Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

daithijjj wrote: »
    I dont like the character trait in people where it seems they cant help themselves have a little dig at ex players (or even ones still on the books).

A bit rich, coming from someone who had Digs against Rodgers, Allen, and Borini, don't you think?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Yea it seems that the more digs we have at Reina the more it proves we have chosen better with Mignolet- which is really weird to me.

Reina was a great player for Liverpool who is now playing for Napoli in a completely different league and team.

I wish him all the best and really hope he can become the best keeper in that league to help Napoli and a manager I am really fond of.

live and let live lads and lets just wish him all the best.

A bit rich, coming from someone who had Digs against Rodgers, Allen, and Borini, don't you think?

Difference!

Those players and manager are still playing for Liverpool and should always be up for scrutiny as long as they are with us, and quite frankly have not proven themselves yet as players to the extent as Reina has/had for us.

Rodgers on the other hand has exceeded but still doesn't get labelled as being untouchable.

I just dont get the 'ahh look another howler for Reina' crap.

I don't hear people come in hear and say 'jeez Reina kept Napoli in the game there' cause he has on a number of occasions.

Its just like some need to slate Reina to justify Mignolet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Borini is still with us in the same capacity Reina is though.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Borini is still with us in the same capacity Reina is though.

On paper yes but (imo) Reina wont ever play for us again.

Borini will.

but again Reina has giving this club more than Borini has, so maybe a little more thought from some before they are quick on the keyboard to tell the world how shíte Reina has done.

But don't get me wrong if Reina done what he did last night and was playing for Livepool I would be on here pretty irate, but he is not with us, and I just don't see the point, he is gone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Agueroooo wrote: »
    On paper yes but (imo) Reina wont ever play for us again.

Borini will.

but again Reina has giving this club more than Borini has, so maybe a little more thought from some before they are quick on the keyboard to tell the world how shíte Reina has done.

But don't get me wrong if Reina done what he did last night and was playing for Livepool I would be on here pretty irate, but he is not with us, and I just don't see the point, he is gone.

It's possibly because some people still believe that Pepe would be better for us than Mignolet. It's blatantly not true at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Tbh the idea of a peak Reina with his distribution, with this team...

... That'd be a sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

101021-048-Napoli-Liverpool.jpg

clint-eastwood-disgusted-gif.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Tbh the idea of a peak Reina with his distribution, with this team...

... That'd be a sight.

It would be a thing of beauty to see him catch a cross and launch it straight on to the boot of any of our attackers setting up an attack in 2-3 seconds. Unfortunately that time has passed and that distribution just don't make up for the glaring weaknesses in his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

djPSB wrote: »
    I don't think that young Gerrard fella will make it.

lol what a silly head. Gerrard is Steven Gerrrard he is the captain he made it along time ago:rolleyes:

im sure the sarcasm will be lost on some:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

See Henry has said there was a £40M buyout clause in Suarez' contract. Scary to think where we/Arsenal would have been if they got him.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    See Henry has said there was a £40M buyout clause in Suarez' contract. Scary to think where we/Arsenal would have been if they got him.

40 goals worse than them i tells ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

On the Suarez contract thing. I always thought the £40m clause existed, but all it said was that if the release clause was met, other clubs could speak to Suarez. If we were actually under any obligation to sell, then Suarez would almost certain have left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

If someone had said to me last August that we'd be ahead of Spurs, United,Arsenal and City in March I'd have been ringing the nearest mental institution to have them checked out.

Great stuff from Rodgers & Co. - his man-management and tactical flexibility deserve major kudos imho.

The hammerings of Arsenal, Everton etc. may have grabbed the headlines but for me the major change is winning regularly away at places like Stoke and Southampton.

The game on Saturday wasn't our most fluent by any means, but there was an impressive level of grittiness on show at the back and the front line (albeit misfiring a wee bit) always looked dangerous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

He plays ****, he gets criticised. No different to any other player. What he's done in the past is irrelevant to views on his recent performances.

I'm not taking away from anything he did for the club, but I'm not going to **** over him just because he Was good a few years back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I also dismay at the amount of stick Reina seems to be getting on here.

noodler wrote: »
    I also dismay at the amount of stick Reina seems to be getting on here.

Means fcuk all anyway what people say on message boards.

He'll always get an amazing reception from the Anfield crowd whenever he gets back. Great servant to the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

rarnes1 wrote: »

He'll always get an amazing reception from the Anfield crowd whenever he gets back. Great servant to the club.

He didnt cover himself in glory with the way he "left", but no1 can doubt his love for the club. Remember him running the pitch to celebrate with Dave N'gog. Magical stuff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Cartman78 wrote: »
    If someone had said to me last August that we'd be ahead of Spurs, United,Arsenal and City in March I'd have been ringing the nearest mental institution to have them checked out.

Great stuff from Rodgers & Co. - his man-management and tactical flexibility deserve major kudos imho.

The hammerings of Arsenal, Everton etc. may have grabbed the headlines but for me the major change is winning regularly away at places like Stoke and Southampton.

The game on Saturday wasn't our most fluent by any means, but there was an impressive level of grittiness on show at the back and the front line (albeit misfiring a wee bit) always looked dangerous

If, and it's a gargantuan if, we do the unbelievable come the end of the season, the Fulham away match will always stick out for me as the moment it became "on".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

spockety wrote: »
    If, and it's a gargantuan if, we do the unbelievable come the end of the season, the Fulham away match will always stick out for me as the moment it became "on".

If it happens...then not only Fulham but Swansea result too, that week could go down as the one where we actually believed. In the past when a team came back at us we'd fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

If it happens...then not only Fulham but Swansea result too, that week could go down as the one where we actually believed. In the past when a team came back at us we'd fall apart.

5-3 against Stoke away is the one for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

rarnes1 wrote: »

23000 posts in and you say that
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Great win for us a the weekend. Never expected a three nil win, was hoping we'd scrape it (which we seemed to be doing at half time!!). Fair play to Pochiettino though, totally changed the game for us by bringing on Gaston Ramirez for Cork. Not too sure why he did but it changed the match in our favour, we managed to wrestle back some control in midfield and eventually finished them off.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Great win for us a the weekend. Never expected a three nil win, was hoping we'd scrape it (which we seemed to be doing at half time!!). Fair play to Pochiettino though, totally changed the game for us by bringing on Gaston Ramirez for Cork. Not too sure why he did but it changed the match in our favour, we managed to wrestle back some control in midfield and eventually finished them off.

Ramirez was brought on to expose the same space that LLllllllllllanaanana was exposing. But that left more space behind in midfield which we jumped on.

Really enjoyed that game, fairly even, fairly tactical, fairly open at times from both sides. The difference was that we scored the goals, they didn't. That's mainly down to Mignolet and the post.

its not the spurs result or the everton game or even the arsenal thrashing

its the games like southampton at the weekend or fulham a couple weeks ago and even villa not too far back. those games we struggled. we played only ok. we didnt seem to be anywhere near our best, yet we pulled 3 points out of the bag.

in october i refused to say that our aim was anymore than 4th place this season. at christmas i refused to give into temptation. but this weekend for the first time this season that i have stated i think this is the year we can win the premier league. this year we will be champions. we waited for a very very very very long time and its going to be so sweet. not to brag about it. not to avenge the last 20 odd years of humiliation by mostly united fans. not to even dwell on it and sit back thinking we dont need to step up our game further next season. but this year when we do lift the big one, we will celebrate as champions of england. march through the streets of liverpool showing that we never doubted this club and together we will never walk alone. we are liverpool and finally we are back on our f*cking perch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Jinxed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Paulegend wrote: »
    its the games like southampton at the weekend or fulham a couple weeks ago and even villa not too far back. those games we struggled. we played only ok. we didnt seem to be anywhere near our best, yet we pulled 3 points out of the bag.

We only drew with Villa :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

in october i refused to say that our aim was anymore than 4th place this season. at christmas i refused to give into temptation. but this weekend for the first time this season that i have stated i think this is the year we can win the premier league. this year we will be champions. we waited for a very very very very long time and its going to be so sweet. not to brag about it. not to avenge the last 20 odd years of humiliation by mostly united fans. not to even dwell on it and sit back thinking we dont need to step up our game further next season. but this year when we do lift the big one, we will celebrate as champions of england. march through the streets of liverpool showing that we never doubted this club and together we will never walk alone. we are liverpool and finally we are back on our f*cking perch

Don't mean to be a downer but it's way too early to say we're going to win the league. We've some huge games to play and Chelsea/City are fantastic sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

kfallon wrote: »

What? Rodgers out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

By tge time we play utd we could be 10 points behind Chelsea
    Hopefully spurs can nick a point of them next weekend then they play villa which should be three points for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

If we nick 3rd this season it will be a fantastic achievement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Fair too much optimism in here lads. I blame Rodgers for giving you ****ers hope again.

Rodgers out!

Now back to net spend with ye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

To win the league, we'll probably need at least 10 points from Chelsea (H), City (H), Spurs (H) and Man United (A).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

13 days to the next game. :(

Think I will just lock the thread until then. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Kess73 wrote: »

This break is going to really feck up our momentum.

Considering its Utd at the end, I'm hoping that everyone will be up for it but it's definitely a concern imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Kess73 wrote: »

Think I will just lock the thread until then. :)

I'm game for that.

Open the match thread sure :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

At least Uruguay are playing in Austria, so its not too bad for Suarez air miles / veins!!

punk_one82 wrote: »
    Don't mean to be a downer but it's way too early to say we're going to win the league. We've some huge games to play and Chelsea/City are fantastic sides.

we do have big games. at anfield. we could have beaten and perhaps should have beaten both away

chelsea should have had etoo sent off. he wouldnt have been able to score. even then suarez should have had 2 penos with 1 being outrageously clear.

city should have been 2 down after sterling was miles on side.

we lost both games but goals change games and so do decisions. i said it here that if suarez wasnt pulled back by the ref instead of the cross to hendo being allowed against arsenal then we might have seen a different result. what happened at anfield??? ref decisions went our way. and i believe the same will happen with chelsea and city. im not moaning about refs calls. it usually goes the way of the home side and now we will be.

we will beat chelsea and city
    kfallon wrote: »

on another season that game would have ended in defeat. we struggled and grinded a result. that draw will help us to finish top
    ush wrote: »
    Jinxed it.

na fook that. we should be confident. if we cant be confident this season we will never be. things are going our own way and who would have thought we would be in spitting distance at this time of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

To win the league your looking at maybe 8/9 wins out of 10 games and probably going unbeaten, whilst also hoping Chelsea/ManCity/Arsenal drop points. Even though the league has been crazy i don't see it happening. I am enjoying being in the thick of it but the title is beyond us unless some unlikely things occur, (then again i never expected us to be where we are now). Top 4 would be an excellent achievement. Even being in the title race with 3/4 games to go would be phenomenal step up. Either way it will be an exciting few months to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Chelsea have an easier run in and a four point lead. Man City have games in hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

billy2012 wrote: »
    5-3 against Stoke away is the one for me.

That and Fulham, although they gave us a hand there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

we do have big games. at anfield. we could have beaten and perhaps should have beaten both away

Chelsea bossed us to be fair. Didn't deserve anything from the game. Probably deserved more from the City game, at least a point but certainly didn't deserve to beat both of them. Having them at Home will be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

chelsea should have had etoo sent off. he wouldnt have been able to score. even then suarez should have had 2 penos with 1 being outrageously clear.

city should have been 2 down after sterling was miles on side.

we lost both games but goals change games and so do decisions. i said it here that if suarez wasnt pulled back by the ref instead of the cross to hendo being allowed against arsenal then we might have seen a different result. what happened at anfield??? ref decisions went our way. and i believe the same will happen with chelsea and city. im not moaning about refs calls. it usually goes the way of the home side and now we will be.

we will beat chelsea and city

on another season that game would have ended in defeat. we struggled and grinded a result. that draw will help us to finish top

na fook that. we should be confident. if we cant be confident this season we will never be. things are going our own way and who would have thought we would be in spitting distance at this time of the year

I agree that those results could have been different, but to say we WILL beat City and Chelsea at home is madness. 4 points out of those 2 games would be a great haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Not to be a buzzkill but surely we will only be back on our perch when we are on 21 titles ?

*Edit* if you were talking purely in the context of our rivalry with united from where the "perch" quote sprang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool's PPG is now 2.11 which would be 80 points. Just a few weeks ago it was 1.96 or almost 75 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

101021-048-Napoli-Liverpool.jpg

Kenny knocked it down and cleared it out.

Brendan built it back up.

past two years have been pretty impressive all considered.
    If we continue on the current course then the future looks bright.

People underestimate how much clearing out Dalglish had to do over his three transfer windows (the third of which was left unused).

Konchesky
    Paulsen
    Jovanovic
    N'Gog
    Aqualaini
    El Zhar
    Kyrgiakos
    Babel
    Torres
    Insua
    Merieles

all left off the top of my head. Unfortunately most of his replacements didn't work out but he was faced with a lot of work to do when he took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I thought Hodgson got rid of Insua?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

brevity wrote: »
    I thought Hodgson got rid of Insua?

He was on the books until the summer of 2011 I believe...one we shouldn't have let get away for sure.

• Advertisement

To win the league, we'll probably need at least 10 points from Chelsea (H), City (H), Spurs (H) and Man United (A).

the key games will be

8th march
    chelsea v spurs

15th march
    villa v chelsea

16th march
    United v Liverpool
    Spurs v Arsenal

22nd march
    Chelsea v Arsenal
    city fulham
    cardiff v liverpool

25th march
    united v city

26th march
    liverpool v suderland

29th march
    arsenal v city

30th march
    liverpool v spurs

5th april
    city v southampton
    chelsea v stoke

6th april
    everton v arsenal

13th april
    liverpool v city
    swansea v chelsea

20th april
    chelsea v sunderland

27th april
    liverpool chelsea

28 april
    arsenal v newcastle

3rd may
    everton v city

11th may
    liverpool v newcastle
    cardiff v chelsea

of course every game is important as its 3 points also all the title contenders have the relegation battlers (half the bloody table) to play at some stage or another so they will be difficult games too. but these are the games where points could be lost and stages where someone could fall out of the race if everyone doesnt stay focused.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement