his 1st and 2nd goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

sturridge really needs to start helping suarez as much as suarez helps him. skrtel was awful today. its like he single handedly tried to lose the game. maybe he was caught out with agger trying to get match fit and gerrards positioning being a little off still for that role. anyway onwards and upwards. sometimes you need to grind a win and other seasons we would have drawn that game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

**** it i'll take Sturridge being greedy if he keeps up his sensational scoring form. Incredible player

EDIT: 41 goals scored between the 2 now with the team top scorers in the league. Loving the greed :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

This sums up my feelings after that.

phew.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Southampton next week then a two week break to work on that defence ahead of going to Man Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

mav79 wrote: »
    Tbf to Allen he always plays like that. Like Lucas, he does the dirty work for the team and rarely gets the plaudits for it.

If that were true, which I don't believe it is, then the manager should have the strength to keep picking him regardless. When Lucas was in his early days he got loads of stick but Benitez stayed strong and continued to play him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

mike65 wrote: »
    Seriously enough just ENOUGH of this stuff! :mad:

Lucas might be back for the next game which is against Soton who will MURDER us on the counter if we see this shambles again. Thankfully if Liverpool survive that there is a two week break after which hopefully Suarez will be recharged - he is clearly running on fumes by the end of games.

MotD2 Extra had the Sunderland game down as before United, was it rescheduled?

PL site has it down for the 10th.

Edit: Nope, that's the old date, still no new date confirmed.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Most points we've ever had at this stage of the season ever apparently

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

It must be absolutely fűcking horrible and torturous wanting us to lose these days.

cause if it feels like this after we win :(

also my 13points slippage is still intact with 11 to play :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Our defending is at times absolutely terrible. Big win today. I wouldn't mind the odd 1-0 win though, the nerves are shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Could not be the perfect hat rick as Hendo scored between his 1st and 2nd goal

I thought it was just left, right and head? I suppose it makes sense though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Morzadec wrote: »
    Why? Did you think Johnson was poor? I thought he was ok, and would prefer him to Cissohko in general

Thought it he was fine too. Especially in the context of it being his first game back after an extended period out.

I always like him on the left actually. Seems to defend better.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Our defending is at times absolutely terrible. Big win today. I wouldn't mind the odd 1-0 win though, the nerves are shot.

A 1-0 win would probably be just as nervy I'd imagine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Only look nervy when they come baxk. They only come back when we take the foot off thinkibg we have it won. Only happens against sides we think we should beat particularly at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,933 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

From Twitter it made me laugh :D

Imagine how many goals Liverpool's attack would score against Liverpool's defence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

rarnes1 wrote: »
    A 1-0 win would probably be just as nervy I'd imagine!
    A single goal lead is always nerve wrecking whether its 1-0 or 6-5.

Its like we've gone back 100 years in time, playing 2-3-5 and scoring and conceding for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Shankly Gates

Never in doubt :pac:

DenseFormalItaliangreyhound.gif

VigilantFluffyBluewhale.gif

GlitteringParchedIceblueredtopzebra.gif

AnguishedOptimalEgg.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

1654056_10151976893408519_1929340822_n.jpg

I enjoy some of these tough games where we haven't been playing our best but dig in deep to get the win. Stoke, Fulham, Swansea.

Too many times this season have we been destroying teams 2-0,3-0,4-0 and 5-0 and it's just to easy.

(Don't get me wrong, I'd love love destroying teams, especially Spurs, Everton Arsenal etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Our defense is sh!t, we all know that and it's not going to change for the remaining eleven games. I will happily take eleven 4-3 wins and the heart attacks that ensue.

But we need to concentrate on defence when it comes to the summer transfer window. We need some quality centre backs and even bring in a defensive coach if needs be to work in conjunction to how we want to play as an attacking force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

My god, that was such a frustrating game to watch! We were a defensive shambles.

Thought Gerrard was poor, showed very little aggression and provided zero protection for the back four. Mignolet looks very unsure most of the time. Skrtel and Agger didn't work as a parnership, and Rodgers obviously felt he needed to remedy that.

Good job we score loads of goals - we can't defend to save our lives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Skertel has to go, a total liability. Agger isn't much better.

Great resolve I suppose to win it in the end, but Swansea, as others have also found, had great joy through the middle today.

• Advertisement

Flanagan Skrtel Sakho Cissokho has to be the back 4 if all are fit for the last games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Vanolder wrote: »
    Skertel has to go, a total liability. Agger isn't much better.

Great resolve I suppose to win it in the end, but Swansea, as others have also found, had great joy through the middle today.

Harsh on Skrtel. Easily our best defender this season for me, but Agger on the other hand coming from one of his biggest fans has gone to ****e.

Mignolets confidence seems gone. I counted 4 times he should have come out and collected the ball when the defense was waiting for him but he stayed on his line.

But he came out for a ball on the edge of the box and managed 'not' to handle it.

But there is something very dodgy about our defense this year, either the coaching is poor or all the changes to it are not helping:(.

Bring Cissokho back:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

monkey9 wrote: »
    But we need to concentrate on defence when it comes to the summer transfer window. We need some quality centre backs and even bring in a defensive coach if needs be to work in conjunction to how we want to play as an attacking force.

More centre backs?!!

Personally, I think the solution is:

1) a top quality defensive midfielder or two
    2) tweak the tactics - we are way too open

Whatever people want to say about Cissokho going forward is he is not a wingback. But when it comes to defending he more than solid and was harshly dropped today I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

5live wrote: »
    Mignolets confidence seems gone. I counted 4 times he should have come out and collected the ball when the defense was waiting for him but he stayed on his line.

In fairness I think a lot of keepers would struggle to be confident in his position. You never know what the defenders in front of you are going to do next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Spot on.

Im beginning to think we signed a dud in Mignolet too. Better than Reina, barely.

But he came out for a ball on the edge of the box and managed 'not' to handle it.

But there is something very dodgy about our defense this year, either the coaching is poor or all the changes to it are not helping:(.

He has been dodgy IMO. Can't be helping the CB's and overall defense.

In fairness I think a lot of keepers would struggle to be confident in his position. You never know what the defenders in front of you are going to do next.

Works the other way around as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I doubt having Toure, Agger and Skary in front of you would inspire much confidence in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Same as with Arsenal a few years ago.

Getting no protection > conceding regularly > nerves and lack of confidence > defensive howlers.

Pressing high up the pitch is one thing but unless you've more players focused on defending, it'll never be that great.

The defenders always feel they're only a stone's throw from conceding.
    All IMO of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The whole unit probably don't inspire confidence in each other.

In fairness we looked better for the last 10/15 minutes, Allen and Henderson added a bit more energy in the middle and put us more on the front foot.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Jordan Henderson is gonna be a very successful and loved Liverpool player for years to come if he continues on his current course.

Stood up today to be counted and delivered.

It was his 100th appearance for the club today & 2 goals :)

Awesome pic :)

tumblr_n1ghwl0Xiw1rznlqho1_500.jpg

It was his 100th appearance for the club today & 2 goals :)
    We can't not play Henderson, some change in the player this year over last year:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Top scorers in the league now with 70 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I only got to listen to the match so I can't give much of an opinion.

It's genuinely fantastic to see the character in the team.. We always seem capable of coming back.

The defense is so worrying. That was arguably our best back four in weeks and from the sounds of it they had an absolute mare.

The sooner Sahko is back the better... and even Enrique just to see which Enrique has come back.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

This x 1000.

When we had a somewhat consistent defence to line out, he was grand. More than grand. Since the Xmas fixtures, injures have plagued the defence and he's looked dodgy since. If he looks off with a consistent back four, then I'll be worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

That was probably the most attacking setup in terms of personal, position and tactics that I've seen under Rodgers which is saying something. We had at times the two full backs pushed up the pitch with Henderson/Coutinho pushed right up behind the attack in a 1-2 midfield. So when we attacked at times the team looked something like this

Sterling
    Suarez
    Sturridge

Johnson
    Coutinho
    Henderson
    Flanagan

Gerrard

Skrtel
    Agger

^^^Mad stuff altogether.

I don't think we pressed effectively enough high up the pitch which meant we didn't retain or recycle the ball enough. I thought Allen coming on changed that considerably. He was very good when he came on. It does though mean when the ball is turned over high up the pitch that a quick pass into central midfield and we're generally looking at being cut wide open with only Gerrard and two defenders to beat. Ideally I'd like a strong, fast powerful player where Gerrard is in that system.

Rodgers actually tried to play a very similar way when he first arrived at Liverpool but pragmatism won out with a more conservative approach which was more tailored to the players at his disposal. He clearly feels like he can make it work with the current group.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Did Coutinho come out at all for the second half?? Totally anonymous. Wouldnt be suprised to see allen start in his place next week, he'd a very good cameo when he came on. The defence is shocking though. John Jo had the freedom of the park first half consistently drifting away from gerrard and skrtel had another mare. All the opposition have to do it seems to disrupt us is press our back four. Everything breaks down when the likes of a skrtel, flanagan gets put under pressure. Got away with it today, Southampton dit it to a tee earlier on in the season. Hopefully norwich do us a favour and take points off spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A team consists of a few sub-groups and one of them is clearly not working

GK
    CB----CB
    DM

All really need to start talking to each other or at least pointing a lot, as in "play it there" or "drop closer here" as it is Mig is stuck on his line while the rest hardly know where each other is - or is going to be.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement