Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

klose wrote: »
    Bloody hell, if vertonghen is being offered a "significant" pay rise to 40k a week what the hell must he be on now?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10659714/Spurs-to-offer-Jan-Vertonghen-significant-rise-to-40k-a-week-wages-to-keep-Belgian-at-White-Hart-Lane.html

Theres a player we could do with in defence*

*may be getting ahead of myself here

I think the article means he is on £40K a week now.
    Just a bad phrase, when they say "a significant pay rise to £40k a week" they mean "a significant payrise to his current £40K a week."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Is this the United thread? Lots of talk in here about United. If you ask me nothing much has changed. Liverpool fans have always thought that we we're sh1te and Liverpool are still winning fcuk all.

Congrats on the top 4 trophy x

Mickey mouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Red Crow wrote: »
    If you ask me

yeah that happened :zzz:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Haha :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Is this the United thread? Lots of talk in here about United. If you ask me nothing much has changed. Liverpool fans have always thought that we we're sh1te and Liverpool are still winning fcuk all.

Mickey mouse

Thanks xoxoxoxo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ah come on lad. No need for it.

They are more then entitled to see United in demise and be happy. They are still in with chance of league too even if its odds against

Thanks xoxoxoxo

Lyk if u cryd xoxo

They are more then entitled to see United in demise and be happy. They are still in with chance of league too even if its odds against

They won't win the league not a chance.

Oh and can I just say to all Liverpool fans.

Im delighted to see Daniel Sturridge doing so well this season. Really top top top player.

I have being saying it for ages now.

Ballon d'or 2015 in waiting.

You can print that

sniff.................;):pac:

*please please please Suarez get top scorer this season. For the love of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Im delighted to see Daniel Sturridge doing so well this season. Really top top top player.

You can print that

Did anyone take that bet in the end?

• Advertisement

They won't win the league not a chance.

They have a chance.

You never know.

Anyway im outta here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Mickey mouse

Interestingly enough United play Liverpool at OT on the 16th of March which is the game after Southampton. I can see us inflicting a very heavy defeat that day as United are in bits. The game against Olympiakos was one of the worst matches I've seen this season, a totally gutless performance.

You can print that

You laughed at me at the start of the season when I said Sturridge could be top scorer in the league. This view that he was a top player could not be held by you that long.

Augmerson wrote: »
    You laughed at me at the start of the season when I said Sturridge could be top scorer in the league. This view that he was a top player could not be held by you that long.

NU3KE.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Mickey mouse

Thanks. Congrats on another great result tonight.

Enormous Gif

Xm5gd9y.gif

Que?

Que?

I was taking the piss out of myself. You know egg in my face. Yes you could be right about Sturridge. Thats what I was saying in post. I was giving you credit.

Dear Lord man you still did not get it.

I was taking the piss out of myself. You know egg in my face. Yes you could be right about Sturridge. Thats what I was saying in post. I was giving you credit.

I do get it it's alright lad.

I do get it it's alright lad.

Thank the lord.:p:p

Fair play lad. Was good call even if he does come 2nd.

I got it wrong. Hold my hands up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

He's doing a reverse piss take or something, went over your head anyway!

Loads of people on this thread with egg on their face about Sturridge from when he was signed, so you've plenty of company. I thought he'd be a 10-15 PL goal striker, he surprised a lot of people here watching him last season.

That he's taken off from last season and actually improved again has surprised me, (thought he'd get 20 goals in all competitions), must be the best finisher in the league atm and he has great awareness in one on ones, and scored a few beauties as well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »

Loads of people on this thread with egg on their face about Sturridge from when he was signed, so you've plenty of company. I thought he'd be a 10-15 PL goal striker, he surprised a lot of people here watching him last season.

That he's taken off from last season and actually improved again has surprised me, (thought he'd get 20 goals in all competitions), must be the best finisher in the league atm and he has great awareness in one on ones, and scored a few beauties as well.

Its his finishing that has surprised me. If he was South American he be after by Barca or Real. Playing very well.

Bit too well for my liking. Although I joined the club and put him in my FF team few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

klose wrote: »
    Bloody hell, if vertonghen is being offered a "significant" pay rise to 40k a week what the hell must he be on now?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10659714/Spurs-to-offer-Jan-Vertonghen-significant-rise-to-40k-a-week-wages-to-keep-Belgian-at-White-Hart-Lane.html

Theres a player we could do with in defence*

*may be getting ahead of myself here

We should go all fantasy football and offer them Agger and Mignolet for Lloris and Vertonghen.

We could even offer to set up a Moses loan deal as a sweetener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Interestingly enough United play Liverpool at OT on the 16th of March which is the game after Southampton. I can see us inflicting a very heavy defeat that day as United are in bits. The game against Olympiakos was one of the worst matches I've seen this season, a totally gutless performance.

You just know Unite are going to come out and play the game of the season in that one. And then be mediocre-to-crap every other match!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

You just know Unite are going to come out and play the game of the season in that one. And then be mediocre-to-crap every other match!

Liverpool will have nobody to blame for that one. United are vulnerable and in a period where they are there for the taking. You cannot turn it on and off like a tap at that level. Lets just hope that Moyes is left in charge for the next 2 games at least ... last thing we need is a new manager.

Love Moysie ... hope they recover enough over the last few games so he keeps his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Liverpool will have nobody to blame for that one. United are vulnerable and in a period where they are there for the taking. You cannot turn it on and off like a tap at that level. Lets just hope that Moyes is left in charge for the next 2 games at least ... last thing we need is a new manager.

Love Moysie ... hope they recover enough over the last few games so he keeps his job.

That United team is the same team that won the Premiership by 11 points less than a year ago, so they ARE capable of playing given the right motivation.

United won't sack Moyes that quickly - they'll want to have a successor lined up and some sort of long-term plan before they do anything. I'd imagine he'll get the rest of the season at the very least.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sturridge goals 2013/14:
    http://vimeo.com/87620503

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

If both our defences / attacks play to their potential they're going to need a bigger scoreboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

And to turn this around in terms of focus, the reality is that Utd have the structural soundness to work their way back from this low point much quicker than we did. One bad season isn't going to hugely affect their massive revenue streams (they can subsume the loss of CL revenue in the short term) or the pull the club has. Rooney / Mata / Carrick (criminally underrated) / De Gea / Rafael is a good start in terms of players sure to be there next season. Clearing out Vidic / Rio / Giggs / Evra and aggressively going after it in the transfer market will be a huge positive and dumping the hapless manager will bring on an obvious improvement.

The point in all of this for us is that we will need to get after it this summer if we do secure a spot in the CL draw somewhere (even if it's a tough 3rd round tie) and invest heavily to capitalise on the manager and player's extraordinary work thus far. Utd will be back in the mix sooner rather than later, and Spurs and Everton are likely to retain their level at the very least.

We should absolutely be enjoying this dreamland season and allowing ourselves to dream just a little - but complacency this summer could leave us with very sad faces this time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Cartman78 wrote: »

jesus we conceded 7 in our last 3 games :D and to think we are unbeaten in the league in 8 games lol. i know there is talk of a challenge for the big one. but i wont be counting any chickens until we beat united and spurs. once we secure 4th then we can start dreaming. we need to keep pace though. if we fall more than 5/6 points behind by april then we wont have a chance of clawing that back even beating chelsea and city at anfield. but less than 5 points in it by april and possible wins against them might almost be enough.

but first and foremost we need to just keep playing one game at a time and outscoring whoever we play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

K-9 wrote: »

Pissception?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Paulegend wrote: »
    jesus we conceded 7 in our last 3 games :D and to think we are unbeaten in the league in 8 games lol. i know there is talk of a challenge for the big one. but i wont be counting any chickens until we beat united and spurs. once we secure 4th then we can start dreaming. we need to keep pace though. if we fall more than 5/6 points behind by april then we wont have a chance of clawing that back even beating chelsea and city at anfield. but less than 5 points in it by april and possible wins against them might almost be enough.

but first and foremost we need to just keep playing one game at a time and outscoring whoever we play.

Exactly no point planning 4/5 games ahead, lets get Southampton out of the way first see what happens then.

Was looking at the same stage in 08/09 when we were chasing Utd.. and this was interesting

1 Manchester United 26 19 5 2 46 11 62
    2 Chelsea 27 16 7 4 47 16 55
    3 Liverpool 27 15 10 2 43 20 55

Now do I think we will do it?..probably not... then again I didn't think we could get close in 08/09 either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

I not only doubted Sturridge, but I doubted the manager and club as a consequence of buying Sturridge. Us men folk don't like being wrong but I couldn't be happier to be so wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

He panics the most when he gets the ball. He reminds me of our center half for our club team last year. 10 of our first team players were able to pass the ball around, even the keeper, and never panicked under pressure. Playing it around the back and we give it to him, no one around him, and he either boots it long or out over the sideline. Reminds me of Kolo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Vanolder wrote: »
    I not only doubted Sturridge, but I doubted the manager and club as a consequence of buying Sturridge. Us men folk don't like being wrong but I couldn't be happier to be so wrong.

And I thought he'd be a success, and I am delighted I was right!

But I thought the same about Cisse, and Kewell, and Morientes, so.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Coming from Toure thats a bit ridiculous.....

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Mickey mouse

Your tears are delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Exactly no point planning 4/5 games ahead, lets get Southampton out of the way first see what happens then.

Was looking at the same stage in 08/09 when we were chasing Utd.. and this was interesting

Now do I think we will do it?..probably not... then again I didn't think we could get close in 08/09 either

stop that your getting me excited:D

i was thinking about it the weekend after the swansea game. you know when you become like man united, winning the league most years or at least expecting to challenge (this year aside and im not going to mock them as i know it will be bad karma and we dont need that right now:D). i was wondering is there ever a time where you actually think "of course we will win it". i was thinking does it ever actually become a thing where instead of brushing it aside for the whole year until the last couple of weeks, you just take it from day one and say we are in the title race. scary

anyway i said it in october that i wont say we are in it until the game against united in mid march. but even at that no point in beating united at old trafford if we lose or draw to sunderland at anfield or fail to beat southampton this weekend

Vanolder wrote: »
    Dickerty wrote: »
    And I thought he'd be a success, and I am delighted I was right!

But I thought the same about Cisse, and Kewell, and Morientes, so.... :D

This is what i said when he signed. Probably way off with Borini as i dont think he will ever be first choice.
    NukaCola wrote: »
    Brendan will get the best out of young Daniel, just like he's getting the best out of Luis. A front 3 of Suarez, Sturridge and Borini all interchanging could represent a real goal threat. I'm looking forward to seeing them play together. If things work out our frontline could be sorted for the next 5 years.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82474245&postcount=893

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Your tears are delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Utd are playing badly this season in general, but are still ahead of where we were most of our recent poor seasons, and we generally raised our game against Utd, and while if we perform to the level we did against Arenal/Everton/Spurs in the most recent league games against them we could win easily, I expect nothing more than a very tough game there. If we lose against Southampton and they beat West Brom they might also smell a chance to be only 5 points behind with 9 games to go. I don't think they have a realistic chance at 4th at all, but if the worst was to happen (from our pov) they could be rejuvenated.

Stop writing them off yet is all I'm saying. If the gap is 10+ points after we play them then go ahead then, but I for one won't be overconfident about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

Mickey mouse

Jee thanks.

As we'll have our top 4 trophy,

But you can keep your mickey mouse manager.

PS: Don't forget to give congratulations to man city, arsenal and chelsea too X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

This is what i said when he signed. Probably way off with Borini as i dont think he will ever be first choice.

Hmmmm, the days either side of the Sturridge deal is an interesting few pages to be transported back to.
    "Liverpool overpaying for English rubbish again". "A deal that's neither prudent nor acceptable, the club not learning from its mistakes".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

2/3 ain't bad!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

never questioned the Sturridge signing as was anxious as hell to get it closed. :cool:

noodler wrote: »
    2/3 ain't bad!

Thanks meatloaf! :P

I'll say this much, if we go on the kind of run we did in 09 from March through the rest of the season WE WILL win the league this year. Going on that type of form against all comers is the hard part.

mike65 wrote: »

Meh, I've been far more wrong about other things to be perfectly honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

The Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread: Now serving humble pie

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement