Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warriors Run 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Thanks everyone :)

I've stopped panicking. Sure what's the worst that can happen

<.<

I did part of this last night. Ran from the harbour bar, up to the cross, then back down to the point where it's a pretty much a vertical drop, and back to the harbour bar. It was just under 7km in total, it took me nearly an hour though :o

The positives however are these (let's focus on those shall we!):

The incline up to the bottom of the "hill" was fine.
    The climb up to the cross was manageable, albeit tough.
    I recovered quickly once I got to the top and was happy to keep running after the climb.
    I got back down the hill fairly comfortably.

It'll be graaaaaand. Sure as long as I get to the finish line before the straggler van gets me then I'll be satisfied :o

Thats great. On the race day youll be a lot more tired starting the climb and a lot lot more tired after it. With that in mind to progress that run, id extend the distance/effort before and after the Bray head climb so youre more fatigued before and after, particularly after. Really concentrate on technique going up and descending. A good technique when really tired will make life easier. If youre walking up with so much effort that technique suffers then ease back slighly to allow for it. Likewise descending should be relaxed/controlled. The fitness will come with tehse runs anyway. Doing them with good technique is a real 6 pointer as they say. These runs and youre long runs are youre most important now. Any other running should be very very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

My training is gone to pot, kids summer holidays has a lot to answer for, oh and the farm is a bit mental at moment too, running 10k comfortably at moment in approx 50 mins, did an 8k road race 2 weeks ago in 34 mins,
    Will get up to 14 k before race day and won't get to do course but what will be will be

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

T runner wrote: »
    After the higher gate I believe the private land that the Warriors site refers to ends. You could go towards the gates from the Cairn but harder finding the route backwards. Good point though. Another way to find the route is to climb the tourist trail through the gate at half way. After the gate there is a fence on the left hand side for about 50 metres. This then veers left. This fence is actually the same fence that the higher gate on the race route gains access through.

Following this fence left for a kilometer brings a runner through the narrow section on the race route and following it down brings the runner to the higher gate on the race route. One can start the climb from there without crossing private land.

I noticed that too about the fence. Got a bit disorientated going up one year training. followed the fence too far and ended up on the tourist route.

Will do one final run this weekend, not sure if full course or just the off road section though. Gaelforce next weekend, so final bit of training for that, bar a couple short light runs in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 merble

Folks

By any stroke of luck do any of you know of anyone with a place available for the race ? I missed registration and really want to run again this year. If you do could you drop me a PM ?

Best of luck on the day to you all !

Ken

Just put this race route together. Was up there a couple of times last week. There was a cow with calf close to the gate into the second field both times (Point B. in image) so I turned back on both occasions. Managed to get most of the race route in by following the fence from the tourist trail (just above new sleepers at point D: fence marked by a broken yellow line.)

Just to note. The first field is deceptively steep. Most will use a run/walk strategy for the mountain. Even if your legs are still able to run I would walk this field when it starts to get steep. Otherwise your strenght for the runnable sections later will be hampered and the overall climb time will be slower.

A way of looking at it is to pick sections which are not runnable beforehand and dont run them even if able. Ive marked the steepest sections with a curvy amber line to help. In reality on race day you may have to walk all the section from point B to E due to fatigue or congestion. Best to know this in advance.

If youre feeling good. Try and get ahead of mini groups on the runnable sections, so you can walk at your own pace and are not hampered. If youre not feeling great, hang in there!

Practising mountain walking this weekend will be invaluable. That is climbing up a steep climb with hands on knees. There will be walking up a mountain on race day so best to practice it before as part of a training run. You should incorporate some running on the road before and after the hill training part to best simulate race day conditions.
    Make sure especially to do some road work after the hill. Believe me your legs and body will thanks you come race day for that adaption.

15o9rt0.png

• Advertisement

Did 13km this evening which included climbing the Sugar Loaf mountain.

Feeling more confident now. Looking forward to it!

Limbs returning to normal after Saturdays Gaelforce, will be Thursday though now before getting a light run, but still pretty confident about the weekend.

Just hope the trail runners dry out before them, got absolutely caked in mud.

If still without a entry.

Check here: http://www.warriorsfestival.com/messageboard.php Regularly.

Thursday is the transfer deadline so its going to get busy between now and then. two places up there at the moment.

Did 13km this evening which included climbing the Sugar Loaf mountain.

Feeling more confident now. Looking forward to it!

Perfect prep both up and down. You're in good shape.

Last piece of advice.

Pacing: On the day there's a hill early on the road: from 500m to 1k. Go easy easy from the start of the race to the 1k marker.

At that stage youre warmed up and know what pace to do. Youll be passing runners all the way then. Many who started fast will already be going backwards.

Going to fast to 1k will cost you horribly. Steady effort to 1k and your race starts then.

Thank you for that. Pacing pacing pacing. I'll have to keep saying that to myself. I always do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

This is going to be deadly :)

• Advertisement

If still without a entry.

Check here: http://www.warriorsfestival.com/messageboard.php Regularly.

Thursday is the transfer deadline so its going to get busy between now and then. two places up there at the moment.

Perfect prep both up and down. You're in good shape.

Last piece of advice.

Pacing: On the day there's a hill early on the road: from 500m to 1k. Go easy easy from the start of the race to the 1k marker.

At that stage youre warmed up and know what pace to do. Youll be passing runners all the way then. Many who started fast will already be going backwards.

Going to fast to 1k will cost you horribly. Steady effort to 1k and your race starts then.

That first km is very deceptive. Alot do take of quick and get caught out. I try not to start my road race pace till over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Getting giddy now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Does anyone know the exact distance from the carpark to the finish?

Thanks.

6.5k from Carpark to finish.

Spreadsheet with course distances elevation changes etc attached for each segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

anyone know why they got rid of the King of the Mountain category? Not that id be in contention just thought it was a cool prize to give

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

6.5k from Carpark to finish.

Spreadsheet with course distances elevation changes etc attached for each segment.

Thank you, that's fantastic :)

LaGlisse wrote: »
    anyone know why they got rid of the King of the Mountain category? Not that id be in contention just thought it was a cool prize to give

I'm guessing its because (the years they ran it) the person who won the race also won the KoM category. The only year since they started having the timing Mats that this wasn't the case was the first year when Josphat Boit won, but Eoin Gahan won the KoM. Josphat has a PB of 28 mins for 10k and Eoin is savagely strong, so that was the anomaly there.

The lesson might be that how you do on the mountain is the most important determinant of how you do in the race. Another reminder to pace and be relatively frsh when you leave the tarmac!

I may have spotted someone in a technical tee today. Seen them this evening in what looked like a red warriors tee. Not a volunteers one as going by the Warriors Festival FB Page, theirs is green.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Best of luck to all Boardsie runners. I'll be floating about somewhere in a hi viz jacket giving a hand (feck am I running up a mountain). Got a gawk at the medals though, they're lovely (similar to the 25th medals but nicer colour). Ye lucky bast ards.

That's unbelievably helpful. I had half a notion that I was aiming for 1hr30m but I didn't know how feasible that was.

Stuff like how long the mountain section typically might take someone aiming for that kind of time and general pacing. So having looked at it, I'm happier that I have a chance of making the hour and a half mark. Whether I can sustain the effort over the length of the course is another matter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

Friend of mine registered but can't do it now , if anyone wants it , pm me

So how are we all set? All having an early night?

I'm in Harry's in Rosses Point getting pissed.

Aw I wish I was!

Best of luck tomorrow everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

My first race of any kind, only started running this year, cant wait now, was bricking it all week went out today and picked up my kit then a drive round the circuit to calm the nerves.

Best of luck. Start like a tortoise to catch a few hares!

Ever had that 'You know that stupid idea about running up a feckin mountain? You weren't really serious about that, were you?' feeling?

:D

Sooooooooooo, short sleeved, or no sleeves today.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Do people drive there

If so where to park, what time to arrive,

Is people wearing the warriors shirt provided

Best of luck to all

• Advertisement

Do people drive there

If so where to park, what time to arrive,

Is people wearing the warriors shirt provided

Best of luck to all

I wouldn't wear something new for a race tbh. You may get chaffed in new places!

Advertisement