Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

All this talk of Lucas is confusing me. I wouldn't dream of changing the midfield so much, let him have a run out at the end of games by all means but he shouldn't start a game until next season(barring injuries or us being 4 points clear at the top on the last day).

tony1980 wrote: »
    If we manage to get 13 points from the next 5 games, it will set us up nicely for the Man City match, if we can then go and beat them at Anfield, I think we could seriously have a chance with a possible title decider against Chelsea at Anfield. I think Arsenal will be in trouble by the end of March, they have Chelsea, Spurs and City and then Everton away at the start of April!! I would expect a couple of draws, a loss and maybe one win in those fixtures for them, that's 7 points, hopefully that could put us about 5 points clear of them if all goes well!!

Sit down quick before you keel over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

beat Spurs at Anfield and 4th is done.

we shouldn't be looking behind us any more though. only upwards.

you can be guaranteed that Suarez and Gerrard are thinking of nothing else but a title challenge.

born winners, the pair of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Stevie:
    "If teams want to play 2v2 against these two, Sturridge and Suarez... (looks at camera) all the best."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

All this title talk is great. I dont see us finishing ahead of both City and Chelsea tbh.. but thats just me
    I think we will do better than 4th though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

At it again.
    Srijandeep Das ‏@LFC_360 now
    Gerrard " I see Theo Walcott's in your studio today and they lost and we won.. (grins)"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

All this title talk is great. I dont see us finishing ahead of both City and Chelsea tbh.. but thats just me

Chelsea have too many handy games left. They will grind out a lot of 1-0 and 2-0 wins. City do have a few tough away games left. Think Chelsea are warm favourites now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

But you just never know with this team, if we can keep the front two fit we'll have a chance. In my eyes anything above fourth is a bonus but it just depends on how big that bonus is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Coutinho needs to grow his hair back

I missed the first half today. My Livescore app had Sakho as starting !
    I take it he didnt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Lets just win all our remaining games, because if we do this we will win the league:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I missed the first half today. My Livescore app had Sakho as starting !
    I take it he didnt

I only noticed those features on livescore today, its a great little app(when they git it right) The website hasn't got a patch on the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

We'd need to beat Chelsea, end of story, that's possible of course. That's why we dare dream! Looking at 2nd and 3rd now, which is great, forget looking over our shoulder!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Coutinho needs to grow his hair back

100% yes. Said as much a few weeks back.
    Was just thinking about that yesterday and I believe his drop in form correlates with his shaving of his afro. His ability comes from his hair like Torres and Samson.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88795064&postcount=7517

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I'm gonna say it....cant help myself.....

Why didn't we buy in January FFS!!

Great work by Brendan, Allen was worth his starting place, we struggled against Lallana - he sorted that second half they swarmed around him, sheppards hook on Coutinho who was our worst performer bang in time, Sterling scores with first touch! Moved Hendo across to Shaw to cover his runs. Great stuff!

Speaking of Shaw, very impressed with him, like Bale running from left full! No doubt he will be playing for someone else next season. Liverpool should be all over that! I am sure Chelsea will be thinking the same though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

NukaCola wrote: »

We'd be first if we did sure

Ffs, have we dropped points since January? Give over.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Bloc Party!

Im surprised no one has mentioned mignolet yet..The game would of been completely different if that goal had to go in that he saved..Very solid game today,onwards and upwards hopefully :)

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »
    We'd be first if we did sure

An extra bit of quality could make all the difference lads....

I'd love a direct replacement for Coutinho right now though, no10, Mata/Oscar type ... he struggles in some games and our ability to keep the ball is restricted.

An extra bit of quality could make all the difference lads....

All the difference to what? Not dropping any points since January?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I'd love a direct replacement for Coutinho right now though, no10, Mata/Oscar type ... he struggles in some games and our ability to keep the ball is restricted.

Nahh not for me.

we have a player with buckets if ability but who does not apply it often enough.

Rodgers will get the best out of him and I'm confident the gap between good and bad performances will narrow.

All the difference to what? Not dropping any points since January?

Whats with all the attitude?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Coutinho is still young, he has games where it doesnt go right or whatever but there is also games like he played at home to Arsenal where he was immense all round.

• Advertisement

Whats with all the attitude?

I fail to see how we could make an improvement on 5 wins in the last 5 games since January. No attitude here at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

But it'll really be telling at the end of the season.

Unless we win every other game left and win the league there's no question that it was a missed opportunity.

Not a sacking offence for anyone maybe and if we get 4th everyone is entitled to feel satisfied but at the very least I hope it's a lesson to those involved.
    You never know what's coming and all you can do is give yourself the best possible chance for success. We definitely didn't do that in January.
    We've done it for most of the rest of the season. But we failed in that transfer window.

Maybe Sturridge and Suarez would've both broke their legs if we signed Konoplyanka. But it was still a bad bit of business by the club to not get him or someone to bolster the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

daithijjj wrote: »
    Coutinho is still young, he has games where it doesnt go right or whatever but there is also games like he played at home to Arsenal where he was immense all round.

Absolutely. Any struggles the team has on the back of it are down to the state the squad is in and not down to him.

The same applies to Sterling and Flannagan as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

More impressive stats...
    MrBoywunder ‏@MrBoywunder 32s

Top goalscorers in Europe -
    73 - #LFC
    71 - Real Madrid
    70 - Barcelona
    69 - Man City
    66 - Bayern Munich

When you think of the money that the clubs below us have to spend it's an incredible achievement.

Need to finish the season strongly before the backslappery gets too full on though.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Nahh not for me.

we have a player with buckets if ability but who does not apply it often enough.

Rodgers will get the best out of him and I'm confident the gap between good and bad performances will narrow.

He has been far too inconsistent for me though for some time now. When he plays well, like really well, we tend to hammer teams 5-Zip but those games are never followed up. He gets targetted in some games (Villa springs to mind) and for such a young lad i'd like to see him rested and bring him through more gradually. Like Sterling. We tend to forgive him cos we see what he can be and obviously cos we are winning.

• Advertisement

I fail to see how we could make an improvement on 5 wins in the last 5 games since January. No attitude here at all

Sure we'll walk it so....there really was no need to bring in reinforcements that can push us further on.

FB's nah they're great, no need for quality there, sure we are winning whats the problem.

Midfield is getting over run a lot, nah no need for reinforcements sure we are winning games and stuff. DM? Nah sure Gerrard is bossing it. Coutinho goes missing a lot but **** it sure we are winning.

All is great. We'll walk the league so because we are winning games with no problems at all.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

He has been far too inconsistent for me though for some time now. When he plays well, like really well, we tend to hammer teams 5-Zip but those games are never followed up. He gets targetted in some games (Villa springs to mind) and for such a young lad i'd like to see him rested and bring him through more gradually. Like Sterling. We tend to forgive him cos we see what he can be and obviously cos we are winning.

No Liverpool player needs rest. We only have a match on a Sat or Sunday to worry about.

well maybe Suarez who is coming on 3 straight years of football, but I suppose his bans helped.

Coutinho will be fine.

now lets talk about a boy who has recently become a man. ......

Jon Flanagan take a bow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

tony1980 wrote: »
    If we manage to get 13 points from the next 5 games, it will set us up nicely for the Man City match, if we can then go and beat them at Anfield, I think we could seriously have a chance with a possible title decider against Chelsea at Anfield. I think Arsenal will be in trouble by the end of March, they have Chelsea, Spurs and City and then Everton away at the start of April!! I would expect a couple of draws, a loss and maybe one win in those fixtures for them, that's 7 points dropped, hopefully that could put us about 5 points clear of them if all goes well!!

Man City match could be moved to the last mid week of the season

Agueroooo wrote: »
    No Liverpool player needs rest. We only have a match on a Sat or Sunday to worry about.

well maybe Suarez who is coming on 3 straight years of football, but I suppose his bans helped.

Coutinho will be fine.

now lets talk about a boy who has recently become a man. ......

Jon Flanagan take a bow

I don't mean rest as in he is tired, i mean "rest" him in the old fashioned "dropped" sense. Take him out of the team for a game or two and introduce him into the team more gradually. Sterling is the prime example. It'd be easier if we actually had another replacement of course - one that could be swapped in and out like the bigger teams like City/Chelsea. It is not as noticeable then when you replace with the same quality. Unfortunately we do not.

Flanno is a shining example of someone that took an uppercut to the chin many moons ago when dropped from the first team and when the chance reared its head he grabbed it with both hands and battered it into submission. Very impressive.

Another victory helped by Rogers tactical changes. None of this waiting until 70 mins. He makes the necessary adjustments and it seems to work almost every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

The RTE report just said that as soon as Suarez scored the first tonight anything but a Liverpool win looked unlikely.

He then said that it was a comfortable 3-0 win, maybe in the end but for the first hour or so it was anything but!!!

Gbear wrote: »
    You never know what's coming and all you can do is give yourself the best possible chance for success. We definitely didn't do that in January.

Exactly. The squad has been fantastic and we are in great form, but to say not strengthening in January was fine because we are in good form since January is extremely short sighted, almost stupid IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

daithijjj wrote: »

But the problem is for every arsenal performance there is 5 southampton ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Knex. wrote: »
    Stevie:
    Quote:
    "If teams want to play 2v2 against these two, Sturridge and Suarez... (looks at camera) all the best."

Very clever comment. He's hoping teams playing against us will go 3 at the back now to cope with SAS and that will give us a better chance to dominate midfield. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There's a hell of a lot of things going for us this season, look at the fixture list up to the City game:

Fixtures.png

Arsenal has as tough a run of fixtures as you can get and could still be in the Cup come April, Chelsea tough enough and if they progress in the CL could have a CL S/F before they play us in April, City have a tough enough March and will probably have a Cup S/F, our game could possibly be postponed, Spurs have to play Benfica twice in a week and could have an EC Q/F after they play us.

If we could get 10-12 points in the 5 games before City, that becomes a very juicy game indeed!

It's very unlikely we'll finish in the top 2, we've the hardest run in, Arsenal and Spurs in particular have a softer run in when they get these tough games over them, but Cups and European games could go in our favour too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Daniel Sturridge ‏@D_Sturridge 2h
    Jhheeeezzz!!! What a win!! Great team victory. 10 cup finals for us until the end of the season. #ynwa #redordead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Gerrard always gives good interviews, but the reality is that he's been in this position twice in his career and come up short both times. He's won everything else, and his performances have been better the more involved we've become but we have to accept the reality that we lack experience for this scenario. The manager, the captain, the senior players and the star players: how many league winner medals are shared between them?

Suarez has a couple, but I'd suggest this is different.

This **** matters because in 15 day's time it will be like a cup final, and every game thereafter gets harder. More pressure, more anticipation.

Of course, experience isn't everything as Utd proved in 2012. But all we have in our hands is Houllier's 'X games from history' quote from 2002. 10 potential disappointments ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It isn't 5 in 5. I don't think Rodgers ever has put 5 wins in a row together, not in the league anyway.

4 is the most, did that just now and in December, 3 before that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Gerrard always gives good interviews, but the reality is that he's been in this position twice in his career and come up short both times. He's won everything else, and his performances have been better the more involved we've become but we have to accept the reality that we lack experience for this scenario. The manager, the captain, the senior players and the star players: how many league winner medals are shared between them?

Suarez has a couple, but I'd suggest this is different.

This **** matters because in 15 day's time it will be like a cup final, and every game thereafter gets harder. More pressure, more anticipation.

Of course, experience isn't everything as Utd proved in 2012. But all we have in our hands is Houllier's 'X games from history' quote from 2002. 10 potential disappointments ahead!

Liverpools-Summer-signing-from-Manchester-City-Kolo-Toure.jpg

Sure we'll walk it so....there really was no need to bring in reinforcements that can push us further on.

FB's nah they're great, no need for quality there, sure we are winning whats the problem.

Midfield is getting over run a lot, nah no need for reinforcements sure we are winning games and stuff. DM? Nah sure Gerrard is bossing it. Coutinho goes missing a lot but **** it sure we are winning.

All is great. We'll walk the league so because we are winning games with no problems at all.

Or we bring in a player who completely disrupts the harmony in the squad and turns a guaranteed 4th into a fight for 6th. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with the way the squad is performing at the moment, since close of business in January we have dropped 2 points, 2!!.

We could have spent 15m on a player in January who took months to settle and persisting in playing him means less game time for Sterling, that win today would possibly have ended as a draw without his goal.

No, I'm fine with how things are but you just keep on with the "smart" comments if that's what you want to do. I have complete faith in our squad and our manager to do what is necessary to get us where we need to be.

K-9 wrote: »
    It isn't 5 in 5. I don't think Rodgers ever has put 5 wins in a row together, not in the league anyway.

4 is the most, did that just now and in December, 3 before that.

I know, for some reason I'd forgotten about the West Brom game. It's 2 draws and 6 wins from our league games this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Im surprised no one has mentioned mignolet yet..The game would of been completely different if that goal had to go in that he saved..Very solid game today,onwards and upwards hopefully :)

Absolutely. He's taken a fair bit of stick over the last while and rightfully so imo but he was solid today. Even left his line a couple of times which I thought we'd never see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Absolutely. He's taken a fair bit of stick over the last while and rightfully so imo but he was solid today. Even left his line a couple of times which I thought we'd never see.

Too right, I'd already accepted that shot was going in. He got down very well for it. I was delighted for him today, even though I took him out of my fantasy team last night...oh well, I'll take the 3 points in real life!:D

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with the way the squad is performing at the moment, since close of business in January we have dropped 2 points, 2!!

You are being extremely short sighted.

Just because we are in good form is no excuse for not to strengthening the squad when the opportunity arises. Especially not in a great position like we are in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Great save from The Mig today. Anyone who still feels the need to bring up thy few errors Mignolet made and fails to see his incredible saves - important saves - needs their head examined!
    He can't kick for crap but fup it lads he is the goalie, goalies no good at football.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement