Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Broadband Options - Ardee

Options
  • 13-02-2014 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭

My phone line is currently not suitable for broadband (split / shared) and cannot upgrade currently. So that rules out conventional broadband via the phone line - Eircom, Vodafone, Sky etc

I have also been in touch with Net1 but there are trees in the way - so my location doesn't have a clear line of sight to the transmitters near by.

It only really leaves me with mobile broadband and satellite broadband? Both have their flaws. Ping speed is somewhat important so that can rule out satellite - plus the price / set up cost is crazy.

Is mobile (3, Vodafone etc) the only solution I have left or is there any other alternatives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

thewools wrote: »
    My phone line is currently not suitable for broadband (split / shared) and cannot upgrade currently. So that rules out conventional broadband via the phone line - Eircom, Vodafone, Sky etc

I have also been in touch with Net1 but there are trees in the way - so my location doesn't have a clear line of sight to the transmitters near by.

It only really leaves me with mobile broadband and satellite broadband? Both have their flaws. Ping speed is somewhat important so that can rule out satellite - plus the price / set up cost is crazy.

Is mobile (3, Vodafone etc) the only solution I have left or is there any other alternatives?
    Any way to get the responsible trees cut? Also, complain to local politicians and put a post on the Talk to: eircom forum http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1293 and kick up a stink there. Normally it's not hard nowadays to get that removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Any way to get the responsible trees cut? Also, complain to local politicians and put a post on the Talk to: eircom forum http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1293 and kick up a stink there. Normally it's not hard nowadays to get that removed.

Too many trees in the way I'm afraid...

The problem is that my phone line is split / shared and there is no more capacity to install new line (so I've been told). My 3 neighbors all have broadband (via phone line) - efibre too - whereas I cannot :mad: So frustrating

Don't think complaining to Eircom or politicians will do any good! :rolleyes:

Too many trees in the way I'm afraid...

The problem is that my phone line is split / shared and there is no more capacity to install new line (so I've been told). My 3 neighbors all have broadband (via phone line) - efibre too - whereas I cannot :mad: So frustrating

Don't think complaining to Eircom or politicians will do any good! :rolleyes:
    It's worked for other people in the past. It's a case of trying that, ordering a new phone line (what people say about capacity and what the truth is, are two different things) and insisting it be capable for broadband or else just giving up and going to get a mobile dongle.

It's worked for other people in the past. It's a case of trying that, ordering a new phone line (what people say about capacity and what the truth is, are two different things) and insisting it be capable for broadband or else just giving up and going to get a mobile dongle.

Tried ordering new phone line... didn't work out. Engineer came to house during this week and said that capacity is full and he hasn't the authority to run new line back.

Mobile dongle looks to be the only option :(

There is no other company similar to Net1 in the area?

Tried ordering new phone line... didn't work out. Engineer came to house during this week and said that capacity is full and he hasn't the authority to run new line back.

Mobile dongle looks to be the only option :(

There is no other company similar to Net1 in the area?
    I doubt it. Net1 has by far the most coverage. Ripplecom would be a possibility, perhaps... Though at least some of their sites are the same as Net1's.

A linesman may not be able to do much but lodging a complaint would probably at least get read by a manager somewhere! A linesman wouldn't have the authority to do it himself but that doesn't mean the area manager can't approve it. It's not hard to write a letter or telephone an official complaint with eircom, surely? You really don't have any choice unless you're happy to use unreliable mobile internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 gargomo

Hi,

I've the same issue, I can't get any broadband at home. My adress is : Countyview, Drakestown, Smarmore, ardee. Co. Louth.

Vodafone, eircomm said that my line doens't support broadband and I'm too far from the box.

How can I get that fixed? Should I order a new landline ?

Thank you for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Have a look at this site and you'll see what's available in your area.

Irelandoffline.org

Couldn't find what I was looking for :/

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

gargomo wrote: »
    Hi,

I've the same issue, I can't get any broadband at home. My adress is : Countyview, Drakestown, Smarmore, ardee. Co. Louth.

Vodafone, eircomm said that my line doens't support broadband and I'm too far from the box.

How can I get that fixed? Should I order a new landline ?

Thank you for your help.

You are very close to Mount Oriel in Smarmore, try Net1 http://www.net1.ie they provide fixed wireless from there, you need line of sight to get it, if you can't see Mount Oriel, they also have a mast across the N2 from you in a townland caled Milockstown (I think this is the correct name from memory), you would be less than 5 kilometers from both of these, I would be very surprised if they can't sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

hallo dare wrote: »
    OP has already stated that they cannot get Net1 due to trees in the way of the transmitters.

That isn't the OP that Net1 is being suggested to.

• Advertisement

Is wireless network reliable ? I mean can I get a decent latency, if I'll get like +200ms, it's not worth it.

Thanks for your replies.

gargomo wrote: »
    Is wireless network reliable ? I mean can I get a decent latency, if I'll get like +200ms, it's not worth it.

Thanks for your replies.

Net1 ping speed is very good and very reliable. We have it at work and it's generally leas than 50ms.. Pity I can't even get that :(

Advertisement