Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris Bakery gone soon to make way for shopping centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Is this the new let them eat cake?

Ms Savill said: “Well, if the money isn’t there, how can you magic it out of the air?”

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/paris-bakery-workers-protesting-at-premises-for-third-day-1.1806706

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

It was reported yesterday:

Ruth Savill, one of the Paris Bakery’s two listed directors, told The Irish Times when contacted today she had not had any involvement with the business for the past six months.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/paris-bakery-staff-protest-at-moore-st-premises-for-second-day-1.1805564

Reported today:

Asked why it was out of the company’s hands, Ms Savill said she was not employed by the company, she said she was not in a position to make an official comment and that she was not involved in the company’s day-to-day business.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/protesting-paris-bakery-workers-owed-130-000-in-wages-1.1806706

So now she's claiming that she's had no involvement in the company (of which she's a director) for the last 6 months, and so can't make a comment. How then in February (only 3 months ago), was she in a position to speak to the Irish Times and seek publicity in order to try to keep the company in the premises?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/moore-street-bakery-to-close-with-the-loss-of-70-jobs-1.1689241

Seems to me that now that all this has come out of the woodwork; and all the public's recent Goodwill for the Paris Bakery is rapidly disappearing; she's doing her best to distance herself from the company. Sound of her.

Edit.

Also; there were posts towards the top of the thread which talked about the PB bringing unique charm to the city, that it was a landmark, that it had improved Moore Street, etc and so should be protected, etc etc - now that all this has come out will the posters still be as quick to defend it?

It's a very poor show by the PB management - they spun a yarn in February, railing against the evil corporate developers, etc. It's a good line that got the pubic on their side. They generated a lot of positive publicity for themselves, while casting NAMA, Chartered Land, DCC planners, etc in a bad light. However, it was all a shill, as it's now reported that some employees haven't been paid in 4 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Meh, it is very common for Directors to not be in anyway involved in companies in my experience of Irish business. You need two directors to form a company, so sometimes it is a partner or wife etc. Sometimes investors will place themselves or deputies on the board just for optics.

I don't see that particular point as being a big deal.

I get that you can have silent directors, and I've no problem with that. It's the 2-handedness of her carry-on that I don't like. In February (when Ruth Savill was campaigning to save her investment/directorship), she appeared to be fully involved. Now that the sh1t has hit the fan (and her investment/directorship is presumably unsalvageable), she's trying to disclaim her involvement.

You're either involved, or you're not. You can't pick-and-choose depending on how you feel the public sentiment will be towards you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The bakery is currently under occupation by the employees who are owed wages.

Quote from some one's FB page
    Ronan Burtenshaw

The owner of the Paris Bakery has left after refusing to sign a document committing to pay the workers the wages they are owed - which is at least €60,000.

Twenty-five are owed money in total, some since October. Anissa from Mauritius is beside me - over €6,000. Jordan on the other side has been working here for a whole month without receiving a cent. He's homeless, living on his friend's couch and has a bag of his possessions with him.

The workers have decided to stay and are stopping the owner removing any more saleable assets. Trade unionists from Mandate, reps from migrants rights groups and left-wing activists here in support.

More: https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/parisbakery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Paris Bakery in Dublin faces winding-up order
    Agribusiness & Food Colm Keena September 13, 2013, 01:00 http://dublinhub.blogspot.ie/2013/09/paris-bakery-in-dublin-faces-winding-up.html
    Directors’ loans to the company increased by €640,957 during the period, to reach €1 million by year’s end.

is Ruth Savill married to this guy http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2382647/Savill-recommends-solution.html ?

http://photos.racingpost.com/media/PETER-SAVILL-AND-FAMILY-enjoy-a-day-at-hamilton-park-races-L-R-Peter-and-ruth-savill-Thomas-Charlotte-Jessica-Lucy-/KuVE707EiR7UFUvRFP3D6g..a

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/localnotes/banks-turning-nose-up-at-tasty-business-plan-27851213.html photos seem to match

Peter Savill (56), another of Ireland's mega-rich who lives in County Wicklow, has a fortune of ?57 million. He made his fortune by publishing, creating and then selling a cruise ship magazine.
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/braypeople/news/seven-wicklow-residents-make-irelands-rich-list-26975856.html
    might be similar to that place in cork where the company might not have any more money but the owner does

also in term of media she former UK tv journalist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Trade union tv have a video up on YouTube of the workers lock in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pUO9uK3MHI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

lolo62 wrote: »
    Trade union tv have a video up on YouTube of the workers lock in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pUO9uK3MHI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

In Irish times it said only one shop employee was a union member. Unions love to jump on something like this for free publicity.
    If the wages are to be paid, it will be as a result of state run body through mediation and not with the help of a union

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

hfallada wrote: »
    In Irish times it said only one shop employee was a union member. Unions love to jump on something like this for free publicity.
    If the wages are to be paid, it will be as a result of state run body through mediation and not with the help of a union

..I guess, thanks? I don't have anything to do with the union though, just saw it on YouTube

hfallada wrote: »

lets hope it doesn't take 161 days to do that
    they need all the support they can get right now, very easy for the owners to run away or agree a deal and trick the workers out of money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Senior historians at the Imperial War Museum have called for Moore Street to be saved:
    Historians at the Imperial War Museum expressed 'bafflement' and 'shock' at "the destruction of what they called the last remaining battlefield site in Europe, and possibly the world".

Catherine Philips, senior researcher at the Imperial War Museum in London, said it would be "terrible" to destroy the buildings involved in the final siege and surrender during the Rising of 1916.

"I would save all of Moore Street as a battlefield site," Dr Philips told Local News. "If it was up to me, I would include the buildings, the cobblestones, and as much of the site as possible," adding that she was "deeply moved" to have been able to share the atmosphere of Moore Street and the surrounding battlefield area.

"Whatever you have left of that site, including Moore Street, you should keep as much as you can. If you're going to knock down number 18, why stop there? Why not pull up the cobblestones, destroy the whole battlefield site, destroy Dublin's heritage? It has to be one of your greatest assets, and that's speaking purely in commercial terms. Historically, it is beyond price."

Modern cities "are very good at pulling things down", but such a step, once taken, could not be reversed, she warned.

Senior historians at the Imperial War Museum have called for Moore Street to be saved:

Military Historians seek to promote military history. Surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Historians at the Imperial War Museum expressed 'bafflement' and 'shock' at "the destruction of what they called the last remaining battlefield site in Europe, and possibly the world".
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm very thankful that there's been no battlefields in Europe, or possibly the world, since 1916.

Oh, wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I don't necessarily disagree that the buildings should be somehow preserved, but they have already been mangled beyond repair and then neglected for the better part of 30 years. I'm not sure I understand the desire to leave this historic site as a dump? Let's ensure that the development requires that the site be restored somehow. I trust nobody is suggesting this is the way this place looked in 1916:
    71-MOORE-ST-DUBLIN-390x285.jpg

remember how this started http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/moore-street-bakery-to-close-with-the-loss-of-70-jobs-1.1689241 MigrantRightsCentre ‏@MigrantRightsIR 4h

We spoke to Ruth Savill; she's distancing herself from #parisbakery, says it's Yannick's business. This is from Feb

BokQ5S9CEAAT-KQ.jpg:small
    http://www.parisbakery.ie/_blog/Blog/post/save-18-19-moore-street/

http://www.localnews.ie/ saying there was an issue with the date of the buildings Is it true that they misdated 18 moore street http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil/CouncilPublications/Documents/MSAC_Appendix.pdf the poor quality of info public get

I don't necessarily disagree that the buildings should be somehow preserved, but they have already been mangled beyond repair and then neglected for the better part of 30 years. I'm not sure I understand the desire to leave this historic site as a dump? Let's ensure that the development requires that the site be restored somehow. I trust nobody is suggesting this is the way this place looked in 1916:
    71-MOORE-ST-DUBLIN-390x285.jpg

the desire to leave the place as a dump was the developer's and DCC's desire to fool gullible people like you into excepting any change

the desire to leave the place as dump was the developers and DCC desire to fool gullible people like you into excepting any change

Moore street has been run down since well before the developers entered the equation. But I love your winning technique to win hearts and minds to your campaign. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

remember how this started http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/moore-street-bakery-to-close-with-the-loss-of-70-jobs-1.1689241 MigrantRightsCentre ‏@MigrantRightsIR 4h

We spoke to Ruth Savill; she's distancing herself from #parisbakery, says it's Yannick's business. This is from Feb

largehttp://www.parisbakery.ie/_blog/Blog/post/save-18-19-moore-street/

Also from 2013: http://www.networkdublin.com/news/item?newsid=1176
    Ruth Savill - Paris Bakery and Pastry Ltd. - Businesswoman of the Year (Self Employed)

An empowered woman with business spirit and business acumen, Ruth has developed her business idea from concept to commercial success. This category was judged by public relations expert Sharon Bannerton who felt that Ruth made a conscious effort to go the extra mile, from sourcing raw materials to customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Boldberry

8<

Mod note: better quality of language and level of civility required in future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Moore street is a desperate street which is only fit to be bulldozed, I was walking there yesterday and it was full of junkies and horrible phone shops. This part of the city needs modernisation badly so some jobs can be created. Dublin already has more than it's fair share of black spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Tobyglen wrote: »
    Moore street is a desperate street which is only fit to be bulldozed, I was walking there yesterday and it was full of junkies and horrible phone shops. This part of the city needs modernisation badly so some jobs can be created. Dublin already has more than it's fair share of black spots.

I will agree with you on the phone shops but that is due to the nature of the leases available to people, some of the phone shops on the Ilac side are pretty good though

But I walk through Moore street at least twice a day at varying time and to say it is full of junkies is a gross exaggeration, the city centre has its problems with junkies gathering but Moore street doesn't have a major problem with it

You get one or two on occasion but rarely have groups hanging around

The street definitely needs a make over though, it would be nice if it was a considered one which had sympathy with the history of the area but this is unlikely to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

if what i read here and elsewhere is true, if it is true that

1. they knew when the lease was signed that it would expire in june 2014 and the building was marked for demolition after that
    2. they are guilty of tax evasion (read about a few hundred thousand euros)
    3. they just stopped paying their employees and generally treated them like ****

if all that is true, then i don’t get the whole commotion...and they would certainly not be the kind of people i would want to support or do business with anyway, and good riddance to them...having said that, i sort of liked the place and it was certainly a nice addition in an otherwise horrible area of dublin...

The street definitely needs a make over though, it would be nice if it was a considered one which had sympathy with the history of the area but this is unlikely to happen

Dubliners want the battlefield preserved; it will be preserved. People aren't so passive as they're made out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

Tobyglen wrote: »

true, moore street is horrible, but we certainly don't need another shopping center there...i’d much rather see moore street restored and preserved...these could be nice buildings, though saving them would probably by a truly major effort given the state they are in...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I can't understand why they were pocketing their employees tax and not paying it to Revenue. That is usually what businesses do when they are goi g to hit the wall but anytime I ever passed the bakery it was always pretty packed and I'm pretty sure they opened up during the recession so they aren't stuck in an upward only rent review type of lease, in fact I'd imagine their rent is pretty cheap as there are plenty of empty units on Moore St. I'm really scratching my head here, there seems to be little or no evidence of a business in trouble yet they owe Revenue some €200k. My only guess is that they ran into cash flow difficulties and their bank wouldn't give them an overdraft to cover it so they used money that was due to the revenue instead. It's still all a bit bizarre though, I feel for the staff and hope they get what they are owed, either that or start selling off the ovens so they can at least get something, I think one of them is owed €6,000.

Dubliners want the battlefield preserved; it will be preserved. People aren't so passive as they're made out to be.

There is no 'battlefield' to preserve on Moore street. There's the choice of preserving the last shop the rebels made it to, or re-establishing a facsimile of an entire row of shops that they knocked holes through while trying to make it to a completely different destination. No-one but a tiny minority of Dubliners either want, or care about this particularly pointless act of remembrance, when the city is chock-a-block with actual 1916 battle sites, where actual battles took place. Nothing of note happened on Moore street in 1916 - in stark contrast to pretty much every other 1916 site. The passivity about Moore street stems from it's inconsequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

alastair wrote: »
    There is no 'battlefield' to preserve on Moore street. There's the choice of preserving the last shop the rebels made it to, or re-establishing a facsimile of an entire row of shops that they knocked holes through while trying to make it to a completely different destination. No-one but a tiny minority of Dubliners either want, or care about this particularly pointless act of remembrance, when the city is chock-a-block with actual 1916 battle sites, where actual battles took place. Nothing of note happened on Moore street in 1916 - in stark contrast to pretty much every other 1916 site. The passivity about Moore street stems from it's inconsequence.

So where the leaders of the 1916 rising spent their last night of freedom is not of note, nor is the building where the surrender note was written...?

• Advertisement

It's an interesting point - what makes a place a battlefield. Not, apparently, machine gun posts and sniper nests that shot down The O'Rahilly and others as they charged…?

Advertisement