Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I love the default reaction of done fans both here and in the Arsenal thread.

Totally unexpected title challenge???

FFS :mad: how come we didn't spend more. We'd be walking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Great save from The Mig today. Anyone who still feels the need to bring up thy few errors Mignolet made and fails to see his incredible saves - important saves - needs their head examined!
    He can't kick for crap but fup it lads he is the goalie, goalies no good at football.

Twas a super save and an all round good performance from Mignolet today. Thought Skrtel and Agger played very well (mainly Skrtel), they were under a fair bit of pressure in the 1st half and dealt with the majority of it quite well.

And that penalty from Gerrard, perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Champions elect.

6gf62.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

my brothers 20 bet on liverpool to win the league back in december is looking good :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Wow. To say I'm happy with that win would be an understatement.

They could be the most important win of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

gosplan wrote: »
    I love the default reaction of done fans both here and in the Arsenal thread.

Totally unexpected title challenge???

FFS :mad: how come we didn't spend more. We'd be walking it.

You give yourself every opportunity that exists. Strengthening a thin squad in January to finish as high as possible is one of them. LFC did not do this. Some people are happy because we are winning games. I just happen to think we need to strengthen every window. If we had, the very worst is we would have a few players settled for next season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

looks like there is real belief there

sterling and allen excellent today and the centre-backs looking more solid

it'll be a cup-final for man u trying to derail our title charge but even if we lose that game (and on current form we should have no fear going there unless webb is reffing) then we have a few winnable fixtures after that

the key will be how we react after the man u result

win at man u - stay calm, 9 games to go

draw at man u - decent result, keep the momentum going

lose at man u - it's not over, don't drop the heads or lose confidence, aim for the title and 4th will seem like a cakewalk

sometimes i think of a little passage in nick hornby's fever pitch book, when they won the title after michael thomas' last minute goal, hornby said that his sheer bloody-minded obsession with all things arsenal died a little bit, he could be at peace at last, he'd enjoyed the title win and it wasn't such an all-consuming force within him anymore

if we win the title, whether it be this season or next or whenever, I think I'll feel the same, don't get me wrong I'll still support the team and follow their progress but won't be absolutely committed to watching every minute of every game or reading every bit of info I can get access that such that it eats into other parts of my life

I need the title win soon so that I, my family, my girlfriend etc. can finally get some kind of closure - does that make any sense?

then again if we lose out again, let the beautiful struggle continue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Good to see s get the points in a tougher game than we could have done with. Southampton are a decent footballing side and they were the width of the post away from taking the game level and who knows what would have happened after that. Having said that, its been a while since I could say we have had a bit of real good luck.

Title is not beyond us but I would rather we did not drop out of the top 4 for looking at the title and missing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

NukaCola wrote: »
    You give yourself every opportunity that exists. Strengthening a thin squad in January to finish as high as possible is one of them. LFC did not do this. Some people are happy because we are winning games. I just happen to think we need to strengthen every window. If we had, the very worst is we would have a few players settled for next season.

It's not a simple game of fantasy manager though.

Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea were all in a title race with clear areas that needed strengthening that weren't addressed.

I pay attention to whet those managers did rather than the average boardsie's version of what they SHOULD have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Very professional performance by the Redmen today. Although some players didn't play particularly great, for the most part they all did a perfect job. We didn't have the majority of possession and there were a few moments in the 1st half when Southhampton almost got in the lads defended well and took their chances when they came. Great to see Suarez score again, the guy is a Red through and through.

The fans in the ground played their part too. It sounded like a home match throughout the 2nd half. And then to hear "We're going to win the league!" about 20 mins from time was really sweet. I haven't heard that chant for a long, long time but it sounded real. I mean, it is a chant I actually believe in right now. I have been very cautious all season long, not wanting to get too hopeful but I don't think I can hold myself back any longer. This could well be "Our Year". Why the hell not? This is our best chance so I hope the Redmen take it. I do believe they will. The other teams around us will drop points and we gotta be ready. We will.

But you know what? Even if we don't win the league and finish either 2nd, 3rd or 4th I'll still be a very happy Liverpool FC supporter because this current squad, manager and staff have given me something that has been missing for too long. I have pride and belief and hope once again. Oh and joy too! I love Liverpool FC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'd love a direct replacement for Coutinho right now though, no10, Mata/Oscar type ... he struggles in some games and our ability to keep the ball is restricted.

Don't agree with this at all. I'm a big fan of Coutinho. He's inconsistent, but eventually I think he will be up there with the likes of Oscar etc.

I think Coutinho is brilliant.

gosplan wrote: »
    I pay attention to whet those managers did rather than the average boardsie's version of what they SHOULD have done.

Of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Just a comment on one aspect of todays game that was only briefly mentioned.

Brendan Rodgers.

An excellent game plan tactically.

I was delighted he got the job in the first place but I had reservations about his ability to change the basic template he had put in place at the start of last season.

Well, the last 14 months have eased my mind to a huge degree. I dont think anyone thought we would see Liverpool play a midfield diamond, let alone a successful one like today. This is the latest in number of successful tactical changes that he has overseen this year.

Well done, Brendan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Twitter saying John Henry says there was a 40m clause

1796614_10152249837404138_967789246_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Who is he saying that to?

It creates an image of Henry arguing with a lamppost while swigging from a bottle of rum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

MarkY91 wrote: »
    my brothers 20 bet on liverpool to win the league back in december is looking good :D

I put 20 on them to win the CL after the Olympikas game in 2005.......jus saying!

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Who is he saying that to?

It creates an image of Henry arguing with a lamppost while swigging from a bottle of rum.
    Some more cracking quotes from @John_W_Henry at the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference coming up covering Suarez, Torres, and more

https://twitter.com/lovefutebol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Wasn't there a poster on this thread that put money on us to win the league and was going to host a celebration party for a select 20 or something?

Forget who it was now.

We all had a good laugh at him at the time I recall.

I refuse to believe any Liverpool supporter was 'delighted' when Brendan Rodgers took over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

monkey9 wrote: »
    I refuse to believe any Liverpool supporter was 'delighted' when Brendan Rodgers took over.

Some were willing to give him a chance.

Others weren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I was

djPSB wrote: »
    Wasn't there a poster on this thread that put money on us to win the league and was going to host a celebration party for a select 20 or something?

Forget who it was now.

Was it BornTobyWilde?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I can categorically state I was very happy when he took over. The only realistic manager I wanted ahead of him was Rafa.

Forget who it was now.

I've money on us to win the league.

Found 30 cent in PP account. Stand to win a fiver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Was it BornTobyWilde?

Think it was the Eriksen is it? bloke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Was it BornTobyWilde?

Jaysus forgot about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

klose wrote: »
    Jaysus forgot about him.

Dearly Departed
    Gone
    But
    Not Forgotten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

He was my second choice I wanted Martinez

Anyone see the Adam stamp he really is a horrible chap has some record now can't all be coincidence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I'm curious.

How does it feel to be a younger supporter now? By younger I mean young enough that the 08/09 was, before this season, the closest you saw Liverpool FC come to winning a title.

Now we sit on more points after 28 games than we did after that many games in 08/09.

Is it a feeling of excitement? Of hope?

Do those feeling mix freely with a nervous expectation that there is a fall to come?

I'm no longer a young pup, so cannot remember what it felt like for me the first time I realised Liverpool were in a title race.

But I am an old dog, an old wolf maybe, and I know how I am feeling about this season.

A couple of games back this is how I felt

Think all that matters right now is the 12 remaining games.

Despite it being an awful cliche, those games really have to be treated like 12 cup finals.

Saw an interesting stat last night which surprised me a little. We are closer to first place in terms of points after 26 games this season than we were after 26 games in the 2008/09 season.

We were 7 points off of first after 26 games in 2008/09, and we are 4 points off after the same amount of games this season.

12 massive games. 12 games that give Rodgers an outside chance of pulling off something that would be bigger than our CL run in 04/05.

When a fan starts to dream it can be something that leads to heartbreak, but I sure as hell hope that some of our players are starting to dream and that it puts some extra fire in their bellies. Sone of the senior players certainly seem to have sensed there is a chance, however slim, and their reactions after goals have reflected this.

One thing I do know is that if, at 15:00 on Sunday May 1th, we are in a position where three points can still win the title on, then I am confident that I will be sat in an Anfield that is louder than the one I sat in when we played Chelsea in the CL semi final in 2005. That for me is the dream.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89062710&postcount=1216

Now we are almost two weeks further down the line and this old wolf has stuck his snout in the air and drawn breath to see what scents are being carried on the breeze.

You know what I smell? You know what all the other old wolves can smell?

Blood.

That unmistakable rich coppery taste.

That signal that tells us prey is nearby.

That scent that lends strength to our limbs so that we can give chase.

Make no mistake we are in this hunt. We may not be the one that brings down the prey in the end, but we sure as hell are trying to make sure that we do get to make the kill.

Title race is on, young pups and old wolves.

And it is no longer a case of hoping we can be part of it.

One of my favourie quotes came from the mouth of James J Corbett and sums up, for me, where we as a fanbase need to be right now, where the players need to be at, and where the manager needs to be at.

Fight one more round. When your arms are so tired that you can hardly lift your hands to come on guard, fight one more round. When your nose is bleeding and your eyes are black and you are so tired that you wish that your opponent would crack you one on the jaw and put you to sleep, fight one more round remembering that the man who always fights one more round is never whipped

The hunt is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Anyone see the Adam stamp he really is a horrible chap has some record now can't all be coincidence

He's a vicious wee man, no doubt. Gets away with all sorts though. Seemed to have been on a one man mission to drive Gareth Bale out of England over the past couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Forget who it was now.

think it was audman.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Was it BornTobyWilde?

I miss that chap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭kildare75

sometimes i think of a little passage in nick hornby's fever pitch book, when they won the title after michael thomas' last minute goal, hornby said that his sheer bloody-minded obsession with all things arsenal died a little bit, he could be at peace at last, he'd enjoyed the title win and it wasn't such an all-consuming force within him anymore

if we win the title, whether it be this season or next or whenever, I think I'll feel the same, don't get me wrong I'll still support the team and follow their progress but won't be absolutely committed to watching every minute of every game or reading every bit of info I can get access that such that it eats into other parts of my life

I need the title win soon so that I, my family, my girlfriend etc. can finally get some kind of closure - does that make any sense?

then again if we lose out again, let the beautiful struggle continue[/QUOTE]

To me that makes perfect sense. I'm 38 years of age and im fortunate that half my family come from Liverpool, so I grew up in the Anfield tradition...winning ...I still go over to games as often as I can,
    I can remember going to Wembley with me granddad to see Ronnie Whelan score that goal against united...and you kinda took winning things for granted...( I know I was young), but when the league titles stopped, and the hope kinda turned to blind optimism, that every season we would click and get back on top...and I suppose its the hope that kills you in the end... sure we had the odd great one off occasions, 05 obviously, and a few more one offs, that brings back the joy of being a red,

but I have to say this season, that hope, has turned into real belief. don't believe that Brendan is Shanks... or even close.....he is himself... he is a young manager who has proved himself to be very shrewd...tactically aware, willing to learn and above all....someone for me to really believe in..... someone who can and maybe will take us back to where we once used to dwell..... and that's champions.... champions of the league we once took almost for granted,
    and to do that with the squad he has, will in my humble opinion, rank up there with the greatest achievements this proud club had ever had..
    sorry if I gone on a wee bit, and I know its my first post in here, but I just want to say a simple thank you.... thank you Brendan Rodgers for allowing this red to dream....to really dream the dream of dreams.... cheers for reading....sean

Some were willing to give him a chance.

Others weren't.

There's a difference between being delighted with his appointment and giving him a chance.

I was certainly weary but I was also certainly willing to give him a chance in terms of us building something rather than the silicon nonsense of the likes of Man City and Chelsea.

But I still refuse to believe anyone was genuinely delighted at his appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

I was definitely delighted when he became the manager. I firmly believe Rodgers can be our ferguson. Here for the long haul and knows how to get results.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Think it was the Eriksen is it? bloke.

Actually ya.......totally not the same person :P

Kess73 wrote: »

Kess I just about remember the 80's. I'm just as giddy at the thought of a title push now as I was as a kid.

I know one man who is starting to believe

465640205-6640781.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Sometimes I watch that video where we beat Utd 4-1 and saying we are well in the title race. That season was amazing for me but this season is really something, really special. I think I missed one game all season (can't remember which one) but am driven to follow every day until the end. Don't know if I will ever be the same again after this year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'm curious.

I was 6 when we last won the league and I cannot remember it at all. All I really have to compare with is 08/09

08/09 was hearbreaking because we played so well in the run-in, but United kept winning, often with late goals. 08/09 felt different. It felt more desperate, like we HAD to win the league that season or we might never win it again. Failing that season and having CL qualification to fall back on felt meaningless, because we'd become so accustomed to the CL over the previous 7/8 years. So failure felt like failure. This season if we fail to win the league, but finish top 4, it will still be a massive success.

Also, that 08/09 team felt like it was kind of coming towards the end of a cycle with Alonso always likely to move on that summer and Mascherano/Torres were going to be difficult to hang onto. That and the ownership situation made it very hard to take.

This might be the closest this team ever comes to winning a league, but there's every reason to believe that we can improve in the coming years, with Sterling, Coutinho, Sturridge, Allen, Henderson and others all having their best years ahead of them, and Suarez, if we can keep him, coming into his best years now.

• Advertisement

This has been one of the most enjoyable seasons for a long while.

Outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'm curious.

How does it feel to be a younger supporter now? By younger I mean young enough that the 08/09 was, before this season, the closest you saw Liverpool FC come to winning a title.

Now we sit on more points after 28 games than we did after that many games in 08/09.

Is it a feeling of excitement? Of hope?

Do those feeling mix freely with a nervous expectation that there is a fall to come?

It feels as fantastic as it did in 08/09. Seeing your team playing so consistently well is always great.

That said, I still think we have/had a better chance then and the main reason is the Chelsea and City squads are full of talent.

With Suarez and Sturridge we have a chance.. I'm very excited at the prospect of a league win but I'm still taking it 1 game at a time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

There are a few who still arent delighted it seems.
    As crazy as that sounds

Unfortunately I remember many league titles but this would beat the lot
    Tge job Rodgers is doing is incredible
    It's a far greater achievement than 08/09 as city Chelsea and spurs are now a lot stronger plus rafa had a team of reina(at his best) Carra and Sami in defence a midfield of Alonso gerrard and masch with Torres up front
    Brendan hasn't got those luxuries tbh we haven't even got a full back ATM
    Has once again showed he has the head to manage our great club
    And is still learning his trade.

There are a few who still arent delighted it seems.
    As crazy as that sounds

It's crazy alright people can be very stubborn

There's a difference between being delighted with his appointment and giving him a chance.

I was certainly weary but I was also certainly willing to give him a chance in terms of us building something rather than the silicon nonsense of the likes of Man City and Chelsea.

But I still refuse to believe anyone was genuinely delighted at his appointment.
    I wont force you to believe me, just look up my posts from that time:-).
    Unlike quite a few on here, I wasnt looking forward to Rafa coming back (not going to go back to that topic) and I wasnt particularly enamoured with many of the foreign coaches being touted for the job.

Of the two PL managers being touted, Rodgers and Martinez, I didnt like Martinez lack of ability to buy defenders and I found Swansea played a very very attractive brand of football. So much so that I watched nearly as much Swansea as Liverpool 2 years ago.

Not going to get into an argument about it, tonight is a happy time.

As Kess said, I am starting to believe it's possible too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Rodgers is a fanatasic man manager
    so many of our players have improved under his management
    he is by a distance the best British manager imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There's no doubt that I felt a sense of release after Istanbul. Winning that imbued a massive amount of patience for years after. Part of the reason I argued so vociferously with the Benitez detractors on here was because I was genuinely satisfied all the way through 2010. But the past half decade has reignited a fierce determination to win a big one. Partly because we felt as far away from a CL / League title in December 2012 as we did in January 1994.

Does anyone remember the first half hour of the second leg of the 2009 CL Quarter Final? Right there and then it felt like there was pixie dust in the air, that we were invincible. It ended with the Aston Villa capitulation, that's the reality. When they scored the winner in that game it was actually over. The Arshavin madness was just irrelevant in some respects.

We haven't yet touched the brief and fleeting feelings of invincibility felt under the Houllier and Benitez reigns (both for me represented by 10 minute stretches in losing CL QF second leg games). If we're ahead on the scoreboard at some point in the City game while holding first place on a 'live' premiership table I'll have to get back to you on that point though.

There are a couple of nice things that could happen before we even walk out at Old Trafford. If Spurs could drop more points and Olympiakos finish the job we could maybe relax and push all of the grimmest outcomes completely out of our mind and start to look ahead of us with a full focus.

I miss that chap!

Toby still posts, just not on here.

I miss him too, mad posting style but a sound lad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement