Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Turtyturd wrote: »
    This is really selling the man short imo.

im really not trying to sell him short. im just trying to point out how the game has changed between 2001 and 2011

his second stint at liverpool has not papered over the things that he has given to this club. it will not make us forget that he attended most of the funerals. it wont make us forget that he would do absolutely anything for this club. ironically he got bad press from his last stint but if he was asked to come and take over again in the morning he would.

the man is a true great and a true gent. i dont like the phrase "out of his depth" but maybe just maybe he was involved enough on the coaching side of things to keep up to date with the running of a modern football club

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

noodler wrote: »
    Some things are taken as known, they have been discussed years ago. Just because I alluded to it doesn't mean it should require a full-scale explanation. Many things are mentioned in posts without requiring the rehashing of 3-year old arguments.

I think Kenny handled the racism/Suarez thing very poorly, the t-shirts, the interview after the handshake snub etc and that the image of the club suffered badly as a result. You clearly blame the club.

It has been a couple of years now - I am not going to chnage your mind and you are not going to change mine.

Back to my original (and reasonable conservative) point though, it does need to be recognised that Kenny had some off-the-field issues when analysing his reign imo.

I had a big long post typed out but decided against it. The highlighted sums it up for me tbh and you disagree. Fair enough.

I hope we can all agree that he epitomises everything that is great about the club.

tt5wa.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/xabi-alonso-says-right-quit-6770434
    Xabi Alonso has said he was right to leave Liverpool when he did.

The Spain international, 32, completed a drawn-out transfer from Anfield to Real Madrid in 2009.

He was a huge favourite with Reds fans and has gone on to become a vital cog in Real’s midfield.

"In 2009, I think I made the right decision," Alonso told France Football magazine. “After five years at Liverpool, I needed a change.

Sometimes I quietly sing 'We've Got the Best Midfield in the World' to myself through a steady stream of tears while swigging a bottle of rum in the corner of my bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Knex. wrote: »
    Worse than an international break... Almost.

It Is an international break :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

rob316 wrote: »
    How is it a lack of respect to say he was out of his depth?
    He was out of management for a long time before he came back, the game had moved on a lot.
    I have huge respect for the man and all he did in the past. Everything he does is for the good of the club.

There's a difference between criticism and lack of respect.

Because it's untrue. 6th, 8th, cup win, cup final in 18 months in charge is average / disappointing but far from the total disaster that "out of his depth" implies. Consider me rustled. :mad:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It Is an international break :p

Not quite. It's international week, but no break involved ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I really can't believe that LFC fans are slating Kenny . It has me scratching my head .
    The man took over a club in turmoil and got everyone that has any connection to the club signing from the same song sheet .
    When the man came back the effect was immediate players where willing to break themselves in two and put effort into playing for the manager . Roy lost the dressing room and anyone could see that .
    By bringing Kenny back the club made the best decision it has done since rafa was hired ( I'm excluding BR because I'm judging the previous managers before BR ) . The players had no where to hide and had to perform because they had a Liverpool legend leading them . I also think there was a lot of bad luck involved for Kenny too . I mean the team where creating lots but couldn't score .
    Kenny as manager was also a draw for players . Look at Bellamy he could have went to spurs but chose LFC because Kenny was manager . I don't think you can blame him for the transfers . Comilli was put in charge of that and was told to locate talent that would help the club . He was miserable at his job and scouted out a lot of bad players .

So in short Kenny is an LFC legend and put the blue prints in place for BR to build upon .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I love everything that Kenny stood, and still stands for, as probably the greatest servant this Club was fortunate enough to ever have.

He epitomizes everything great about Liverpool, and while I was not too sorry to see him move on the second time around, the man gave me great joy when he came in and tried to clean the Roy Hodgson debacle up.

His celebrations, his smile, his unbridled raw passion, heart on sleeve manner. His wry and cheeky grin, and his God damn coolness.
    Telling Wenger to piss off. Making Jack Robinson laugh on the sideline as he prepared to come on for the biggest game of his young life.
    Making the old timers, my ol' man inclusive, giddy like school kids, just seeing The King back in Anfield and in the hot seat once more. The memories stirred, and the stories told.
    The fact that this club brings him to tears, such his love for it, and the fact that it in turn almost brings other grown men to tears as a result of it.
    Two Cup Finals, something that seemed so far away a mere 18 months previously.

As a younger fan and somebody who was not around neither when Kenny played, nor when he first managed the Club, it was an absolute privilege to see him manage the Club once more. For all of the above, and much more.

I really can't believe that LFC fans are slating Kenny . It has me scratching my head .
    The man took over a club in turmoil and got everyone that has any connection to the club signing from the same song sheet .
    When the man came back the effect was immediate players where willing to break themselves in two and put effort into playing for the manager . Roy lost the dressing room and anyone could see that .
    By bringing Kenny back the club made the best decision it has done since rafa was hired ( I'm excluding BR because I'm judging the previous managers before BR ) . The players had no where to hide and had to perform because they had a Liverpool legend leading them . I also think there was a lot of bad luck involved for Kenny too . I mean the team where creating lots but couldn't score .
    Kenny as manager was also a draw for players . Look at Bellamy he could have went to spurs but chose LFC because Kenny was manager . I don't think you can blame him for the transfers . Comilli was put in charge of that and was told to locate talent that would help the club . He was miserable at his job and scouted out a lot of bad players .

So in short Kenny is an LFC legend and put the blue prints in place for BR to build upon .

nobody is slating him to be fair. but people are making it out that he didnt make mistakes. he made quiet a few on and off the field in his second time here. we got a walloping from the press because of some of his comments and his attitude to the press.

he will always be a legend but the fact is that his second stint was a failure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Walker has pulled out of the friendly tomorrow and johnson will start. Be interesting to see if he calls up a replacement, flanno?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Lads leave it out....its Kenny's birthday today so less of the revisionist hindsight nonsense and remember the good times we had with old big arose, which were many!

klose wrote: »
    Walker has pulled out of the friendly tomorrow and johnson will start. Be interesting to see if he calls up a replacement, flanno?

i still cant believe he wasnt called up for the seniors or the under 21's

does anyone know if O'Niell was in touch with him?? maybe he is considering it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Imaginary 'slating' usually has that effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Everything about the man has been said and better than I could say it but on top of everything I love the fact that he is such a hate figure for other teams fans. You don't get that without being something special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,547 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Paulegend wrote: »
    i think when he came........cut out for space ..

in kennys day (pre second stint)
    • subs where used just to put fresh legs on the field
    • players and management went for a pint after the game. even smoked on the side lines
    • tactics where variations of 442 with a strong striker/fast striker partnership
    • everyone trained the same way
    • the players where left to do the job on the pitch

in modern football
    • subs are now used as tactical decisions
      [*]players and management dont drink or smoke
    • tactics are all over the place. some mangers have such detailed tactics that we could be here all day and not get through one example
    • now there is a false 9, false 10, inside forward, outside center mid, trequartistas, half backs, defensive wingers etc
    • everyone is on special diets and special training routines
    • most players are told where to even step when they are on the pitch. some managers (rafa for example) liked to tell players what to do for the full 90 mins. he was like a conductor conducting his orchestra of players rather than the old approach of leaving the players to it.

Kenny coming back might not have been such a big deal to us fans (in terms of a negative) but Kenny was outdated as a manager

berbatov_smoking1.jpg

article-0-0F4CE21800000578-105_468x377.jpg
    article-2080592-0F4DA06800000578-392_468x384.jpg
    bilic-names-squad.jpgIMG]zidanesmoking.jpg?w=230&h=300
    slavenbilicsmoking.jpg?w=479

i still cant believe he wasnt called up for the seniors or the under 21's

does anyone know if O'Niell was in touch with him?? maybe he is considering it

It has been said many times here that he doesn't qualify to play for Ireland.

I think his family took the soup. They used to be O'Flanagans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It has been said many times her that he doesn't qualify to play for Ireland.

I think his family took the soup. They used to be O'Flanagans.

Flanagan for Ireland is going to be one of those Urban legends that never goes away....like people thinking Doni was a goalkeeper.

nobody is slating him to be fair. but people are making it out that he didnt make mistakes. he made quiet a few on and off the field in his second time here. we got a walloping from the press because of some of his comments and his attitude to the press.

he will always be a legend but the fact is that his second stint was a failure

Nobody slating him ? Your post sold the man completely short . Another poster claimed he was out of his depth .

There was no mistakes made by the man in my eyes . He supported Luis an he was right too . If I was LFC manager at the time I would have supported him . Also the way he spoke to the press was fair and if they asked him decent questions they got good answers . Men like Geoff shreeves and vinny o Connor are wind up merchants . You can tell that by the question he asked ivanovic after the barca and Chelsea game .
    The only mistake Kenny made was trusting that spoofer Comilli .

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    smoking images

I remember having a piss beside Ince in the Moat House back in the 90s and he was smoking. I think a few others players were also, maybe the most surprising was that fitness freak Ruddock having a B & H. I assumed he treated his body like a temple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Because it's untrue. 6th, 8th, cup win, cup final in 18 months in charge is average / disappointing but far from the total disaster that "out of his depth" implies. Consider me rustled. :mad:

Out of his depth and total disaster are not the same. You were the one in here all summer banging the drum about the high standards of the club and putting down anyone that showed positivity.

Do you find 6th,8th and a league cup acceptable for this club? I don't. Our league form was putrid, I still have the memories of loosing to Wigan at home, been hammered by Spurs away and QPR away after been 2 nil up.

If Rodgers put in those finishes wouldn't it be fair to call him out of his depth?

Don't let the great things Kenny did as a player/manager previously cloud your judgement.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Flanagan for Ireland is going to be one of those Urban legends that never goes away....like people thinking Doni was a goalkeeper.

I wish we signed him during the Evans era. He'd have been a perfect replacement for McAteer in the wing-back position.

Out of his depth and total disaster are not the same. You were the one in here all summer banging the drum about the high standards of the club and putting down anyone that showed positivity.

Do you find 6th,8th and a league cup acceptable for this club? I don't. Our league form was putrid, I still have the memories of loosing to Wigan at home, been hammered by Spurs away and QPR away after been 2 nil up.

If Rodgers put in those finishes wouldn't it be fair to call him out of his depth?

Don't let the great things Kenny did as a player/manager previously cloud your judgement.

BAD posting.

Kenny's performance was skirting the lines of acceptable / unacceptable. Our league form was poor the latter half of his first full season but our cup performances were excellent.

Last year our league form was poor (though improved) AND our cup performances were poor. Rodgers has had poor individual results this and last season too.

'Out of depth' implies a fundamental incompetence. Under Dalglish we reached two cup finals and traded towards 2ppg in the league for a calendar year (an arbitrary time marker but used to illustrate the point about an extended run of acceptable form). At the start of last year Rodgers was attempting to employ tactics patently unsuitable for the squad at his disposal. It seemed that his lack of experience was telling but he's turning it around.

Dalglish enjoyed individual perfomances that demonstrated a prepatory nous including two league victories in Stamford Bridge and defeating the league champions over two legs. You can keep typing 'out of his depth' but it will continue to not be true.

Nobody slating him ? Your post sold the man completely short . Another poster claimed he was out of his depth .

There was no mistakes made by the man in my eyes . He supported Luis an he was right too . If I was LFC manager at the time I would have supported him . Also the way he spoke to the press was fair and if they asked him decent questions they got good answers . Men like Geoff shreeves and vinny o Connor are wind up merchants . You can tell that by the question he asked ivanovic after the barca and Chelsea game .
    The only mistake Kenny made was trusting that spoofer Comilli .

will you cop on i was just putting it down in cold hard facts. if you disagree with my assessment then tell me where im wrong

everything i said was accurate.

if you dont think the game changed in the decade he was away then youve lost this debate already.

other manager have to put up with shreeves and they manage to hold it together. Kenny didnt.

i agree he was screwed with Damo though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Wasn't Kenny's Liverpool hitting the post/crossbar 30+ times in the full season he was in charge? Where would that have put the team if they had gone in?

I'm remembering Kenny coming in to take over from Hodgson. We just lost to Blackburn who ended up getting relegated. The club was in despair, the Hicks/Gillette debacle and the football we were playing. Kenny was just what we needed.

I'm too young to remember him playing but when he came back you couldn't not feel that buzz amongst other fans, older and young, about a club legend taking the reigns.

• Advertisement

other manager have to put up with shreeves and they manage to hold it together. Kenny didnt.

Still don't understand this criticism. I must be thick. But one of the criticisms of his management - repeated now again today - is that he didn't play ball with the media. He was dismissive of dickhead reporters in post match interviews. He gave honest copy in press conferences. His instinct was defend the club and players first and ask questions later. And people are criticisng this?

Is it because people were embarrassed? They needed Dalglish to conform to the standards? Or people really enjoy bland media handling and see value to it?

I thought it was a strong point more than a weakness. And it wouldn't have entered my mind to care what opposition fans made of the interviews - they flat out didn't like Kenny and would have been looking for an excuse to bring him down. Maybe I am thick.

BAD posting.

Kenny's performance was skirting the lines of acceptable / unacceptable. Our league form was poor the latter half of his first full season but our cup performances were excellent.

Last year our league form was poor (though improved) AND our cup performances were poor. Rodgers has had poor individual results this and last season too.

'Out of depth' implies a fundamental incompetence. Under Dalglish we reached two cup finals and traded towards 2ppg in the league for a calendar year (an arbitrary time marker but used to illustrate the point about an extended run of acceptable form). At the start of last year Rodgers was attempting to employ tactics patently unsuitable for the squad at his disposal. It seemed that his lack of experience was telling but he's turning it around.

Dalglish enjoyed individual perfomances that demonstrated a prepatory nous including two league victories in Stamford Bridge and defeating the league champions over two legs. You can keep typing 'out of his depth' but it will continue to not be true.

You keep pointing to cup performances, I have zero issue with the cups it was excellent and enjoyable. But you can win the FA cup every season for all I care, the league is what matters. Ask Wigan in the Championship.

League started well that's great but its how you finish. The results and run of form were absolutely shocking. Argue all you like but if Rodgers had churned out that last season you would have wanted him gone even if he won the league cup.

End of the day no one gives a toss about the league cup, if your not finishing in that top 4 your nowhere.

You keep pointing to cup performances, I have zero issue with the cups it was excellent and enjoyable. But you can win the FA cup every season for all I care, the league is what matters. Ask Wigan in the Championship.

League started well that's great but its how you finish. The results and run of form were absolutely shocking. Argue all you like but if Rodgers had churned out that last season you would have wanted him gone even if he won the league cup.

End of the day no one gives a toss about the league cup, if your not finishing in that top 4 your nowhere.

Eh, no. One of my major issues with Rodger's first season was our pitiful cup performances. I have been very clear and consistent on this point by the way. Give us one or the other. Not providing either is a problem.

I was under the impression that we didn't finish in the top four last year either but I could be mistaken on that point.

Still don't understand this criticism. I must be thick. But one of the criticisms of his management - repeated now again today - is that he didn't play ball with the media. He was dismissive of dickhead reporters in post match interviews. He gave honest copy in press conferences. His instinct was defend the club and players first and ask questions later. And people are criticisng this?

Is it because people were embarrassed? They needed Dalglish to conform to the standards? Or people really enjoy bland media handling and see value to it?

I thought it was a strong point more than a weakness. And it wouldn't have entered my mind to care what opposition fans made of the interviews - they flat out didn't like Kenny and would have been looking for an excuse to bring him down. Maybe I am thick.

no one was embarrassed. it was more down to the fact that the club was getting a bad image with sterling in court suarez up on racism charges and kenny having a go at interviewers after every game.

it was putting a negative light on the club and that is not good enough. he needed to keep his cool. so what if the reporters are asking hard questions. every manager is expected to have a bit of professionalism

and dont get me started about him bringing big andy to see (was it) westlife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I wish we signed him during the Evans era. He'd have been a perfect replacement for McAteer in the wing-back position.

To be fair he is fairly solid on both wing-back positions but excels as a false number 5.......never understood why he wasn't played there more often

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

i think when he came back it united the fans for the first time since Rafa's great season. it was needed. the way he did it was amazing. he answered the phone accepted the job and flew straight to liverpool from a holiday he was on in dubai. then he took the reigns the following day for the game against united and was unlucky not to get something from it.

with a new confidence the team went on to actually do pretty well in the league considering the amazing start to the campaign by the "un-chosen one". ...... but then kenny was given the job on a permanent basis. it was perhaps an unwise decision. now i love kenny. Gerrard Carra Fowler and Rush all aside Kenny was my favourite player of all time.

love the guy. he is such a proper club guy. he made a millionaires job look like it was a job done by a guy heavily involved in the community managing his local football team. thats not a bad thing. he made it seem like the job was been done because he wanted to do it and not because he was paid to. that is the difference between men like him and men like Jose or Pep.

but kenny had been out of the football fraternity for about a decade when he took control of liverpool. since his last job the game had changed

in kennys day (pre second stint)
    • subs where used just to put fresh legs on the field
    • players and management went for a pint after the game. even smoked on the side lines
    • tactics where variations of 442 with a strong striker/fast striker partnership
    • everyone trained the same way
    • the players where left to do the job on the pitch

in modern football
    • subs are now used as tactical decisions
    • players and management dont drink or smoke
    • tactics are all over the place. some mangers have such detailed tactics that we could be here all day and not get through one example
    • now there is a false 9, false 10, inside forward, outside center mid, trequartistas, half backs, defensive wingers etc
    • everyone is on special diets and special training routines
    • most players are told where to even step when they are on the pitch. some managers (rafa for example) liked to tell players what to do for the full 90 mins. he was like a conductor conducting his orchestra of players rather than the old approach of leaving the players to it.

Kenny coming back might not have been such a big deal to us fans (in terms of a negative) but Kenny was outdated as a manager

the things we remember are

kenny dropping everything and jumping straight into the dug out when most managers would have sat in the stands for a game or two to access what they had.

kenny uniting the fans and the club. bringing back a song to our ever quietening anfield.

i just wish that after his 6 months spell in charge we just found a replacement. then he would have gone down as the man who came back and saved us from Roy.

but we will still always love King Kenny. happy birthday kenny YNWA

I have visions that you employ a typist who types out your thoughts as you shout them aloud :P

I hope we can all agree that he epitomises everything that is great about the club.

tt5wa.gif

100%. The man bleeds LFC.

djPSB wrote: »
    I have visions that you employ a typist who types out your thoughts as you shout them aloud :P

must be able to type 600 words a minute to keep up :D
    djPSB wrote: »
    100%. The man bleeds LFC.

hopefully one day he will be knighted like he deserves. the truely damning thing is the things he doesnt get praise for. his work in the city of liverpool was just amazing. the man has wept for this club. he has given everything to this club. makes you think when you have players like Masherano who refused to play and torres who refused to train with the team just so they could leave. sickening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

NukaCola wrote: »
    To be fair he is fairly solid on both wing-back positions but excels as a false number 5.......never understood why he wasn't played there more often
    Pffftt...he redefined the false no. 1 position, so much so that NO OTHER PLAYER IN WORLD FOOTBALL IS EVEN CLOSE TO HIS GREATNESS:mad:

Revisionist:P

Augmerson wrote: »
    Wasn't Kenny's Liverpool hitting the post/crossbar 30+ times in the full season he was in charge? Where would that have put the team if they had gone in?

I'm remembering Kenny coming in to take over from Hodgson. We just lost to Blackburn who ended up getting relegated. The club was in despair, the Hicks/Gillette debacle and the football we were playing. Kenny was just what we needed.

I'm too young to remember him playing but when he came back you couldn't not feel that buzz amongst other fans, older and young, about a club legend taking the reigns.

Just a note.

I think we have hit the woodwork more times than other team as well this season.

But we've also scored more goals than any other team.

We also had awful bother scoring penalties. Stevie has sorted that problem out which is something we take for granted somewhat.

It didn't work out for Kenny in his last season in the league. Nobody disagrees with that.

Shame it didn't work out better as he is Mr Liverpool. Always will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It didn't work out for Kenny in his last season in the league. Nobody disagrees with that.

Shame it didn't work out better as he is Mr Liverpool. Always will be.

Everyone should bookmark this post and link to it when this debate comes up.

must be able to type 600 words a minute to keep up :D

hopefully one day he will be knighted like he deserves. the truely damning thing is the things he doesnt get praise for. his work in the city of liverpool was just amazing. the man has wept for this club. he has given everything to this club. makes you think when you have players like Masherano who refused to play and torres who refused to train with the team just so they could leave. sickening

I really hope not. Of what benefit is it to him to get that mickey mouse title?
    He has all the medals and recognition he needs from the game. He does a lot of charity work as you mentioned and is strongly involved with the Hillsborough campaign, but he doesn't do it for dust collectors or stupid knighthoods, he does it cos that's the type of man he is.

I really hope not. Of what benefit is it to him to get that mickey mouse title?
    He has all the medals and recognition he needs from the game. He does a lot of charity work as you mentioned as is strongly involved with the Hillsborough campaign, but he doesn't do it for dust collectors or stupid knighthoods, he does it cos that's the type of man he is.

but isnt that the reason he should be credited for it? surely the ones that do it for the fame are the ones who shouldnt be given these titles. Kenny deserves the award purely as a recognition to the tireless and selfless work the man has done.

even if he doesnt get it im sure he will be happy to know that he will always be King Kenny to us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Unfortunately, I don't remember much of Kenny's first appearance at Liverpool but his second was an eye opener on how an emotional experience it was for him.

He really wore his heart on his sleeve when it came to Liverpool.

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I don't remember much of Kenny's first appearance at Liverpool but his second was an eye opener on how an emotional experience it was for him.

He really wore his heart on his sleeve when it came to Liverpool.

i think it was even more awakening considering he was replacing mr "that was famous result" hodgson

Kenny actually looked like he felt every point dropped

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

hey guys im looking at heading over for the sunderland or the spurs game at the end of march. just wondering if there is anyone here who heads over regularly who could give me a couple pointers on how to do the trip cheap? ideally it would be the wednesday game but flights are expensive if im flying over wednesday. just wondering what way ye would go about yer trip over.

Only seen this now, over on Irish Kop we have a whole dedicated section for Tickets & Travel info. As 5star says its a pain to get cheap flights these days but over on IK a heads up was posted about the Sunderland game a day or two before Sky announced what date it was on. This enabled a load of us to book cheap flight and hotels, it was a risk but paid off. I got myself and the young lad return flights for something like 70 euro.

You just need to keep an eye on the Tickets & Travel section, as I say to everybody if you are new to IK try read the rules and get involved. Nothing worse than a lad with 2 or 3 posts looking for 6 tickets for the Chelsea game for example. We have a great community going there and lads help each other out, there are some of our members at every game home & away. If you get involved you will get looked after.

Dub13 wrote: »
    Only seen this now, over on Irish Kop we have a whole dedicated section for Tickets & Travel info. As 5star says its a pain to get cheap flights these days but over on IK a heads up was posted about the Sunderland game a day or two before Sky announced what date it was on. This enabled a load of us to book cheap flight and hotels, it was a risk but paid off. I got myself and the young lad return flights for something like 70 euro.

You just need to keep an eye on the Tickets & Travel section, as I say to everybody if you are new to IK try read the rules and get involved. Nothing worse than a lad with 2 or 3 posts looking for 6 tickets for the Chelsea game for example. We have a great community going there and lads help each other out, there are some of our members at every game home & away. If you get involved you will get looked after.

thanks a million for the advice.

i was hoping that since it was a midweek game i might get tickets in the general sale but luck has it a mate has a fancard so is going to try to get his hands on tickets also. i just got verified on IK so im going to try to get more active there before asking for help on tickets as its going to be a more regular thing hopefully. hopefully ill get sorted through my mate or the general sale for the sunderland game. i was checking flights at the moment they are coming in at about 120 for myself and the missus so its not too bad.

have you ever bought tickets when they go on general sale by any chance? just wondering if im up against a losing battle or if i should be hoping more for the mates fancard (i think he has the light membership) to help us.

thanks a million for the advice.

i was hoping that since it was a midweek game i might get tickets in the general sale but luck has it a mate has a fancard so is going to try to get his hands on tickets also. i just got verified on IK so im going to try to get more active there before asking for help on tickets as its going to be a more regular thing hopefully. hopefully ill get sorted through my mate or the general sale for the sunderland game. i was checking flights at the moment they are coming in at about 120 for myself and the missus so its not too bad.

have you ever bought tickets when they go on general sale by any chance? just wondering if im up against a losing battle or if i should be hoping more for the mates fancard (i think he has the light membership) to help us.

You can still get help and advice before you build up the required posts etc buy just reading the threads. Each match has its own ticket thread have a scan over a few of them and you will get an idea.

You are correct that mid week games are generally easier to get tickets for, but the flip side is it requires an overnight stay most times. But don't be afraid to think outside the box, we have lads who when flights are mad money fly into Birmingham and train it up or share a rental car.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Dub13 wrote: »
    Y
    You are correct that mid week games are generally easier to get tickets for, but the flip side is it requires an overnight stay most times. But don't be afraid to think outside the box, we have lads who when flights are mad money fly into Birmingham and train it up or share a rental car.

I have done this on many occasions.

Flights to Birmingham are a fraction of cost than those to Liverpool.
    Trains from Birmingham (New Street) ---> Liverpool (Lime St) are regular enough and journey time of just over 1:40mins (try and get an express)

but the idea of sharing a rented car will save you even more time and money.

a rented car from Birmingham Airport (car rental place 2min walk from main entrance) will save you more money, as if you dont want to bus it into Birmingham CC ( can be a poxy journey 1hr+) or a taxi which defeats the purpose (£25+) then car pooling is the way to go, and will keep costs way down, and drive directly from the airport to Liverpool 1hr 40mins.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I have done this on many occasions.

Flights to Birmingham are a fraction of cost than those to Liverpool.
    Trains from Birmingham (New Street) ---> Liverpool (Lime St) are regular enough and journey time of just over 1:40mins (try and get an express)

but the idea of sharing a rented car will save you even more time and money.

a rented car from Birmingham Airport (car rental place 2min walk from main entrance) will save you more money, as if you dont want to bus it into Birmingham CC ( can be a poxy journey 1hr+) or a taxi which defeats the purpose (£25+) then car pooling is the way to go, and will keep costs way down, and drive directly from the airport to Liverpool 1hr 40mins.

There was so many of us going this way a few years ago (sometimes 50 plus) that we started to rent our own coach. Was great. Always cheap flights into Birmingham. Lads always looking to rent cars on IK, a thread got started yesterday for Newcastle on the last day of the season.

You can also save money on flying into Manchester, as if there are more than 4/5 of us it works out cheaper to get a taxi than the train.

Its all about sharing info, that's what we are about helping lads get to as many games a season as they can. And for a reasonable price.

will you cop on i was just putting it down in cold hard facts. if you disagree with my assessment then tell me where im wrong

everything i said was accurate.

if you dont think the game changed in the decade he was away then youve lost this debate already.

i agree he was screwed with Damo though

Accurate ? Players still smoke and drink . It doesn't matter about fitness levels and diets . Football is still the same game . It's about buying the best of talent and assembling a team that can play together . Players are obviously fitter but it's still the basic game .
    As regards to formations Kenny was well able to mix it up . I remember the game against utd when kuyt bagged the hat trick . Kenny employed tactics that ferguson didn't know how to respond to . So tactically he could do it .
    Playing 4-4-2 a lot was down to the fact you have two strikers that could offer two different things . It also looked that Liverpool played with 3 central midfielders and downing as the player to provide the width . But the problem was downing was gutless and afraid to try and beat a man .
    As I said the only reporters Kenny seemed to be short with where shreeves and o Connor . I don't blame him for being short with them at all . If you watch back some of his old press conferences from the Thursday he could have a laugh and a joke with the press . He didn't like some of the people on sky sports and treated then accordingly .
    Kenny did what any proper manager would do and took the flack for the likes of Suarez because a lot of the best managers do it for their players . Ferguson did it for rio and cantona . Mourinho does it all the time for the Chelsea . As classless as he was to call Suarez a diver for eto's trip on him he deflected attention away from his own player . All managers do it .

well yea i was going to make a week of it. the birthday is on the friday after the game so going to head over tuesday and come back the fri or sat. flying from dub-lpool and back. flight seems reasonable and was going to get a hostel. was looking at HOAX. its city center and looks good. private rooms too. probably going to splash out this time though for the birthday and get a hotel instead. but before the hotel idea it was working out at about 420 for two of us including flights hostel and match tickets. just hoping we get tickets together as id be fine but herself would go nuts if she was on her own at the game :D

yea i only got verified yesterday i think it was so just had a quick look at the site. looks good. i also found out about a supporters club here in limerick so going to join up with them if i can and apply for the light membership with the official website. ill definitley be using the IK forum though.

i didnt realise you cant get the ferry to liverpool as a foot passenger though. thats nuts

So we will all be praying that Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling, Henderson or Gerrard don't get injured in these pointless games tomorrow night :mad:

• Advertisement

@Paul legend . If you are looking to go to a game look at man utds games and see if they are away you could bag cheap flights into Manchester .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement