Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Post your Recipe Ideas!

• 13-02-2014 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

I though it might be good to start a thread where people can post idea's for recipes and perhaps get some feedback and suggestions to improve them.

I'll start with my idea, kind of inspired by Maki rolls :) and Durum / Shawarma / Gyros type kebab rolls:

Tempura Seafood Kebab with Tahini and sweet chilli salsa, pilaf rice and red cabbage slaw:
    Garlic & Coriander tortilla/flat bread wrap (A thick'ish soft warp, a mix between a nan and a tortilla)
    385g all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons of olive oil
    225ml milk
    Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
    4 cloves of garlic, chopped

Mix the flour, salt, coriander and garlic and baking power together in a bowl. Mix the oil and milk together. Slowly start pouring in the milk mixture to the flour mixture.
    Knead the dough until it become elastic. Put in a bowl and let it sit for 30mins.

Divide the dough into 12 balls. Put some flour on your counter and roll the balls out into a circle as thin as possible.
    Heat a frying pan and add the rolled out dough to a dry pan. Cook on either side for 30 seconds.

Pilaf Rice
    450g Basmati rice
    600 mls chicken stock
    Fresh parsley
    1 Onion, chopped

Let the rice soak for 30 mins and rinse off.
    Fry some onion in butter until it starts to turn golden. Then add the rice to coat in the butter.
    Bring stock to the boil and add the rice, turn down and let simmer for 10 mins.
    The rice should absorb all the stock. Stir in the parsley when its finished and keep covered until serving.

Red cabbage, spring onion and carrot slaw
    1 Red cabbage, shredded
    4 small carrots, cut into match sticks
    Bunch of spring onions, chopped

Mix all the ingredients together

Tempura shrimp / squid / white fish
    Shrimp, squid or white fish
    75g cornflour
    75g plain flour
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    188ml beer

For the batter, sift the cornflour and flour together into a medium bowl.
    Make a well in the center and add the egg and beer and whisk from the center outwards, until just combined. Allow the batter to stand for a few minutes in a cool place.
    Heat the oil in a deep heavy-bottomed pan until a breadcrumb sizzles and turns brown when dropped into it.

Place the flour onto a plate and dip the prawns into it to cover well. Dip the prawns into the batter and add to the hot oil to deep fry in batches for 2-3 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
    Carefully remove with a ladle with holes and drain on kitchen paper.

Tahini sauce
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    120 mls tahini paste
    100 mls lemon juice
    45 mls water

Mince the garlic and mix with the salt in a bowl into a paste. Whisk in tahini, lemon juice and water.

Sweet mango, coriander, lime and chilli salsa
    2 Mango's diced
    2 Red pepper diced
    Large handful of coriander leaves, chopped.
    Juice of 1 lime
    2 Red chillis

Just mix all the ingredients together.

To serve, the quantity of fillings is up to you really. Take a tortilla, spread some of the pilaf rice in the middle. Then place some of the Red cabbage slaw on top.
    Place a some tempura shrimp on top. Drizzle with Tahini sauce and sweet chilli salsa. Sprinkle with sesame seeds to finish.

To finish sprinkle some Sesame seeds on top of all the filling.

Not sure if the garlic and coriander tortilla is too much with there already being garlic in the Tahini sauce and coriander in the salsa ?
    Just to give you an idea of what it might look like, but with a slightly larger in diameter wrap:

n6AAj-900x600.jpg

What do you think ? Any suggestions before i attempt to make it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I don't mean to split hairs - but that is an idea for a meal. It is not a recipe. Do you want the thread title edited? If so, drop me a PM.

tHB

Edit: Or update the post with the recipe for the components?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I don't mean to split hairs - but that is an idea for a meal. It is not a recipe. Do you want the thread title edited? If so, drop me a PM.

tHB

Edit: Or update the post with the recipe for the components?

Added more details :)

Advertisement