Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Backup for < 60 Terabytes of data

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well, Amazon glacier is the first thing that sprung to mind but its archival storage, the kind of thing I would recommend for old video say you want to keep that is more than 60 days old, but for up to 1-2 years say. Glacier storage is cheap, but retrieval times are lethargic and can be a matter of hours: an automated system has to physically retrieve the hard disk from storage and rack it to a live server in order for the data to be accessed.

http://aws.amazon.com/glacier/

With the cost of storage coming down all the time though, yes, the cheap option really is to collect the data and store it locally. A WD 4TB should cost you around, $200? I mean you'd be looking at 4,000 for such a system, at the present time. Glacier would cost around €660-700 per month @ .011 cent per GB Ireland. And that doesn't include cost of retrieval, while upload is fee retrieval is assessed a fee. After a year, local hardware proves most effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Have you calculated the upload speed you would require to upload 1TB of data along with the overhead of associated packet headers and retransmissions of dropped packets?

• Advertisement

FSL wrote: »
    Have you calculated the upload speed you would require to upload 1TB of data along with the overhead of associated packet headers and retransmissions of dropped packets?
    he did say dont worry about the upload bandwidth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

1TB takes 30 hrs at 100mbit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Had a feeling something didn't add up, not that many SMEs likely to have access to that sort of upload.
    Is all the video to be captured, what about motion detect, is that not built in to the recording system?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Condi wrote: »
    I guessed you might have a lot going on, but even so, with a bit of thought, might be possible to hone the parameters with custom motion zones, prerecording etc to ensure you are only recording useful information and not noise.

As for storage being cheap, well it was going to be until 2 years ago and all that changed suddenly, it is barely recovered to 2012 prices but cloud prices are not likely to match onsite for a good while. You are at the SAN level at 10Tb+

Actually I found an online calculator which with your parameters gives a more respectable 3Tb per week or 25Tb for 60 days

Plenty of other info on there, might be worth asking them for some advice even if they are in the US. Not a recommendation just a google result.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

AWS S3?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DaveR1000

as mentioned - local h/w is the best option here. nothing too fancy as its only for storage: - controller - jbod and mgmt host, then iscsi over ethernet - :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Stay well away from BitCasa anyway... I used to use them for ages until they increased their prices from €8 to €99 PER MONTH!!! Yeah you heard right, an increase of €91! They wanted to grandfather me into it but that meant I wouldn't receive future updates, avoid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I think you are drastically over estimating your storage requirements. You don't need full time record for a start. With a bit of work and planning, motion record will be perfect. If set correctly you should have very little recording over night, assuming the building in unoccupied at that time.

Most installers are still in the analogue age, I don't know many that are doing IP.

I recently finished a 25 ip camera install with the requirement for 40 days of retention, there is a lot of work to setting it up optimally, in fact just this week I have retweeked things.

Feel free to ask any questions

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is offsite an absolute requirement? Or would storage inside a safe work? Like iosafe?
    Does the data on it need to be protected from theft, or from fire/water?

Whats the modern take on Digital Tape Backups? LTO Tapes according to wikipedia hold about 2.5 TB each and 160MB/s speed, with future plans to expand the format for 6.4TB and 12.8TB tapes. You could do UPS drops to offsite storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

have you considered just moving all your server hardware and storage needs offsite and then stream the video data from your business to the offsite location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 O_L

Do you mind me asking what solution you went with in the end? Have you heard of Datto?

Advertisement