Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Johnson playing well. Can still be an important player in the run in for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

5live wrote: »
    You're just getting spoiled from watching too much good football;)

I've actually thought that a couple of times this season. To take it even further, whenever I'm watching a game without Liverpool with a few of my mates, I always say, "A game without Suarez is a game missing something".

We've been privileged with that fella and watching Liverpool under Rodgers this year.

rob316 wrote: »
    Johnson playing well. Can still be an important player in the run in for us.

He looks a lot fitter, or something. Doing alright.

Want Gerrard to come off, but have the feeling he'll play 70+. Hodgson has a history of it when it comes to him. He'll take Hendo off before him, even.

Get Sturridge and Sterling off at HT, at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

HT 0-0

Sterling has done well
    Gerrard has pinged a few decent balls to Cole
    Sturridge needs to be playing central
    Hendo anonymous
    Johnson looked decent going forward

Hopefully all will be withdrawn now! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Knex. wrote: »
    Out of form Rooney and Wilshire is the main thing tonight. He couldn't have set them up any more like Liverpool otherwise, tbh. It is slower alright, and the build up from the back is different too.

Rooney has been as bad as I've ever seen him. Which is good news for next week, perhaps. Wilshire, as I said, not great either. Also good news.

Very hard to get a team playing like us when they only have a day or two to prepare. Rodgers system took months to assemble.

Plus Hodgson is manager so they've no hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Every one of our players should be in Luke Shaws ear after the game telling him how wonderful life in Liverpool is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    Every one of our players should be in Luke Shaws ear after the game telling him how wonderful life in Liverpool is.

He is a Chelsea fan and Cole is his Idol and he has pretty much signed for Chelsea anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

djPSB wrote: »
    Very hard to get a team playing like us when they only have a day or two to prepare. Rodgers system took months to assemble.

Plus Hodgson is manager so they've no hope.

They are missing mig , agger , Skrtel , flano Suarez and Coutinho .

Sign Lallana!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Sturridge. :D

Now take Sturridge off for the love of god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Great header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Does all this FPP talk mean that we'll have feck all transfer funds in the summer?

Also, I would have thought that repaying debt wouldn't count against you. I mean repaying debt is very different to accumulating debt???

Sterling MOTM.

Wonder how much he's worth now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Man of the Match for Sterling. Nice one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Also, I would have thought that repaying debt wouldn't count against you. I mean repaying debt is very different to accumulating debt???
    I think the press are just putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Looks like we'll have a clean bill of health after the freindlies.

Liverpool 1 - 0 Denmark (Sturridge 82m)

Everyone seems to have come through that in one piece but my god one can only be glad of the current manager.

Now how much will Lallana cost if Suso goes to Seville for 10 million? ;)

If Suso goes to Sevilla Rakitic must be part of that deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

mike65 wrote: »
    Sign Lallana!

He is a super player, has really impressed me this season.

Shaw looked so comfortable tonight....it's getting a bit boring but he is a serious talent and would pay big to have him at Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Sterling MOTM.

Wonder how much he's worth now?

shhhhhhh
    we want to hang onto him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool 1 - 1 Denmark (Sturridge 82m)

Everyone seems to have come through that in one piece but my god one can only be glad of the current manager.

Now how much will Lallana cost if Suso goes to Seville for 10 million? ;)

? What's the '1' for Denmark signify?

Any injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

It's something that entered my mind on Saturday. Can anyone see Lallana in occupying the no. 10 position currently occupied by Coutinho. This is not a criticism of the Brazilian who has been brilliant but next season if we are playing massive games twice a week we are going to need the depth of quality in the squad.

I reckon Lallana would be quality in our set-up

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Any injuries

All good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Any injuries

Jack "mr glass" wilshere.
    Liverpools lads came through unscathed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Logically, a debt must be racked up prior to it needing to be repaid.

The argument that the repayment of debt should be excluded from FFP for accounting purposes is flawed on the basis that a club could then borrow an amount, spend it on players/wages, then upon repayment of the debt seek to have it excluded from FFP accounting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

LiamoSail wrote: »

The argument that the repayment of debt should be excluded from FFP for accounting purposes is flawed on the basis that a club could then borrow an amount, spend it on players/wages, then upon repayment of the debt seek to have it excluded from FFP accounting

Repayment of debt (capital element) does not impact on the club's profit and loss account, so has no bearing on FFP, unless I'm mistaken. Not entirely sure how FFP is measured.

Repayment of debt (capital element) does not impact on the club's profit and loss account, so has no bearing on FFP, unless I'm mistaken. Not entirely sure how FFP is measured.

I haven't read too much into it, but I'd have thought transfer fees fall under the umbrella of capital investment, and hence repayment on debt accrued for this purpose are considered in FFP.

Headlines aside I haven't looked at the accounts published the other day, so I'm only working off speculation/assumptions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I would have thought that if a club borrows £100m in let's say 2012, then that counts as a £100m deficit for the club in 2012. If the club repay that debt in 2014, they shouldn't be penalised a further £100m in FPP accounting terms, right?

If it's counted against the club when they repay the loan (rather than when the loan is taken out), couldn't City get a 1billion loan from Abu Dhabi, pay it back over a 1000 year term and avoid any FFP sanctions that way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Lallana for £10m would be a good addition, wouldn't spend anymore than that on him.

Shaw would be an excellent addition and would sort out left back for the next 10+ years. Seems to be heading for Chelsea though by all accounts and I doubt we have that kind of money to invest in a left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

djPSB wrote: »
    Lallana for £10m would be a good addition, wouldn't spend anymore than that on him.

Shaw would be an excellent addition and would sort out left back for the next 10+ years. Seems to be heading for Chelsea though by all accounts and I doubt we have that kind of money to invest in a left back.

Hes young, their captain, and now probably an england regular if you could get him for £20 million you would be doing well id say. I wouldnt spend 20 million on him though.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Bh_6mjLCQAEaYyE.jpg

I would have thought that if a club borrows £100m in let's say 2012, then that counts as a £100m deficit for the club in 2012. If the club repay that debt in 2014, they shouldn't be penalised a further £100m in FPP accounting terms, right?

If it's counted against the club when they repay the loan (rather than when the loan is taken out), couldn't City get a 1billion loan from Abu Dhabi, pay it back over a 1000 year term and avoid any FFP sanctions that way?

In the first instance, I honestly don't know. I'd imagine debt accrued, only to the extent of expenditure accounted for in FFP, is carried over year on year since the FFP period was implemented, ie rather then recording the £100m this year, it'd have been carried over from the previous years

Regarding the City example, I'd agree with your logic. It being accounted for in the year of expenditure would however necessitate the need for the FFP debt to be carried over year on year, to avoid clubs deliberately not meeting the requirements one year, only to benefit from that expenditure the following year without repercussion.

The other issue is the manner in which clubs record transfer expenditure. From what I know, rather then recording the fee in the year of the transfer, they write it off over a number of years, much as LFC have done in the recent accounts. Again, not sure how this is dealt with under FFP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

rob316 wrote: »
    Hes young, their captain, and now probably an england regular if you could get him for £20 million you would be doing well id say. I wouldnt spend 20 million on him though.

Lallana turns 26 soon. Not exactly old but he's older than people think. I was surprised myself as I thought he was only 22 ish.

Lallana turns 26 soon. Not exactly old but he's older than people think. I was surprised myself as I thought he was only 22 ish.

People harp on about his youth because he came through Southampton's ranks and has only recently hit the spotlight, relatively speaking.

He's two years older than Allen and Henderson.

I heard Glen Hoddle talking about him earlier and putting him in the same category as Barkley, who's 6 years younger than him, more or less. That's mad, Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'd assume a club borrowing to pay wages would be outside the rules! AFAIK only debt for stuff like stadium redevelopment is allowable.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

People harp on about his youth because he came through Southampton's ranks and has only recently hit the spotlight, relatively speaking.

He's two years older than Allen and Henderson.

I heard Glen Hoddle talking about him earlier and putting him in the same category as Barkley, who's 6 years younger than him, more or less. That's mad, Ted.

it always reminds me of the call for wes hoolahan to be given a chance with ireland as we need the youth to be introduced into the fold:D was a common call under trapps

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I liked the last sentence of this bit in the Liverpool Echo match report of the England game:
    There was a scare for England when Jack Wilshere went down in agony clutching his foot after a strong challenge from Liverpool centre-back Daniel Agger.

Hodgson and his staff were clearly less than impressed by the ferocity of the tackle but in truth it was a 50-50 and the ball was there to be won. The stretcher wasn't required as the Arsenal midfielder made a miraculous recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Llallana is a good player but we could get better quality probably for cheaper. Would like Shaw but unlikely, think a winger is what we need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gmol wrote: »
    Llallana is a good player but we could get better quality probably for cheaper. Would like Shaw but unlikely, think a winger is what we need

Well that's it. Is Lallana better than say Konoplyanka or Firmino? Both of whom would be cheaper most likely (and younger). Obviously with Lallana you know what you are getting. There is always the small chance that a foreign player might not settle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Sturridge is playing as the LW, with Rooney the main man up top. Gerrard and Hendo in similar roles as they play for us. Sterling RW and Johnson RB.

Not wanting to play Rooney deeper and sacrificing a CM, is probably what is seeing Sturridge out wide. Unlucky that the leading English goal scorer can't get a game as the CF.

I wonder did woy tell wayne to play in the suawez wole?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Bh-dbIkIEAA80QZ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

5starpool wrote: »
    I liked the last sentence of this bit in the Liverpool Echo match report of the England game:

I think Wilshere just has some kind of balance problem....or secret grass sniffing addiction as he spends that much time on the ground.

I am surprised Agger came through it in one piece though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Goal for Sturridge and MOTM for Sterling? Wahey!

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    I'd assume a club borrowing to pay wages would be outside the rules! AFAIK only debt for stuff like stadium redevelopment is allowable.

Yea would assume so. What I'm unsure about is what year that would be recorded in, and whether debt accrued is carried over. If it is, that could potentially hamstring clubs for years. Had FFP been introduced earlier, would carrying over debt rule Portsmouth out today because of their spending five years ago? Not that Portsmouth will be worried about Europe, just using them as an example

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Augmerson wrote: »
    Goal for Sturridge and MOTM for Sterling? Wahey!

More importantly....no reports of injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Turned on the England game last night just in time to see Sterling play a lovely ball over the top for Rooney which he made a hames of.
    Both commentators talked about Wayne's marvellous run with no mention of Sterling.
    Turned it off!
    Nice Goal from Sturridge though. Great cross from Lallana according to SSN, this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

More importantly....no reports of injuries

Clive Teadsley put the proverbial up me though, he kept insisting Sturridge had hurt himself trying to keep the ball in play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Clive Teadsley put the proverbial up me though, he kept insisting Sturridge had hurt himself trying to keep the ball in play.

That drove me nuts, Sterling/Sturridge and Gerrard all needed to do better, but the sun shined out of Rooney's arse.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement