Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bh6AQjzIcAA0zjM.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

brevity wrote: »
    Swiss ramble is posting a lot of stuff on twitter about our finances for those interested.

@swissramble
    Some good tweets there. Depressing how the gap between us and the top 4 (financially) has opened up so much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You think it's ridiculous to suggest that this season would be far more magical and memorable if the greatest player in the history of the club who stood ten foot tall in its lowest moment was to one to have returned, galvanised the club and led it back from turmoil to the top of the table?

Like I said earlier, a lack of knowledge and respect.

A lack of knowledge? Let's not get into a willy waving contest here but I can guarantee i have been watching Liverpool for just as long, if not longer than you have.

What you are pushing here is sentimental rubbish, Kenny got his chance and failed when it came to league performances, failed spectacularly. Rodgers has shown in his almost 2 years in charge that he is a far more capable manager (in the league) than Kenny could even dream about. Like I said, I support the team, not legends of years gone by. I want Liverpool to win the league, not Kenny Dalglish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Pique

Swiss ramble is posting a lot of stuff on twitter about our finances for those interested.

@swissramble

That website is brilliant. They explain the football club finances so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

A lack of knowledge? Let's not get into a willy waving contest here but I can guarantee i have been watching Liverpool for just as long, if not longer than you have.

What you are pushing here is sentimental rubbish, Kenny got his chance and failed when it came to league performances, failed spectacularly. Rodgers has shown in his almost 2 years in charge that he is a far more capable manager (in the league) than Kenny could even dream about.

But Kenny has won the league?!?

But Kenny has won the league?!?

And people wonder why we are accused of constantly living in the past?

Trappatoni has won plenty in his career, would you take him as manager? Howard Wilkinson won the league in 1992, would you take him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I just don't understand how you could say someone who has won little in the game has a better understanding than others who have won so much.

You can make your point without insinuating that others are clueless.

And people wonder why we are accused of constantly living in the past?

Trappatoni has won plenty in his career, would you take him as manager? Howard Wilkinson won the league in 1992, would you take him?

Jeez man, give it a rest.

I find it hard to believe any diehard fan would stick the boot into Kenny as much. I know I wouldn't.

There's nobody asking for him back ffs. People are just eternally grateful for what's he done for the club on and off the field.

I just don't understand how you could say someone who has won little in the game has a better understanding than others who have won so much.

You can make your point without insinuating that others are clueless.

Kenny won plenty in his first stint in charge, football changed in 15 years. Given the choice between Rodgers and Dalglish right this second I would take Rodgers every single time. Anybody who chooses the other option is just living on sentimentality.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Jeez man, give it a rest.

I find it hard to believe any diehard fan would stick the boot into Kenny as much. I know I wouldn't.

There's nobody asking for him back ffs. People are just eternally grateful for what's he done for the club on and off the field.

I'm not sticking the boot in, my original post on this was calling Lloyds opinion nonsensical, I'm a Liverpool supporter, not a Kenny Dalglish supporter, that's all.

Kenny won plenty in his first stint in charge, football changed in 15 years. Given the choice between Rodgers and Dalglish right this second I would take Rodgers every single time. Anybody who chooses the other option is just living on sentimentality.

Who said otherwise?

Kenny heading for mid 60s, Rodgers is a young man.

If he manages to win us a league he'll go down as a legend too.

As well as things are going he's achieved nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

I'm not sticking the boot in, my original post on this was calling Lloyds opinion nonsensical, I'm a Liverpool supporter, not a Kenny Dalglish supporter, that's all.

Then i'd imagine that you would understand why people have such an affinity with Kenny ... it goes beyond nostalgia. He is a living legend. Deserves respect.

Of course Rodgers is the right man at the helm right now. Just drop it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Every Liverpool fan should be a Kenny Dalglish fan. There is something missing in anyone who isn't, and I pity them in a way.

5starpool wrote: »
    Every Liverpool fan should be a Kenny Dalglish fan. There is something missing in anyone who isn't, and I pity them in a way.

Which is more important to you, Liverpool or Kenny Dalglish? As the man himself has said, no man is bigger than the club.

Which is more important to you, Liverpool or Kenny Dalglish? As the man himself has said, no man is bigger than the club.

I don't think 5starpool said anyone was bigger than the club either!

• Advertisement

Who said anything about him being more important than the club? I'm just glad to have him as part of our club, whereas you don't seem to care at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

:confused:
    no one is saying choose
    but if you are a Liverpool fan u automatically should be a Kenny fan
    fans who don't regonise what Kenny did for the club are not true fans of the club imo

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I don't think 5starpool said anyone was bigger than the club either!

And I have never stated i don't respect Kenny Dalglish for what he did for the club over the years and continues to do for the people of Liverpool.

My point was aimed at Lloyds original post, something people seem to be missing. I have no interest in discussing the merits of Kenny Dalglish, the legend. I merely stated it was a ridiculous opinion to hold that this season would be better if Kenny was in charge. He had his chance and failed spectacularly, if he hadn't been so outdated with his tactics and frankly ridiculous in the transfer market then maybe he would have had a shot at a season like this. All a post like that does is take away from the absolutely remarkable job our current manager has done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Kenny was a great manager and player, perhaps the greatest... everyone knows that.
    Brendan Rodgers is the manager and I wish people would get behind him properly and stop dragging up old arguments and trying to spin the fact that they were so opposed to him being manager in the first place. We would still be in mid table if ye guys were in charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Who's sticking the boot into Kenny?

I am old enough to remember him lifting the European Cup as a player. The guy is a hero and a club legend and will remain so forever. Having said that, removing him from the managers job was the right decision. It was no fault of Kenny's though. He was into his 60's when he took charge, he inherited one of the worst Liverpool squad's in memory and had been out of the game for over 10 years. The man basically had an impossible task to turn the club around.

What we needed back in 2010 was a young manager who understood the modern game, was an outsider to the club and hence not sentimental about certain players, and who was willing to take a knife to the squad. We got that in Rodgers and while we should remember the past, we shouldn't be pining for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Rogers has achieved more in 2 years in the league than the only man to have won both the Premier League and managed Liverpool to league titles??

mate that makes no sense. In terms of domestic achievements to date there's no contest.

We all prefer Rogers as a manager right now this season with this team. But you're bringing up a past manager and ignoring his past achievements. That makes no sense to do, whether it's Kenny or anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

It's okay to support both though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

MD1990 wrote: »
    :confused:
    no one is saying choose
    but if you are a Liverpool fan u automatically should be a Kenny fan
    fans who don't regonise what Kenny did for the club are not true fans of the club imo

Its like beating your head against a wall.

NOBODY is failing to recognise what Kenny did for the club.

Jesus Christ, any small criticism is met with imagined outraged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

round and round in circles we go. simple solution here for ye;

abortions for some, miniture american flags for others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

round and round in circles we go. simple solution here for ye;

abortions for some, miniture american flags for others.

Abortions is little harsh, no? There has been some real progress made on this forum.

Abortions is little harsh, no? There has been some real progress made on this forum.

1w58.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

He's killing Kenny, basterd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Too much progress if you ask me. Everyone clamouring to make to make the most upright and pc statement possible.

Winning the league would mean so much more to me if the muppet were here to stir it up with. sure this bnmc chap has achieved alot in one season but I dont see how users of this board could say it's the same thing to rub it in his face as it would be the muppets or maybe psb (though he did get more and more rational as time went by)

hurry up march 16th you're taking too long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Too much progress if you ask me. Everyone clamouring to make to make the most upright and pc statement possible.

Winning the league would mean so much more to me if the muppet were here to stir it up with. sure this bnmc chap has achieved alot in one season but I dont see how users of this board could say it's the same thing to rub it in his face as it would be the muppets or maybe psb (though he did get more and more rational as time went by)

hurry up march 16th you're taking too long!

Point made and made well I'm sure. I just haven't got ****en clue what you're on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How has football changed, still 11 players, green grass(although, that has improved) and 2 goals.

Players are fitter, ball is still round, and corner flags are made of fibre glass instead of wood.

Boots are cooler, and jerseys are lighter.

One thing that did change was that he had a better squad in the 80's than he did second time round and could also attract better signings as we were the top club in the land.

Really don't know why people are debating Kenny, he's never done wrong by the club and he also signed Suarez!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Nothing else to moan about I suppose.

I don't care who the manager is, we're playing great football, the most exciting I can remember since Collymore/Fowler and Aldo/Barnes/Beardsley.

Whether Kenny managing us would make that sweeter? I don't think so. For me Kenny leaned too much on the Rafa style of football, DM's, solid defence, that type of stuff. That kind of stuff became Liverpool signature football after GED and Rafa, we and Kenny knew no better.

If we won the title or have the best in Europe visiting the most intimidating ground in Britain for CL football, I don't give a bollicks who manages us. Liverpool is bigger than Rodgers, and it's bigger than Rafa or Kenny.

Kenny is 100% behind Rodgers so enough of this petty shyte. We've a new manager on a new journey, and it's pretty impressive stuff so far.

We'd Rafa winning the CL, restoring our CL pedigree. Hodgson a disaster, Kenny was a unifying factor.

Now we've a new chapter, owners who learned from stupid mistakes, a new, young, hungry manager. We might completely crash and burn, but I want CL football, Ajax, Milan, Real, Barca, the Bayerns of this world at Anfield, and I don't give a bollicks who manages us to it!

As Mourinho and Terry said, Anfield was special, for me why Jose hates us, but secretly admires us, he can never get what we have at Chelsea.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kenny would still have Andy Carroll as the focal point of the Liverpool game plan and Suarez would now be playing for Real Madrid (probably).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

We're second! Partay!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

mike65 wrote: »
    Kenny would still have Andy Carroll as the focal point of the Liverpool game plan and Suarez would now be playing for Real Madrid (probably).

At times a few on this thread and myself wondered how much faith even Kenny had in Carroll.

Put it this way, I do doubt Carroll out the door on loan was just based on Rodgers point of view, I'd say Kenny and others informed that opinion.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

K-9 wrote: »
    At times a few on this thread and myself wondered how much faith even Kenny had in Carroll.

Put it this way, I do doubt Carroll out the door on loan was just based on Rodgers point of view, I'd say Kenny and others informed that opinion.

Well its impossible to know and no one is going to ask him and if they did he'd be diplomatic in his answer.

Our reformed bad boy is now a happy bunny according to his latest interview

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/04/luis-suarez-liverpool-future-champions-league
    Suárez was asked whether he would stay at Liverpool if they fell short of the Champions League. "I think so," he said. "I signed my new contract because I'm very happy here and I want to stay where I'm enjoying football and life. Playing in the Champions League isn't dependent on that."

He added: "This is my best season yet. I feel in a very good place, physically and mentally. Every day, I feel better in this club. I hope to continue down this path because we want Champions League football for Liverpool and, personally speaking, I want to continue that mentality throughout the World Cup with Uruguay."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

...................aaaaanyways

On current affairs johnson has spoken again how he hasent been offered a new contract still, id imagine hes off. Cant see him proving himself deserving of an extension in the remaining ten games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Kenny Damien Commolli would still have Andy Carroll as the focal point of the Liverpool game plan and Suarez would now be playing for Real Madrid (probably).

FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Well its impossible to know and no one is going to ask him and if they did he'd be diplomatic in his answer.

Our reformed bad boy is now a happy bunny according to his latest interview

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/04/luis-suarez-liverpool-future-champions-league

said the same last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

murpho999 wrote: »
    How has football changed, still 11 players, green grass(although, that has improved) and 2 goals.

Players are fitter, ball is still round, and corner flags are made of fibre glass instead of wood.

One thing that did change was that he had a better squad in the 80's than he did second time round and could also attract better signings as we were the top club in the land.

Really don't know why people are debating Kenny, he's never done wrong by the club and he also signed Suarez!

Football has changed hugely. It's become a far more tactically disciplined game, requiring a much greater degree of fitness.

Look at the planning that Mourinho puts into games, the changes that came about following Wenger introducing different diets, fitness regimes etc. The attitudes of players are entirely different, and managing a multicultural group as oppose to having a vast majority from the same culture, in any industry, presents its own issues.

Listen to Adams, Merson etc talk about Wenger's methods, listen to Ferguson who credits his ability to move with the times as one of the reasons for his success, look at the success of managers who have embraced new methods relative to those who have maintained the status quo. Roy Keane too, never one to shy away from an opinion has spoken at length about how much things changed from his early years

The game hasn't changed,but the level of preparation, dedication and tactical nouns required is far greater then what it was twenty years ago, and irrespective of opinions on Dalglish or football being a simple game sound bites, like any industry, it changes with the times

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Gbear wrote: »
    FYP.

This is the problem, right here. People refuse to acknowledge Dalglish is capable of making mistakes. Let's just blame the French man nobody liked its more convenient

LiamoSail wrote: »
    This is the problem, right here. People refuse to acknowledge Dalglish is capable of making mistakes. Let's just blame the French man nobody liked its more convenient

well its ok to let Kenny share the blame but lets just say it and move on. no point in dragging this out for a 10th hour.

Kenny made mistakes. he will still be a legend. thankfully we have a manager who is doing really well and im happy to be a liverpool fan

Kenny made mistakes
    Damo made mistakes

Kenny will be a legend for everything he has done for us and we will forgive his bad season

Damo done feck all for us and his bad seasons are all we can remember him for

lets move on :)

murpho999 wrote: »

football is so simple from an armchair isnt it :D

your wrong mate

football is a completely different game these days than even the 90's let alone the 80's

anyone disowning these facts is in denial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

LiamoSail wrote: »

Kenny made lots of mistakes. I think the lion's share of the blame for the transfers lies with Commolli.
    That was his entire job. He wouldn't have been involved with the club otherwise.

i will leave you all with these goodnight words

Liverpool FC Champions of the Premier League 2013/14

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Gbear wrote: »
    Kenny made lots of mistakes. I think the lion's share of the blame for the transfers lies with Commolli.
    That was his entire job. He wouldn't have been involved with the club otherwise.

The Bolded, is simply too Impossible to Believe.
    Comolli's Transfer Dealings before Liverpool:

Arsenal:
    Kolo Touré
    Emmanuel Eboué
    Gaël Clichy

Tottenham Hotspur
    Gareth Bale
    Alan Hutton
    Kevin-Prince Boateng
    Giovani dos Santos
    Adel Taarabt
    Younès Kaboul
    Luka Modrić
    Benoît Assou-Ekotto
    Heurelho Gomes
    David Bentley
    Vedran Ćorluka
    Roman Pavlyuchenko
    Dimitar Berbatov

Of the 13 Transfer Deals that Comolli handled at Clubs before us, only 3 were British.

Now contrast that to his Tenure at Liverpool, where Carroll, Adams, Downing, Henderson were Signed. All 4 were British.

Looking at our Transfers, I'm quite Positive, that they were Dalglish's Picks instead of Comolli.

Sorry, Mate. I don't think you can apportion the Lion's Share of the Blame, as you call it, to Comolli. Specially, when Historical Precedent, directly opposes it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Is that why he kept Andy Carroll on the bench for a quarter of time he was fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

The Bolded, is simply too Impossible to Believe.

Of the 13 Transfer Deals that Comolli handled at Clubs before us, only 3 were British.

Now contrast that to his Tenure at Liverpool, where Carroll, Adams, Downing, Henderson were Signed. All 4 were British.

Looking at our Transfers, I'm quite Positive, that they were Dalglish's Picks instead of Comolli.

Sorry, Mate. I don't think you can apportion the Lion's Share of the Blame, as you call it, to Comolli. Specially, when Historical Precedent, directly opposes it.

They both share the blame. They also brought in Suarez, Enrique, Doni, Coates. Suarez being one of the best player we've ever had. Henderson is also coming good. Enrique is a solid FB for the price paid. Adam was also ok for the price.

Downing and Carroll were awful signings with nothing redeeming about them to be honest.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Im surprised more are not concerned about these useless international friendlies fecking up our league run in.

Sturridge alone has come back crocked from the last two out of three :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

So...this is what happens when we are playing well and there is no game this week?
    Very interesting (strokes long white beard)....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Dickerty wrote: »
    So...this is what happens when we are playing well and there is no game this week?
    Very interesting (strokes long white beard)....

I propose we pretend there's a game on Saturday. Who's making the match thread, can probably start the build up now?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement