Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How good is Dacia range?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Then why bother? Warranty work expected to be high? Or spares very profitable? Genuine question.

Looking at the bigger picture I suppose, future servicing profits, having a model/price range to suit everyone coming in the door etc. Chance to up-sell to Renault?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

When the Aygo came out in 05 we had more margin on satnav, but it got people in the door.
    Same with the iQ, nobody bought them but they bought other stuff once we got them in the doors

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

gallag wrote: »
    Think Renault, shudder.

Now think budget Renault, :-0

That's like aldi opening a down market shop ffs.

Renault have definitely improved past the Germans in terms of reliability in the last 6 years, they are probably competing with Fiat to be Europe's most reliable car manufacturer these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Nixer Jim

Notch000 wrote: »
    They are a new brand, so reliability is unknown. Common sense would suggest they would be ok at best. They are back by renault who dont have the best build quality in the world themselves, They are very cheap and plain and would probably install zero street credit or self confidence, probably really low on the scale of driving pleasure too, Cheap and all as they are I would imagine the depreciation on they will be chronic.

With all due respect, that's the most ill informed nonsense I've read in a while.

They're not new. The company has existed for decades. They've been available across Europe for almost as long. The current range has been sold on continental Europe for the last decade.

Why would common sense suggest anything?

They're owned, not backed by Renault.

European residuals suggest they stand up pretty well.

I know all this because I bothered to find it out rather than make it up as I went along. If you don't know what you're talking about, probably better to say nothing at all ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

Nixer Jim wrote: »
    With all due respect, that's the most I'll informed nonsense I've read in a while.

They're not new. The company has existed for decades. They've been available across Europe for almost as long. The current range has been sold on continental Europe for the last decade.

Why would common sense suggest anything?

They're owned, not backed by Renault.

European residuals suggest they stand up pretty well.

I know all this because I bothered to find it out rather than make it up as I went along. If you don't know what you're talking about, probably better to say nothing at all ;-)

Shure, there's no fun in that. Winging it is a challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

This one didn't survive long - it got totalled in Bunratty yesterday.

1925159_601941466542795_1183646285_n.jpg

This picture makes the front page of tomorrows Irish Mirror. They must be good so.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Then why bother? Warranty work expected to be high? Or spares very profitable? Genuine question.

It is to gain a new customer who will keep coming back for servicing. It is the Ryanair business model. Give them a cheap seat, and get them on the baggage etc

It is to gain a new customer who will keep coming back for servicing. It is the Ryanair business model. Give them a cheap seat, and get them on the baggage etc

That needs economies of scale to work though. :D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Renault have definitely improved past the Germans in terms of reliability in the last 6 years, they are probably competing with Fiat to be Europe's most reliable car manufacturer these days.

Below are Swedish car inspection results for three year old models gathered in 2012 of which does not appear to agree, although maybe there has been massive improvement since 2009 model year. The second column is the percentage of fails and the third the kilometers on the clock. The 2009 Megane estate diesel was the worst model in terms of results with 27.4 percent of cars failing. The best car, which was Octavia (no Superb), had 0.0 percent of fails. The average was 2.7 percent. The best Renault, Megane petrol hatch was 111th. Incidentally Sandero happened to be the second worst model so does not bear well for Dacia.

http://www.hs.fi/autot/Ruotsin+katsastustilasto+3-vuotiaat+autot/a1305775976524

(sorry couldn't find the original Swedish version)

Is that like nct fails?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is that like nct fails?

It is. The NCTS equivalent over there is called "svenska bilprovning"

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

Simple really "you get what you pay for".:P

samih wrote: »
    It is. The NCTS equivalent over there is called "svenska bilprovning"

Not a real measure of reliability to be fair.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nixer Jim wrote: »
    .....European residuals suggest they stand up pretty well....

Any real evidence of this in relation to class best anywhere? I'd have thought the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

in romania 50% of the cars are dacias. And all of the taxis (dacia logans). They are driven hard and lots have over 200km on them. So reliability is good.

As regards the duster, I know a lot of people who have them for years, and love them. They are cheap to own, cheap to maintain.

Now in saying that, would I want one, no. But thats purely for snobby reasons :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4 speedcom

This picture makes the front page of tomorrows Irish Mirror. They must be good so.. :rolleyes:

Hi All,

It is good car. Low on fuel - 6.5L/100km and good traction. The only things I spot a little bit loud over 100km/h (wind) and dashboard not looking such as good as the more expensive cars. 5 years unlimited warranty is a good option as well. I didn't have any issue with it until Wednesday.

Yes, this one from picture is mine. I Hope to be sorted by insurance soon and next one will be the same. The most important nobody inside when all this happened.

Regards, Marcin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

speedcom wrote: »
    Hi All,

It is good car. Low on fuel - 6.5L/100km and good traction. The only things I spot a little bit loud over 100km/h (wind) and dashboard not looking such as good as the more expensive cars. 5 years unlimited warranty is a good option as well. I didn't have any issue with it until Wednesday.

Yes, this one from picture is mine. I Hope to be sorted by insurance soon and next one will be the same. The most important nobody inside when all this happened.

Regards, Marcin

Szczęście w nieszczęściu.

Glad to hear everyone's ok.
    Hope you get a new one soon ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Hi All,

Regards, Marcin

What happened? ?

What happened? ?

I'd have thought the pic would have been fairly self-explanatory :P
    Tree - Car - Tree fall on car

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

I'd have thought the pic would have been fairly self-explanatory :P
    Tree - Car - Tree fall on car

Yeah, but what set of circumstances lead to parking a car under a tree about to be felled lol

• Advertisement

Yeah, but what set of circumstances lead to parking a car under a tree about to be felled lol

I don't think he parked it under a tree that was going to be felled, then again......

Hi,

My Wife spooted through the window that wind broke few trees around and she tried to move the car from this car-park, but key for the car were stuck in her pocket (she always got few key rings +few tesco type cards, etc.) When she tried to open car she spoot the the tree start to collapse. She run to the building - 2 sec later there was no Dacia. Two other cars damaged as well. We still in little shock. Most important my wife and mother of our 9-months old boy is still with us. She feel realy shame about Dacia because we really like it. It was a car for our Son - quite high , so easy to operate with child-seat.

We have a lot of different cars in past so I can tell just that: If someone not expecting eqiupment or sport performance like an Audi, BMW or Land Rover (previously owned) this is absolutly good idea to buy one of this, brand new with 5-years warranty (5 years no issues if something happened) for a price of 3-4 years old others. This was our idea - no troubles by 5 years ;)

If someone need more info about Dacia I can give a few advices - 20.000 km done. Next one will be Dacia as well.

Regards, Marcin

Hi,

My Wife spooted through the window that wind broke few trees around and she tried to move the car from this car-park, but key for the car were stuck in her pocket (she always got few key rings +few tesco type cards, etc.) When she tried to open car she spoot the the tree start to collapse. She run to the building - 2 sec later there was no Dacia. Two other cars damaged as well. We still in little shock. Most important my wife and mother of our 9-months old boy is still with us. She feel realy shame about Dacia because we really like it. It was a car for our Son - quite high , so easy to operate with child-seat.

We have a lot of different cars in past so I can tell just that: If someone not expecting eqiupment or sport performance like an Audi, BMW or Land Rover (previously owned) this is absolutly good idea to buy one of this, brand new with 5-years warranty (5 years no issues if something happened) for a price of 3-4 years old others. This was our idea - no troubles by 5 years ;)

If someone need more info about Dacia I can give a few advices - 20.000 km done. Next one will be Dacia as well.

Regards, Marcin

tis a small little world. Lol.

Seen the story on The Irish Daily Mail Speedcom,
    Lucky escape! Thank god no one was injured
    Title reads " If I had not fumbled with my keys I would have been crushed"
    Scary stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Wouldn't buy one.
    "I can't afford to buy cheap things"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I know little about Dacia but I do know that they don't have the best Euro NCAP results.

www.euroncap.com

As for reliability, it's way too early to tell.

MJ23 wrote: »
    Wouldn't buy one.
    "I can't afford to buy cheap things"

What do you drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What do you drive?

Saab 93

MJ23 - I agree with You but everything depends what You need car for and what is your budget. I would like to drive something more sporty but I am father now ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

The interest in Dacia (especially Duster) is growing steadily. All the Ssangyong/Kia/Chevrolet/Daewoo/Fiat drivers (bought on price rather than JD Power reliability surveys) that don't care what spec it is just love the price point. If thats what you want great ! Its funny, some people really grow to love their cars despite how some of us enthusiasts might view them as ****eboxes. In fairness I don't think that Dacia are trying to pretend to be as good as their higher priced competitors, they're just appealing to the niche of A-> B drivers that really don't care what the neighbours say !

Rant over......:rolleyes:

Advertisement