Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of going from a VFR to a CB 500 - am I insane?

• 13-02-2014 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a brilliant 97 VFR 750 with stainless steel exhaust system, reconditioned suspension, scott oiler, braided lines etc. The thing is I commute about 10 miles a day to and from work, and the odd spin on the weekend. I'm not a speed freak - I like making progress but handling is just as important.

I am thinking of getting a CB 500 to replace it to save on fuel and consumables.

Am I mad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yes.

It's bought & paid for (I assume), and the CB will still use fuel & consumables - the amount it will save will not cover the cost to change (assuming you are buying newer)....if buying the CB new, even less so.

And the VFR is a higher quality bike, period, and would be naturally better than the CB for uses outside just commuting. A smaller bike would suit short trips better from a wear & tear point of view, so they do have merit.

Having said all that it depends on how you use your bike. Would you contemplate buying a 2nd (smaller) bike purely for commuting and keeping the VFR for social & pleasure purposes ?

Look at mine: I have a big bike and a scooter. Horses for courses.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

You'll regret selling that VFR.
    Maybe get a budget commuter as a second bike - 125cc/250/ scooter? Something with really good fuel economy and cheaper motor tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I should clarify, I'm looking to get one of the older twin CB 500 or CBF500 maybe. Not one of the brand new CB500s. I would be selling the VFR and buying the CB with the proceeds.

Also I'm in my 40s so not a young lad.

Oh, and I do all my own maintenance, a plus for the CB500 IMO.

Thanks for the replies by the way !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Go for it. A change is as good as a rest, as they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Just remember the suspension on them would be mega budget. So handling would be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

a friend of mine has a 94 CB500 and as a commuter, it's excellent. 100k miles on it iirc, or something equally daft now, and it hasn't missed a beat.

If you don't use the VFR outside of commuting, then it's a waste of it, so do sell it and buy something specifically commuter-able ( ?).

If I can manage it, I'd like to add an xMax 400 for commuting to my garage.

I'd say you should be able to trade the VFR for a CB very easily.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The difference in fuel economy on a ten mile a day commute will equate to a three euro saving a week, you still have to buy tyres, oil and filters at more or less the same price and your VFR will last until after we are all dead. If you just want a change then go for it but you'll miss the comfort, fairing protection and smoothness of the 750. If you only have to fit exhaust headers to a second hand CB it will negate any saving over the time you own it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

I've had both, the old cb is every bit as good quality wise as the vfr and for me the cb was way more fun to ride, so nimble and flickable. And that little twin engine is a peach, and sounds great with a loud pipe. I never regretted selling the vfr but definitely miss the cb500. Do it, ya wont be sorry.

Interesting replies ... I had an NTV 650 before the VFR and oddly I miss that too - it was more flickable in the bends than the VFR is, and just as bulletproof - plus no chain to adjust.

The elephant in the room is of course insurance - my insurance on the vfr is nearly €400 a year and would be a fraction of that with the CB.

I also won't miss taking off the fairings for maintenance ....

Actually just checked there and there would be very little difference in insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

galwaytt wrote: »
    If I can manage it, I'd like to add an xMax 400 for commuting to my garage.

Friend of mine had a burgman400 and it was a hoot to ride, but it was definitely a scooter. But the yam tmax I was tempted by cause it has the engine where a bike engine is and not bouncing around on the swingarm. I'd add one of them to the garage given the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Go for it, the cb's are real easy to maintain, light and great when in traffic, put on a set bt's and the rain wont be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I'm selling mine on adverts, if you want to take a look.
    cb500
    As above, its never missed a beat.

Mods please delete if this is out of order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

If your vfr is mint I'm a collector

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

For starters, you won't save a cent by switching to the CB500. For a 10 mile commute a 125 is likely fine unless you're on motorways.

For what it's worth I'm commuting a 98 CB500 sixty miles a day and the only drawbacks I can find are that it lacks a bit of top end punch on the motorway and it's a bit on the small side physically. At a stretch I'd add that the lighting is not brilliant, but that applies to 90% of bikes I've ever ridden anyway.

If I was in your shoes I'd likely keep the VFR, but each to their own :-)

I've decided to keep the VFR - unless Tigger is willing to make me an offer I can't refuse !

I think the money I would save will be minimal, and one repair bill more for the CB would tip that either way anyway.

Thanks everyone.

Advertisement