Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

5starpool wrote: »
    Southampton are in a pretty bad run of form, and have realistically nothing left to play for while we have everything to play for. We should definitely be expecting to win, although a draw would not be terrible as far as top 4 aims go.

Not awful form in fairness. 2 wins 2 draws and 2 defeats in their last 6. And one of those draws was against Arsenal in a game they really should have won. They've lost their last 2 games alright but both away from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    On another note, tis amusing see United fans clutch at winning the CL and using us an example of them having a chance when all they could do before this season was ridicule our CL win.

in fairness, the more knowledgable of United fans aren't. They're debating whether they would prefer to be in or not be in the Europa League. It's almost like them thinking "our year" means soemthign serious.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

daniel sturridge

39 appearances for liverpool 32 goals .

read it again, astonishing .. i still think he will get better .. those are fantasy messi/ronaldo figures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

D'Agger wrote: »
    It's a very difficult place to go to, I'd take a point but if you want to talk about yourselves as potential champions then these are the games you win realistically

I'd think we need 4 points minimum from the next 2 games Vs Southampton and United if we're to have any chance of closing the gap to 1st.

I still don't think there is much hope of that, for the record. I'm switching my sights from 4th to 3rd now though. That's a quantum leap already for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Pilsbury Doughboy

I'd think we need 4 points minimum from the next 2 games Vs Southampton and United if we're to have any chance of closing the gap to 1st.

I still don't think there is much hope of that, for the record. I'm switching my sights from 4th to 3rd now though. That's a quantum leap already for me!

Ah Quantum Leap, that was a good show back in the day!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

in fairness, the more knowledgable of United fans aren't. They're debating whether they would prefer to be in or not be in the Europa League. It's almost like them thinking "our year" means soemthign serious.

Oh I know. Not one to generalise as my posts in the past have shown, but there are a few referencing us in 2005 lately, and as I said, it's amusing given our CL win near a decade ago was very much looked down upon by many non-Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Just to get everyone looking forward to the weekend. Liverpool's last 5 visits to St Mary's.

P5 W1 L4

Our record at white hart lane was pretty abysmal up till december, things can easily change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Shelvey wasn't just good yesterday, he has played well every time I've seen Swansea this season, which is admittedly only 6/7 times. He has been their best player most of those times, sometimes from CM sometimes from AM.
    I think we were premature in selling him, nothing to do with yesterday, just think a loan would have been more prudent. And I'd bet if he was still our player most would want him back necy season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I've been hearing from Liverpool supporting friends that the defence is holding them back from going for the title. I don't think Liverpool's defence is bad, you can't have a good solid defence playing the way Rodgers has the team playing, "we know you'll score but we'll score more" method.

If you want a better defence there would have to be a compromise between attack and defence but why change something that ain't broken, well for this season at least, Liverpool are higher in the table than Rodgers forecasted and top of the form table last time I checked.

Long term I don't know if that way of playing is sustainable, but it's lasted 27 games and doesn't look like going sour any time soon. But with pressure mounting who knows what could happen in the last games.

Lucas playing will make a difference along with another DM addition in the summer should see the defence improve. Getting a CB in as well should be a priority, Papadopoulos could be available to be the spiders to Sakho's bag.

It'll be interesting to see what Rodgers does, if he sticks with what he's done this season or if he'll try and find that middle ground between attacking and defending and make a solid unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

If we go to Southampton and win, it is then that I will start to believe we are in with a shout of winning the league. A win would really show we mean business. I wont be surprised if we end up with nothing next weekend.

At the minute, I just dont have that 08 feeling. I dont have the feeling where I felt we could beat anyone.

Im just glad we have that 6 point gap between Spurs at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

I've been hearing from Liverpool supporting friends that the defence is holding them back from going for the title. I don't think Liverpool's defence is bad, you can't have a good solid defence playing the way Rodgers has the team playing, "we know you'll score but we'll score more" method.

I dont think the attack philosophy has anything to do with our defendering players making basic individual errors. Like we see with Skrtyl and Toure. It has to be down to coaching and/or concentration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Its ridiculous that Sturridge doesn't have a song yet. Even more so when you consider his goal record over his first 39 games is probably better than any Liverpool Striker in our history.

He's well on place to overtake the fastest to 50 that Torres got a few years back. 80+ games that was. Sturridge will do it in 60 at this rate!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Knex. wrote: »
    Its ridiculous that Sturridge doesn't have a song yet. Even more so when you consider his goal record over his first 39 games is probably better than any Liverpool Striker in our history.

He's well on place to overtake the fastest to 50 that Torres got a few years back. 80+ games that was. Sturridge will do it in 60 at this rate!

I said that to the gf yesterday evening. Such an awkward name to try and fit into a song.

Sturridge rhymes with courage, theres a starting point lads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Sturridge rhymes with courage, theres a starting point lads.

I wonder does he enjoy porridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Doesn't have to rhyme. For example, his name would fit just as well in the Suarez, or even the Torres song.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

We stole him from the Bridge
    He's name is Sturridge
    Sturridge...sturridge!

I wonder does he enjoy porridge.

Moot point, Luis Garcia doesn't drink Sangria and he's not 5 foot 7! Football heaven maybe a slight exaggeration too!

He's name is Sturridge
    Sturridge...sturridge!

He's quick, he's mean, he has an uncle Dean, Danny Sturridge, Danny Sturridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

He's quick, he's mean, he has an uncle Dean, Danny Sturridge, Danny Sturridge

That's terrible

That's terrible

Better it then bigshot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

could always do a oh danny boy themed song..could be epic

Suarez has turned from goalscorer to provider in the last few weeks brilliantly. Hes set up Sturridge many times. On a few occassions would love to see Sturridge find Suarez. A couple of occassions yesterday Sturridge could have put Suarez in but choose to go for goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

He's name is Sturridge
    Sturridge...sturridge!

blasphemy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

On another note, tis amusing see United fans clutch at winning the CL and using us an example of them having a chance when all they could do before this season was ridicule our CL win.
    I was having a good laugh at a manU friend yesterday about just that.

While he was laughing at us finishing fourth and them winning the CL, i reminded him that he said you shouldnt qualify unless your league placings put you in the top 4.

'Twas a short conversation after that:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Suarez has turned from goalscorer to provider in the last few weeks brilliantly. Hes set up Sturridge many times. On a few occassions would love to see Sturridge find Suarez. A couple of occassions yesterday Sturridge could have put Suarez in but choose to go for goal.

Just shows what a talent Suarez is. He hasnt scored in what 7/8 games and he is still putting in quality displays.

I have to say, I do miss him scoring though. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

He has set up a good few goals for Suarez this season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

joe123 wrote: »
    Just shows what a talent Suarez is. He hasnt scored in what 7/8 games and he is still putting in quality displays.

I have to say, I do miss him scoring though. :(

I'd say he's saving them up and hell knock in three hat tricks against united!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I can't believe anyone would take a point against saints if offered. While I get what people are saying that it's a difficult game, and a hard place to go and win, id be disappointed if we don't win as it effectively ends any title hopes. A point is better than none, but only just. I know it's hypothetical but I wouldn't deal on anything less than three right now

Chelsea, Spurs and Villa have all won there. No reason we can't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I've been concerned that this may become an issue though. Suarez has not been scoring nearly as much since Sturridge came back. It's Sturridge that has been getting the headlines. What happens if Sturridge overtakes him in the scoring charts? I think Suarez just wants to win, but I can understand his frustration when Sturridge is greedy, considering the chances Suarez has created for him.

Tusky wrote: »
    I've been concerned that this may become an issue though. Suarez has not been scoring nearly as much since Sturridge came back. It's Sturridge that has been getting the headlines. What happens if Sturridge overtakes him in the scoring charts? I think Suarez just wants to win, but I can understand his frustration when Sturridge is greedy, considering the chances Suarez has created for him.

Don't agree with this at all.

Suarez is getting chances but has been unlucky, hit the woodwork on a few occasions etc.

Guy is a winner and probably the best team player in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Southampton are in a pretty bad run of form, and have realistically nothing left to play for while we have everything to play for. We should definitely be expecting to win, although a draw would not be terrible as far as top 4 aims go.

We realistically will not win the title, but if we can maintain form we have a great chance to finish in the top 3.

They arent as impressive as they were earlier in the season and I think if we can get a good start we will win. The fact that pochetteni played a weakened team in the fa cup when they had a realistic chance of winning it may mean the natives could get a bit restless. Im sure the players were a bit disillusioned by that decision aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

havent had time to get near boards since match yesterday, defo the best game iv been to at anfield. massive 3 points, and allen was very good when he came on. thought coutinho was poor especially first half, he wasnt creating much and wasnt defending either, kind of lost really, just not his day perhaps. thought sturridge, was lethal and luis was good.difference bewteen sturridge and luis is that luis does the right thing 9 times out of 10. sturridge is a bit greedy, blind almost, but he is in hot form.
    all in all , great day at l4..And even better to be flying home from manchester.,,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Surprised he didn't hit that one first time.

Williams had some block on Sturridge as well, think it was the ball from Allen, I'd say it was his hat trick otherwise.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Suarez has taken the tactical change very well. He was on the verge of (and still is I suppose) of the best ever individual season in the history of the league - anyone who thinks that's hyperbolic can just check the stats from a few game weeks ago. Even now he's top of assist and goal chart, something unprecedented. (Maybe this is why he's playing out wide - he wants the double!)

He's willingly put that on hold and basically looks like it doesnt matter to him as long as the team wins.

Sat what you want about the man, but for me he has a very small ego for the ability he has.

He is a winner first and foremost and only cares about winning, not personal accolades (in my opinion).

I can't understand any criticism of him the last few weeks. For me he has still performed to a very high standard, and has frequently been in the running for man of the match despite not scoring. He is doing a fantastic job in the team, when one might have forgiven him for being surprised and upset that his central berth was taken away from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Suarez is the ultimate team player for me. its him that has set the standard for this pool team imo, constantly wanting more.
    once the team is winning, that is all he wants. he just get frustrated when the ball isnt given to the man in better position , which sturridge is guilty of doing regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

fwiw Suarez played central against Swansea. They of course interchanged but it was the first time since Sturridge return that Suarez was the default middle of the three during most of the play.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Toure has looked pretty hopeless of late, he's a good skin but i'd move him on in the summer along with Agger.

Toure scares the crap outta me, if he's not slicing the ball off the side of his foot or passing to the oppo, he is telling others to calm down with all the cool body language of Neil Francis in a hair dressing salon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Anyone get me the link for the highlights of the game missed MOTD!

Sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Luap wrote: »
    Anyone get me the link for the highlights of the game missed MOTD!

Sound!

Don't have the link but it was posted this morning sometime.

Yeah the goal celebration for Sturridges second yesterday with Luis seemed a bit muted. Hope they wont have a problem.
    I think they are both quite alike. Want to win and score. I think Luis has improved in his assisting play hugely, maybe Sturridge could do a bit more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

djPSB wrote: »
    I can never understand how people think we have a chance of signing Coleman. You do know he plays for Everton?

Money and prestige talks, sure didn't RVP join utd...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Don't agree with this at all.

Suarez is getting chances but has been unlucky, hit the woodwork on a few occasions etc.

Guy is a winner and probably the best team player in the team.

I think Henderson could push him for that spot.. I'm astonished at Suarez's team ethic considering the summers events - which seem like a distant bad memory now. He's a winner and will do whatever is needed for the 3 points. I just hope his attitude is rubbing off on the younger players, what a role model for the likes of Flanno / Sterling / Coutinho / Hendo.
    I dont buy this theory that he is upset at Sturridge's form, though I cant blame him for being angry when others go for glory instead of playing the percentage ball. Suarez decision making is right 9 times out of 10, another aspect of his game which has improved remarkably since his first season.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Any song for Sturridge should be based on this 80's classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

garra wrote: »
    Toure scares the crap outta me, if he's not slicing the ball off the side of his foot or passing to the oppo, he is telling others to calm down with all the cool body language of Neil Francis in a hair dressing salon.

That post had me in stitches, so true about Toure and imagining Francis in the stereotypical hair dressing salon!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Any song for Sturridge should be based on this 80's classic

That is a magic song.

By all means, I'm not saying if we go 2-0 up after 25 mins or whatever it was yesterday, no one is asking us to sit back entirely and defend for the rest of the game. Common sense needs to be applied though. The next 5 minutes or so should be stopping any possible response from the other team, slowing the game down for a moment, catching our breath and if the chance arises in that time frame, of course rip them apart without the spine falling apart in search of another goal.

Agreed here, but i dont think we have the players who can pass and hold on to the ball especially in mid... we are set up to counter and swiftly at that.... more often then not, the ball goes back to our defenders who frankly look pretty shaky on the ball :(

• Advertisement

djPSB wrote: »
    Tie him to the bed for the two weeks before the United game and just unleash him on the morning of the game.

and make sure his woman doesn't want another baby

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement