Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

NukaCola wrote: »
    Was it BornTobyWilde?

I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

kildare75 wrote: »
    sometimes i think of a little passage in nick hornby's fever pitch book, when they won the title after michael thomas' last minute goal, hornby said that his sheer bloody-minded obsession with all things arsenal died a little bit, he could be at peace at last, he'd enjoyed the title win and it wasn't such an all-consuming force within him anymore

if we win the title, whether it be this season or next or whenever, I think I'll feel the same, don't get me wrong I'll still support the team and follow their progress but won't be absolutely committed to watching every minute of every game or reading every bit of info I can get access that such that it eats into other parts of my life

I need the title win soon so that I, my family, my girlfriend etc. can finally get some kind of closure - does that make any sense?

then again if we lose out again, let the beautiful struggle continue

To me that makes perfect sense. I'm 38 years of age and im fortunate that half my family come from Liverpool, so I grew up in the Anfield tradition...winning ...I still go over to games as often as I can,
    I can remember going to Wembley with me granddad to see Ronnie Whelan score that goal against united...and you kinda took winning things for granted...( I know I was young), but when the league titles stopped, and the hope kinda turned to blind optimism, that every season we would click and get back on top...and I suppose its the hope that kills you in the end... sure we had the odd great one off occasions, 05 obviously, and a few more one offs, that brings back the joy of being a red,

but I have to say this season, that hope, has turned into real belief. don't believe that Brendan is Shanks... or even close.....he is himself... he is a young manager who has proved himself to be very shrewd...tactically aware, willing to learn and above all....someone for me to really believe in..... someone who can and maybe will take us back to where we once used to dwell..... and that's champions.... champions of the league we once took almost for granted,
    and to do that with the squad he has, will in my humble opinion, rank up there with the greatest achievements this proud club had ever had..
    sorry if I gone on a wee bit, and I know its my first post in here, but I just want to say a simple thank you.... thank you Brendan Rodgers for allowing this red to dream....to really dream the dream of dreams.... cheers for reading....sean

CiohtM0.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Think it was the Eriksen is it? bloke.

Yep think you're right.

What was his username again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    There's no doubt that I felt a sense of release after Istanbul. Winning that imbued a massive amount of patience for years after. Part of the reason I argued so vociferously with the Benitez detractors on here was because I was genuinely satisfied all the way through 2010. But the past half decade has reignited a fierce determination to win a big one. Partly because we felt as far away from a CL / League title in December 2012 as we did in January 1994.

Does anyone remember the first half hour of the second leg of the 2009 CL Quarter Final? Right there and then it felt like there was pixie dust in the air, that we were invincible. It ended with the Aston Villa capitulation, that's the reality. When they scored the winner in that game it was actually over. The Arshavin madness was just irrelevant in some respects.

We haven't yet touched the brief and fleeting feelings of invincibility felt under the Houllier and Benitez reigns (both for me represented by 10 minute stretches in losing CL QF second leg games). If we're ahead on the scoreboard at some point in the City game while holding first place on a 'live' premiership table I'll have to get back to you on that point though.

There are a couple of nice things that could happen before we even walk out at Old Trafford. If Spurs could drop more points and Olympiakos finish the job we could maybe relax and push all of the grimmest outcomes completely out of our mind and start to look ahead of us with a full focus.
    not really because 3rd would be alot better than 4th
    we could face a very tough Qualiflier if we finish 4th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

MD1990 wrote: »
    not really because 3rd would be alot better than 4th
    we could face a very tough Qualiflier if we finish 4th

Yeah, but we'd have that at the very least locked up to look forward to. If Utd survive against Olympiakos and get Athletico in the next round some really gut wrenching scenarios will still be in play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

5live wrote: »
    I wont force you to believe me, just look up my posts from that time:-).
    Unlike quite a few on here, I wasnt looking forward to Rafa coming back (not going to go back to that topic) and I wasnt particularly enamoured with many of the foreign coaches being touted for the job.

Of the two PL managers being touted, Rodgers and Martinez, I didnt like Martinez lack of ability to buy defenders and I found Swansea played a very very attractive brand of football. So much so that I watched nearly as much Swansea as Liverpool 2 years ago.

Not going to get into an argument about it, tonight is a happy time.

As Kess said, I am starting to believe it's possible too.

Well, I was always pro Rafa. Always was, always will be. He's up there with the managerial greats of this club, in my opinion.

King Kenny took over and in his second season we reached two cup finals. There's no way anyone thought then "lets sack Kenny and give Rodgers the gig."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Yeah, but we'd have that at the very least locked up to look forward to. If Utd survive against Olympiakos and get Athletico in the next round some really gut wrenching scenarios will still be in play.

As in atletico madrid? They would dick all over united imo, fantastic team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭kildare75

There's no doubt that I felt a sense of release after Istanbul. Winning that imbued a massive amount of patience for years after. Part of the reason I argued so vociferously with the Benitez detractors on here was because I was genuinely satisfied all the way through 2010. But the past half decade has reignited a fierce determination to win a big one. Partly because we felt as far away from a CL / League title in December 2012 as we did in January 1994.

Does anyone remember the first half hour of the second leg of the 2009 CL Quarter Final? Right there and then it felt like there was pixie dust in the air, that we were invincible. It ended with the Aston Villa capitulation, that's the reality. When they scored the winner in that game it was actually over. The Arshavin madness was just irrelevant in some respects.

We haven't yet touched the brief and fleeting feelings of invincibility felt under the Houllier and Benitez reigns (both for me represented by 10 minute stretches in losing CL QF second leg games). If we're ahead on the scoreboard at some point in the City game while holding first place on a 'live' premiership table I'll have to get back to you on that point though.

There are a couple of nice things that could happen before we even walk out at Old Trafford. If Spurs could drop more points and Olympiakos finish the job we could maybe relax and push all of the grimmest outcomes completely out of our mind and start to look ahead of us with a full focus.

genuinely I've admired but not always agreed with your posts over the past few years that I've been looking at this thread, and I can genuinely share your doubts about a lot of things... but sometimes you just have to take a chance...you just have to grab something and really believe that it can happen...
    we are ten games away from winning the league title... ten games.....that sense of invincibility could well slip against united or Cardiff or city or whoever.....but then it might not!
    it could well carry us over the line...it could well be that little spark that separates champions from the rest....
    small things make a massive difference when viewed with hindsight, and perhaps some of our luck at times tonight, or indeed in other games will fall into place for us come season end..
    I was more worried about playing tonights game than the likes of city or chelski,,,they are occasions, real anfield occasions, tonight was a hurdle...and we crossed it...with a wee bit to spare in the end...
    feck it....what have we got to loose....

klose wrote: »
    As in atletico madrid? They would dick all over united imo, fantastic team.

You checked out their form recently?

• Advertisement

Utd under Moyes winning the CL is impossible
    Atletico would beat them easily no chance Utd would break them down & Costa would bully there defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

monkey9 wrote: »
    Well, I was always pro Rafa. Always was, always will be. He's up there with the managerial greats of this club, in my opinion.

King Kenny took over and in his second season we reached two cup finals. There's no way anyone thought then "lets sack Kenny and give Rodgers the gig."

I thought we needed to sack Kenny. We were going nowhere, completely directionless.

During the selection period, but before he became frontrunner, Rodgers became my number 1 choice.

I was in New York the day (yank time, watched it in a bar) we beat Real Madrid at the Bernabeau. I came home to watch us destroy them at Anfield four nil and also beat Manc U at Old Trafford four one.

We won a European Cup and an FA Cup under Rafa whilst playing Champions League football every year. And there were Liverpool fans giving out about Rafa's reign. There were people moaning about that!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Just on the 2009 squad, Jay Spearing scored a peach of a goal today against Blackburn.
    Poor old Kuyt on the wrong end of a stamp:eek: Video clip in the Pardew thread.
    Bhqv8LlCQAAdwDZ.jpg

How did Torres miss this.
    WeeklyFirsthandArrowcrab.gif
    What a ball by Hazard.

I was in New York the day (yank time, watched it in a bar) we beat Real Madrid at the Bernabeau. I came home to watch us destroy them at Anfield four nil and also beat Manc U at Old Trafford four one.

We won a European Cup and an FA Cup under Rafa whilst playing Champions League football every year. And there were Liverpool fans giving out about Rafa's reign. There were people moaning about that!! :eek:
    very easy to make top 4 in Rafa's reign
    City were no where near what they are now Spurs were a mid table team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

We are in danger of bringing up some very old arguments here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Kess73 wrote: »
    I'm curious.

How does it feel to be a younger supporter now? By younger I mean young enough that the 08/09 was, before this season, the closest you saw Liverpool FC come to winning a title.

Now we sit on more points after 28 games than we did after that many games in 08/09.

Is it a feeling of excitement? Of hope?

Do those feeling mix freely with a nervous expectation that there is a fall to come?

I'm no longer a young pup, so cannot remember what it felt like for me the first time I realised Liverpool were in a title race.

But I am an old dog, an old wolf maybe, and I know how I am feeling about this season.

A couple of games back this is how I felt

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89062710&postcount=1216

Now we are almost two weeks further down the line and this old wolf has stuck his snout in the air and drawn breath to see what scents are being carried on the breeze.

You know what I smell? You know what all the other old wolves can smell?

Blood.

That unmistakable rich coppery taste.

That signal that tells us prey is nearby.

That scent that lends strength to our limbs so that we can give chase.

Make no mistake we are in this hunt. We may not be the one that brings down the prey in the end, but we sure as hell are trying to make sure that we do get to make the kill.

Title race is on, young pups and old wolves.

And it is no longer a case of hoping we can be part of it.

One of my favourie quotes came from the mouth of James J Corbett and sums up, for me, where we as a fanbase need to be right now, where the players need to be at, and where the manager needs to be at.

The hunt is on.

Theme Song to your Post, Kess. :D

I thought we needed to sack Kenny. We were going nowhere, completely directionless.

During the selection period, but before he became frontrunner, Rodgers became my number 1 choice.

Yeah I didn't really enjoy that season. We reached two up finals but the league form was brutal.

I would have given him another season. I certainly wouldn't have got rid of him to bring in Rodgers. That literally wouldn't have even entered my head.

MD1990 wrote: »
    very easy to make top 4 in Rafa's reign
    City were no where near what they are now Spurs were a mid table team

Oh without doubt.

I'm curious.

How does it feel to be a younger supporter now? By younger I mean young enough that the 08/09 was, before this season, the closest you saw Liverpool FC come to winning a title.

Now we sit on more points after 28 games than we did after that many games in 08/09.

Do those feeling mix freely with a nervous expectation that there is a fall to come?

I'm no longer a young pup, so cannot remember what it felt like for me the first time I realised Liverpool were in a title race.

But I am an old dog, an old wolf maybe, and I know how I am feeling about this season.

Now we are almost two weeks further down the line and this old wolf has stuck his snout in the air and drawn breath to see what scents are being carried on the breeze.

Blood.

Make no mistake we are in this hunt. We may not be the one that brings down the prey in the end, but we sure as hell are trying to make sure that we do get to make the kill.

One of my favourie quotes came from the mouth of James J Corbett and sums up, for me, where we as a fanbase need to be right now, where the players need to be at, and where the manager needs to be at.

The hunt is on.

that's a heck of a post... I tip my hat to you...I have Goosebumps....lets just win the bloody thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

You're a hard man to please, think you posted before the Chelsea and City games that we should be looking at the title, not top 4, well 10 weeks later we are, maybe not by the route you wanted or expected, but that's the beauty of this league.

To be challenging now considering where we were when Hodgson left is some achievement. At the present moment in time, given the money Chelsea and City have and how far Arsenal are ahead of us with their squad, they could buy Ozil for €45 Million after all, the money Spurs had to spend and how many supporters were raging at how Spurs bought everybody, this isn't far off Rafa in 08/09.

We've no right to be in this position. I can't think of any other team that has gone from 7th, a distant 8th before that (we've 7 more points than that whole season), to 2nd now.

We probably aren't going to do it, Chelsea have their money, manager and battle hardened team, favourites for me, City probably second, but to be even thinking of challenging them in March is boys own stuff. The team and manager have done everything asked of them in the New Year, huge away wins today, Fulham and Stoke. Just as exciting as hammering Spurs, Arsenal and Everton.

It's hard to believe we'll do it, I'm just enjoying the rollercoaster.
    It's just probably too much for most of us to comprehend, all we wanted was a genuine top 4 challenge, it's almost as if we got here by accident. With Rafa and GED there was a pattern, this has just come out of the blue,

Its an outside chance now, it was a dream at Christmas when we were top, and it was a joke for the last 4 years, so I'll take it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

BRING IT FCUKiNG ON!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I cant believe i caught myself daydreaming about how im gonna react when we win the league :D it involved me going from pub to pub for 2 wks solid and heading over to liverpool for the parade ahh it seemed so real, im still smileing about the thought of it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

indykaila News ‏@indykaila 2h
    According to some lad in the pub jax, Brendan Rodgers has agreed terms on his new contract. #LFC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I think the league is still a longshot, we would probably have to win every game as I cant see chelsea dropping many points, i think theyll have a ruthlessly clinical run in. I am however very confident of us finishing ahead of arsenal.

it is almost impossible to stop yourself dreaming...you wait for 24 years... and suddenly out of the fecking blue a real chance comes along..i mean a real genuine not just a makie uppie chance, and the mind goes off on one...and you smile, and you cant stop smiling like a fecking Cheshire cat ( they must be good at smiling!) . You want to buy almost every paper on a Monday. And you skip straight to the sports pages...ie the Liverpool match report...even though you have read it online....and you read it more than once...and you smile...really smile...ah its fecking great to be a red :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I never said we should sack Kenny and give Rodgers the job:-).

But as a fan of near 40 years, I was and am always of the opinion that league placings trump all. It's, imo, the main course and all other cups are dessert. Fair play to Kenny, he took us to 2 finals but the league was turgid stuff, almost Hodgson-like.

I apologise to any who may be offended but i like to watch attractive football and the end of both Kennys second reign and Rafas was difficult to watch for many valid reasons.

So when Kenny left Rodgers was my first choice notwithstanding the risks of placing an inexperienced manager in charge.

It may all turn to sh1te but I will enjoy the momentum and attractive football that (sometimes) go with it.

2nd place, baby, with 10 games to go:-)

If we can beat utd i dont think there is any reason why we cant go on to win our remaining games, plus i think city and chelsea will draw at least one game;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

MR NINE wrote: »
    I think the league is still a longshot, we would probably have to win every game as I cant see chelsea dropping many points, i think theyll have a ruthlessly clinical run in. I am however very confident of us finishing ahead of arsenal.

Same thoughts here really.

And third or better would be absolutely massive for the club - as an achievement in it's own right (rising from seventh to finish above not one, but two of last season's top four) but also in terms of moving forward for next season. Being able to do business immediately on season's end, instead of keeping our powder dry to see how CL qualification goes in August could be vital in a World Cup year.

ill throw in my 2 cents worth... I would have been in favour of rafa returning when Rodgers got the job, I really felt that rafa was given a raw deal, sure the football was not great to watch, but I genuinely think we would have won the league under him, and being honest when I read who was due to come in to replace Kenny, I wasn't best pleased.
    I didn't know lot about Rodgers, bar he played really good football, not great defensively, and he wouldn't have been in my top 5 to replace Kenny.. but im really glad the club showed the vision to give it to him, now I just hope that they allow him to spend the money in the summer, champions or not, that allows us to continue to develop... we have to believe in the fella...ibwb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

K-9 wrote: »
    There's a hell of a lot of things going for us this season, look at the fixture list up to the City game:

Fixtures.png

Arsenal has as tough a run of fixtures as you can get and could still be in the Cup come April, Chelsea tough enough and if they progress in the CL could have a CL S/F before they play us in April, City have a tough enough March and will probably have a Cup S/F, our game could possibly be postponed, Spurs have to play Benfica twice in a week and could have an EC Q/F after they play us.

If we could get 10-12 points in the 5 games before City, that becomes a very juicy game indeed!

It's very unlikely we'll finish in the top 2, we've the hardest run in, Arsenal and Spurs in particular have a softer run in when they get these tough games over them, but Cups and European games could go in our favour too.

Unless Wigan pull off a big shock next week the man city game will be moved as that is also cup semi final weekend

I hope Wigan do pull off that shock as that man city game would also be the anniversary game of Hillsborough and ground would be well up for it

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    You're a hard man to please

:confused:

I'm extremely pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I cant believe i caught myself daydreaming about how im gonna react when we win the league :D it involved me going from pub to pub for 2 wks solid and heading over to liverpool for the parade ahh it seemed so real, im still smileing about the thought of it:D

This totally is me

I was even going to look at flight prices over for the home coming and I thought hang on a second!!!!

wait till the utd game at least :D:D

I expect Chelsea to be 10 points ahead of us the next time we play so for me I'm not even thinking about the title.

Plus our next game is Utd away.

Bit of perspective I guess

How come we have no game till the 16th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

shamrock55 wrote: »
    How come we have no game till the 16th

sunderland was penciled in for the 10th, now the 26th due to their fixture pile up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I expect Chelsea to be 10 points ahead of us the next time we play so for me I'm not even thinking about the title.

It's our toughest Away game left, and come on, we all know even United fans, that on our day they are there for the taking, we'll never have a better chance in a good while. Our Away form is nearly the same as their home form. I'd be disappointed if we don't get a point, then Cardiff, West Ham, Norwich and Palace Away.

An interesting read, piece by Andrew Beasley giving some more information on who is involved in the build up to goals beyond assists.
    Goal Involvement 2013/14 | The Tomkins Times | Goal Involvement 2013-14

Funny how Lucas tends to be heavily involved with second assists, doubt too many noticed that before he was out.

The other 2 things that stand out is how poor Johnson is compared to 2010/11 and Suarez is involved in 2/3rd's of our goals.
    In 2008/09 a peak level Gerrard was involved in something like 45/99 goals so that gives you an idea of how good he is.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I didn't get pizza today and feel a bit of a fake for not doing so but my doctor advised me against doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

The fact that Steven Gerrard singled out Rodgers today really pleased me.

Something along the lines of "the gaffer has given us credit, but fair play to him, he changed it today and it won us the game"

This proves without a doubt that the players are bought into Rodgers. He probably promised them results if they followed him, and credit to the players, they trusted the gaffer, and now we reap the rewards. You can see Carragher and Redknapp wishing they played in this team.

No matter what happens this season, we have a manager who I know will carry us to great things in the future.

YNWA

:D
    sunderland was penciled in for the 10th, now the 26th due to their fixture pile up.

ah right you are;)

• Advertisement

kildare75 wrote: »
    it is almost impossible to stop yourself dreaming...you wait for 24 years... and suddenly out of the fecking blue a real chance comes along..i mean a real genuine not just a makie uppie chance, and the mind goes off on one...and you smile, and you cant stop smiling like a fecking Cheshire cat ( they must be good at smiling!) . You want to buy almost every paper on a Monday. And you skip straight to the sports pages...ie the Liverpool match report...even though you have read it online....and you read it more than once...and you smile...really smile...ah its fecking great to be a red :):)
    :D:D Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Like to have a peek in here occasionally, but wouldn't normally post.
    Think ye're being overly cautious about the Utd game. Can't see anything other than a handy Liverpool win at the moment.
    We're on the floor and can't see us getting up anytime soon.
    Re your chances of winning the league...couldn't see it at the minute, but think it would be a shame if Gerrard finished his career without a league title.
    You'll excuse me now, as I go wash my mouth out with caustic soap.

Think ye're being overly cautious about the Utd game. Can't see anything other than a handy Liverpool win at the moment.
    We're on the floor and can't see us getting up anytime soon.
    Re your chances of winning the league...couldn't see it at the minute, but think it would be a shame if Gerrard finished his career without a league title.
    You'll excuse me now, as I go wash my mouth out with caustic soap.

I remember my thoughts on the build up to the game at Anfield and I was thinking this will be great playing utd early in the campaign, hopefully Moyes will take time to get his style across. Liverpool were under a lot of pressure that day after we went 1 up and probably a we bit lucky to get all three points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I remember my thoughts on the build up to the game at Anfield and I was thinking this will be great playing utd early in the campaign, hopefully Moyes will take time to get his style across. Liverpool were under a lot of pressure that day after we went 1 up and probably a we bit lucky to get all three points.

Lots happened since then.
    Liverpool are playing some lovely football, are full of confidence and are a cohesive, balanced, tight unit. And Utd, well, arn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

No way will it be handy. I imagine United will be under major pressure to produce a good performance but potentially ruining any Liverpool title challenge would be an added bonus. Sure I felt the same way during much of the 90's and 00's. We can't win it but we can bugger up any chance the opposition had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

rarnes1 wrote: »

Negative waves man

I expect Liverpool to win the game and go top:).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

There's a difference between being delighted with his appointment and giving him a chance.

I was certainly weary but I was also certainly willing to give him a chance in terms of us building something rather than the silicon nonsense of the likes of Man City and Chelsea.

But I still refuse to believe anyone was genuinely delighted at his appointment.

4br.gif

Lots happened since then.
    Liverpool are playing some lovely football, are full of confidence and are a cohesive, balanced, tight unit. And Utd, well, arn't.

Two wins for Liverpool at Old Trafford in the last 10 years, I'd like to have your confidence in an away win. You mention a tight unit, thats something now that I wouldn't quite describe our team with, our defence is so shaky at the moment that in yesterdays match at 2 up with ten minutes to play, I still watched the match through my fingers at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

The fact that Steven Gerrard singled out Rodgers today really pleased me.

Something along the lines of "the gaffer has given us credit, but fair play to him, he changed it today and it won us the game"

This proves without a doubt that the players are bought into Rodgers. He probably promised them results if they followed him, and credit to the players, they trusted the gaffer, and now we reap the rewards. You can see Carragher and Redknapp wishing they played in this team.

No matter what happens this season, we have a manager who I know will carry us to great things in the future.

YNWA

It didn't go like that at all. It was a leading question by the interviewer about Rodgers tactics in the game - i.e., long ball counter-attacking. Gerrard made a point of the defeat to Soton earlier in the season and was kind of obliged to say that Rodgers, like all top managers, learned from that and adapted. It wasn't the gushing praise you make out.

It's a small point but, while I'm a big fan of Rodgers, let's not forget he's a young manager and still has lots to learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I'm curious.

Blood.

The hunt is on.

To me that makes perfect sense. I'm 38 years of age and im fortunate that half my family come from Liverpool, so I grew up in the Anfield tradition...winning ...I still go over to games as often as I can,
    I can remember going to Wembley with me granddad to see Ronnie Whelan score that goal against united...and you kinda took winning things for granted...( I know I was young), but when the league titles stopped, and the hope kinda turned to blind optimism, that every season we would click and get back on top...and I suppose its the hope that kills you in the end... sure we had the odd great one off occasions, 05 obviously, and a few more one offs, that brings back the joy of being a red,

but I have to say this season, that hope, has turned into real belief. don't believe that Brendan is Shanks... or even close.....he is himself... he is a young manager who has proved himself to be very shrewd...tactically aware, willing to learn and above all....someone for me to really believe in..... someone who can and maybe will take us back to where we once used to dwell..... and that's champions.... champions of the league we once took almost for granted,
    and to do that with the squad he has, will in my humble opinion, rank up there with the greatest achievements this proud club had ever had..
    sorry if I gone on a wee bit, and I know its my first post in here, but I just want to say a simple thank you.... thank you Brendan Rodgers for allowing this red to dream....to really dream the dream of dreams.... cheers for reading....sean

Goosebumps reading this.

Lets fcuking believe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Ardent wrote: »
    It didn't go like that at all. It was a leading question by the interviewer about Rodgers tactics in the game - i.e., long ball counter-attacking. Gerrard made a point of the defeat to Soton earlier in the season and was kind of obliged to say that Rodgers, like all top managers, learned from that and adapted. It wasn't the gushing praise you make out.

It's a small point but, while I'm a big fan of Rodgers, let's not forget he's a young manager and still has lots to learn.

Watch it again. That question is brought up in the middle of the interview, Gerrard brings up Rodgers in the first question, which was, "Lots of teams come here and drop points, what does it say about Liverpool that you've come here and won?".

Gerrard then says credit to the manager.

:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement