Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jazzpunk

Options
  • 13-02-2014 2:23am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I just spent an hour or two with the funniest and strangest game I've played in a while, and that game is Jazzpunk.

It's hard to describe this one. You play a secret agent in a strange 1950s Tokyo, tasked with carrying out some general espionage. But the technicolour world is this cartoonish, ridiculous and nearly constantly surprising world of humour, surrealism and imagination. Click on something and you'll almost certainly uncover some leftfield gag, reference or side mission. I love the stylisation of the game, which includes a brilliant Saul Bass-esque opening sequence and delightfully abstract locales.

This is a game that frequently surprises, so best just to give it a whirl yourself if you're interested. I'd compare it to The Stanley Parable and Thirty Flights of Loving, although definitely offers more 'game' than the latter and as much fun and wit as the former. Give it a try. At the very least, you'd be hard pressed not to burst out laughing quite regularly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've only been able to play through a small amount of this, but it is the most bizarre and hilarious game I've played in years. Its utterly unique world oozes style and makes little to no sense, but still somehow makes perfect sense. Which in itself makes no sense!

If you play this and don't laugh, you have no soul! And probably smell. Go buy it, now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Ooh. I was wondering just how entertaining it would be. Seeing "Half a dozen jokes" as one of the key features on Steam was probably itself a joke, but you can't be too sure with all the dross getting published there lately. I may just have to pick it up then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I was sold by the time the fish with the number 3 on it flew across the screen.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

What I've heard of it says that it's basically 3 or 4 hours of a good laugh and shouldn't be taken as much more than that. I might grab it in a sale, but for the moment I have too much other stuff to play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd actually suggest it should be taken as something more than that! It's one of the most imaginative, vibrant game worlds I've had the pleasure to experience. I love reaching a new level and having all these new nooks and crannies to explore - and there'll be plenty of stuff hidden in them. It's an affectionate homage to and playful ridiculing of many gaming tropes, genres and quirks. But mostly it's an audio visual joy, offering a visceral, multicoloured world with a kick ass soundtrack.

And, as ever, give me a couple of hours of constant invention over 100s of hours of repetition or filler :) At a tenner or so, I'd definitely recommend giving it a chance and a few hours of your time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

currently $7.49 in the gog sale!

Advertisement