Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He was on the books until the summer of 2011 I believe...one we shouldn't have let get away for sure.

Oh definitely. A scapegoat if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

brevity wrote: »
    This break is going to really feck up our momentum.

Considering its Utd at the end, I'm hoping that everyone will be up for it but it's definitely a concern imo.

If they can't get themselves motivated for a game against Utd then they are wearing the wrong shirt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

People underestimate how much clearing out Dalglish had to do over his three transfer windows (the third of which was left unused).

Konchesky
    Paulsen
    Jovanovic
    N'Gog
    Aqualaini
    El Zhar
    Kyrgiakos
    Babel
    Torres
    Insua
    Merieles

all left off the top of my head. Unfortunately most of his replacements didn't work out but he was faced with a lot of work to do when he took over.

and then Rodgers had to do the same thing!

Carroll
    Downing
    Spearing
    Adam
    Cole
    Shelvey
    Pacheco
    Doni
    Kuyt
    Maxi
    Bellamy

It never quite ends does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

People underestimate how much clearing out Dalglish had to do over his three transfer windows (the third of which was left unused).

Konchesky
    Paulsen
    Jovanovic
    N'Gog
    Aqualaini
    El Zhar
    Kyrgiakos
    Babel
    Torres
    Insua
    Merieles

all left off the top of my head. Unfortunately most of his replacements didn't work out but he was faced with a lot of work to do when he took over.

As did BR.

Fabio Aurelio
    Dirk Kuyt
    Maxi Rodriguez
    Alberto Aquilani
    Craig Bellamy
    Charlie Adam
    Joe Cole
    Alexander Doni :(
    Andy Carroll
    Jonjo Shelvey
    Pepe Reina
    Jay Spearing
    Stewart Downing
    Dani Pacheco

Some amount of outs from both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Pacheco :)

2 goals in 18 starts this year, maybe he wasnt as good as we made out :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

NukaCola wrote: »
    Chelsea bossed us to be fair. Didn't deserve anything from the game. Probably deserved more from the City game, at least a point but certainly didn't deserve to beat both of them. Having them at Home will be interesting.
    punk_one82 wrote: »
    I agree that those results could have been different, but to say we WILL beat City and Chelsea at home is madness. 4 points out of those 2 games would be a great haul.

they did boss us. after we went 1 nil up within a a couple of minutes. but had they been a man down and a goal down would they have bossed us as easy?

chelsea are all midfield right now with no attack. they dont have a finisher in the squad and they will buckle. i think we can outscore them at anfield

we would have been 2 nil up against city away. again if that was the case it wouldnt have been as easy for them to get back in it. instead of chasing one goal they would have been trying to stop conceding a third

while i dont feel we deserved 6 points we certainly could have gotten them, let alone at least a couple of draws which by the way would make the league look a hell of a lot different

we can beat both of them at anfield. id be happy with 4 points but i think we can get 6

Not to be a buzzkill but surely we will only be back on our perch when we are on 21 titles ?

*Edit* if you were talking purely in the context of our rivalry with united from where the "perch" quote sprang.

as long as we get back to winning ways i will feel we are certainly back on the perch.

19 titles
    5 champions leagues

against
    20 titles
    3 champions leagues

we will be back on top. but if you want to 21 we just have to wait a couple years :D

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

The stability Kenny gave back to the club should not be underestimated.

a club on the verge of administration and going through one of the biggest corporate battles ever seen in sports management.

we needed a strong character at the time and even though Kenny came across a being bitter I never subscribed to that.
    he was standing up for the club and giving it back some balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Paulegend wrote: »
    they did boss us. after we went 1 nil up within a a couple of minutes. but had they been a man down and a goal down would they have bossed us as easy?

Its pointless to talk about what could/should have happened. At Anfield it will be different, but no easy task. Chelsea can be difficult to break down and are very good at going forward. We could come out of the ManCity and Chelsea games with 0 points very easily. Both are a level above us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Did anyone see that Gabriel Paletta was called up to the Italian squad to face Spain? He appears to be quite a late bloomer.
    And just to add a little twist, if you google his name there is a story running in the Express from a couple of weeks ago saying Spurs are lining up a bid!

SM01 wrote: »
    Did anyone see that Gabriel Paletta was called up to the Italian squad to face Spain? He appears to be quite a late bloomer.
    And just to add a little twist, if you google his name there is a story running in the Express from a couple of weeks ago saying Spurs are lining up a bid!

He really needs to shave his head :)

• Advertisement

LOAN WATCH

Suso - 15 mins as sub in 4-1 defeat (good news as Rodri is back so Suso should get a few more assists)
    Adorján - 64 mins in 1-0 defeat
    Ibe - 47 minutes in 1-0 defeat
    Wisdom - full game in 2-0 defeat
    Borini - full game and goal scored in 3-1 defeat
    Coady - full game in 1-0 win (The Blades are flying now)
    Ngoo - 10 mins in 1-0 defeat

Robinson - suspended
    Assaid - injured
    McLaughlin - not in sqaud
    Ilori - injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Its pointless to talk about what could/should have happened. At Anfield it will be different, but no easy task. Chelsea can be difficult to break down and are very good at going forward. We could come out of the ManCity and Chelsea games with 0 points very easily. Both are a level above us.

You know, genuinely all I care about it staying well clear of a race for 4th. he might win it on goal difference, or come 4th. I can't process the number of things that could happen between now and then!

mike65 wrote: »
    McLaughlin - not in squad

Isn't he still injured? His twitter suggested he was...

(That was a while back)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

chelsea are all midfield right now with no attack. they dont have a finisher in the squad and they will buckle. i think we can outscore them at anfield

we would have been 2 nil up against city away. again if that was the case it wouldnt have been as easy for them to get back in it. instead of chasing one goal they would have been trying to stop conceding a third

while i dont feel we deserved 6 points we certainly could have gotten them, let alone at least a couple of draws which by the way would make the league look a hell of a lot different

we can beat both of them at anfield. id be happy with 4 points but i think we can get 6

as long as we get back to winning ways i will feel we are certainly back on the perch.

19 titles
    5 champions leagues

against
    20 titles
    3 champions leagues

we will be back on top. but if you want to 21 we just have to wait a couple years :D

Not to be a pedant but it's 18 titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

brevity wrote: »
    This break is going to really feck up our momentum.

Considering its Utd at the end, I'm hoping that everyone will be up for it but it's definitely a concern imo.

If you can't get yourself up for a game at your bitter rivals when trying to win a league you don't deserve to win a league

Dickerty wrote: »
    Isn't he still injured? His twitter suggested he was...

He came back last week, clearly too soon and was subbed at HT (was terrible by all accounts) so I guess he is.

ush wrote: »
    Chelsea have an easier run in and a four point lead. Man City have games in hand.

chelsea have (10 games left)

spurs home
    villa away
    arsenal home
    palace away
    stoke home
    swansea away
    sunderland home
    liverpool away
    norwich home
    cardiff away

city have (11 games left)

wigan home
    hull away
    fulham home
    united away
    arsenal away
    southampton home
    liverpool away
    west brom home
    palace away
    everton away
    west ham home

arsenal have (10 games left)

spurs away
    chelsea away
    city home
    everton away
    west ham home
    hull away
    newcastle home
    west brom home
    norwich away

we have (10 games left)

united away
    cardiff away
    sunderland home
    spurs home
    west ham away
    city home
    norwich away
    chelsea home
    palace away
    newcastle home

home games
    chelsea 5
    city 5
    arsenal 4
    liverpool 5

against top 8 sides
    chelsea 3
    city 5
    arsenal 5
    liverpool 5

while it does look like chelsea have teh eaisest run in just look at their next 6 games. they could lose points in any one of those games. in fact bar their last 2 and sunderland at home they have all difficult games.

city have a game in hand but from the united game to the liverpool game they have 4 tough games. i expect them to beat southampton of course but it wont be a walkover. that with everton away in the penultimate game.

arsenal have the least amount of home games left in the top 4. only 4 games at home for them in their final 10. their next 4 games could easily be 4 losses. i think theyll pick up points in them but 3 tough away games and hosting city............ could be out of the race if they dont get a couple of draws.

liverpool. 2013/14 champions elect. our run in is tough of course. april sees both city and chelsea come to anfiled before the grand finale at anfield. winning the premier league at home will be glorious. as our next game could say a lot about our last stint, its only fitting that Mr Kevin Keegan has a quote borrowed from him " i would love it if we beat them". with our new found ability to win when we arent playing well and our eagerness to attack attack attack i BELIEVE it is our season.

if not i will cry for a very long time at the thought of Brendan giving us hope.

for what its worth if we finish in the top 4 we will have achieved what we wanted to. anything at all better than that and this team will be remembered as heros. if we win the fooking thing it will be greater than 2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

and then Rodgers had to do the same thing!

Carroll
    Downing
    Spearing
    Adam
    Cole
    Shelvey
    Pacheco
    Doni
    Kuyt
    Maxi
    Bellamy

It never quite ends does it?
    As did BR.

Fabio Aurelio
    Dirk Kuyt
    Maxi Rodriguez
    Alberto Aquilani
    Craig Bellamy
    Charlie Adam
    Joe Cole
    Alexander Doni :(
    Andy Carroll
    Jonjo Shelvey
    Pepe Reina
    Jay Spearing
    Stewart Downing
    Dani Pacheco

Some amount of outs from both.

To be crystal clear - I was not suggesting for one second that Rodgers had no less of a clearing out job. I just think that people sometimes forget how much dead wood Kenny was faced with when they negatively assess his transfer record.

Not to be a pedant but it's 18 titles.

the 19 is in reference to us winning it this year which would put us back on the perch:D

Dickerty wrote: »
    You know, genuinely all I care about it staying well clear of a race for 4th. he might win it on goal difference, or come 4th. I can't process the number of things that could happen between now and then!

at least we can agree that this is one hell of a season. i fooking love this team:D

• Advertisement

He came back last week, clearly too soon and was subbed at HT (was terrible by all accounts) so I guess he is.

Ah ok, I didn't know he's come back at all.

I love the Loan Watch posts. Great to see how they are getting on.
    By all accounts -

Great - Wisdom
    Good - Assaidi, Borini, Suso (all at a higher level than Andre), Coady
    Hot&Cold - Robinson, Adorjan
    The others are only out a short while.

I think we are learning a lot about all of these.
    Robinson should be with us next season and let his coaches try to train the bad decisions out of him. Otherwise, he goes the way of Otsemobor. I'd like Suso back for pre-season to see how he looks with better players and then make a call.
    Wisdom has really grown up, he's ready to mix it now.
    Assaidi and Borini have shown their are PL quality players, but maybe not at our level. I could live with Borini as a backup striker though, he's a good finisher and hard worker.
    Adorjan and Coady are likely to move on, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Yesterday.

9vPvIDO.jpg

To be crystal clear - I was not suggesting for one second that Rodgers had no less of a clearing out job. I just think that people sometimes forget how much dead wood Kenny was faced with when they negatively assess his transfer record.

to be fair we could say the same about rafa. he was stuck with some amount of rubbish. of course we wont mention what he purchased ..............:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There'll be some Monday come down when it all goes tits up.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Did the Anfield tour on Sunday morning and it's fair to say that nobody around Liverpool including all fans, staff, whoever are getting their hopes up about the league. It's not even mentioned which is the right thing to be doing.

Just on the tour, I didn't grow up in the Shankly era so I didn't know too much about him but so much of the current Anfield is based around the views of the man. He would hate to see the current day players with their 200 grand a week wages and their luxurious lifestyles. I thought the story about the dressing rooms was interesting.

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT
    The home dressing room is very basic with no lockers or comfortable seating and so on. Shankly stated that, if you need to lock your stuff away, it means you don't trust your teammates in the dressing room or on the pitch. Also he said that the players get pampered enough as it is so why do you need comfortable seating. This is your job, why do you need it so good? Also, the away dressing room has a big echo so everyone can hear the team talk and the mirrors have a strange reflection to them. It's all to do with intimidation. Obviously the home dressing room is soundproof!

The media room is absolutely tiny too. Found it a bit odd. It's where the old boot room was also.

K-9 wrote: »
    There'll be some Monday come down when it all goes tits up.

A meltdown is long overdue.

10 games to go and still 13points allowed slippage intact :)

98.8% chance of at least fourth even if we use up all our 13point buffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Top 5 players of the season to date folks?

Mine would be;

1. Suarez
    2. Sturridge
    3. Henderson
    4. Gerrard
    5. Sterling

Notable mentions to Mignolet and Skrtel who would have been making my list only for a few a few poor errors.

djPSB wrote: »

Mine would be;

1. Suarez
    2. Sturridge
    3. Henderson
    4. Gerrard
    5. Sterling

Notable mentions to Mignolet and Skrtel who would have been making my list only for a few a few poor errors.

all considered (and this is coming from a man that thought/wanted Gerrard to play a more bit part from this season on ) I think our captain has been fúcking immense.

a proper stalwart & strong presence in the team that is pushing some of those around him on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

wigan home
    hull away
    fulham home
    united away
    arsenal away
    southampton home
    liverpool away
    west brom home
    palace away
    everton away
    west ham home

City have 12 games left. They've Villa at home as well.

Flanagan would get very notable mention from me, can't think of much he did wrong and considering were he came from at the start of the season, a revelation.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    all considered (and this is coming from a man that thought/wanted Gerrard to play a more bit part from this season on ) I think our captain has been fúcking immense.

a proper stalwart & strong presence in the team that is pushing some of those around him on.

Agree he has been excellent.

I find it hard to say whether or not he is having a better season than Henderson?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Paulegend - Lay off the coffee fella. Your excited enough for all of us ;)

Just another thing on Gerrard.

He's 33 and he has lost a yard of pace which is only natural but he is in great condition for his age which is testament to his professionalism.

Still alot of football left in him.

Colemania wrote: »

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT
    The home dressing room is very basic with no lockers or comfortable seating and so on. Shankly stated that, if you need to lock your stuff away, it means you don't trust your teammates in the dressing room or on the pitch. Also he said that the players get pampered enough as it is so why do you need comfortable seating. This is your job, why do you need it so good? Also, the away dressing room has a big echo so everyone can hear the team talk and the mirrors have a strange reflection to them. It's all to do with intimidation. Obviously the home dressing room is soundproof!

The media room is absolutely tiny too. Found it a bit odd. It's where the old boot room was also.

Was hoping the spoilers had said you were on US pace and we won the league

Too much TV forum...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Can't agree enough about Stevie, earlier on in the season I thought he should be rested for the odd game. I thought at times he looked tired ( even lazy ) getting back.

But as the league has progressed and maybe he has started to dream of a winners medal, he's like a new man.

Hopefully it'll continue.

Although he can still take his sweet time we coming back from an attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Was hoping the spoilers had said you were on US pace and we won the league

Too much TV forum...

Ha ya I was thinking, hmm if I don't cover this in the spoiler thing, people who haven't been on the tour might have wanted to see it for themselves.

On the other hand, does anyone really care about me saying that? :p

Saw delofoeu in the the airport yesterday evening. Didn't actually notice him until a spanish guy stopped him for a pic! Looks about 17 and just like any young fella that age. Hype hasn't gone to his head JUST yet!

Paulegend - Lay off the coffee fella. Your excited enough for all of us ;)

i cant help it:D

djPSB wrote: »

Mine would be;

1. Suarez
    2. Sturridge
    3. Henderson
    4. Gerrard
    5. Sterling

I can't argue with that 5. I don't think any of the defenders can be in that list, none have been consistant enough. I might have Stevie ahead of Hendo though...

K-9 wrote: »
    Flanagan would get very notable mention from me, can't think of much he did wrong and considering were he came from at the start of the season, a revelation.

how wasnt he called up to any of the english sides??? not even u21's???

is he injured or is he considering switching to ireland after all

coleman and flanno as our full backs:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,673 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

wigan home
    hull away
    fulham home
    united away
    arsenal away
    southampton home
    liverpool away
    west brom home
    palace away
    everton away
    west ham home

I don't see us taking City and Chelsea at home and even if we do, they both have to drop points somwhere else along the line.

I'm massively happy with the season don't get me wrong, but I really don't see where the title talk is coming from. And that's before we discuss our glass defense.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I don't see us taking City and Chelsea at home and even if we do, they both have to drop points somwhere else along the line.

I'm massively happy with the season don't get me wrong, but I really don't see where the title talk is coming from. And that's before we discuss our glass defense.

if only they both had to play arsenal...................... thats right they do :D

city have united. while united may not be great they will certainly be up for that game (also against us). city could easily drop points. city have everton united, us and arsenal all away.

chelsea have arsenal at home but have us away and another tricky tie with spurs. games against villa stoke and swansea could be tough for them and cardiff away on the last day. cardiff fighting relegation will be tough (if they are still in the fight)

we dont need them to lose games. we just need them to drop 4 points more than us. i think we can catch city's goal difference and we will beat chelsea and arsenals. if we beat chelsea and city they will be potentially a point ahead of us. a silly draw against arsenal and we can go ahead.

its not like we need them to drop 10 points or something. its just 1 point if we beat them

City have to play United, Arsenal, us and Everton Away, they'll drop points.

Chelsea have Arsenal and Spurs at home, us away, they could get 9 points in those matches. It's theirs to lose no matter how Jose tries to spin it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Srijandeep Das ‏@LFC_360
    #LFC #monitoring Rodney Kongolo, 16-year-old midfielder from Feyenoord.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-news-rodney-kongolo-3196150

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Ahhh title talk, its been such a long time since we felt we were in the mix for it. Personally pre-season i wanted us to be possibly a few points back from where we are now, where Spurs/Everton are chasing down the top4 position and actually going into games and needing wins, to test this squad, to be a part of it. Where we are now is just fricken great. Once we keep up our form, lets finish the season on a high and see where it takes us!

On one hand its a little hopeful to catch Chelsea AND City with a 4 point gap, i mean this is a Mourinho team afterall. But something we should not shirk the responsibility totally to City, small things sometimes change games and we are playing well enough to beat most of the teams we have to play certainly to get a share of the points. In either case it is a great learning experience.

I have no doubt however that Gerard in particular is chomping at the bit big time for this push forward - this is a chance i'll bet he never seen coming so soon and the opportunity is great that we stick in there in case Chelsea/City slip up. And why shouldn't we? There is no team playing like us at the moment attacking wise and that goes for City too.

Game by game lets see where this season takes us. Its great to be chasing Arsenal for 3rd than Spurs for 4th! ... good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

it's defo chelsea's to lose, but liverpool have a decent chance. The games against city and chelsea will be compelling viewing for the neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

bad2dabone wrote: »
    it's defo chelsea's to lose, but liverpool have a decent chance. The games against city and chelsea will be compelling viewing for the neutral.

But you aren't a neutral. Sure you'll be hoping for a good result that will help Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

But you aren't a neutral. Sure you'll be hoping for a good result that will help Arsenal.

i'm too depressed to hope. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Game by game lets see where this season takes us. Its great to be chasing Arsenal for 3rd than Spurs for 4th! ... good times.

We are chasing and being chased.

We are the football equivalent of Pat Mustard. Everyone wants a piece as we are so gorgeous.

uk9ec.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Konchesky
    Paulsen
    Jovanovic
    N'Gog
    Aqualaini
    El Zhar
    Kyrgiakos
    Babel
    Torres
    Insua
    Merieles

In fairness Lloyd , Kenny had to come in at a difficult time . It wasn't just bad players at LFC . There was also a case of squad moral and unity was on the floor . The team looked shot and in pieces .
    At the time Kenny was the only man who could have taken the job because win loose or draw the fans where 100% behind him . It must have been horrible for the team playing for a manager who the fans just didn't want managing the team .
    I'm also of the opinion if any other LFC manager was in charge when Torres was leaving then I could safely say they wouldn't have been given a chance by the fans .
    I also think Kenny was the right man for the job because during his time as manager he did give the younger players a chance . A few of the younger players made their debuts under Kenny . Which was vital at the time because you could see there was talent at the academy but the players just didn't seem to get a chance at all .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement