Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

ricero wrote: »
    i beg to differ over borini. we will be competing in europe next season and our squads thin enough as it is. borini loan spell at sunderland has been very impressive

Competing in Europe? We might show up and that's about it if Borini is playing up front for Liverpool.

He's found his level at Sunderland and that's all that's happened. It's not like he's been particularly outstanding for them either. He's done well there and all credit to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

ricero wrote: »
    i beg to differ over borini. we will be competing in europe next season and our squads thin enough as it is. borini loan spell at sunderland has been very impressive

I agree. But you may have messi and Ronaldo wanting to transfer to us next season, to play with the best strike force in Europe!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Its hard to access a player who didnt do much when he had a chance at Liverpool. But has done well at Sunderland
    Is it a case of found his level or could he make it at the higher level ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

monkey9 wrote: »
    Lads, Borini isn't good enough. Let's not get carried away. Himself and Aspas will soon be gone and rightly so.

He's certainly good enough to be a part of squad. Whether he would be happy to be on the bench most weeks is another thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Regardless whether he's good enough or not.

Borini should be brought back and kept on unless we sign extensively this summer.

Good option from the current poor bench we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Its hard to access a player who didnt do much when he had a chance at Liverpool. But has done well at Sunderland
    Is it a case of found his level or could he make it at the higher level ?

He needs a run if games by the looks of it, preferably through the middle. If we are in europe id certainly keep him of hes happy to be a squad player. We will need lots of rotation last year and he would be a good option to have imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Competing in Europe? We might show up and that's about it if Borini is playing up front for Liverpool.

He's found his level at Sunderland and that's all that's happened. It's not like he's been particularly outstanding for them either. He's done well there and all credit to him.

I really don't agree, I think Borini has taken this loan by the balls and shown what he can do. He's displayed an attitude that has to be commended.

He embarassed arguably the league's best defender today. I'd be very happy with him as an option from the bench next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Finical wrote: »
    Regardless whether he's good enough or not.

Borini should be brought back and kept on unless we sign extensively this summer.

Good option from the current poor bench we have.

At least until January.

If we're not using him by then then it would be pretty clear what the story is.

I really don't agree, I think Borini has taken this loan by the balls and shown what he can do. He's displayed an attitude that has to be commended.

He embarassed arguably the league's best defender today. I'd be very happy with him as an option from the bench next season.

I just don't see Borini or Aspas having any real future at the club or even being good enough. Borini especially is a very good player,but not Liverpool good.

If Sunderland had signed him from Roma, I wouldn't be looking at him thinking "I'd love him at Liverpool"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I think we can afford to buy players circa 20-25m but only if they are first team players. We cannot afford to have those types of players and their associated wages on the bench. Thats why we have players like Borini and Aspas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I just don't see Borini or Aspas having any real future at the club or even being good enough. Borini especially is a very good player,but not Liverpool good.

If Sunderland had signed him from Roma, I wouldn't be looking at him thinking "I'd love him at Liverpool"

Wow . The poor chap had a mare with injuries the first season he had in the premier league . You need a squad and Borini would offer something different so I hope he gets a chance to come back and show the player BR believes he is .

If City win today a Europa spot goes to 6th place doesn't it?

Would be nice to see Spurs and Utd in that next season providing we get top 4

I'd like to add as well, its going to be hard for any striker/forward to get in the team with Sturridge and Suarez ahead of them.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If City win today a Europa spot goes to 6th place doesn't it?

Would be nice to see Spurs and Utd in that next season providing we get top 4

Oh that's nice and evil of you rarnes :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

If we get CL Borini will be back.

only way I can see him staying is if Sunderland spunk a whole transfer windows budget to keep him.

• Advertisement

Wow . The poor chap had a mare with injuries the first season he had in the premier league . You need a squad and Borini would offer something different so I hope he gets a chance to come back and show the player BR believes he is .

Ah listen, if gets a chance and proves himself, happy days. But do you when you see someone play and you just know, it's not going to work out.

Borini could make a decent Premier League player, but what I want from Liverpool is more than Borini can offer.

brevity wrote: »
    Oh that's nice and evil of you rarnes :pac:

Win win today :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Gbear wrote: »
    At least until January.

If we're not using him by then then it would be pretty clear what the story is.

Only thing is his value will be a nice bit lower if he spends a half season on the bench.

I'd say even his loan spell has added €3-4m to his value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

djPSB wrote: »
    Only thing is his value will be a nice bit lower if he spends a half season on the bench.

How much did he cost liverpool?

How much did he cost liverpool?

It was somewhere around the 12 million mark or a little less .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Some goal by Kolo's brother. Brolo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We paid €13 million for him there is now way any team would pay €16/17 million for him even if he scores a ht-trick today.

If he leaves we will lose money on him or just about break even..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Milkers wrote: »

Reminded me of Gerrard v Marseille a good few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Those 2 City goals..... wow!

Knex. wrote: »
    Reminded me of Gerrard v Marseille a good few years back.

Or Henderson last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Borini could make a decent Premier League player, but what I want from Liverpool is more than Borini can offer.

All fans would love to have a striker of Suarez or even Sturridges quality on the bench but there are very few teams that can afford that type of back-up players.
    Who would you like to sign that would sit on the bench for most of the year and are a better player than Borini or Aspas.

mav79 wrote: »
    All fans would love to have a striker of Suarez or even Sturridges quality on the bench but there are very few teams that can afford that type of back-up players.
    Who would you like to sign that would sit on the bench for most of the year and are a better player than Borini or Aspas.

I don't know, I'm not scouting. But Borini isn't good enough. A goal today and against Newcastle isn't going to convince me otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/liverpools-john-henry-admits-luis-suarez-had-a-40m-buyout-clause-gambled-on-arsenal-not-taking-lfc-to-court/
    An incredible set of quotes have been released by Liverpool owner John W Henry this weekend regarding the story of how Arsenal tried to trigger Luis Suarez’s buyout clause for £40m and one pound.

Liverpool’s owner made the comments at the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference on Saturday.

Talking about Arsenal’s bid for Luis Suarez in the summer of 2013, John Henry has now admitted that Arsenal DID meet the Uruyuagan’s buyout clause however Liverpool refused to let the player go regardless.

Rather than live up to the terms of the agreement in Suarez’s contract, the American owner decided he’d rather play hardball and force the Gunners to take Liverpool to court in the Suarez transfer saga.

John W Henry made the following eye-popping remarks:

Luis Suarez is the top scorer in the English Premier League, which is arguably the top soccer league in the world. He had a buyout clause of £40m. Arsenal, one of our prime rivals – this year we’re tied for 2nd … we’re actually 2nd because of goal difference.

They offered £40m+£1. What we’ve found … is that contracts don’t seem to mean a lot in England – actually, in world football. It doesn’t matter how long a player’s contract is, he can decide he’s leaving.

We sold a player, Fernando Torres, for £50m, that we did not want to sell, we were forced to. Since apparently these contracts don’t seem to hold, we took the position that we’re just not selling.

It’s been great for Luis, it’s been great for us, and what will happen at the end of the year I think we’re going to make the Champions League, we have a small chance of winning the Premier League this year.

We have 3 gentlemen up front Suarez/Sterling/Sturridge, [they] are young, I think Luis and those 3 could be together for a long time.

If true, I am massively impressed.

We paid €13 million for him there is now way any team would pay €16/17 million for him even if he scores a ht-trick today.

If he leaves we will lose money on him or just about break even..

We paid €13m for him.

But after his first season with us, I would have thought his value would have dropped to €6/7m.

Probably get about €10m for him now after a good season at Sunderland.

If that's true, someone get the gif of The Rock applauding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We paid €13m for him.

But after his first season with us, I would have thought his value would have dropped to €6/7m.

Probably get about €10m for him now after a good season at Sunderland.

See I took that when you said he added €3/4 million to his value you ment on top of what we paid for him.

Yes I would say about €10 million euro is about right thats' £7/8 million

I don't know, I'm not scouting. But Borini isn't good enough. A goal today and against Newcastle isn't going to convince me otherwise.

I would keep Borini . It would stupid to let him go without giving him a season at LFC . He offers goals and a willing runner too . I would be happy to see him get a chance at LFC next season . Plus it means you could buy players for positions that badly need to be filled . Left back and midfield have weaknesses that need to be filled .

By the way, the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference??????

I'd say that was some craic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

yesno1234 wrote: »

I suppose you don't become a billionaire unless you have a big pair of cahones when it comes down to business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

If that's true, someone get the gif of The Rock applauding.

Some arsenal fans on twitter saying they should sue us, we should be deducted points etc etc.. Hillarious :D

Milkers wrote: »

Not as good as Kolo's against Fulham though.

klose wrote: »
    Some arsenal fans on twitter saying they should sue us, we should be deducted points etc etc.. Hillarious :D

Sue us!! :pac::pac: It's not even anything to do with Arsenal. The only person who could sue is Suarez!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

klose wrote: »

surely they shouldnt be allowed on twitter in school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

By the way, the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference??????

I'd say that was some craic!

Going by the volume of tweets he made, I suspect he sensibly spent most of the day ensconsed in a seat at the bar just outside the conference.

• Advertisement

It was always going to take Borini a year or so to adapt to the PL having come from Serie A.

The pace of Serie A is snail like compared to the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Borini has played 27 times for Sunderland (20 from the start) and managed 7 goals and 2 assists. While he's done well, he's also proving that he's not good enough for us at this point in time.

of course borini should come back next season. who else would we have as our striker on the bench?? adeboyour?? Bojan?? Costa???

people need to get real. Borini might score up to 10 goals a season for us as a backup striker. thats all we need him for. reasonable wages and a young age. unless we can convince someone like Pato or Benteke to come sit on our bench we should give borini a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Borini has played 27 times for Sunderland (20 from the start) and managed 7 goals and 2 assists. While he's done well, he's also proving that he's not good enough for us at this point in time.

If we are in the CL next season we will need numbers. He would be a squad player and a very able one, who is still young and will still improve.

I would keep Borini . It would stupid to let him go without giving him a season at LFC . He offers goals and a willing runner too . I would be happy to see him get a chance at LFC next season . Plus it means you could buy players for positions that badly need to be filled . Left back and midfield have weaknesses that need to be filled .

Borini's done absolutely nothing at Sunderland that makes me want him at Liverpool. Someone mentioned Sturridge earlier. Sturridge made more if an impact during his loan spell at Bolton than Borini has at Sunderland.

He's not Liverpool quality. He'll be shipped out sooner rather than later.

Borini's done absolutely nothing at Sunderland that makes me want him at Liverpool. Someone mentioned Sturridge earlier. Sturridge made more if an impact during his loan spell at Bolton than Borini has at Sunderland.

He's not Liverpool quality. He'll be shipped out sooner rather than later.

Who do you want then?

Do you want us to go out an spend 10m on a backup striker, when there are 5/6 other areas of the team in much more need of strengthening.

There is nobody we could buy that could displace Sturridge or Suarez. We are talking about a bench option/league cup starter here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Who do you want then?

Do you want us to go out an spend 10m on a backup striker, when there are 5/6 other areas of the team in much more need of strengthening.

There is nobody we could buy that could displace Sturridge or Suarez. We are talking about a bench option/league cup starter here

If Borini is the bench option for a long campaign on four fronts we'll have a long and difficult season. Ditto Aspas, Assaidi, Alberto, etc. Doesn't matter for the moment, let's focus on the next 10 games. But we've wasted a lot of money on average players the past few windows - the bad end of the current transfer policy.

If we are in the CL next season we will need numbers. He would be a squad player and a very able one, who is still young and will still improve.

im sure he would be a valuable player to us

he would play carling cup/ fa cup and the "weak team" in the champions league (albeit we will probably be the weak team next season)

at least if he can give suarez or sturridge a rest every so often it wil be worth it. just play suarez and borini or sturridge and borini every so often against teams we would expect to beat. then have the replaced striker on the bench in case we need them. the fact that we play with 2 strikers makes it easier to have a striker who may not be a 15+ goals a season as backup striker

people want him out but seriously who do ye want instead of him?? i dont see suggestions

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If Borini is the bench option for a long campaign on four fronts we'll have a long and difficult season. Ditto Aspas, Assaidi, Alberto, etc. Doesn't matter for the moment, let's focus on the next 10 games. But we've wasted a lot of money on average players the past few windows - the bad end of the current transfer policy.

Alberto is a young player, not really fair to call him average. Hasn't had a chance yet, and young players develop at different ages. Ramsey was called average by many as little as a year ago

Henderson and Lucas are great examples of why Borini shouldn't be written off as not good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

We're not City. We can't have a Dzeko on the bench.

Borini will be a good option to bolster the squad. No point wasting our limited resources on a striker.

Knex. wrote: »
    We're not City. We can't have a Dzeko on the bench.

Borini will be a good option to bolster the squad. No point wasting our limited resources on a striker.

Exactly the midfield and left back spot needs attention .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement