Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

1505359_938797826160434_2123748850_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Couthino is also turning into a fiery little f*cker, he is not backing down from any tackles. I read somewhere today that he won possession more than any other player last night. Very rare quality in a number 10. Against Arsenal he didn't give Wilshire a bit of space all game, always in his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

mav79 wrote: »
    Couthino is also turning into a fiery little f*cker, he is not backing down from any tackles. I read somewhere today that he won possession more than any other player last night. Very rare quality in a number 10. Against Arsenal he didn't give Wilshire a bit of space all game, always in his face.

yeah surprised he has made tough tackling part of his game, its great fair play to him. technically he wasn't playing in the no 10 slot these last few games tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Should Lucas start when he comes back? I like the balance of the team as it is (with the exception of our defenders), and I think it'd be a shame to potentially mess that up to start Lucas. I think he'd be a good option to have on the bench.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Benzino wrote: »
    Should Lucas start when he comes back? I like the balance of the team as it is (with the exception of our defenders), and I think it'd be a shame to potentially mess that up to start Lucas. I think he'd be a good option to have on the bench.

Well same thing was said when Gerrard came back. I know there is more to it - positions and so on, but I wouldn't rush Lucas back in. Keep it to sub appearances for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I was thinking the same thing today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Just watched Teixeiras play from last nights match, nothing spectacular but he looked confident and not at all over awed with the occasion. One thing it did make wonder is, with our abundance of centre midfield players where does this leave Suso?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,021 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

mav79 wrote: »

He's certainly been taking a leaf out of his countryman Oscar's book anyway. Oscar's probably the best in the league at it - maybe Coutinho seeing what he needs to compete with to break into the national team has been good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

barone wrote: »
    easy to say it, but if luis or danny get injured,or both, then thats 4th gone.. who knows where we might finish if they stay injury free for the rest of our league games ..

we will all be fcking livid if they get injured on sunday ... low priority is the cup this year imo.. not saying we dont try win it,just saying leave out the two strikers who can fire us to champions league.

Sure if one of them get injured in a league game we have the same issue.

If they are given the clear from the medical team that they are match fit I don't see any issue starting a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

After the spurs game people said no way should gerrard get back in the team
    Not saying it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The thing is Gerrard is not playing the DM position really now, He is now playing more of a classic sweeper role which suits his game better than playing a DM role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd say everyone has suggested a thing or two and been proven very wrong, here. People get passionate and emotional, and football can be very unpredictable. Everyone's done a knee jerk, or two in frustration. If you don't get blind with frustration sometimes, you're not following Liverpool right. The only people I care about holding accountable for stuff from the past, are certain rival fans, not our own. Usually...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'd say everyone has suggested a thing or two and been proven very wrong, here. People get passionate and emotional, and football can be very unpredictable. Everyone's done a knee jerk, or two in frustration. If you don't get blind with frustration sometimes, you're not following Liverpool right. The only people I care about holding accountable for stuff from the past, are certain rival fans, not our own. Usually...

I agree I had sterling out on a free transfer 6 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

I agree I had sterling out on a free transfer 6 months ago

:eek: Christ, we'd have got a quid at least for him from Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

It wouldn't be the end of world if Arsenal beat us on Sunday. In fact if I was BR I wouldn't play anywhere near a full strength team.

That way if we are beaten it shouldn't effect the first team momentum.

Full steam ahead then for one massive push for the title.

To fit Lucas back into the team either Coutinhio or Sterling would be sacrificed.

Lucas still has a major role to play for LFC especially if we get into the CL as the attacking style wouldn't cut the mustard against the bigger teams.

Gerrard is doing a fine job where he is.

It wouldn't be the end of world if Arsenal beat us on Sunday. In fact if I was BR I wouldn't play anywhere near a full strength team.

That way if we are beaten it shouldn't effect the first team momentum.

Full steam ahead then for one massive push for the title.

How do you figure that? Unless we play the reserves.

We have a full 7 days rest after the cup game. How much rest do these players earning 100k a week need?

Go to Arsenal and win. After that the cup is there to be won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fa Cup team for me, while its not something I want to put too much into I think Arsenal will be caught betwixt and between with the Munich game in mind.

Mig
    Flano-Skrtel-Agger-Cissokho
    Gerrard
    Hendo
    -Sterling-Coutinho-Suarez
    Sturridge

Jones, Kelly, Allen, Moses, Teixeira, Ibe, Aspas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,021 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think for the big guys coming to Anfield, and our tougher away games, i'd like Lucas to come in. We can't keep conceding so many goals away - if we need to sacrifice a little up top to start earning some clean sheets away, then I think it's something we need to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I don't think I wold have him back in the first team immediately . You don't change a winning team . So that's why he would stay on the bench . You could play two holding midfield ers in the bigger games . So the likes of Suarez , sterling , Coutinho and Sturrigde could do damage !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Toure with Agger and Allen with Henderson are probably the only two changes I would make for Sunday. The Henderson one just to give him a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Spurs, United, Arsenal and one of Chelsea/City will be out of the FA Cup if we win.

It's a great chance to win an important trophy.

We are not scheduled to play a midweek game for the rest of the season.

Arsenal aren't tough tacklers.

Yes, if Sturridge and Suarez get injured it will be a disaster and it won't have been worth it, but can we approach games in this manner? It's not likely they will get injured. Neither player is being overplayed.

I have faith in Rodgers/the physios to make the right call. Of they consider any player a risk they should not play of course.

But we should be putting out a strong team to win it.

Allen in to freshen up the midfield? Sure why not.

Other than that, go out to win the game, Arsenal have one eye on the CL and are there for the taking.

We'll have a fantastic chance of winning the trophy if we win on the weekend.

We don't have a massive squad but I don't feel it has to be a case of shunting the cup in order to maintain our league form.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    How do you figure that? Unless we play the reserves.

We have a full 7 days rest after the cup game. How much rest do these players earning 100k a week need?

Go to Arsenal and win. After that the cup is there to be won.

Getting top 4 is so critical for the future of LFC this season that I'd prefer there was no other distractions.

Our squad is threadbare and a break might do some no harm particularly Suarez.

I'd make 6/7 changes. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

mike65 wrote: »
    Fa Cup team for me, while its not something I want to put too much into I think Arsenal will be caught betwixt and between with the Munich game in mind.

I am not so sure. After the beating they got, their fans would have a canary fit if it happened a second time. They will want revenge to show it was a one off event. If Arsenal play like they did last night against Man Utd, then we should be ok. Tippy-tappy, you shoot, no you shoot stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Just watched Teixeiras play from last nights match, nothing spectacular but he looked confident and not at all over awed with the occasion. One thing it did make wonder is, with our abundance of centre midfield players where does this leave Suso?

Exactly how good is Teixeira? I mean he did fine when he came on last night, fitted in nicely, but that's all I've seen of him, and some seem to be saying he will be a mainstay, challenge Cout for his place.

Would Suso not be far ahead of him in the pecking order?

Reminds me of when were bigging up Ibe to be better than Sterling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Morzadec wrote: »
    Exactly how good is Teixeira? I mean he did fine when he came on last night, fitted in nicely, but that's all I've seen of him, and some seem to be saying he will be a mainstay, challenge Cout for his place.

Reminds me of when were bigging up Ibe to be better than Sterling

Technically he is better than Suso, easily so. The ball just sticks like glue to his feet. Definitely a competitor for Coutinho if he progresses (quite how that will happen is the issue - I'd send him on a 6 month loan to a good footballing side in England myself). At times he lacks a bit of application, needs to fight a bit more for the ball.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

still think our cock-up and missed opportunity in the Jan window will ultimately cost us in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Morzadec wrote: »

Reminds me of when were bigging up Ibe to be better than the Sterling

Guilty.

I still think Ibe will be the better player in the future but Sterling has really stepped it up over the last month or so and is playing at a very high level. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Anybody have a link to a replay of the match?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Getting top 4 is so critical for the future of LFC this season that I'd prefer there was no other distractions.

Our squad is threadbare and a break might do some no harm particularly Suarez.

I'd make 6/7 changes. Just my opinion.

You're right that getting top 4 is vital for the club but one of the most important elements in achieving that is form.

We're on a good run at the moment and we should keep that momentum going and keep the winning habit.

They would be in great form going into Swansea match instead of having to get over a cup defeat.

Club is there to win games and trophies. We all remember FA cup win against West Ham in '06 but would remember less about Top 4 trophyless finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

How mad is it that people are talking about a title push !?

Great days

Great days

Even Jose Mourinho is talking us up now as we have no CL distractions.

Wonder why he's doing this.

murpho999 wrote: »
    You're right that getting top 4 is vital for the club but one of the most important elements in achieving that is form.

We're on a good run at the moment and we should keep that momentum going and keep the winning habit.

They would be in great form going into Swansea match instead of having to get over a cup defeat.

Club is there to win games and trophies. We all remember FA cup win against West Ham in '06 but would remember less about Top 4 trophyless finishes.

Maybe so.

Just seen on Sky sports news Suarez and Sturridge are the top striking partnership in Europe with 39 goals together.

I was very doubtful about Sturridge as a signing from the beginning, so glad to be proven wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Toure with Agger and Allen with Henderson are probably the only two changes I would make for Sunday. The Henderson one just to give him a rest.

Agree with Agger and Allen in for Henderson and Toure, but I'd also give Sterling a break and give one of Ibe, Alberto or even Aspas a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I'm looking forward to the game Sunday. Love the FA cup games. No pressure on them. You can always say it's all about the league if they lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Even Jose Mourinho is talking us up now as we have no CL distractions.

Wonder why he's doing this.

Jose is a great one for the wind ups and back handed complements.

Talks us up so the next time we lose or have bad draw he jumps on it saying we're cracking under the pressure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

I said that Sterling should have been sent on loan a few months back
    So I have to admit being completely wrong on that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It's nearlt like a roving DM role, you could find him playing as a sweeper, CB or DM as needed. He seemed to me to be getting forward more yesterday with Henderson covering him at times last night.
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I think for the big guys coming to Anfield, and our tougher away games, i'd like Lucas to come in. We can't keep conceding so many goals away - if we need to sacrifice a little up top to start earning some clean sheets away, then I think it's something we need to do.

Tbh while I'm still not totally convinced by Gerrard in the new role though he's winning me more, it's as simple as cutting out brain freezes at the back, and I don't think that is Rodger's fault, it's concentration and basic defending. For all the attractive goals and effectiveness from set pieces the stupid individual mistakes need to stop.

Those 2 points we dropped against WB would be nice to have now. We do have everybody back in the next couple of weeks so it should improve.

With that in mind, I'd use the Arsenal game to give Agger and Allen game time, also giving Henderson a rest.

I still can't get over that Gerrard through ball. The thing is, I was about to call him a stupid bollicks for falling over and then he does that, the vision and split second decision making, and the skill, taking 6 Fulham players out of the game with one pass, one of those moments in football you'll never forget.

I wouldn't be worrying about other teams fixtures too much, Spurs have a lot coming up now, Arsenal have CL, Everton will just get too many draws! It balances out. Last night was massive for morale and pyschologically, we need to be winning most, if not all these away games to bottom half teams, and after WB, massive 3 points.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I also remember getting to the CL final in 07 which is what getting top 4 is about. That's the thing about top 4, it isn't a sole aim in itself, it's what comes from it.

I'm not pushed about the Cup, it's a side show this season. We had 2 games against lower league opposition so it was expected we'd win those. Sunday isn't a make or break game or anything like that, put out a decent strength team and see how it goes. If Arsenal win sure it's more games for them to worry about.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    I also remember getting to the CL final in 07 which is what getting top 4 is about. That's the thing about top 4, it isn't a sole aim in itself, it's what comes from it.

I'm not pushed about the Cup, it's a side show this season. We had 2 games against lower league opposition so it was expected we'd win those. Sunday isn't a make or break game or anything like that, put out a decent strength team and see how it goes. If Arsenal win sure it's more games for them to worry about.

In no way am I saying that we prioritise the FA cup over CL qualification but I do believe that a win on Sunday can give us a momentum that can help our league campaign, winning is a habit and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

We have an advantage not playing the extra midweek games, but Chelsea have the advantage of being owned by a Russian ogliarch who can afford to buy any player in the world, they can even afford to buy a player just so another club can't get him. That is the reason Mourinho is at a club like Chelsea. Squad strength should help them with the extra games.

Mourinho's just a bore at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Shankly Gates

Luis and Gerrard not letting the lads celebrate the second goal

LS7.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

In no way am I saying that we prioritise the FA cup over CL qualification but I do believe that a win on Sunday can give us a momentum that can help our league campaign, winning is a habit and all that.

As much as I would love us to win the cup this year or any other year, I think our squad is too threadbare to mount a challenge for 4th and sustain a cup run. We really only have about 16-17 first team players in our squad, and about 6 of those are injured at the moment. Any injuries in a cup game could be disastrous for our league ambitions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Hadn't realised Gerrard did it too. Love that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Maybe so.

Just seen on Sky sports news Suarez and Sturridge are the top striking partnership in Europe with 39 goals together.

I was very doubtful about Sturridge as a signing from the beginning, so glad to be proven wrong.

On Sturridge, thats some... erm...naked honesty there;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

In your best scouse accent:

"That la. That was fookin brilliant. Well done son"

i0HbMsQ6GmjzK.gif

As much as I would love us to win the cup this year or any other year, I think our squad is too threadbare to mount a challenge for 4th and sustain a cup run. We really only have about 16-17 first team players in our squad, and about 6 of those are injured at the moment. Any injuries in a cup game could be disastrous for our league ambitions

You make a cup run sound like a marathon.

We're talking 4 games excluding replays.

The injured players aren't dead you know, most coming back within a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Great days

Call me buzz mckillerson but I ain't buying it. If we are in this position mid to end of March then it's f€cking on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

billy2012 wrote: »
    Anybody have a link to a replay of the match?

In 2 parts billy but not in english . Russian i think . If thats any good to you ;)

http://livefootballvideo.com/highlights/england/premier-league/fulham-vs-liverpool-2

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement