Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is looking after your chain worth it?

• 13-02-2014 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

I have two bikes. I look after the chains and lube them fairly regularly, with a proper cleaning every now and again too.

I've spent a fair bit on degreasers and lube over the last couple of years, when I think of it...

A bottle of lube or degreaser is anything between 10-15e, and for me lasts about 6 or so times only (I probably do use a bit too much but not loads)...over the lifetime of a chain (2/3/4/5 years?), that all adds up.

So I'm starting to think that "properly" looking after your chain, in order to get "maximum life" out of it could actually end costing you more than neglecting it (or only giving it some TLC every once in a while) and replacing the chain earlier...

A new chain and sprockets is what, 140e? Then if you can replace yourself, it's not that pricey.

What is your opinion/experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I have a good DID X ring chain and stick a scottoiler on the bike (Well it was already on it when I bought it). Ride every day in all weathers for nearly 2 years and the chain is still in good nick - only had to adjust twice so far. I give it the odd rub to get the rust off the rivets but other than that, nothing.

Before I was cleaning every weekend and chain would last no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

the sprays for chains, while convenient, are pretty wasteful imo.. better off with a bottle of gear oil/chainsaw oil, or Ive a scottoiler oil refil bottle, and its lasted me 5 years+ at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Wossack wrote: »
    the sprays for chains, while convenient, are pretty wasteful imo.. better off with a bottle of gear oil/chainsaw oil, or Ive a scottoiler oil refil bottle, and its lasted me 5 years+ at this stage

Yeah, I'm starting to think that...most spray lube ends up on the swingarm or the ground...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Uee engine oil costs ya nothing (everyone has some spare) and no need for degreasers either then. It doenst hold cack so no cleaning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Doesnt cost me a thing really.....Kerosene is dirt cheap and cleans the chain so well its not even funny. And I use the car/bike oil left over from the service to lube it up. The bike came with a scottoiler and sure you can fill that with a litre bottle of ATF fluid for €4.50 instead of the €10 for a small bottle of scottoil.

So yes....its well worth it for me. Anyway I dont clean and maintain my chain so it will last longer....I do it so it does not snap at 100mph!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Chain wax...yer only man ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

A snapped chain is no fun, especially as it is preventable, happened me on my first bike, the chain shot straight out behind me and luckily hit the ground before the car behind me. I saw that scarring on a chaps leg where he had previously gotten a lash of a broken chain, took a fair lump of his calf with it.

Since then I have always changed the chain on any bike I bought regardless of assurances of how well it was looked after.

So from that point of view rather than just the perspective of saving a few bob it is probably worth looking after it, there is enough stupid stuff that can happen outside of your control, so minimising the risks that you do control is not the worst plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ride a BMW :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

The chain is one of the most important parts of the motorbike and should well be looket after, i dont use them lubes because they are dirt collectors and when dirt stick it tends to clogg the chain.
    All i do is fill an old oil bottle with old engine oil, and after a day out on the bike i oil the chain because its better to do when the chain is hot,

Advertisement