Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How good is Dacia range?

Options
  • 13-02-2014 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

I would like to purchase either Dacia Duster or DACIA Logan Estate for me and DACIA SANDERO Hatchbackfor my wife. But dont know anything about Dacia brand.

How good is Dacia range?

Is any of these available in Automatic transmission?

How is the maintenance and reliability. Any help greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

They are a new brand, so reliability is unknown. Common sense would suggest they would be ok at best. They are back by renault who dont have the best build quality in the world themselves, They are very cheap and plain and would probably install zero street credit or self confidence, probably really low on the scale of driving pleasure too, Cheap and all as they are I would imagine the depreciation on they will be chronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's a big thread on Dusters already here you can have a read of.
    As to general reliability for the brand I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Notch000 wrote: »
    They are a new brand, so reliability is unknown.

They are not a new brand, been selling over in eastern europe for years.

Cheap and cheerful cars, the new ones are quite reliable but very cheap. I'd prefer to buy a second hand car myself unless you really need a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TestLink

Thanks guys...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Notch000 wrote: »
    They are a new brand, so reliability is unknown. Common sense would suggest they would be ok at best. They are back by renault who dont have the best build quality in the world themselves, They are very cheap and plain and would probably install zero street credit or self confidence, probably really low on the scale of driving pleasure too, Cheap and all as they are I would imagine the depreciation on they will be chronic.

....all conjecture unless you've owned one.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Think Renault, shudder.

Now think budget Renault, :-0

That's like aldi opening a down market shop ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

gallag wrote: »
    Think Renault, shudder.

Now think budget Renault, :-0

That's like aldi opening a down market shop ffs.

Not fair, some Aldi stuff is quite good!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Not fair, some Aldi stuff is quite good!

That's the point, some aldi stuff is Ok, but imagine them opening a new budget outlet for stuff not good enough to sell in aldi. Some things, like Renault don't need a budget brand lol.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This one didn't survive long - it got totalled in Bunratty yesterday.

1925159_601941466542795_1183646285_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Pfft... wouldn't see a Golf give in like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Would have bounced off the roof of a Saab.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭dmc17

BGZv_0mCEAAQ6FM.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

I'd say it's a case of "do the maths". If they sell for 15k or less, and that encompasses c.a.30% tax, that's around the 10k mark, ish. The dealer takes a grand or two, so 8k, it costs 500 to ship it..that's 7.5k..they need to make a bob or two, so 4k, with adds, R&D, overheads, blah blah,there's fixed costs like tyres..so they're making them for 2-3k tops. How much car does 2-3k make? Not too much, I'm guessing. It gets worse on the Sandero, those must cost about the price of a toaster to make.

It's like people buying a €100 welder. If you do the math, they're making them for a tenner. How much welder can you make for a tenner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

I'd say it's a case of "do the maths". If they sell for 15k or less, and that encompasses c.a.30% tax, that's around the 10k mark, ish. The dealer takes a grand or two, so 8k, it costs 500 to ship it..that's 7.5k..they need to make a bob or two, so 4k, with adds, R&D, overheads, blah blah,there's fixed costs like tyres..so they're making them for 2-3k tops. How much car does 2-3k make? Not too much, I'm guessing. It gets worse on the Sandero, those must cost about the price of a toaster to make.

It's like people buying a €100 welder. If you do the math, they're making them for a tenner. How much welder can you make for a tenner?

Ever heard of Economies Of Scale? :P

Sobanek wrote: »
    Ever heard of Economies Of Scale? :P

I have. I also see Ford losing their hole financially on dearer cars, Saab closing, etc etc. So, to make money, at those prices, they make em cheap. Cheap means cheap stuff. Cheap stuff wears badly. That's just my tupence. I'd rather a used dear car tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I test drove one a few weeks ago as their is a Renault dealer right by where I live and I guess I was morbidly curious. :pac:

It is very spacious and the 1.5dci engine was not bad actually. They've been in Renaults for years with few issues so I was perfectly satisfied with that. It was quite comfortable too and rode the bumps pretty well.

The build quality is utterly atrocious though, the one I drove had a lovely big slab of cheap plastic, it looked awful. The road noise was awful and the clutch felt very strange. My 13 year old Hyundai Coupe is a better place to sit. I was shocked actually that a 2014 car could look so drab and cheap inside.

And there are some serious issues over its NCAP ratings I understand. I wouldn't want to be wheeling kids around if I had concerns over how safe my car was.

I'd rather buy a used XC90 if I wanted a practical SUV thats well built and safe. The Duster is definitely good value but cheap is not something i'd be looking for if I wanted a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

That's the point, some aldi stuff is Ok, but imagine them opening a new budget outlet for stuff not good enough to sell in aldi. Some things, like Renault don't need a budget brand lol.

Dacia. The Lidl of cars :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Dacia. The Lidl of cars :P
    Lidl occasionally have interesting ****e on offer...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I reckon residuals on them will be better than most people are predicting.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I reckon residuals on them will be better than most people are predicting.

You've changed your tune so Colm. We're you not rabidly anti-Dacia in the recent past?

• Advertisement

You've changed your tune so Colm. We're you not rabidly anti-Dacia in the recent past?

I'm kinda on the fence with them. I wouldn't buy one myself but I got a girl in work who was looking at 09 Qashqais to buy one.

My opinion on the residuals is not based on whether I like them. For someone in the market for a new car looking for long warranty and no frills motoring they're hard to beat. In the same way that Octavias make good money second hand they'll appeal to cheapskates who'll ironically pay over the odds.

I dislike when people dismiss them off-hand.

If my missus was looking for a shopping trolley that had to be new, I'd probably steer her towards a Sandero 0.9 tce.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

1925159_601941466542795_1183646285_n.jpg

He parked it their intentionally

whupdedo wrote: »
    He parked it their intentionally

bangernomics "spares or repair" next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

OP no auto available as of yet. With regards to the resale value, the most common call on the Dacia range is - "have you any used ones for sale?" Also, on the cost analysis quoted earlier, you can take out the dealer making a grand or two, there is zero profit for the dealer, the cost of PDi is just about covered.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

bangernomics "spares or repair" next week?

The wing mirror still looks fixable:rolleyes:

OP no auto available as of yet. With regards to the resale value, the most common call on the Dacia range is - "have you any used ones for sale?" Also, on the cost analysis quoted earlier, you can take out the dealer making a grand or two, there is zero profit for the dealer, the cost of PDi is just about covered.....

Then why bother? Warranty work expected to be high? Or spares very profitable? Genuine question.

She's a top of the range with fogs and all

whupdedo wrote: »
    The wing mirror still looks fixable:rolleyes:

Headlights ffs! Them headlights are in demand..I think even the sills bent..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

....the most common call on the Dacia range is - "have you any used ones for sale?"......

That's from people looking for one for nothing.

• Advertisement

That's from people looking for one for nothing.

I know of a twig-damaged one might be got cheap...

Advertisement