Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Paulegend wrote: »
    i didnt realise you cant get the ferry to liverpool as a foot passenger though. thats nuts

Nobody used it as its two long, something like 8 1/2 hours. Its mostly for cargo. You are much better off going to Holyhead can take as little as 90min on the fast boat. Then 1.40 or so up the motorway to Liverpool. So about 3 1/2 hours as opposed to 8 1/2.

Another cheap way is sail & rail and Eurolines, bother very cheap and don't go up like the flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

@Paul legend . If you are looking to go to a game look at man utds games and see if they are away you could bag cheap flights into Manchester .

will do thanks. i was looking at flights into manchester for the sunderland game but they seemed to be about a fiver cheaper than the flights to liverpool so it looks better to fly to liverpool on this occasion. im hoping to get over a lot more though so ill keep an eye on flights into manchester and birmingham

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Do not know if this has been posted but rumours are Sevilla want Suso and are in advance negotiations, and he has rejected a new contract from us in Jan.

http://www.eldesmarque.com/sevilla/60589-suso-en-el-horizonte-del-sevilla

**Google translate warning:

Sevilla sports management works in making Nervión team for next season and one of the players listed on your horizon is the Liverpool attacking midfielder, on loan at Almeria, Jesús Joaquín Fernández, 'Suso'. Environmental sources have assured footballer ElDesmarque negotiations Sevilla Cadiz by the player are very advanced and the intention of the club is to close soon Nervión agreement due to interest shown by various football teams. The lefty ends contract with Liverpool in June 2015 and has already rejected an offer of renewal by the Anfield club this January.
    In the Sevilla club in any case, deny any agreement with the Andalusian player.
    Suso came to Liverpool in the summer of 2010 at age 17, but did not debut with the first team in a competitive match until September 2012 against Young Boys in the Europa League. After a season in which he had not many minutes, the player went out on loan last summer to Almeria, where he has been a fixture throughout the season and has shown his qualities as a playmaker and as a left-winger.
    The player, meanwhile, looks favorably joining Sevilla and has already informed people around their intention to stay in the Spanish league. Last summer already rejected an offer from Borussia Dortmund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Dub13 wrote: »
    Nobody used it as its two long, something like 8 1/2 hours. Its mostly for cargo. You are much better off going to Holyhead can take as little as 90min on the fast boat. Then 1.40 or so up the motorway to Liverpool. So about 3 1/2 hours as opposed to 8 1/2.

Another cheap way is sail & rail and Eurolines, bother very cheap and don't go up like the flights.

oh thats a great idea the sail and rail i never even thought of as an option. the prices look good too. its quoting about 80 each way for both of us. at least if the flights dont work out its a backup

i appreciate all the advice from everyone thanks

be a shame to lose Suso before seeing can he make it at LFC

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »

big shame.

I rate the fella very highly, and he is no Pacheco before someone pulls that card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Agueroooo wrote: »
    big shame.

I rate the fella very highly, and he is no Pacheco before someone pulls that card.
    I still maintain Pacheco is awesome - just to save face :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Be a real shame to loose Suso, I would love to see him give it a go at Liverpool after his loan spell. He was the standout talent in the reserves for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Suso is to go I hope they put a big sell on % in the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

If that source was in English, we wouldnt give it any weight.

Nonsense until proven otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I would not like to see Suso sold, think he is going to be very very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Do not know if this has been posted but rumours are Sevilla want Suso and are in advance negotiations, and he has rejected a new contract from us in Jan

He signed a long term contract on the 19th of October 2012 . To me that means 5+ years when he put pen to paper .

He signed a long term contract on the 19th of October 2012 . To me that means 5+ years when he put pen to paper .

No it was only 3 years. Pretty sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The transfermarkt has his contract ending 30/06/15 so only a year to go on it.

Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Suso extended his deal a year ago so i imagine he still has a bit left on his current one. Pretty surprising to see that thing with sevilla, am hesitant to believe it tbh.

Yeah and he signed on for 3 seasons, so until summer 2015. At least that is what was reported

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Transfermarkt says Suso's contract will expire on 30.06.2015

I wouldn't be loaning him out again. We'll have lots of games next season and if they want him to sign a new contract I think its best to keep him at Melwood.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If all true it means that he will either leave this summer permanently or else be persuaded to sign a new contract once he is back in the country properly. I'd be sad to lose him though, he has looked like a superb prospect for a number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I know you can't give stock to what players say but I'd give it as much credence as these reports. Suso gave an interview in January when he was asked back to Liverpool for a progress report/chat by Brendan. I remember him saying it went very well and he was looking forward to returning to Liverpool next season.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

rarnes1 wrote: »

Agree.

BUT Suso needs to start giving Rodgers to think about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Anyone at Sevilla we could snap up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Hodgson's tenure was hapless.

Dalglish was in charge for a season and a half. In the first half season he oversaw a substantial improvement in league form and recovered to a sixth place finish. In season two we performed excellently in the two cup competitions but were ultimately disappointing in the league with a sharp disimprovement in the second half of the season.

Overall? Average performance with a negative performance trend. "Poor"? I wouldn't say so just as I wouldn't have said he did "well".

Moreover, all his "supporters" on here were arguing for was one more season on the basis of an initial good league run plus strong cup performances. We felt that he had done enough to get more time. That isn't "worshipping" at all imo.

I will admit that this season would be 10 times more enjoyable and meaningful to me if it was under Dalglish. That would have been religious experience territory. But that's another conversation ultimately. In summation:

- Sounness was an unmitigated disaster for numerous reasons, should have been sacked the day after the Sun article;
    - Evans did a decent job but was not going to take us to the next level and it was reasonable for the club to change it up;
    - Houllier reinstilled a winning mentality and left the club in a better state than he found it however had taken us as far as could;
    - Benitez took us to the top of the European table and it is a big 'what if' in terms of where we would be if had survived the ownership change;
    - Hodgson was dreadful;
    - Dalglish inherited an aging squad with no confidence and got things moving forward, delivered a trophy and could potentially have been given more time. But he was poor in the transfer market and the best league form was the first half of his tenure;
    - Rodgers is learning on the job, made numerous tactical and player acquisition mistakes during his first six months but has enjoyed a far stronger year two. Early days, but looks promising;

Each manager needs to be assessed independent of the other.

The worshiping aspect I referred to wasn't aimed entirely at those that wanted him to stay as manager, it was aimed at those wanting him to stay on the basis of who he was, rather then how he had performed.

Dalglish's reign panned out much as you would expect things to have done had someone like Martin O'Neill been given the role. The initial upsurge after replacing an unpopular manager only sustaining the run so far. I agree, that the level achieved in the half season he took over was excellent, however he couldn't sustain that.

Dalglish was afforded far more leeway, and rightly so, then anyone else's would have been. Those same achievements would be looked back on far less credibly had Hodgson or Rodgers achieved such.

As I said, I don't think he was hapless, but similarly, I don't think he deserved to stay as there was little evidence that he was turning things around. His reputation afforded him a huge amount, and support for him to stay was to a large extent swayed not by performances, but by reputation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

murpho999 wrote: »
    Dalglish out of his depth, heard it all now.

Won league with two clubs?

Given time he could have been successful, Comoli's transfer policy had a lot to do with his downfall too.

He turned the club back on the right path after Hodgson disaster.

One thing Ferguson is always credited with was his ability to adapt to the changes in the game.

Probably more so then in any other period since the abolition of the maximum wage, the game evolved hugely over the time between Dalglish winning the league, and coming back to Liverpool.

Given he was out of the game for such a long period, its fair to say he was out of his depth. I'm sure most neutrals, as well as many lfc fans would concur on that point.

And the transfer, while I don't doubt Comolli played his part, there was a pair of them in it and both deserve their share of criticism. It suits people to apportion much of the blame on Comolli, but Dalglish's own quotes prove that to be untrue

brevity wrote: »

Ivan Rakitic is someone I believe we've been linked to. Perhaps there is some deal we could make re: Suso.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I will admit that this season would be 10 times more enjoyable and meaningful to me if it was under Dalglish. That would have been religious experience territory.

What?? That is an absolutely ridiculous p.o.v. You support Liverpool, not Dalglish.

Or maybe it's because you have had to climb down from the high horse you mounted about Rodgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

What?? That is an absolutely ridiculous p.o.v. You support Liverpool, not Dalglish.

Or maybe it's because you have had to climb down from the high horse you mounted about Rodgers.

Think that's pretty harsh on lloyd to be fair. Had Dalglish pulled off this performance level, it would have been some fairytale addition to his story and the club's.

Kenny is and always be a hero. It's the same reason why Gerrard lifting the league this year would mean more than agger or someone lifting it next year if gerrard were gone.

Also, if Liverpool do manage the unmanageable and win the league, there will be a reasonably large part of me that is absolutely gutted for jamie carragher.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

jethro081 wrote: »
    Think that's pretty harsh on lloyd to be fair. Had Dalglish pulled off this performance level, it would have been some fairytale addition to his story and the club's.

Kenny is and always be a hero. It's the same reason why Gerrard lifting the league this year would mean more than agger or someone lifting it next year if gerrard were gone.

I don't see how it's harsh. I don't care who the manager is as long as the results we have seen this season keep up. Dalglish couldn't get the team performing like this, was tactically clueless more often than not, goodbye and thanks for trying.

I don't see how it's harsh. I don't care who the manager is as long as the results we have seen this season keep up. Dalglish couldn't get the team performing like this, was tactically clueless more often than not, goodbye and thanks for trying.

I think you missed his point.

He's saying it'd mean even more if the current good season's was happening under Kenny. What's wrong with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

I don't see how it's harsh. I don't care who the manager is as long as the results we have seen this season keep up.

all i'm saying is i can see what he means, and a lot of us will obviously form more of an atattchment to a club legend than a guy few of us had heard about five years ago.

And i like Rodgers by the way, he can paint himself into that legend category if he keeps this performance level up and delivers the big trophies, i'm just saying i can completely see where lloyd is coming from, cos if kenny had done this it would have been special on an extra sentimental level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

opr wrote: »
    I know you can't give stock to what players say but I'd give it as much credence as these reports. Suso gave an interview in January when he was asked back to Liverpool for a progress report/chat by Brendan. I remember him saying it went very well and he was looking forward to returning to Liverpool next season.

Opr
    That doesn't really mean anything though. Rodgers was singing the praises of Downing in the second half of the season but still gave him a push in the Summer.

The big problem for Suso is that the quality of football at Almeria is abysmal. While Suso retains the ball brilliantly, his team mates are barely able to string ten yard passes together. That means for large parts of the game, he is tracking back because his team are on the counter, or else he is chasing opponents trying to win the ball back. The whole set up at Almeria makes him look far less effective than he should be.

Even then, the jury is still out on whether Suso is a good fit for our team. He is not quick, so that puts him at a disadvantage when compared to Sterling or Sturridge if deployed on the wing. He'd probably be ideal played centrally, but when you look at how good Coutinho can be, is he good enough - I am not convinced.

The only thing that would annoy me is if we kept Alberto and sold Suso. Without a shadow of a doubt, if we're going to give one player a chance, then it has to be Suso. He is younger and has already shown more, it's a no brainer.

Suso gave the interview not Rodgers. It would just be a bit weird for him to have been singing our praises in the media while at the same time rejecting a contract extension.

Opr

This will show this season Luis has had so far . He has been the best player on whoscored.com .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

I suppose all our main guys will be in international friendly action tommorow
    Hope I wont be reading about any bad injuries !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You think it's ridiculous to suggest that this season would be far more magical and memorable if the greatest player in the history of the club who stood ten foot tall in its lowest moment was to one to have returned, galvanised the club and led it back from turmoil to the top of the table?

Like I said earlier, a lack of knowledge and respect.

• Advertisement

Pretty impressive press conference from Gerrard and for the first time ever I could see the potential manager in him, but he absolutely has learned from the way Rodgers speaks. ..

I was actually just listening to an interview with the sport psychologist Peters that Gerrard is talking about. Link - Here. He has worked with many of the Liverpool players. Sturridge is quoted as saying that he helped him massively.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Agree with LuckyLlyod.

If it was Kenny as manager the excitement right now would be much more than it is.

BUT I don't believe that Kenny would have managed to get the team to the position we're in at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Super result at the weekend put a few bob on Suarez . He was due one.

http://gyazo.com/6e32037ae940aff249493ad660475b93

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

You think it's ridiculous to suggest that this season would be far more magical and memorable if the greatest player in the history of the club who stood ten foot tall in its lowest moment was to one to have returned, galvanised the club and led it back from turmoil to the top of the table?

Stop living in the past dude :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

As a matter of interest, is Suso in the under 21 squad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ivan Rakitic is someone I believe we've been linked to. Perhaps there is some deal we could make re: Suso.

Beyond the fact I don't believe the story for a moment if he did go it would have to be with Rakitic coming to Liverpool in player/cash deal. Least it would be worth it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

As a matter of interest, is Suso in the under 21 squad?

No hes not, but the likes of isco and carvalaj are in it so its an extremely tough squad to get into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Fully agree,to see Kenny lift the title again would be akin to a religious experience.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Fully agree,to see Kenny lift the title again would be akin to a religious experience.

Of course it would be. Anyone who says otherwise is under 25 or so (obviously doesn't go for all people that young), or else just supports the team, not the club with the beating heart and history it has. There is very much a place for sentimentality in football and LFC. I don't agree with sentimentality over results in the long term, but someone like Kenny deserves far more respect than a few are showing him here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I'm old enough to remember the last couple of seasons that Kenny played, of course it would have been really great to have seen him succeed second time around but it was, for me anyway, a huge disappointment and I wasn't sad to see him go. Any match I recall watching from his second stint, we never looked like we were going to score, it was painful to watch at times. It's also worth noting that Comoli gets the majority of the blame for the signings that were made during that period, yet Rodgers gets a lot of stick for our (lack of) transfer activity so far during his tenure.

BMJD wrote: »
    I'm old enough to remember the last couple of seasons that Kenny played, of course it would have been really great to have seen him succeed second time around but it was, for me anyway, a huge disappointment and I wasn't sad to see him go. Any match I recall watching from his second stint, we never looked like we were going to score, it was painful to watch at times. It's also worth noting that Comoli gets the majority of the blame for the signings that were made during that period, yet Rodgers gets a lot of stick for our (lack of) transfer activity so far during his tenure.

Whatever about anything else, Ayre is getting more blame than Rodgers on the lack of signings in recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Kenny is and always be a legend. In saying that I'm more interested now to hopefully see our current manager keep making the strides he is making. Hopefully in a short while he will cement his own pedestal, time will tell though. Delighted with the way it's going, as I'm sure Kenny is too.

Swiss ramble is posting a lot of stuff on twitter about our finances for those interested.

@swissramble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

BMJD wrote: »

No Rodgers isn't getting the stick, he's getting praised for getting the most out of the resources he has.

FSG and Ayre on the other hand....plenty of stick in their direction.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement