Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Excuses for Mignolet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Mr Alan wrote: »

Blaming Mignolet for todays defensive horror show.:rolleyes:

mav79 wrote: »
    Blaming Mignolet for todays defensive horror show.:rolleyes:

Who did that? Must've missed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Skrtel and Agger weren't helped by the lack of pressing by the midfield in front of them. The amount of times Shelvey and co got away to run at the back line in the first half was unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Mig could do nothing about 2/3 of swanseas goals today, not sure why hes being talked about really. The defence is the glaring issue imo, i thought id never say it after watching him for a few years but flanno is literally our best fit defender at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Excuses? The only criticism of him appears to be that he was reluctant to come off his line. We conceded precisely zero goals as a result. He was not the issue today and has not been the issue all season.

Tusky wrote: »
    Excuses? The only criticism of him appears to be that he was reluctant to come off his line. We conceded precisely zero goals as a result. He was not the issue today and has not been the issue all season.

He wasn't at fault for goals today, agreed, but he had a poor game. I'm baffled by people making excuses for him in here is all.

Defence definitely wasn't helped by our midfield alright. Need Lucas back soon as possible.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Weren't you one of the people excusing Reina for so long?

Repeated rolleyes

• Advertisement

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Weren't you one of the people excusing Reina for so long?

Repeated rolleyes

No. I was one of the people who said letting Reina go on loan was retarded though. And I stand by that opinion as I feel having a goalkeeper of Reinas ability would have been beneficial this season when Mignolet could have done with dropping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I think saying Mig is a dud is a bit much.

Without some of his earlier performances we would not be where we are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

He wasn't at fault for goals today, agreed, but he had a poor game. I'm baffled by people making excuses for him in here is all.

But he has a pretty good excuse - the defensive displays in front of him have been shocking. Even the most confident, established goalkeepers in the world would look a bit shaky with that defence in front of them.
    No. I was one of the people who said letting Reina go on loan was retarded though. And I stand by that opinion as I feel having a goalkeeper of Reinas ability would have been beneficial this season when Mignolet could have done with dropping.

Mingolet was excellent at the start of the season, then he had a poor spell and since then he has been decent. Look back at Reina's final season for Liverpool, his lows were significantly lower than Mingolet's and he didn't have many highs.

DrumSteve wrote: »

Any good he's brought has been offset by bad mistakes he has made IMO.

I'm not saying he's a dud, but there's still serious question marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

DrumSteve wrote: »

Dr Steve will fix him.

Why don't Chelsea do that with Courtois and Cech in that case? They can surely afford to keep both on their books if they so wish.

There's only one club with two keepers of good standing on their books and that's Real Madrid with Casillas and Diego Lopez.

The vast majority of keepers are going to be unsettled somewhat with non-consistent back line, one that's chopping and changing pretty much week in and week out.

• Advertisement

But he has a pretty good excuse - the defensive displays in front of him have been shocking. Even the most confident, established goalkeepers in the world would look a bit shaky with that defence in front of them.

He has looked shaky in most facets of his performance for a couple of months now. **** all of it is to do with the players in front of him. As I said, bewildered by people looking for excuses for him.

Using your same logic, maybe the defence looks shakey because they've no confidence in the goalie behind them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

He comes for virtually nothing ever.

The amount of times he kicked long today because he wasn't comfortable playing it out from the back under a bit of pressure was a joke. Rodgers' actually went mental on the sidelines after one of the times he opted to kick it long instead of play the pass.

Opr

Why don't Chelsea do that with Courtois and Cech in that case? They can surely afford to keep both on their books if they so wish.

There's only one club with two keepers of good standing on their books and that's Real Madrid with Casillas and Diego Lopez.

The vast majority of keepers are going to be unsettled somewhat with non-consistent back line, one that's chopping and changing pretty much week in and week out.

Look at some of the non-entities at our club/on our wage bill & there is no reason we couldn't have done it.

Mig is far from a dud but when balls come in high to the box he makes me nervous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Goalkeeper is far from the problem position for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Any good he's brought has been offset by bad mistakes he has made IMO.

I'm not saying he's a dud, but there's still serious question marks.

If the defence was performing well id be more inclined to agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

After watching some of Reina's displays for Napoli this year, I doubt he would have been a better option than Mignolet at any stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Defence definitely wasn't helped by our midfield alright. Need Lucas back soon as possible.

Who would you drop? Gerrard and Hendo in their current roles are undroppable imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Probably because they are players at either end of their careers (Courtois and Reina i mean). Chelsea loaned a young keeper and brought in an old hand in Schwarzer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

After watching some of Reina's displays for Napoli this year, I doubt he would have been a better option than Mignolet at any stage.

Didn't he get dropped at one stage?

'The Rodgers' managed to get one over on a manager Rafa managed a draw against btw.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Hopefully Skrtel will cop on now and stop grabbing attackers in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Mignolet is far from perfect, but I feel a lot more comfortable with him in goal than I was with Reina for his last two seasons.

I know the argument has been made that Reina proved himself as a top class keeper for Liverpool in previous years and while he was fantastic he did play with a solid backline in front of him and in a defensively sound Benitez system where he wasn't put into difficult positions near as much as Mignolet has been.

Look at some of the non-entities at our club/on our wage bill & there is no reason we couldn't have done it.

I would have rather we sold reina but loaning him out was correct tbh, who keeps a 100k+ wages per week declining keeper on the bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He lost his place has he not? At least he did until recently. I know he played against Swansea during the week.

Reina was never going to risk his WC place by sitting on the bench for a year quote potentially, even if he's merely as a cheerleader for the national side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Just wondering....

Has anybody seen Rodgers and Keegan in the same place at the same time?

No??

He's been average at best alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hopefully Skrtel will cop on now and stop grabbing attackers in the box.

He will have to be careful. Nearly every defender does it at nearly every set piece but the spotlight is currently on him. Hopefully he can ride it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

A few points from the match today, we were way too open, Gerrard kept losing Shelvey and a better player would have scored 3. Agger is poor against more physical strikers. This affects Skrtels game. I think Agger will be moved on this summer.
    Allen should have come on for Coutinho at half time. Moses is crap. I wouldn't even bother having him on the bench at this stage.

Gmol wrote: »
    A few points from the match today, we were way too open, Gerrard kept losing Shelvey and a better player would have scored 3. Agger is poor against more physical strikers. This affects Skrtels game. I think After will be moved on this summer.
    Allen should have come on for Coutinho at half time. Moses is crap. I wouldn't even bother having him on the bench at this stage.

I read rodgers said he brought toure on for agger to add more physicality, not exactly what you would want to hear if you were him. Id imagine either him or skrtel will be gone in the summer.

Norwich 1-0 :cool:

Not a chance they'll hang on, not a chance

Ssssh!

edit - Rarnes, why :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

go on the Canaries!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Norwich score !!!!

• Advertisement

Ssssh!

edit - Rarnes, why :(

ninja edit (me that is)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Lapin wrote: »
    Norwich score !!!!

Jinxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

STTAAAAAP!!!

WHATS THE MATTER WITH YOU ALL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

STFU the lot of you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Keep her lit Norwich!

rarnes1 wrote: »
    ninja edit (me that is)

Don't worry, I stuck a little bit on Spurs @ 5/1 there to cancel it out.
    @The_Real_Ade
    #THFC will 100% win today. I guaranteeeeeeeeeeeee it. Not a hope they'll drop points today. A cert. Banker!

3:55pm · 23 Feb 14 · TweetDeck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Keep her lit Norwich!

a211_smokey2010.jpg

yes I know Ipswich are the Tractor Boys but its still looks right to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

There isn't even a game on. What are you all talking about? Some U21 thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I love the madness of this season.

Champions elect and it feels so good.

miley-ninja-turtle-gif.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Still expect 4-1spurs... (I got this lads)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Soldado on now. Surely Spurs will score now....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement