Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Because we are 4 points off the lead and only have 11 games left.

He is our best player.

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Agueroooo wrote: »
    ^^this

at times yesterday Shelvey would pick up the ball just inside our half and at no real pace stroll up to our 18yrs box and lay it off, or shoot.

the defensive line seemed to be trained to back off (which they did) but there was no defensive midfielder coming in to stop the attack further up the pitch before it ended up in, our around our box.
    It was usually then Skrtel that would come out of the back four to tackle, or block which resulted in a corner.

Swansea nearly always got something out of an attack, be it a shot on target, save out of Mignolet, or resulting corner.

every attack from them produced something and it was all our own doing.

Problem is you have a keeper won't come of his line
    Defenders who don't know if he is or isn't gonna come no leadership whatsoever
    Seem our players are defending the 18 yard line and refuse to step out to get tight to a forward who gas dropped in deep
    And you have gerrard who is overworked as Henderson and sterling are gone forward with our fullbacks, coutinho is walking round looking pretty
    There has to be more discipline shown by our midfielders
    Lucas is brilliant at blocking pass lines it's something you don't notice until he's not playing and he gives you better balance but zero going forward
    Every game will be different with different permutations and different indivduals required, up to Rodgers to get it right
    Still in with a chance of winning the league but with a lot of away games coming up by the time spurs come to anfield there could be little in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

We don't need Shelvey, we need a younger player to push Lucas and Gerrard. I think Gerrard is doing a good job but that the players in front of him are so attack minded that he is left exposed a lot.

Shelvey isn't better than Coutinho, Henderson or Allen in front of Gerrard.

I do think we are getting completely carried away with yesterday's goals conceded. One penalty from a nothing move, poor from Skrtel, one badly defended free kick (neither Skrtel nor Agger did much to attack it, let an average ball into the box turn into a problem without attacking the ball) and one excellent strike from Shelvey. Arguably Gerrard should have been closer but he was pulled out of position and moving towards Shelvey who in fairness hit it first time. No time to close him down.

We do need the attacking players to provide cover, thats why BR pulled Sterling yesterday. He wasn't offering s much defensive cover as usual, neither did Coutinho put in the same shift as in other big games recently in winning the ball back.

Personally I would drop Coutinho for Allen next game round, he needs a reminder that he has obligations to be defending as well as attacking in that midfield role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I am pie wrote: »

We do need the attacking players to provide cover, thats why BR pulled Sterling yesterday. He wasn't offering s much defensive cover as usual

I think Sterling generally puts in a very good defensive shift for us

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

D'Agger wrote: »
    True, I'd have preferred him to go on loan, but overall I don't think Shelvey will be consistent enough at this level and has found his at Swansea where they play football that suits his skillset.

He'd be a great option off the bench, cup games etc. but I think Rodgers said that he's at a stage of his career where he needed to be playing consistently and BR couldn't give him that. He could well develop his game and be a brilliant player in the future but I don't see it.

Just on the topic - his goal was a cracker yesterday, super take.

I think Shelvey is a bit similar to Adam in that he needs to be star of the show to an extent.

And I don't say that disparagingly. What I mean is that I believe he needs to be the main man of sorts in a team, getting on the ball lots, getting high up the field, having the freedom to take pops at goal from range.

I don't think he will ever reach the level to be of the quality of being that type of influential player at a top team. Unfortunately, that kind of role he plays, he probably wasn't/isn't of the quality required, but he will be an invaluable asset for Swansea, a team that should be making consistent midtable finishes, potentially breaking into the top half for the next few seasons.

I think he is a very good player, and Swansea is perfect for him right now. It was certainly the right move for him.

Could we have used him this year? Perhaps, but like I said, I don't know if he would've looked as impressive because the standards he would have been held to would have been higher, he wouldn't have got an extended run and he may not have been able to play the kind of dominant playmaking/attacking mid role in which he is playing at Swansea.

But I can certainly see the criticism in selling him and buying Alberto for the same price.

We really have seen very little of Alberto and Aspas this year. Do you think Rodgers is privately disappointed with what they have shown thus far (including what they've shown in training)?

Problem is you have a keeper won't come of his line
    Defenders who don't know if he is or isn't gonna come no leadership whatsoever
    Seem our players are defending the 18 yard line and refuse to step out to get tight to a forward who gas dropped in deep
    And you have gerrard who is overworked as Henderson and sterling are gone forward with our fullbacks, coutinho is walking round looking pretty
    There has to be more discipline shown by our midfielders
    Lucas is brilliant at blocking pass lines it's something you don't notice until he's not playing and he gives you better balance but zero going forward
    Every game will be different with different permutations and different indivduals required, up to Rodgers to get it right
    Still in with a chance of winning the league but with a lot of away games coming up by the time spurs come to anfield there could be little in

agree with it all and again I wouldn't mind a defensive coach at the club as I don't think its Rodgers strongest point.

Mascherano type player in there and it would elevate this team into another dimension (easier said than done I know)but he does it brilliant at Barca were he sits deeper, and then has the ability to close down that space in between the lines so quick and effectively.

what we have is either Gerrard or Henderson having to come in from the side, and once passed its right down on the defenders who look terrified and simply don't know who's role is what.

the backing off and backing off without anyone coming out of the line showed it all for me.... looked straight from the training ground which is concerning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I have no problem with the Alberto signing, or the Ilori one for that matter. It's an area we neglected for too long - and we missed out on some serious talent because we couldn't compete with United, Arsenal and even Spurs. Walcott, Ramsey and Bale spring to mind. I'm not too worried that Alberto has made zero impact this season, it takes time for players to bed in. Look at Lamela. 30 million. Less impact than Alberto. He's probably still going to be a top player for Spurs though. I'm sure Van Gaal or whoever comes in next season will relish a player of his ability.

He has looked decent in his few bits but with Couthino, Suso and Textiera(spelling) - who seems to be getting the nod ahead of Alberto lately -was it a position we needed to take a gamble in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I think we've made a significant error selling Shelvey. He should have been loaned out for the season. He is probably worth a lot more than we sold him for now (~£10m or so) and has plenty to offer in either central midfield or behind the strikers.

Could see him moving to Everton/Tottenham if not this summer then the following season.

He's a decent midfielder but don't think he'll reach the level we require.

Way too inconsistent too.

I have no problem with the Alberto signing, or the Ilori one for that matter. It's an area we neglected for too long - and we missed out on some serious talent because we couldn't compete with United, Arsenal and even Spurs. Walcott, Ramsey and Bale spring to mind. I'm not too worried that Alberto has made zero impact this season, it takes time for players to bed in. Look at Lamela. 30 million. Less impact than Alberto. He's probably still going to be a top player for Spurs though. I'm sure Van Gaal or whoever comes in next season will relish a player of his ability.

I reckon Lamela will be back to Italy first opportunity he gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Because we are 4 points off the lead and only have 11 games left.

He is our best player.

Fair enough.

I'd rather give him a break myself than run him into the ground. Because he looks bolloxed. And with Sturridge scoring, the opp is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Slattsy wrote: »
    Fair enough.

I'd rather give him a break myself than run him into the ground. Because he looks bolloxed. And with Sturridge scoring, the opp is there.

I think we have one game in the next 3 weeks. Give him a couple of days off training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Everyone will get two weeks off after Soton game so play him for that and hope a rest will serve him well for the 10 games that remain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Lots of that Spurs team won't want to be sticking around without CL football next season. I'd be happy to take Vertonghen and Lloris off their hands.

Opr

I think we have one game in the next 3 weeks. Give him a couple of days off training.

Tie him to the bed for the two weeks before the United game and just unleash him on the morning of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Thought Joe Allen did really well yesterday. Got in their faces, broke up play and was pretty accurate with his passing.

5 tackles made 5 tackles won.
    Gerrard only made 1 tackle yesterday, wouldnt have thought that.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/155974-stats-how-joe-helped-reds-over-the-line

• Advertisement

opr wrote: »
    Lots of that Spurs team won't want to be sticking around without CL football next season. I'd be happy to take Vertonghen and Lloris off their hands.

Opr

and if the rumours are to be believed then Vertonghen aint a happy camper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

They wont sell Lloris to a rival. That's just not going to happen unless they get a 40 million offer or something.

Vertonghen would be gettable but I'm not sure if he's that much better than what you have.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We are strong favourites, yes, but momentum can change easily. I certainly wouldn't write Spurs off yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I might be a bit mad here but fe@k it. Does anyone think Flanaghan might be able to do a bit of a job in a defensive minded midfield berth, something like what Lahm is doing now at Bayern.
    Very cool headed on the ball, has a nice eye for a pass(crossing needs a lot of work) and generally can do ok in a quick passing system.
    Would fit in nicely with Rodgers predilection for playing players out of position ala Dwoning at left back and Doni in goal.
    What mad fekker would put Doni in goals:D

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Everyone will get two weeks off after Soton game so play him for that and hope a rest will serve him well for the 10 games that remain.

Isnt there internationals first week of March?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

5starpool wrote: »
    We are strong favourites, yes, but momentum can change easily. I certainly wouldn't write Spurs off yet.

Agree with this, a couple of results go the wrong way, and we are back in a dog fight for fourth rather than looking up at top position

Imagine how furious Suarez would be if he was rested? Imagine the stick Rodgers would get if he did it and we lost, especially with 1 if not 2 free weekends coming up over the next 6 weeks, even though those games would obviously be rescheduled.

Agree with this, a couple of results go the wrong way, and we are back in a dog fight for fourth rather than looking up at top position

It's great to be able to look up, and we should be, but there are more twists and turns to go yet for sure.

Imagine how furious Suarez would be if he was rested? Imagine the stick Rodgers would get if he did it and we lost, especially with 1 if not 2 free weekends coming up over the next 6 weeks, even though those games would obviously be rescheduled.

I dont think Suarez needs to be rested. As you say fairly long breaks coming up and he didnt play the 1st 6 games of the season - he has played 26 times for Liverpool this season - he should be well able for that and more. I think he is just going through a bit of scoring lull and is getting frustrated.

Still playing well though and instead of just topping the scoring charts he now tops the assists charts too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

If we were to get some points from the next two games (Southampton and Man U away) I will be a lot more confident. Those are two difficult games and if we were to say only pick up one draw from those games then it will back to being pretty tight again.

I'm nearly more worried about those games than I am playing Chelsea and Man City at home because I am fairly confident we will perform in those games at Anfield.

the couple of weeks break coming up is a good thing imo.

others might not see it that way like risk losing our momentum or something, but they way I see it is we have rode our luck the last two games.

any chance we have to get that defence sorted on the training pitch the better.

lets hope we close out the season like last year, as we came pretty good in the final games.

gafferino wrote: »
    I dont think Suarez needs to be rested. As you say fairly long breaks coming up and he didnt play the 1st 6 games of the season - he has played 26 times for Liverpool this season - he should be well able for that and more. I think he is just going through a bit of scoring lull and is getting frustrated.

Still playing well though and instead of just topping the scoring charts he now tops the assists charts too.

I certainly agree with that. He is unlucky not to have bagged a couple in recent games, but if he continues to set up goals we won't complain too much. I don't think he looks particularly tired anyhow personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Isnt there internationals first week of March?

Midweek set of fixtures but we miss out on a game too because of Sunderland in the league cup so we've a bigger gap than most,

At least I think so

Iang87 wrote: »
    Midweek set of fixtures but we miss out on a game too because of Sunderland in the league cup so we've a bigger gap than most,

At least I think so

Yeah Sunderland game is definately off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Massive win yesterday coupled with the spurs loss but being only six points ahead of them and having to play spurs, I definitely wouldn't be writing them off.

Delighted that Henderson got on the score sheet yesterday, he's an absolute beast and that showed with his burst into the box for his second, I never thought the player would be a success at Liverpool and now he would be in my top five most valuable players in the team.

Spurs away to Chelsea in 2 games time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Any result other than a Chelsea win, thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

I think we've made a significant error selling Shelvey. He should have been loaned out for the season. He is probably worth a lot more than we sold him for now (~£10m or so) and has plenty to offer in either central midfield or behind the strikers.

Could see him moving to Everton/Tottenham if not this summer then the following season.

Id say it was more of a case of shelvey wanting to leave more then anything, think it was right to let him go imo. Its no coincidence his two best games were against us either, always seems to be the case when players face old clubs, i was certain ngog would score the equaliser too :pac: hes not disciplined enough really for the style we play nor for were we want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

rarnes1 wrote: »

The heatmap is here. He was everywhere by the looks of it!

Sorry can't embed as on work pc and it won't let me

Here ya go

Flames+xgold+2012

:)

Iang87 wrote: »

At least I think so

Off because of the FA Cup, but same difference really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Saturday was the 1st time ever that I didn't even bother keeping an eye in on the United score. Strange times!

Saturday was the 1st time ever that I didn't even bother keeping an eye in on the United score. Strange times!

Yep same here....but they are in the back of my brain in my subconscious the sneaky feckers. I wont be happy until they are worm food!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

i wonder if we'll feck off to the far east for a holiday like the non champions league contenders or if we will just take a couple days off and get working on our defence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

This Shelvey debate is going to pop up every time he has a good game.

Always looked a liability for us and was never of the standard we need to be looking at. Only role he would play is the 'how the f*ck has he got a league medal role'...which could be important as all recent league winners seem to have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

fact is if we had Jonjo he would have to replace Hendo or Coutinho. next season we have Suso too. if we had Jonjo it would just be too much :D

Paulegend wrote: »
    i wonder if we'll feck off to the far east for a holiday like the non champions league contenders or if we will just take a couple days off and get working on our defence

First session.

Teach Kolo and Skrtel that kicking the ball towards your own goal is bad.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Turtyturd wrote: »
    This Shelvey debate is going to pop up every time he has a good game.

Always looked a liability for us and was never of the standard we need to be looking at. Only role he would play is the 'how the f*ck has he got a league medal role'...which could be important as all recent league winners seem to have them.

It's going to rival the if we re-sign Torres, his form will return crap soon enough for me.

Shelvey had the freedom of Anfield to run riot yesterday. Good on him he capitalised on it. Done.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

On another note, tis amusing see United fans clutch at winning the CL and using us an example of them having a chance when all they could do before this season was ridicule our CL win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    On another note, tis amusing see United fans clutch at winning the CL and using us an example of them having a chance when all they could do before this season was ridicule our CL win.

And the accuse us of being optimistic they have turned more corners this year than Sebastian vettel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    It's going to rival the if we re-sign Torres, his form will return crap soon enough for me.

Shelvey had the freedom of Anfield to run riot yesterday. Good on him he capitalised on it. Done.

We really shouldn't have sold Carroll....remember those 30 minutes against Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Turtyturd wrote: »
    We really shouldn't have sold Carroll....remember those 30 minutes against Chelsea?
    Poulsen would have been the right man to stop Shelvey having so much space yesterday so really we should have held on to both of them :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Just to get everyone looking forward to the weekend. Liverpool's last 5 visits to St Mary's.

P5 W1 L4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Just to get everyone looking forward to the weekend. Liverpool's last 5 visits to St Mary's.

P5 W1 L4
    It's a very difficult place to go to, I'd take a point but if you want to talk about yourselves as potential champions then these are the games you win realistically

Southampton are in a pretty bad run of form, and have realistically nothing left to play for while we have everything to play for. We should definitely be expecting to win, although a draw would not be terrible as far as top 4 aims go.

We realistically will not win the title, but if we can maintain form we have a great chance to finish in the top 3.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement