Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mr Alan wrote: »
    You're a lunatic! :p

Maybe, but I'm a lunatic that fully believes we are in it, and that feels a hell of a lot better than the hope I felt in recent seasons.

We are third or fourth favourites to do it, but the reality is that we are in a postion from which we could do it.

Have been lucky enough to have been at a number of Liverpool games over the years when the league title was secured. Have been lucky enough to be at Anfield a number of times when the league trophy was presented. Have been lucky enough over the years to have been at many cup finals, domestic and European.

I cannot remember what it felt like the first time I realised the club I support was in a title race, but I do remember what it feels like to be genuinely chasing that trophy, and I sure as hell have that feeling now.

From here on in, it gets really simple. We only need to believe. At the ground we need to show the players we believe it is on. On web forums we need to show we believe that it is possible. We need to do that so when players look at a paper, look at a website, or simply listen to the crowd during a game they are having one message hammered home to them.

That we believe in them to carry our dreams.

That we belive in them to trade blows with the best.

That we believe in them to get up after punishment forces them to take a knee.

We are going to drop points between now and the end of the season. Of that I am sure. But I am also sure that the other three teams in this chase will drop points as well.

The head to heads are what will make or break us.

Arsenal, Chelsea, and City did their jobs at their own grounds. Those results were huge and we only had to look at the league table to see how important those three points were to those teams.

Then we had a crack at one of them at our place. Arsenal came to town knowing that any points at Anfield would make their home result a pivotal one.

What did we do? We went and wiped out the advantage of their home result, and now we sit above them.

City and Chelsea did what they had to at their grounds against us. We crack them at Anfield and we take away the advantage from the earlier games, and we may even damage their confidence at a crucial stage of the season.

I have genuine belief this season, Alan. It feels right, and more than that we are almost in a position now that if we don't get that massive monkey off our back in May, then we will likely end up in a position that most of us would have been delighted with if offered it last August.

We will have the summer to pick over however this season ends, but between now and then it is a season to enjoy. We have far more to gain than we have to lose, and it has been some time since our fanbase has been close to that feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

All the pessimists who wanted Chelsea to beat Everton should hang their heads in shame :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just think in the space of 2 weeks we have gone from wanting Chelsea winning next week to wanting spurs to win

Spurs win would do me.

Would thoroughly enjoy a top 4 of

Liverpool
    City
    Chelsea
    Spurs

out of the likely contenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Spurs win would do me.

Liverpool
    City
    Chelsea
    Spurs

Not Spurs.

Not having CL basically means they cant really for the same type of player as us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Didn't see the game, was locked up at a conference for the day/night.

Positives and negatives from a playing point of few please? Any injuries?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

DP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Spurs win would do me.

Liverpool
    City
    Chelsea
    Spurs

Why oh why would you want spurs in the mix. Without champions league football they will be be pushed back.

Arsenal will still be able to attract players, have a world class manager and by all reports have money to spend.

Spurs weakend is only a good thing. My fear is they are not a million miles away from us.

Where we are now is fantastic and the amount of times ive just looked at the league table since yesterday I cant even remember at this stage.

Problem is spurs are going to be 6 off us after beating Cardiff today. We could easily drop more points and next thing we know they are right back in the mix and we are sweating over fourth again.

To beat City, Chelsea and Spurs at home is going to be a huge ask. Add in United away and realistically we can only afford to drop 2 points out of those fixtures if we want the league.

Everton have a really handy run in too and they have lukakku back now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Kess73 wrote: »
    Not Grand Magus' The Hunt ? :)

Had to Youtubed that one.

No offense, Kess. But Metallica's Of Wolf and Man is Superior. But then again, few Metal Songs are as Good as Metallica, circa Black Album. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Vanolder wrote: »

First half - goal scored from unintended asist by Soton player under pressure, thereafter home side took control of the ball, Hendo/Coutinho offered nothing in terms of pressing or control of ball the latters passing was off all game. The CBs did quite well given the pressure they were under with the home side passing and moving impresively in the Liverpool defensive third.

Second half started in the same way before Sterling was brought on for Coutinho on 57th min and he scored with his first touch (Suarez assist from Gerrard through ball), after which Liverpool gradually took control of the game with Soton tiring after that running about. Liverpool had a few good chances to score, Sturridge a bit off his own game yesterday by recent standards. Third goal came from backpeddling defender sticking out a leg for Luis to fall over. Gerrard converted peno into the top corner.

No injuries but Suarez took a whack which he "ran off".

Johnson was less than stellar on the left, Flanno a bit exposed in the first half - could have given a (very soft) peno with a barge on Lallana I think it was. Mignolet had solid game - one vital finger tip save in the first half.

Playing an extra body in the middle Allen for Sterling was correct, just a pity Hendo/Cout had poor days at the office. Sterling played quite central when he came on which was interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Going to enjoy a stress free next weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Vanolder wrote: »

We scored and got lucky with the goal in the first half but Suarez dispatched it brilliantly.

After that, it was all Southampton in the first half. We had our backs to the wall and defended really well but we couldn't string a pass together in the midfield. Southampton hit the post so we got more luck there.

Second half Rodgers made a change that swung the game imo. Brought on sterling and we went from strength to strength after that.

Positives:
    Defended really well.
    Suarez was fantastic and got back on the scoresheet.
    Rodgers tactically was brilliant. Sterling change was perfect.
    Second half we stepped out of first gear and took control of the game.
    Every player in the second half upped their game.
    Back four and mignolet couldn't be faulted all game.

Negatives:
    Couldnt hold onto the ball in the first half.
    Southampton were the better side first half.
    Coutinho was poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Had to Youtubed that one.

No offense, Kess. But Metallica's Of Wolf and Man is Superior. But then again, few Metal Songs are as Good as Metallica, circa Black Album. :D

Go wash your mouth out.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Going to enjoy a stress free next weekend

I'm going to be stressing that we've no game on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Kess73 wrote: »
    Go wash your mouth out.

You know that's True, Kess. At least, the Metallica of the 80's-early 90's.

Only Maynard's Tool and APC are better for me. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Heavy metal now being discussed. :pac: What a thread!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

monkey9 wrote: »

It's everything you want it to be!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I've just recently got into Death Metal having never listened to it before in my life. I'm 41! My wife thinks I'm having a mid-life crisis and said she's gonna have a nervous breakdown if I keep playing it in the house :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Best thread on boards ! Anything and everything gets discussed here .

I've just recently got into Death Metal having never listened to it before in my life. I'm 41! My wife thinks I'm having a mid-life crisis and said she's gonna have a nervous breakdown if I keep playing it in the house :D

Married, 41 and listening to Death Metal for the first time?? That's definitely a mid life crisis, but enjoy it!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

First time posting in here .... What do ye think the squad and in particular senior players are really targeting as the goal at this point,with us in this position?

Watching Stevie G being interviewed after the game I can see the desire and willingness in his eyes to push for this title ,can he inspire the likes of Henderson and Flannagan to keep the heads and really give this a go?

The difference for me this season is the character displayed and a resolve to not be " that" Liverpool team who rollover against lesser teams and drop stupid points .

What a fantastic position to be in to be chasing City+ Chelsea at this point in the season, I think the hunger of our senior players will be the critical part of this run in..... Anyone that saw Stevie's face can see it's there .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

barney 20v wrote: »
    First time posting in here .... What do ye think the squad and in particular senior players are really targeting as the goal at this point,with us in this position?

Watching Stevie G being interviewed after the game I can see the desire and willingness in his eyes to push for this title ,can he inspire the likes of Henderson and Flannagan to keep the heads and really give this a go?

The difference for me this season is the character displayed and a resolve to not be " that" Liverpool team who rollover against lesser teams and drop stupid points .

What a fantastic position to be in to be chasing City+ Chelsea at this point in the season, I think the hunger of our senior players will be the critical part of this run in..... Anyone that saw Stevie's face can see it's there .

Stevie realistically has two chances left to win the league. This season is one of them. I'd say he can't quite believe it and will be desperate now. I'd say he can smell it.

@barney 20 v . The team are aiming to win the league . Whatever Rodgers says to the press about top 4 being the objective to the press , he is telling the team they are going for the league .
    This run in has a lot of similarities to rafas 08 / 09 season . You could see it in the faces of the senior players the way they celebrate when they win or score a goal .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Borini starting. Imagine it would be great for his confidence to score in a cup final.

Liverpool are not only the top scoring team in the premier league . They are also scoring more goals then the top 5 goal scoring teams of Europes biggest leagues .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

@barney 20 v . The team are aiming to win the league . Whatever Rodgers says to the press about top 4 being the objective to the press , he is telling the team they are going for the league .
    This run in has a lot of similarities to rafas 08 / 09 season . You could see it in the faces of the senior players the way they celebrate when they win or score a goal .

I had noticed that a lot more recently .. Suarez getting them back to restart no time for celebrating ...I suppose we can only really be targeting 1st from here in.
    I wonder are city and Chelsea worried about us as a realistic threat?

I also believe that the younger players have shown they have the bottle for this no matter who's up next, so that gives me confidence more than anything

I had noticed that a lot more recently .. Suarez getting them back to restart no time for celebrating ...I suppose we can only really be targeting 1st from here in.
    I wonder are city and Chelsea worried about us as a realistic threat?

I also believe that the younger players have shown they have the bottle for this no matter who's up next, so that gives me confidence more than anything

Oh Liverpool are a threat and the rest of the league knows it . When the chips where down . Liverpool sent a message to the rest of the league . Everton and arsenal spring to mind .
    I could even go back as far as Christmas when mourinho was jumping around like he won the league .
    Oh I think 1st is the target for LFC now . No point looking behind . I meant some of the celebrations over the past few weeks especially Stevie after Fulham that's a man that truly believes he has a shot at winning the league .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Welcome to the lunatic asylum.

Now RUN, RUN away as fast as you can while you still can.:D

I think the team will take each game as it comes. As someone pointed out earlier, we can win every game left as still finish third so all we can do is mind our own form and hope the rest fup up along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Woke up this morning with a cracking hangover, so I figured, feck it, stick on some Emperor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Just back from the utd thread. They are very easy to wind up these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Borini!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Get in there Fabio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Great finish Borini

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Borini on a stormer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Would love it for Borini to get a winners medal today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

No way Borini won't have a part to play for us next season. Great finish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Excellent strength pace and finish there by borini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

klose wrote: »
    Excellent strength pace and finish there by borini

Said it in the match thread. It was all very Suarez like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

No way Borini won't have a part to play for us next season. Great finish!

Wasn't a fan of his last season but been impressed everytime I've seen him for Sunderland - will make a great option to come off the bench next season, quite looking forward to getting him back with his confidence restored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Beautiful finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Tbf he always looked like he had something about him last season....just unfortunate with injuries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

kfallon wrote: »
    Wasn't a fan of his last season but been impressed everytime I've seen him for Sunderland - will make a great option to come off the bench next season, quite looking forward to getting him back with his confidence restored

I'm wondering if he's the kind of guy that would prefer to sit on the bench for us, or start every game under a promising manager in Poyet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

I'm wondering if he's the kind of guy that would prefer to sit on the bench for us, or start every game under a promising manager in Poyet?

He'll get plenty of game time in a quadruple chasing side ;)

GBX wrote: »

You stamp on Dirk, you stamp on all of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Delighted for Fabio, not easy to mug someone like Kompany. I'll be excited to see how he does next season, I'm sure Rodgers won't sell him.

Lads, Borini isn't good enough. Let's not get carried away. Himself and Aspas will soon be gone and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Lads, Borini isn't good enough. Let's not carried away. Himself and Aspas will soon be gone and rightly so.

i beg to differ over borini. we will be competing in europe next season and our squads thin enough as it is. borini loan spell at sunderland has been very impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Lads, Borini isn't good enough. Let's not get carried away. Himself and Aspas will soon be gone and rightly so.

Two years ago Sturridge didn't look the best, Borini is 22 loads of time on his side.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement