Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Turned on the England game last night just in time to see Sterling play a lovely ball over the top for Rooney which he made a hames of.
    Both commentators talked about Wayne's marvellous run with no mention of Sterling.
    Turned it off!

And on at least 2 occasions, Clive gave credit to Sturridge for great work, when it was in fact Sterling. Can he really not tell the difference? About 6 inches in height, and a completely diffferent running/playing style?

Henderson said that Sterling was fearless last night - that is the perfect word. Worked hard, tried lots of things, created changes, looked comfortable throughout, like a 50 cap player. That needs to be the England front 3 for the WC, ahead of Stevie, Wilshere and A N Other. Or playe Ox and Raheem as wide players and have a bloody go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

http://www.koptalk.co.uk/20140306913/liverpool-escape-potential-ffp-penalties.html

UEFA have announced that only the clubs who took part in this season's Champions League and Europa League are currently being assessed meaning the Reds will face no threat of sanctions this summer for failing to break even as they were not involved in either competition this season.

so thats that slight worry evaded :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Dickerty wrote: »
    That needs to be the England front 3 for the WC, ahead of Stevie, Wilshere and A N Other. Or playe Ox and Raheem as wide players and have a bloody go...

That or play no LFC players ,leave them at home so they can get a good rest and we can have a go at the PL next season :D

*if you can't tell...couldn't care less about the WC

Yeh, I got that! :)

I like seeing our players do well, even when they leave the club (unless for a rival).

I bet Agger was given a firm warning before yesterday's game to not tackle any of his Pool teammates!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

That or play no LFC players ,leave them at home so they can get a good rest and we can have a go at the PL next season :D

I dunno if boards would be a representative sample but a lot of people seem to dislike the world cup. I am the opposite, I love it....I even have 2 weeks leave planned to catch all the group games. :D

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I dunno if boards would be a representative sample but a lot of people seem to dislike the world cup. I am the opposite, I love it....I even have 2 weeks leave planned to catch all the group games. :D

WC only gets interesting for me when the knockout stages start. The groups are rarely interesting (for me). Now if Ireland were there that'd be a different story

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

How did Agger play?
    More than anything we need our defence rock solid from here on in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I'd like to see the Liverpool players do well, but not well enough for their respective nations to progress from the group stage so they're all on their holliers before the end of June and ready for pre-season training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Does all this FPP talk mean that we'll have feck all transfer funds in the summer?

Also, I would have thought that repaying debt wouldn't count against you. I mean repaying debt is very different to accumulating debt???

Repaying debt with a cash injection is as bad as accruing it in the eyes of FFP, I would say. Otherwise clubs could borrow money to buy players, and just have the owners pay it off. I believe the money the club 'borrowed' from FSG can potentially be written off as they consider it a write-off of the money spent by the previous owners on the stadium plans; investment in this area is not counted in FFP.

Dcully wrote: »
    How did Agger play?
    More than anything we need our defence rock solid from here on in.

He was ok, one cynical foul on Rooney to stop a break. but England largely played in front of their back 4. Kasper in goal was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Daemonic wrote: »
    I'd like to see the Liverpool players do well, but not well enough for their respective nations to progress from the group stage so they're all on their holliers before the end of June and ready for pre-season training.

Part of me would like Suarez to do something mental so that he would be banned from international football for a year, and vilified in the press again which scares off any potential suitors, and then he redeems his reputation next season with an even better showing than this season, finishing with 35 league goals, 12 in the CL, and 6 in each of the League and FA Cups.

Somewhat unlikely (the mental thing being the most likely), but still. Obviously I'd love for him to never do anything mental again while staying at Liverpool enjoying much success over the next 6 seasons before he leaves at 33 for a stint in the MLS or Uruguay or something. Even more unlikely though I suspect.

Paulegend wrote: »
    http://www.koptalk.co.uk/20140306913/liverpool-escape-potential-ffp-penalties.html

UEFA have announced that only the clubs who took part in this season's Champions League and Europa League are currently being assessed meaning the Reds will face no threat of sanctions this summer for failing to break even as they were not involved in either competition this season.

so thats that slight worry evaded :D

So our losses over the last 2 years are disregarded cause we were not in Europe - but will they not carry over when we are back next season? Don't they accumulate over a number of years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'll be supporting the Liverpool players playing for England same as I supported Spain when they had a number of Liverpool players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Repaying debt with a cash injection is as bad as accruing it in the eyes of FFP, I would say. Otherwise clubs could borrow money to buy players, and just have the owners pay it off. I believe the money the club 'borrowed' from FSG can potentially be written off as they consider it a write-off of the money spent by the previous owners on the stadium plans; investment in this area is not counted in FFP.

The "cost" that goes against FFP is the cost of buying players (amortised over the length of their contract).

The taking out of debt and the repayment of debt do not count towards the calculation. Only the interest paid on debt will hurt us in terms of FFP

5starpool wrote: »
    Part of me would like Suarez to do something mental so that he would be banned from international football for a year, and vilified in the press again which scares off any potential suitors, and then he redeems his reputation next season with an even better showing than this season, finishing with 35 league goals, 12 in the CL, and 6 in each of the League and FA Cups.

Somewhat unlikely (the mental thing being the most likely), but still. Obviously I'd love for him to never do anything mental again while staying at Liverpool enjoying much success over the next 6 seasons before he leaves at 33 for a stint in the MLS or Uruguay or something. Even more unlikely though I suspect.

I hope he kung kicks Hodgson in the face at fulltime after scoring two hatricks to destroy England.

England out, Suarez banned. Win win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The "cost" that goes against FFP is the cost of buying players (amortised over the length of their contract).

The taking out of debt and the repayment of debt do not count towards the calculation. Only the interest paid on debt will hurt us in terms of FFP
    Also, the previous years loss was inflated by £35M because of the write-down of the Stanley Park stadium plan. If infrastructure spending isn't counted toward FFP, then the real lost for that year was only £15M.

I think people are making a mountain out of a mole hill about this. If we have slightly fallen afoul of Financial Fair Play, then there are another 50 clubs in Europe who are in much worse shape than we are.

Also, I am sure there are accounting tricks that can be used to make sure we comply with regulations. Look at PSG - they will probably meet FFP because they got a very convenient sponsorship deal worth €200M from an Arab royal family. Same thing happened with Man City, who got a bumper deal from an Arab owned airline.

Our owners are smart, and they are for a sustainable model for the club, I am sure UEFA can see that and I have no concerns whatsoever that we will be punished in any remotely significant way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Not altering this squad in the last transfer window has galvanised this team and I think we should continue with this policy in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Our Year wrote: »
    Not altering this squad in the last transfer window has galvanised this team and I think we should continue with this policy in the summer.

Rodgers is a football genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Certainly makes England a lot easier to support with so many Liverpool players. If that team plays in the World Cup I'll get behind them.

• Advertisement

So our losses over the last 2 years are disregarded cause we were not in Europe - but will they not carry over when we are back next season? Don't they accumulate over a number of years?

yea they will be taken into account from 2015/16 season but at least by then we will be in a healthier financial position so we should pass the ffp by then. this years accounts (may 2014) are apparently going to look a lot better than the ones just released and thats before prize money for league finish. with champions league revenue then next season we should be well in line with the ffp hopefully.

i think we might have been ok anyway though as the losses include money paid on "infrastructure and youth investment" which is an acceptable loss under the guidelines so all that would have to be removed from the accounts when looking at whether we passed the ffp or not. by the sounds of it we lost about 80 ish million in the last 2 years but if we spent 35+ million (as 45 million is able to be written off by the owners) on anything to do with infrastructure or youth development then we are fine

Tusky wrote: »
    Certainly makes England a lot easier to support with so many Liverpool players. If that team plays in the World Cup I'll get behind them.

Not for me.

With any luck they'll be dumped out early and the Liverpool players can get a nice rest.

yea they will be taken into account from 2015/16 season but at least by then we will be in a healthier financial position so we should pass the ffp by then. this years accounts (may 2014) are apparently going to look a lot better than the ones just released and thats before prize money for league finish. with champions league revenue then next season we should be well in line with the ffp hopefully.

And the new tv money, and inceased money from StanChar after renegotiation, and Garuda and others. They have done an excellent job in turning that expense/income corner...

And the new tv money, and inceased money from StanChar after renegotiation, and Garuda and others. They have done an excellent job in turning that expense/income corner...

people have said it before that when it comes to business things Ayre is a genius. really wish we had someone to do the footballing side of things for him but financially he knows what he is doing. its a relief given how close we where to the dooms day scenario a couple of years back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

rarnes1 wrote: »
    With any luck they'll be dumped out early and the Liverpool players can get a nice rest.

The major overhead timewise for the players is before the World Cup and during the group phase, the 4 week lead-in (training camps, multiple friendlies and acclimatisation) and then the 2 weeks competing in the group phase.
    Tagging another week onto that for a Last 16 and quarter final game (or another incredibly unlikely week for a semifinal and 3rdplaceplayoff or final) is small enough in the grand scheme anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Yea would assume so. What I'm unsure about is what year that would be recorded in, and whether debt accrued is carried over. If it is, that could potentially hamstring clubs for years. Had FFP been introduced earlier, would carrying over debt rule Portsmouth out today because of their spending five years ago? Not that Portsmouth will be worried about Europe, just using them as an example

I'm not sure how focused it is on actual debt, seems to be more losses to me. So we'll have to cut our losses from the last few years accounts, which we have done. I suppose it stops City or Chelsea running up huge losses because of massive wage bills bigger than actual turnover, and rich owners subsidising it.

So for the likes of a Portsmouth with legacy debt from 2008, it probably isn't going to mean much. It should help in stopping another Portsmouth in a couple of years time.

Clubs that get relegated might have problems because they don't get PL money but they get big parachute payments to offset that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I think so, but Liverpool will be able to point out that the figures are improving. I posted a link to a blog the other day that explains the reasoning. When Liverpool take into account community spending of about £10 Million annually the losses are fine, and clubs can also allow for player contracts pre June 2010.

This years accounts will be much better with about £35 Million in increased revenues, mainly from TV money.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The major overhead timewise for the players is before the World Cup and during the group phase, the 4 week lead-in (training camps, multiple friendlies and acclimatisation) and then the 2 weeks competing in the group phase.
    Tagging another week onto that for a Last 16 and quarter final game (or another incredibly unlikely week for a semifinal and 3rdplaceplayoff or final) is small enough in the grand scheme anyway.

Remember if we finish 4th there'll be a massive qualifier to play. Any extra days rest will be beneficial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Remember if we finish 4th there'll be a massive qualifier to play. Any extra days rest will be beneficial.

That's why we're not gonna get 4th, we'll get 3rd instead ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Vicxas wrote: »
    That's why we're not gonna get 4th, we'll get 3rd instead ;)

wrong. We are champions elect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭comewatmay

So if we sign konolyanka in January out loss would have been in the region of 70m??

• Advertisement

comewatmay wrote: »
    So if we sign konolyanka in January out loss would have been in the region of 70m??

no. they where last years accounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

The extra donut revenue will solve these loss's.

Anyone wrote: »

maybe not but the extra donuts revenue plus the training kit revenue plus the airline partnership plus the foreign tv deal plus the car partnership does!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I can see holes in your donut theory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I still see a hole in your theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I see a Kate Cohen in your hole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Argh that's what I get for having tabs open too long before replying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Knex. wrote: »
    I see a Kate Cohen in your hole.

Eh......what? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

NukaCola wrote: »
    Eh......what? :pac:

I am so not down with the kids and their slang these days.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Wilsheres foot was broke in that collision with Agger.

could have gone either way between him and Agger .

just one of those things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Ah come on!

Kate Cohen, the ultimate meme on this thread?

The lads repeated the same Donut joke, seemingly another meme in this thread.

I just referenced one with the other :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Agueroooo wrote: »

:confused:

EDIT: only seeing this now, I thought i'd heard this morning that he was fine

obviously not

Agueroooo wrote: »

Agger aiding our push for the top 3 :D

Agger had the ball. Wilshere got hurt

no one had the ball - Agger had a first touch of a train and lost it.

50/50 challenge with Agger getting there a split second earlier.

as i said it could have gone either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

How did he have ball? It's a 50/50 challenge but Agger didn't have it, he took a poor touch and it ran away from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Wilshere missed the ball and kicked Agger's foot... his own fault.

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    How did he have ball? It's a 50/50 challenge but Agger didn't have it, he took a poor touch and it ran away from him.

agger "had" the ball. the ball got away from him. he tried to recover while jack tried to capitilise. 50/50 challenge by two injury prone players in an international friendly. wilsehere never touched the ball and agger did. if anything that would have been a free for agger

• Advertisement

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Wilshere missed the ball and kicked Agger's foot... his own fault.
    agger "had" the ball. the ball got away from him. he tried to recover while jack tried to capitilise. 50/50 challenge by two injury prone players in an international friendly. wilsehere never touched the ball and agger did. if anything that would have been a free for agger

do you just look for something to 'go against' in every thread????

no one said it was anyone's fault

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement