Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning post#7005

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Vicxas wrote: »
    Ah paullegend

You loveable scamp :)

my opinions get the better of me sometimes. that along with my inability to just walk away:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

BenThere wrote: »
    Nah, it's standard stuff that the new contact includes a clause that all previous contracts are rescinded and the parties confirm that they forego any claims they may have had under the old contract.

It's not an issue any more.

Ya exactly and..

I don't think it as black and white as Henry said he was just not selling. He's saying that for a bit of PR buzz its fairly obvious. The PFA looked at his contract and sided with Liverpool, its ridiculous to think Liverpool were wrong or doing something illegal. If Suarez really wanted to go as it looked like he did, he would have had his lawyers study that contract and look for a way out.

Its all history though, Suarez is here and is repaying us in goals and hopefully a first ever premier league title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

rob316 wrote: »
    Ya exactly and..

I don't think it as black and white as Henry said he was just not selling. He's saying that for a bit of PR buzz its fairly obvious. The PFA looked at his contract and sided with Liverpool, its ridiculous to think Liverpool were wrong or doing something illegal. If Suarez really wanted to go as it looked like he did, he would have had his lawyers study that contract and look for a way out.

Its all history though, Suarez is here and is repaying us in goals and hopefully a first ever premier league title.

Imagine if Suarez leaves. How in the name of bejaysus are we going to replace him?

He'll have scored about 30 PL goals and assisted about 15 before this season ends.

It's just impossible to put a price on or replace that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

djPSB wrote: »
    Imagine if Suarez leaves. How in the name of bejaysus are we going to replace him?

He'll have scored about 30 PL goals and assisted about 15 before this season ends.

Irreplaceable. Suarez is Suarez. For me he is easily in the top tier of footballers playing in the world right now. If he left I'd be genuinely gutted, love seeing him play. Love seeing him score. If Bale was worth 80 something million, Suarez is definitely 100+ million.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Impossible to replace..yes, to price though...somewhere north of £100m and if we get CL then its £120m (just typing that shows how mental football has become - seeing as how first record I remember (albeit British) is Liverpool selling Rush for £3.2m - and that was insane back then )

Impossible to replace..yes, to price though...somewhere north of £100m and if we get CL then its £120m (just typing that shows how mental football has become - seeing as how first record I remember (albeit British) is Liverpool selling Rush for £3.2m - and that was insane back then )

But even if we get £120m, it will be difficult to sign players that will adequately fill the gap.

Wouldn't like to us to do a Spurs on it and try to sign 6 players to replace one.

Bale has 10 goals and 10 assists in the league which is pretty good considering he's been injured for parts of the season.

Suarez has 24 goals and 10 assists.

So therefore Suarez is worth 204% more than Bale.

£90m x 2.4 = £204m :P

But even if we get £120m, it will be difficult to sign players that will adequately fill the gap.

Wouldn't like to us to do a Spurs on it and try to sign 6 players to replace one.

Fully agree, he'd be impossible to replace, but we've done it before (Rush-Aldridge , Torres/Suarez) we'll do it again. I have a gut feeling that we may get one more season out of Suarez IF we get CL football and then he'll be on his way (having helped us qualify a second season).

And if that were to be the case then he will have earned his move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

Paulegend wrote: »
    my opinions get the better of me sometimes. that along with my inability to just walk away:o

You need to spend more time on that other forum you joined recently
    It trains the mind to think straight and not divert or troll or wind fellow posters up.:D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If Suarez does go, I'll be amazed if it is for more than 65m, which is obviously still a ridiculously mental price for a footballer, any footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

5starpool wrote: »
    If Suarez does go, I'll be amazed if it is for more than 65m, which is obviously still a ridiculously mental price for a footballer, any footballer.

Guarantee it'll be closer to 100M than 50M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Bale has 10 goals and 10 assists in the league which is pretty good considering he's been injured for parts of the season.

Suarez has 24 goals and 10 assists.

So therefore Suarez is worth 204% more than Bale.

£90m x 2.4 = £204m :P

Correction....90m x 2.04

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Vicxas wrote: »
    Guarantee it'll be closer to 100M than 50M

Confident enough to pose naked for a picture in front of the GPO if you're wrong?

With a Kate Cohen in a hole?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

noodler wrote: »
    Correction....90m x 2.04

Actually I think the correction should really be on the 204% which surely should have been 240%, which would leave the other figure at 2.4.

2 wrongs and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭slingerz

the precedents exists with Ronaldo and Bale. Suarez's stats this year prove his level. If anything he is a little older than those two were but still his stats count for much more

• Advertisement

I stand by my predictions. I am willing to wager the sum of thruppence ha'penny with anyone willing to take me on. If one doesn't have that sum of money then we should wager for coolness points, 2 of mine vs 2 of yours. the 65m is denominated in queens money, not euro.

/slaps everyone's face with my glove in a disdainful manner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

mayordenis wrote: »
    Actually I think the correction should really be on the 204% which surely should have been 240%, which would leave the other figure at 2.4.

2 wrongs and all that.

True.
    I stand by my predictions. I am willing to wager the sum of thruppence ha'penny with anyone willing to take me on. If one doesn't have that sum of money then we should wager for coolness points, 2 of mine vs 2 of yours. the 65m is denominated in queens money, not euro.

Ouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

A duel!

a-gentlemens-duel.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lucas will play tonight - for the U21s! They are away to West Ham at 7 pm.

edit - and Sakho too by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

I only have 2 Farthings on me at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

mike65 wrote: »
    Lucas will play tonight - for the U21s! They are away to West Ham at 7 pm.

Sakho too! Excellent news, looks like we will have a full squad bar enrique to chose from for the run in. Its all falling nicely into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I'm sorry but 65m for Suarez would be an absolute steal. I would be disgusted with that price.

Ronaldo went for 80 pre the days when mental prices went up a notch, pre- PSG, Monaco and City.

They guy is producing a season on par with that Ronaldo 40-goal season, albeit not playing in Europe.

Bale went for 90m when producing a season on par with Suarez's last. Suarez has stepped that up a level this season.

By any metric Suarez is worth at least 100m.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

You are also assuming that all the money would be invested back into the team
    When United sold Ronaldo I think most of it went into the owners bank account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Stop talking about Suarez leaving.

All of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

A good article here about Liverpools finances by Si Steers, for those with an interest in that side of the club.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/03/painting-numbers/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

5live wrote: »
    A good article here about Liverpools finances by Si Steers, for those with an interest in that side of the club.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/03/painting-numbers/

Good article that, and the one on Borini - they really love him up there!
    I hope we give him a chance, we could do with an impact striker. S&S won't always be operating at 100%...

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Confident enough to pose naked for a picture in front of the GPO if you're wrong?

With a Kate Cohen in a hole?

Lads, if you's wanna see that then I pity you ;)

So then

Chelsea/Spurs - win, lose or draw?

Arsenal v Everton (FA Cup) win, lose or draw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

So then

Chelsea/Spurs - win, lose or draw? Draw

Draw

More games the better

• Advertisement

Id love a draw, but itll probably be a chelsea win :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

So then

Chelsea/Spurs - win, lose or draw?

2 Draws please. I think Chelsea will make sh!t of them to be honest.

The sensible me wants a draw in the Spurs/Chelsea game, or else a Chelsea win, but there is no result there that would be all bad for us. A draw is the best of both worlds, but considering Chelsea only have 2 or 3 games that they shouldn't routinely win, and this is one of them, a Chelsea win would be a huge blow to our outside title hopes, and while a Spurs win would mean more pressure for top 4, it would give some more optimism for potential title talk, at least until the utd game next weekend.

Realistically, for us to win the title we need to get at least 25 points from our last 10 games, which is pretty optimistic in itself, but then expect Chelsea and City to drop 9 points in that time (10 perhaps for city depending on goal difference). It is a very big ask. It may happen, but it is definitely an outside chance. To win the title with an 8-1-1 run in our last 10 games we'd need 2 of the wins to be against Chelsea and City and then need to get other breaks as well.

FA Cup game, a draw would be best of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

The sensible me wants a draw in the Spurs/Chelsea game, or else a Chelsea win, but there is no result there that would be all bad for us. A draw is the best of both worlds, but considering Chelsea only have 2 or 3 games that they shouldn't routinely win, and this is one of them, a Chelsea win would be a huge blow to our outside title hopes, and while a Spurs win would mean more pressure for top 4, it would give some more optimism for potential title talk, at least until the utd game next weekend.

Realistically, for us to win the title we need to get at least 25 points from our last 10 games, which is pretty optimistic in itself, but then expect Chelsea and City to drop 9 points in that time (10 perhaps for city depending on goal difference). It is a very big ask. It may happen, but it is definitely an outside chance. To win the title with an 8-1-1 run in our last 10 games we'd need 2 of the wins to be against Chelsea and City and then need to get other breaks as well.

FA Cup game, a draw would be best of course.

I agree with most of that.

The nervy fan in me, used to years of disappointment, wants a draw in the SPurs vs Chelsea game.

But thinking about it coldly and rationally, without constantly envisaging the worst case scenario, these are the facts about us and Spurs:

- We are a better team overall
    - We have far outperformed them this season (more than the 6 points suggests)
    - We have less distractions (Spurs have Europa)
    - We have better recent form
    - We are 6 points ahead with a better GD (so essentially 6.5 points ahead)
    - We play them at home soon

We may never have a better chance to win the league. City and Chelsea will be more settled next year and will probably bolster their squads. Chelsea have been seriously hindered by lack of a decent striker, City are probably in need of another quality centre-back and perhaps better backup in central midfield. We will almost certainly not have the luxury of fighting largely on a single front come the business-end of the season in the future.

I know we are an outside shot this season, and I agree that 25 points will probably be the very least that is needed.

But we have a chance, and every little point might count when the 38 games are played.

So a Spurs win for me please.

Morzadec wrote: »

The nervy fan in me, used to years of disappointment, wants a draw in the SPurs vs Chelsea game.

But thinking about it coldly and rationally, without constantly envisaging the worst case scenario, these are the facts about us and Spurs:

We may never have a better chance to win the league. City and Chelsea will be more settled next year and will probably bolster their squads. Chelsea have been seriously hindered by lack of a decent striker, City are probably in need of another quality centre-back and perhaps better backup in central midfield. We will almost certainly not have the luxury of fighting largely on a single front come the business-end of the season in the future.

I know we are an outside shot this season, and I agree that 25 points will probably be the very least that is needed.

But we have a chance, and every little point might count when the 38 games are played.

Agreed..look up at who's ahead not at the chasing pack. This is as good a chance as we've ever had at landing the title. If we don't get it we'll be in the top 3/4 , but at least we gave it a shot.

Might have been mentioned already but Lucas and Sakho back in action tonight for the reserves.

I want Spurs to lose in truth but I'd take a draw - there is just something in the back of my head (not a socket!) that says they are a threat until they are not a threat so to speak. With the NLD next week I'd be happy to see them get nothing bar the odd point before they play Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I'd much prefer a draw to a spurs win. A draw OR a loss means we have a chance to go above Chelsea if we beat them at Anfield (provided we win our game in hand). Don't want spurs potentially level on points with us if we lose at OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

+1

• Advertisement

dzer2 wrote: »
    You need to spend more time on that other forum you joined recently
    It trains the mind to think straight and not divert or troll or wind fellow posters up.:D

i think the problem is more how im wording things. really i just say stuff to start debating it but it comes off more that im giving a lecture :D if anything i often feel like im the one been wound up lol. but yea i think a friendly environment over there might help me to change how i put things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Anyone on this thread who fancies themselves as a Liverpool Trivia guru and has an Android phone download the Quizup app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quizup.core, go into Settings -> Topics -> Soccer -> Liverpool FC and have a Trivia battle with someone else who thinks they know the subject matter. I just trounced two opponents but the questions can be a bit tricky e.g. how many clean sheets did Ray Clemence keep out of his six hundred and odd games for the club?

WARNING: It's addictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Im still amazed Spurs are so close to us, they have really managed to grind it out all season without showing any sort of form. Hopefully with there tough run in march we will see atleast 10 points between us by the end. I would be sick if Spurs some how beat us to 4th.

Paulegend wrote: »
    i think the problem is more how im wording things. really i just say stuff to start debating it but it comes off more that im giving a lecture :D if anything i often feel like im the one been wound up lol. but yea i think a friendly environment over there might help me to change how i put things

What!!?? Are you saying we aren't friendly.....

:p

Spurs are almost in a similar position to what we were last year.

Once we lost against Arsenal last season, our top 4 ambitions were all but over.

Spurs have two massive games over the next two weekends that will define their league season.

What!!?? Are you saying we aren't friendly.....

:p

:D never. maybe i just need an environment that doesnt make me paranoid lol should be a disclaimer when you sign up to this place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Spurs are almost in a similar position to what we were last year.

Once we lost against Arsenal last season, our top 4 ambitions were all but over.

Spurs have two massive games over the next two weekends that will define their league season.

We lost to Arsenal in Aug/September, unless you mean the season before?

If all goes against us Spurs could be level on points with ourselves and Arsenal on March 16th.

:(

On the flipside we could also be 9 points clear of them.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Not sure we are actually a better team overall than them
    We defo outshine them in a couple of key postions but I think their squad is better both in terms of first 11 personel and the depth of the squad.

Our big advantage is our current form and our manager ,I think they made a really poor choice in Sherwood ,and while results have been mainly postive from him they look awful and bereft of ideas.
    If they were to make a stong manager appointment in the summer I think they will challenge next season.

For that reason I want them to on paper run us as close as possible this season so that they give Tim (nice but Dim) another season.

So a Spurs win to keep the title dream alive and I want Spurs to finish strong and just outside the Top 4

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I

On the flipside we could also be 9 points clear of them.

:)

And have a game in hand (on top of the goal difference) :D

We lost to Arsenal in Aug/September, unless you mean the season before?

Yes sorry the season before when RVP destroyed us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement