Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Sakho will be 1st choice next season I'd imagine and Toure was signed as 4th choice. The other chap is on loan.

You don't think we could replace 2 out of Skrtel, Agger and Toure?

Probably depends on the budget available, suppose if we sold both Agger and Skrtel we'd have good money to buy 2 quality replacements. I'd be surprised after buying 3 CB's last Summer we'd go for another 2 though!

DM, LB, Kono/Salah type player, CB and back up keeper would be what I'd hope for.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

klose wrote: »
    Just been confirmed there. 8 o clock k/o

4 days before the Spurs game. Probably not ideal. Especially when we go 15 days without a game after Southampton. Means we have 3 games in 8 days up to the Spurs match.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Rodgers system (in its current form) is an absolute wet dream to play when you are an attacker, but a nightmare if a defender or keeper, and an absolute roller coaster ride for us fans.

If we take the traditional 4-4-2 as a template then its balanced in so far as that the backline have relatively good protection from the midfield, but also the two up top also get good supply from the midfield.
    but in the modern game its easily counteracted by the more tactical aware manager.

In Rodgers system its more dynamic in that it means forward placed players staying high up the pitch, and wide players staying wide which naturally leaves massive gaps in the middle.
    If possession is lost it takes a lot of discipline in that it must be won back with a couple of metres, or secs, where lost.
    If not, and the ball or player move it quickly then it means that the only shape remaining is that of the back 3 (or 4) whichever system is being played.

Have you noticed how in a quick second we can go from looking very dangerous, and probably one pass away from a real chance, to being totally on the back foot and our defenders rattled?

It is no fluke that our defenders (and keeper) have made some howlers during this big learning curve that we are all on - yes us fans as well.
    As it great to watch but it will leak goals/mistakes with the current stock of players.

I have every confidence in Rodgers purchasing that midfield general that can help us hold our shape both in attack, and defence.
    and to replace those players that will never be able to play this system.

but he needs to take responsibility some what for the way we are leaking goals until he does that recruiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Just watching José squirming at his presser in Turkey is a joy to watch. Hopefully the media have found him out for what he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I do agree with much of your post, but my opinion on both isn't based on a single season of performances. Ditto Johnson. They aren't good enough and we can improve on all of them.
    In fairness, Nuri, there is only one position we couldn't improve on in the team, Suarez and possibly Sturridge.

Every other player could be replaced by better quality, not that would be the right thing to do in all cases eg Sterling.

It all depends on the money available and the cost of the replacement player too.

flanzer wrote: »
    Just watching José squirming at his presser in Turkey is a joy to watch. Hopefully the media have found him out for what he is

What's this?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭TrueIt

What happens if we beat Spurs, City and Chelsea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

TrueIt wrote: »

Our year !

I have an argument with my wife.

that will occur either before, or after, I disappear to Liverpool to celebrate for a couple of days in May.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

5live wrote: »
    In fairness, Nuri, there is only one position we couldn't improve on in the team, Suarez and possibly Sturridge.

Every other player could be replaced by better quality, not that would be the right thing to do in all cases eg Sterling.

It all depends on the money available and the cost of the replacement player too.

That goes without saying, mate, but I'm not asking for that and never have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

What's this?

He essentially called the media an 'embarrassment', 'unethical' and a few other choice words. Hopefully we have seen the last of them being his lap dogs like in previous pressers.

What was more surprising about his comments was that they weren't directed any one individual, he made a sweeping generalisation about them. Poor Brian Swanson from Sky Sports was the first to be at the end of his wrath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

We win the triple crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

flanzer wrote: »
    He essentially called the media an 'embarrassment', 'unethical' and a few other choice words. Hopefully we have seen the last of them being his lap dogs like in previous pressers.

Considering the stunts he pulled on Frisk and Wenger using the media as a mouthpiece....the enemy of football deserves everything he gets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

then ill be getting 19 times tattood onto my forehead

MarkY91 wrote: »

I sense another Trollington/GPO type moment coming on...

Except he backed out of it :-(

Except he backed out of it :-(

Yes I know...that's why I said it..means we'll have won the league then :D

• Advertisement

Yes I know...that's why I said it..means we'll have won the league then :D

But but but the internet is serious business and everything posted on it must be carried out in full .

Whoscored.com's European TOTW:

BhUnhK6CIAErZQu.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

*Adds to bookmarks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

i dont know what that means but i was just joking in my post lol

i dont know what that means but i was just joking in my post lol
    Too late - you were totally serious :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

klose wrote: »
    Just been confirmed there. 8 o clock k/o

Just have to hope Sunderland dont have a cup replay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Whoscored.com's European TOTW:

BhUnhK6CIAErZQu.jpg:large

Had Rosenior on the bench in my FF :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

We get 9 points more than we had :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Sakho will be 1st choice next season I'd imagine and Toure was signed as 4th choice. The other chap is on loan.

You don't think we could replace 2 out of Skrtel, Agger and Toure?

Personally I would invest serious money (25M +)in a DM to sit in front of them and keep what we have.
    Proper WC CB's are very hard to come by and I think we struggle and waste resource and time trying to improve further when we have a glaring problem in DM .

At a push one in one out but only after addressing midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Would love to see us get Fernando From Porto.

Personally I would invest serious money (25M +)in a DM to sit in front of them and keep what we have.
    Proper WC CB's are very hard to come by and I think we struggle and waste resource and time trying to improve further when we have a glaring problem in DM .

At a push one in one out but only after addressing midfield

I'd say the chance of a DM coming in the summer are close to nil

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »

January was 26 days ago :D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

The fact is we have no problem scoring goals, many options in attack, lots of pace etc
    Surely the focus for Rodgers should be on the defensive game. From midfield to the backs it needs working on

For all our frailties at the back , to be in the position we are in at the moment is just amazing .

Can you imagine any other PL team with a back 4 that has had our problems of late and still be in the top 4 ?

We are in a great great position going into the last 11 games .
    No CL or FA cup to worry about , Players coming back from injury.

How confident are the team going to Southampton?

With SAS , I think Southampton should be worried , Luis hasn't scored and he is hungry to score ,
    You can see it in him .
    Do we go out to win this or are you happy with a point ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

We dance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Would be perfect but seems like Man City might be back in for him and the other lad at Porto in the Summer.

and

stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Stargate wrote: »
    For all our frailties at the back , to be in the position we are in at the moment is just amazing .

Can you imagine any other PL team with a back 4 that has had our problems of late and still be in the top 4 ?

We are in a great great position going into the last 11 games .
    No CL or FA cup to worry about , Players coming back from injury.

How confident are the team going to Southampton?

With SAS , I think Southampton should be worried , Luis hasn't scored and he is hungry to score ,
    You can see it in him .
    Do we go out to win this or are you happy with a point ?

We go out to win every game.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

5 years ago today we beat Real Madrid 1-0 at the Bernabeu.

Good times on the pitch, hopefully we can get at least a taste of that again next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

When was the last time Agger put in a cracking performance? At least with Skrtle, for all his faults, he pops up with the odd goal or quality display. Agger has just been consistantly poor or injured for two seasons now.

When was the last time Agger put in a cracking performance? At least with Skrtle, for all his faults, he pops up with the odd goal or quality display. Agger has just been consistantly poor or injured for two seasons now.
    The only thing that comes to mind for me - and by all means let me know if the blinkers are on here - but Skrtel looks to play better because he's launching himself into tackles, for me Aggers positioning & reading of the game is way ahead of Skrtels - Skrtel is quicker at getting across to help out fullbacks from what I've seen, but I genuinely think Skrtel puts in more slide tackles as a direct result of being dragged out of position than Agger does.

Anybody else think that? No? Cool, I'll be off then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Agger has just been consistantly injured for two seasons now.

that's where most of the issue has always been with Daniel
    when fit an on form his a dam good defender
    but he doesn't stay fit so hate to say it he needs to be moved on in the Summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

D'Agger wrote: »
    The only thing that comes to mind for me - and by all means let me know if the blinkers are on here - but Skrtel looks to play better because he's launching himself into tackles, for me Aggers positioning & reading of the game is way ahead of Skrtels - Skrtel is quicker at getting across to help out fullbacks from what I've seen, but I genuinely think Skrtel puts in more slide tackles as a direct result of being dragged out of position than Agger does.

You could have a point, but people said the same thing when Masch played for us i.e he wouldnt have had to make last ditch tackles if he was in the right pisitions. It's a hard one to just as there are many mitigating factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

ASan ‏@Zizouology

Liverpool are interested in Rafa Alcântara! Woohoo!

Any fans of "Rafinha" here?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1466966-la-masia-spotlight-rafinha-alcntara-and-his-future-at-barcelona

You could have a point, but people said the same thing when Masch played for us i.e he wouldnt have had to make last ditch tackles if he was in the right pisitions. It's a hard one to just as there are many mitigating factors.
    True - the thing with Masch was his ability to cover ground quickly was amazing - he was very quick to get across when caught out of position. If you look at Busquets playing a similar position - he never seems to be rushing back to put a tackle in, his positioning is immense.

Skrtel gets dragged out of position because more often than not he's trying to account for Agger/Toure getting dragged out of position! He's usually covering for his centre back partner, hence the last ditch tackles, blocks etc. Agger doesnt cut it for me. He may think he's a hard man with his knuckles tattoo'd and whatnot, but when it comes down to it he gets bullied far too much in games.

Skrtel gets dragged out of position because more often than not he's trying to account for Agger/Toure getting dragged out of position! He's usually covering for his centre back partner, hence the last ditch tackles, blocks etc. Agger doesnt cut it for me. He may think he's a hard man with his knuckles tattoo'd and whatnot, but when it comes down to it he gets bullied far too much in games.
    I'm sorry but I don't believe that, if one CB moves out of position, the other CB can be left isolated and may need to move across to cover - but 9 times out of 10 our CBs get dragged out of position to cover our fullbacks who tend to bomb on - at the same time also.

I'm sorry but I don't believe that, if one CB moves out of position, the other CB can be left isolated and may need to move across to cover - but 9 times out of 10 our CBs get dragged out of position to cover our fullbacks who tend to bomb on - at the same time also.

Yes that happens, but who's more likely to carry the ball out of defence and then then caught out of position higher up the field? Or doesnt win his share of aeriel duels leaving the other exposed? Agger. Its was said Agger's positioning is miles ahead of Skrtel's, I wouldnt agree with that at all. In fact I believe Skrtel bails Agger out more than the Agger bails Skrtel out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I've said it earlier in the year and I'll say it again, I'd sell Agger no bother. Barcelona were meant to be looking at him a while back. Would be delighted to get 20m or so for him. He's been at fault for a lot this season..even from day one, giving that stupid penalty away against Stoke...but he seems to be forgiven alot more because he 'can play a bit'. I wouldnt play him in Midfield either. If there's anything we've learned from Agger over the years is how injury prone he is. He hasnt got the physicality or mobility to play DM. Besides all that he's grand like!

We'd be lucky to get 10m for Agger at the moment I reckon.

Yes that happens, but who's more likely to carry the ball out of defence and then then caught out of position higher up the field? Or doesnt win his share of aeriel duels leaving the other exposed? Agger. Its was said Agger's positioning is miles ahead of Skrtel's, I wouldnt agree with that at all. In fact I believe Skrtel bails Agger out more than the Agger bails Skrtel out.
    Fair enough if that's what you believe but I'd love to see a stat on Agger getting caught higher up the field - he rarely gets caught from my own POV - he either gets up the field and lays it off or buys himself a free when he runs into trouble

Skrtel has really improved with regard to coming out from the back this season actually

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why I would sell Agger
    Calf/Shin Injury 05/01/14 09/02/14
    Illness 05/12/13 08/12/13
    Rib Injury 21/09/13 26/09/13
    Rib Injury 14/09/13 19/09/13
    Back Injury 05/05/13 11/07/13
    MCL Knee Ligament Injury 23/09/12 27/09/12
    Suspended 18/08/12 26/08/12
    Rib Injury 25/02/12 04/04/12
    Rib Injury 17/09/11 17/10/11