Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Exactly. He's not playing like a player that isn't happy with the current situation is he now?

No, but he was very quick to put it behind him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

I dont see what all the worry is about. Hes saying Arsenal tried to get Suarez and Liverpool said no, and stood firm. It worked. Suarz would have had to take Liverpool to court. Instead he came back and is playing his best ever football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Can Arsenal take legal action?

I'm no expert but I think Arsenal couldn't sue as in law the seller can always change his mind. Like if someone puts an advertisement in Buy and Sell selling their Micra for €2K, you ring up and say you'll buy it, they can still refuse and you have no recourse.

I think the only one who could actually sue would have been Suarez.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I'm no expert but I think Arsenal couldn't sue as in law the seller can always change his mind. Like if someone puts an advertisement in Buy and Sell selling their Micra for €2K, you ring up and say you'll buy it, they can still refuse and you have no recourse.

But we didn't put him up for sale!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

ush wrote: »
    I reckon thats it.

Have said it all along but I will be very surprised if it wasn't agreed last season that he would give one more season and then get his move no matter what.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Part of me thinks it's sowing the seeds for his exit.

What draws you to that conclusion ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,662 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

And still you get fools on twitter saying he's sh1t and shouldn't be playing for us.

Have to say , when he first joined i thought he was shote , but henderson has been immense this season

The only way Wenger would sue is if one of the players is doing a law degree on the side. There is no way he's working out for legal fees.

I can see Wenger working on his own legal counselling. To save a few quid in legal fees

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Have said it all along but I will be very surprised if it wasn't agreed last season that he would give one more season and then get his move no matter what.

Why the new contract then.. Where does that fit the narrative?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

He is not playing like a man who knows he is leaving though.

spockety wrote: »
    Why the new contract then.. Where does that fit the narrative?

Keep him sweet with extra wages.
    Maximize what we get for him.

Edit: Admittedly he has been saying the right things to the media but the last few years have taught me not to take players very seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

But we didn't put him up for sale!

Well having a 'buy-out clause' could be argued to be stamping a sale price on someone. Thats how this thread interprets it when we hear of some Italian or whatever having a buy-out clause.

But more to the point we never signed anything with Arsenal, so there would be no breach of contract or whatever. They'd have little chance. They'd have needed Suarez to be forcing the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I didn't get anything about the club selling Suarez from what was put up there. What I did get from it was a warning from John W that we won't take crap from our players wanting out or from clubs trying to buy our players.

Now what that does is when we go looking to buy players we well have to except the same reaction from selling clubs. But if that means keeping players like Suarez so be it.

What draws you to that conclusion ?

It's in the post above the quoted one. Seems very similar to the 'Ronnie' situation.

• Advertisement

The only way I can see Suarez leaving is if Madrid come in with an offer too big to turn down, say £100m region
    He not going to be joining Arsenal anyway, thats for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Exactly. He's not playing like a player that isn't happy with the current situation is he now?

We need to qualify for the champs league and we won't have to worry about him wanting out!

The man is a winner, and that attitude has to beinfectious to the rest of the squad!

Were second in the table, top scorers in Europe. Arsenal can go spin for all I care to be honest.

Even if Liverpool qualify for the CL, if Madrid come calling in the summer, I expect he'll try and go

The only way I can see Suarez leaving is if Madrid come in with an offer too big to turn down, say £100m region
    He not going to be joining Arsenal anyway, thats for sure

I doubt they would spend what it would take to get him. Think it would be too much of a sideways step for him anyway, if/when he goes it deserves to be to a team constantly challenging on all fronts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Henderson in the Sunderland crowd today:

BhvtWVHIYAAy2ex.jpg

Another good showing from Borini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Paully D wrote: »

How's he perceived by Sunderland fans? Is there bitterness that he left so early in his career, or were you's happy to get what you got for him and see him move on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Paully D wrote: »

BhvtWVHIYAAy2ex.jpg

Good to see him supporting his home town club from the terraces and not up in the boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

LiamoSail wrote: »
    How's he perceived by Sunderland fans? Is there bitterness that he left so early in his career, or were you's happy to get what you got for him and see him move on?

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/henderson.886923/

It seems the fans of Sunderland where delighted to see him there today .

No bitterness at all. Well, that's not strictly true. As you know you get the 1% of begrudging arseholes who hate to see anyone better themselves in life, but 99% of us were delighted he got his move.

It was clear when he started playing for us that he wouldn't be around for too long and being honest it was a very good fee to get for him at the time.

Credit to Brendan Rodgers (a manager who is proving me very wrong) for pushing his game on to the next level and I hope Henderson enjoys every success in his career, as do 99% of us fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I can see Wenger working on his own legal counselling. To save a few quid in legal fees

Or at least getting a young lawyer with a lot of potential on the cheap.

In the carling cup next season, would an outfield X of academy graduates be possible?

Mig
    R. McL. Wisdom Kelly. Flanno
    Gerrard. Coady
    Suso. Teixeira Sterling
    Ibe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

In the carling cup next season, would an outfield X of academy graduates be possible?

Mig
    Gerrard. Coady
    Suso. Teixeira Sterling
    Ibe

I don't think that young Gerrard fella will make it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Mig
    Gerrard. Coady
    Suso. Teixeira Sterling
    Ibe

Some of those shouldn't really be considered academy players imo.

Whats the thoughts on Borini. Bring him back in the squad in the summer or try sell him on at a good price ?

5starpool wrote: »
    Some of those shouldn't really be considered academy players imo.

Yea I appreciate quiet a few were bought, but that's part of the system these days. It's not about just bringing through local lads, it's about bringing in talent and developing them into first team players. The academy (I use the term to include the whole youth set up) can still take credit for the development of players like Suso, Tex, Sterling etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Whats the thoughts on Borini. Bring him back in the squad in the summer or try sell him on at a good price ?

Did you read any of the posts earlier? :pac:

• Advertisement

djPSB wrote: »
    I don't think that young Gerrard fella will make it.

Agreed. Should have sold him to Middlesborough when we had the chance

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

101021-048-Napoli-Liverpool.jpg

Kenny knocked it down and cleared it out.

Brendan built it back up.

past two years have been pretty impressive all considered.
    If we continue on the current course then the future looks bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Ah heyor, don't start that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Agueroooo wrote: »
    [...]

I'm cringing at that picture, but I'm curious to know who that buck second in from left in the bottom row is?

Edit: Konchesky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

aramush wrote: »
    I'm cringing at that picture, but I'm curious to know who that buck second in from left in the bottom row is?

Edit: Konchesky?

Yeah it's konchesky, one of our best fullbacks ever.
    Looks like Kelly and skrtle are the only 2 from that team still at the club. If you discount reina

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Brendan had a fair bit of clearing out to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/henderson.886923/

It seems the fans of Sunderland where delighted to see him there today .

Some of the comments are priceless

"Love owt like this me"
    "Looks like her out of Girl with the dragon tattoo"
    :pac:

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Borini has played 27 times for Sunderland (20 from the start) and managed 7 goals and 2 assists. While he's done well, he's also proving that he's not good enough for us at this point in time.

He has also been played out wide for the vast majority of those games too and I think he's better centrally. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that him playing centrally from now until the end of the season could be the difference between us staying up for not. Fletcher and Altidore don't give the opposition defenders enough to do as they are too slow and static. Borini is constantly playing on their shoulder ensuring they can't play such a high line without being caught out. That has been a big reason why we look so comfortable on the ball then can't do anything with it when we get into the final third, but Borini playing centrally gives us options.

I agree with you though. He's not good enough to start week in, week out in a title challenging team that contains Suarez and Sturridge as things stand, but as you will be playing in Europe next season you will need a big squad. Borini is certainly an asset in any squad and has said time and time again to our local press that he wants to give it a proper shot at making it with Liverpool.

If we stay up, and I still thinks it's a big if, I would love to have him back but the only way I could see it happening is if we get to January 2015 and he hasn't really featured. Another loan move might materialise for six months then.

However, the two most likely scenarios IMO with Borini is that he goes back to Liverpool and features quite a lot in a squad that will have a lot of games or else he doesn't feature as much as he wants and ends up back in Italy for a fee approaching what Liverpool originally paid for him. I just couldn't see him settling for playing permanently at mid-table Premier League level at best with Sunderland in any case.

In an all too familiar feeling for me though it's another loan player who I will really miss and wish we could keep. Every year there's at least one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I hear Reina made another **** up to cost he's team a victory tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Only 2 out of that lot were truly comfortable on the ball, and one them is the keeper.. Jovanovic couldn't even hunker down properly for the photo!
    I had banished memories of this era and it makes me gasp now to see the lack of quality we had, no wonder Carra looks sheepish :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kenny knocked it down and cleared it out.  Brendan built it back up.  past two years have been pretty impressive all considered. If we continue on the current course then the future looks bright.

I'm not going to quote that picture again as its far too depressing, that the team beat Napoli 3-1 somehow seems impossible. Gerrard was on the bench.

edit that game in Napoli was a 0-0 draw which sounds much more like Hodgson!

I hear Reina made another **** up to cost he's team a victory tonight!

I see hes down as scoring an OG

Some pile of sh1te there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

I remember Jovan had a stormer against Arsenal..looked promising and then it just went to sh**e. As for Konchesky, he must be the only player wearing the red of Liverpool to be booed when coming on as a substitute at Anfield?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I see hes down as scoring an OG
    Napoli coach Rafael Benitez criticised his side's performance after they were held to a 1-1 draw at lowly Livorno on Sunday.

Benitez's side missed the chance to cut the gap to second-placed Roma to four points as Dries Mertens' 32nd-minute penalty was cancelled out by a bizarre own goal from keeper Pepe Reina.

Liverpool loanee Reina somehow allowed Ibrahima Mbaye's weak effort to squirm from his grasp and over the line seven minutes after Mertens' opener.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/benitez-slams-napoli-after-livorno-draw#5ykccBtQISSBWCdw.99

Happy to have Mig - sure he is far from perfect but he's broadly less prone to error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jovanovic honestly looks like some fan who's sneaked onto the pitch in kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

mike65 wrote: »
    Happy to have Mig - sure he is far from perfect but he's broadly less prone to error.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qY3Fmo4XKM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

aramush wrote: »
    I remember Jovan had a stormer against Arsenal..looked promising and then it just went to sh**e. As for Konchesky, he must be the only player wearing the red of Liverpool to be booed when coming on as a substitute at Anfield?

We were booing him when he signed his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I dont like the character trait in people where it seems they cant help themselves have a little dig at ex players (or even ones still on the books).

Reina served us well overall, got too comfortable because the club became over reliant on him... being him, and never got competition in, (even a sh1te Reina was better than our sub keeper).

Reina loved LFC (and remained loyal throughout the G&H and Hodgson era) and only wanted a move if it was Barcelona, (some sh1te club his old man used to play for, in the same position......in the country of his birth, at the club he grew up at). I'd do the exact same myself in that scenario.

Does my 'box' in reading stuff in here sometimes.

And just some breaking news, Mignolet has done ok, good shot stopper, but he aint all that tbh. Reina had twice as many clean sheets in his first season at this point.

And some give off a tone of bitterness about that letter he wrote.........i'd like to believe the club i follow were totally straightforward and did it the right way but the evidence so far on how we do things and the clubs we piss off in the process (like Fulham, a team used to being cherry picked for players and we had to go apologise in person for our bullsh1t).......etc

But i feel im losing you now.....

He is a top man for me, whose 'crime', with some, was losing a bit of form after 5 or 6 years of doing well for the club and the Barca stuff. God love you, you have a bit of life to live if thats enough to get under your skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Reina having more clean sheets in his first season is impressive, indeed he holds the club record for clean sheets AFAIK, brilliant up to 09/10. He was one of the top keepers in the world but he also had a higher quality back 4 in front of him, plus the likes of Alonso and Masch protecting it.

Comparing this team with those just based on stats is a bit harsh, it doesn't tell the whole story. I'd take Reina 05/06 over Mignolet now, but that wasn't the option Rodgers and the club had to decide over. They had to decide if replacing an out of form Reina for a couple of seasons was the right thing to do.

Also on the loyalty thing, totally understand why Reina wanted to go to Barca, who wouldn't. I also see why Rodgers felt it was time to move him on.

To back up Mignolet and Reina to an extent, it's noticeable since Hypia and Carra stopped being our regular pairing Reina dropped more clangers, Mignolet this season as well. I do think Mignolet is a quality keeper, his stats at Sunderland show that. His weakness (what player doesn't have one?) is probably not coming out from his line more, but in a way with the unsettled back 4 we have, it's probably better he doesn't. When we have a first choice back 4, then he can start developing that side of his game.

His distribution is much better than it was and I've no doubt he can improve dealing with crosses and corners.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement