Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

5starpool wrote: »
    Southampton are in a pretty bad run of form, and have realistically nothing left to play for while we have everything to play for. We should definitely be expecting to win, although a draw would not be terrible as far as top 4 aims go.

We realistically will not win the title, but if we can maintain form we have a great chance to finish in the top 3.

Tbh at the moment, i think we have a slight chance of the league. If we happen to beat Southampton then I think we have to say we are definitely in with a shout of the league.... get that monkey off our back and if we beat utd.. oh my word!

in fairness, the more knowledgable of United fans aren't. They're debating whether they would prefer to be in or not be in the Europa League. It's almost like them thinking "our year" means soemthign serious.

for years i had a few utd fans jeer me and they didn't even know the names of their first team...

Ah Quantum Leap, that was a good show back in the day!

Zigggyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Shelvey wasn't just good yesterday, he has played well every time I've seen Swansea this season, which is admittedly only 6/7 times. He has been their best player most of those times, sometimes from CM sometimes from AM.
    I think we were premature in selling him, nothing to do with yesterday, just think a loan would have been more prudent. And I'd bet if he was still our player most would want him back necy season

yup I'm with ya here.. but tbh he didn't want to stay on the bench and didn't just want a loan :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

garra wrote: »
    Toure scares the crap outta me, if he's not slicing the ball off the side of his foot or passing to the oppo, he is telling others to calm down with all the cool body language of Neil Francis in a hair dressing salon.

Comes on the pitch saying keep calm keep calm then tge ball comes to him and he's **** what the fcuk do I do with this

• Advertisement

barone wrote: »
    could always do a oh danny boy themed song..could be epic

Oh Danny boy the goals the goals are coming
    from pitch to pitch the net he seems to hit

whats the rest?!

Tusky wrote: »
    I've been concerned that this may become an issue though. Suarez has not been scoring nearly as much since Sturridge came back. It's Sturridge that has been getting the headlines. What happens if Sturridge overtakes him in the scoring charts? I think Suarez just wants to win, but I can understand his frustration when Sturridge is greedy, considering the chances Suarez has created for him.

I've been thinking about this too... I reckon Suarez is only letting Danny get close in the scoring stakes but then will start popping them in again... you have to remember Suarez did score a lot when Sturridge was out injured and now he's kinda been shunted out to a different position..

Any song for Sturridge should be based on this 80's classic

classic that just reminds of the euro's! you can gdansk if you wanna, you can leave your friends behind, and if you can't gdansk ........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Yeah the goal celebration for Sturridges second yesterday with Luis seemed a bit muted. Hope they wont have a problem.
    I think they are both quite alike. Want to win and score. I think Luis has improved in his assisting play hugely, maybe Sturridge could do a bit more

Of course it won't, Suarez is a winner, wasn't that long ago he was playing alongside Caroll,Downing et al... having another striker who can bang them in AND help fire him and the team towards a trophy....yep can see why that would cause problems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Yeah the goal celebration for Sturridges second yesterday with Luis seemed a bit muted. Hope they wont have a problem.
    I think they are both quite alike. Want to win and score. I think Luis has improved in his assisting play hugely, maybe Sturridge could do a bit more

What? They had a big lovely hug as far as I remember.

Edit: yep big hug http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Avin3dew8I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

mada999 wrote: »
    Agreed here, but i dont think we have the players who can pass and hold on to the ball especially in mid... we are set up to counter and swiftly at that.... more often then not, the ball goes back to our defenders who frankly look pretty shaky on the ball :(
    and make sure his woman doesn't want another baby
    Tbh at the moment, i think we have a slight chance of the league. If we happen to beat Southampton then I think we have to say we are definitely in with a shout of the league.... get that monkey off our back and if we beat utd.. oh my word!
    for years i had a few utd fans jeer me and they didn't even know the names of their first team...
    Zigggyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!
    yup I'm with ya here.. but tbh he didn't want to stay on the bench and didn't just want a loan :(
    Oh Danny boy the goals the goals are coming
    from pitch to pitch the net he seems to hit

whats the rest?!
    I've been thinking about this too... I reckon Suarez is only letting Danny get close in the scoring stakes but then will start popping them in again... you have to remember Suarez did score a lot when Sturridge was out injured and now he's kinda been shunted out to a different position..
    classic that just reminds of the euro's! you can gdansk if you wanna, you can leave your friends behind, and if you can't gdansk ........

Multi-quote is a thing, y'know. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Just to get everyone looking forward to the weekend. Liverpool's last 5 visits to St Mary's.

P5 W1 L4

Due a win...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I know i'm beginning to sound like a broken record here but if Gerrard is the soul DM against Southampton then we will not win and most likely be beaten.

Like Swansea, Southampton will play through the middle, and if Gerrard drops off the likes of Lallana like he did against Shelvey then we will be severely punished.

I'd drop Coutinho and play Lucas as DM with Gerrard and Henderson in front.

It will be interesting to see Sterling go up against Shaw.

Multi-quote is a thing, y'know. :p

Sorry, I work in IT wouldn't have a clue about that kind of thing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Luap wrote: »
    Anyone get me the link for the highlights of the game missed MOTD!

Sound!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=713567948664964&set=vb.187582981263466&type=2&theater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Worth a punt?

Vertonghen wants out

I, personally would wet myself laughing if we started taking their quality players.

Sweet sweet revenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Vicxas wrote: »
    Worth a punt?

Vertonghen wants out

I, personally would wet myself laughing if we started taking their quality players.

Sweet sweet revenge.

He would be a good addition. Spurs would never sell to us, and would overprice him anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

From the "Will RVP still be king of the strikers at the end of the season" thread:
    Sturridge top goalscorer???????????????????????

lol
    He wont be top scorer.
    Cause he not good enough.

Happy to throw hundred on it if anyone likes.

Lol indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

opr wrote: »
    fwiw Suarez played central against Swansea. They of course interchanged but it was the first time since Sturridge return that Suarez was the default middle of the three during most of the play.

Opr

Only after the Everton games has Sturridge been in the middle. He was wide left that game, and wide right before it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭deeks

Sorry to go off topic but no mention of the Safety Dance is complete without this video:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I know i'm beginning to sound like a broken record here but if Gerrard is the soul DM against Southampton then we will not win and most likely be beaten.

Like Swansea, Southampton will play through the middle, and if Gerrard drops off the likes of Lallana like he did against Shelvey then we will be severely punished.

Is Lucas not injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

hefferboi wrote: »
    From the "Will RVP still be king of the strikers at the end of the season" thread:

Lol indeed.

Reminds me of this in the where will Utd finish thread.
    50 quid

I say we finish in Top 3.

First com first served.:)

To be fair no-one took him up on his bets, just funny in hindsight.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

So Agger simply gets substituted and now a few media outlets are reporting his time at the club has reached an end.

FFS who pays these reporters wages for this drivel?

Also read that Suarez has scored 4 out of the last 33 goals, but hey we are a one man team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Not sure if it's been posted, but Armin Hodzic (on loan to the Bosnian champions last 2 seasons) has 8 goals in 19 appearances for them this season -

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/liverpool-striker-armin-hodzic-is-currently-on-loan-at-fk-zeljeznicar-8-goals-in-19-games/

Not the highest level of defencing, but looks to have a bit of pace, and a smart finisher. He has a work visa since a while back, so I expect him to be first striker for the U21s next year (he's only 19 now). Still hoping Yesil recovers fully...

NukaCola wrote: »

Because at the time, we all thought the same thing.

I remember I had a post saying something along the lines of, "Even I could manage United to Top 4", as I genuinely felt their squad was too good for them to fall below that.

Football is a funny old game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Lucas is injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

Any song for Sturridge should be based on this 80's classic

Ah, I do love that song.

He can score if he wants to,
    He can leave Chelsea behind.
    Cause he's bound to score
    Then he'll score some more
    Cause he's our number.... 15. FU*K

(If he was 9 this would be perfect).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Pressing from the front is vital.

It won't give Southampton a chance to play through us and leave Gerrard isolated.

The other alternative is to drop deep and hit them on the counter.

But a half arsed attempt at pressing like against Swansea definetley won't be good enough. It's a waste of time if the team don't press as a unit.

I'd play Allen instead of Coutinho I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

Also, just because.

djPSB wrote: »
    press as a unit.

Top drawer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

daniel sturridge song to the tune of danny boy

o danny boy, the nets, the nets are calling, from ground to ground, against each and every side,
    the summers gone, the premier league is calling, it's you it's you, you must go and i must bide.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Lallana's off the ball movement and runs from deep worry me. Allen has to start.

I dunno, might just simplify it all and go with Bowie's Lets Dance.

Sturridge,
    Put on your red boots, lets dance the blues
    Lets dance to the goals
    You scoring on the Anfield Road

Someone else can be modifying it. I'm done :p

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I've never been Joe Allen's greatest fan on here, but if we had the version of him that played last Sunday for 30 mins or so he would be a real asset, but I don't feel we get to see that level of performance enough. It could be down to not enough game time, but at the moment it's hard to justify a regular starting spot for him in the team, and even though I have been one of his bigger fans on here, same goes for Lucas when he returns at the moment. No one (apart from possibly the inconsistent Coutinho who was mostly awful on Sunday I thought) deserves to lose their starting berth from midfield up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Dickerty wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been posted, but Armin Hodzic (on loan to the Bosnian champions last 2 seasons) has 8 goals in 19 appearances for them this season -

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/liverpool-striker-armin-hodzic-is-currently-on-loan-at-fk-zeljeznicar-8-goals-in-19-games/

Not the highest level of defencing, but looks to have a bit of pace, and a smart finisher. He has a work visa since a while back, so I expect him to be first striker for the U21s next year (he's only 19 now). Still hoping Yesil recovers fully...

I'd completely forgotten about this fella, should be interesting to see how he gets on - could be another Nemeth though

Yeah hope Yessil is able to recover and come back - he was very highly rated when we nabbed him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I've never been Joe Allen's greatest fan on here, but if we had the version of him that played last Sunday for 30 mins or so he would be a real asset, but I don't feel we get to see that level of performance enough. It could be down to not enough game time, but at the moment it's hard to justify a regular starting spot for him in the team, and even though I have been one of his bigger fans on here, same goes for Lucas when he returns at the moment. No one (apart from possibly the inconsistent Coutinho who was mostly awful on Sunday I thought) deserves to lose their starting berth from midfield up.

Ming

Flanno --- Skrtel --- Agger --- Johnson

Gerrard --- Allen

Hendo

----Sterling ---Sturridge --- Suarez

Gerrard and Allen need to be there to help the defence if Flanno and Johnson are going to be bombing forward.

It'll be another heart attack inducing game I feel.

Just booked a flight over on Sunday 27th April for the Chelsea match. I'm hoping it gets arranged for the Sunday, and that should be announced soon hopefully one way or another. If not it was only 20 quid I guess. It won't be an early Saturday kick off as they are BT games, and hopefully won't be a Saturday evening, or worse again, Monday night game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

NukaCola wrote: »

I seen a punter on another forum here (who waffles day in day out how much money he makes :rolleyes:) have a right ol' cut at man u to finish in the top 4 a few months, saying we couldnt sustain it :D:D:D
    Love seeing them being shít and losing money :pac: :pac:

:cool:

brevity wrote: »

Ming

Flanno --- Skrtel --- Agger --- Johnson

Gerrard --- Allen

Hendo

----Sterling ---Sturridge --- Suarez

Gerrard and Allen need to be there to help the defence if Flanno and Johnson are going to be bombing forward.

It'll be another heart attack inducing game I feel.

For Southampton I agree we need to be less cavalier, but I don't know if Rodgers will be. the main thing we need to get right is our pressing. Southampton played a very strong pressing game on us the last couple of times we met and it was very effective. Hopefully we can counter that with our own this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Last year at southampton i believe lucas started on the bench and allen? Played the dm sort of role. Anyways, we got badly dicked on that day, skrtel also had a howler too. I think a 2-1 midfield of gerrard--allen with hendo slightly ahead of them is the most logical thing to do there. Id probably look at shaking up the back 4 again, certainly if sakho is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Knex. wrote: »
    Only after the Everton games has Sturridge been in the middle. He was wide left that game, and wide right before it.

Below is a map of players average positions based on heat maps of the Everton game taken from ESPN. Danny played the majority of the game down the middle as he has done for the games since his return bar Swansea at the weekend.

3WVJfDO.png

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Sorry that was for the game before it. This was the Everton game but same thing applies.

dklqY8l.png

Opr

Cheers.

Odd then that Rodgers said how he started Sturridge out wide to exploit their right back (Coleman was out), and he had put Sterling out left to cope with Baines.

Least, that's what I thought he had said.

Anyway, clear to see that we are fairly fluid as a front three, regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

What Allen brought to the team on Sunday was balance. He was steady on the ball, but his off the ball work was excellent. He harried, chased, covered, and blocked off passing routes.

He also acted as a shield of sorts for Gerrard and the back four ( A quintet for the most part ranged from average to bloody awful for much of the game).

Kess73 wrote: »
    What Allen brought to the team on Sunday was balance. He was steady on the ball, but his off the ball work was excellent. He harried, chased, covered, and blocked off passing routes.

He also acted as a shield of sorts for Gerrard and the back four ( A quintet for the most part ranged from average to bloody awful for much of the game).

Absolutely. You could have driven a truck through the gaps in our midfield for the first 60 minutes on Sunday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Any word on Sakho being fit?. Could be handy to have him back for the run in

Any word on Sakho being fit?. Could be handy to have him back for the run in

Back in training from today is the chatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Liverpool have confirmed Conor Coady has extended his loan spell with Sheffield United until the end of the season.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/156036-coady-extends-blades-loan-deal

Absolutely. You could have driven a truck through the gaps in our midfield for the first 60 minutes on Sunday.

The midfield was awful at defending for the first hour and the back four were as bad.

Flanagan was the only defender that was kind of alright. Skrtel was very poor, Agger was very poor, and Johnson just continued with the same kind of form as from before his time out.

But I guess all that matters is that we were able to get three points when most of the team were below par.

A similar performance against Southampton could see us come away with no points. As with earlier in the season before we met them, I am no confident of a result against them. The way they set up counters a lot of what we do, and if we have an unbalanced midfield going into that game than they will exploit any gaps.

Of the 11 games we have left, I am expecting us to lose two or three of them, and Southampton are one of those lossses.

20 to 23 points is what I think we will get from the 11 games remaining. That would see us finish the season on between 76 and 79 points.

Looking at the three teams behind us, Spurs, Man U and Everton. Us getting 20 points from the remaining 33 would make us very hard to catch.

Spurs would need 27 from 33 to overtake us. Man U would need 31 from 33 to catch us. Everton would need 31 from 36 to catch us.

4th place is well and truly in our own hands at this point.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement