Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Dylan, Cork and Dublin, June 2014

Options
  • 13-02-2014 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

Bob Dylan playing the Cork Marquee on June 16th and the O2, Dublin on June 17th.
    Tickets on sale Thursday, February 20th.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Roll on the Dublin show, hope to hear some new tunes, like Roll on John and Tempest live. I think these are some of the best he has written in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

any chance of a limerick gig ? :D

Paulegend wrote: »
    any chance of a limerick gig ? :D

Thomand Park was great a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Great News!

Tempest sure is a strong album, and Dylan's most diverse and exciting in years,
    I hear himself and his band have been playing to a very high standard of late,
    The reviews from the 3 nights at the Royal Albert Hall last year were met with very rave reviews

Dylan can be a real mixed bag sometimes, the gig in Limerick and the O2 in 2011 with Mark Knopfler are among the best Dylan shows I have ever seen. On the flip side his first ever show in the O2 in 2009 fell very flat and was almost boring and dull at points, the second night was a big improvement but the band still didn't get firing on all cylinders that night either! But the last few shows I have seen have been thoroughly enjoyable and Dylan seemed to be having a lot of fun onstage.

I reckon a concert in Thomond Park is very unlikely, as despite the incredible performance they delivered last time, ticket sales were quite poor!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭picaso30

I wonder will tickets sellout straight away for this gig?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

on less your a huge fan of bob dillion you will hate the show,hes lost his singing ability,you cant understand what hes singing,its sad to say he can barely walk onto stage,he sits at the piano most of the time,then he hops up
    and plays the harmonica every few minutes,his backing band looks disinterested during the show,

on less your a huge fan of bob dillion you will hate the show,hes lost his singing ability,you cant understand what hes singing,its sad to say he can barely walk onto stage,he sits at the piano most of the time,then he hops up
    and plays the harmonica every few minutes,his backing band looks disinterested during the show,

You must not be a big fan anyway :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

After that informative post I'm sure you've seen him many, many times.

Managed to pick up 2 tickets in the pre-sale this morning. This code should be good for 2 more 3GSRAKULF. If they still allow 4 tickets per code.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

EyesClosed wrote: »
    Managed to pick up 2 tickets in the pre-sale this morning. This code should be good for 2 more 3GSRAKULF. If they still allow 4 tickets per code.

Worked perfectly for me, thank you very much. :)

• Advertisement

I am questioning if to get tickets now with sawdoubters coment..not a huge fan but seen him in pearse stadium in galway in 2006 and it was one of d best gigs i was ever at.

Thanks EyesClosed! Very cool of you to share your password!
    Although I couldn't get it to work earlier for some reason, Kept telling me tickets are currently unavailable, I just presumed the pre-sale tickets had sold out, ah well, I guess I'll pick one up on Thursday!

I would not be deterred in the slightest by sawdoubters comments on Dillion! (sorry, couldn't resist!)

Especially not as you have seen the man himself before, I was at that Pearse Stadium gig too, I think it was 2004 tho. The dynamics have changed a good bit since then, as has the band line up. They have a more stripped back approach now, which works very well, and they can let loose and rock out when they want to. The band really are the cream of the crop! I would strongly recommend you to go!

I am always amazed at people who go to see Dylan these days and are shocked that he doesn't sound like he did in 1962 when he was 21 years old singing Blowin' In The Wind on their Greatest Hits Vol.1, I have actually heard these kind of grumbles many times. I always find them quite amusing.

Whilst it is true Dylan has reinvented and made a lot of his old songs anew, he still offers a show which can't be gotten anywhere else. His backing band alone are incredible and able to follow Dylan anywhere he might wanna take it on the drop of a hat!

I have no idea what show you have seen sawdoubter, but Dylan seems to be in great shape for someone who tours so much, last time I seen him, he seemed very into the performance throwing crazy theatrical moves all night and preforming to a tee as did his band! To say he can barely walk onstage is just utter nonsense!

Cheers for that rolandgoose,yea,it was 2004 at pearse stadium, I seem to have a habit of not facing up to how quick the years are going by. Anyway, I am talked around again,your a good sales person, I remember people making negative comments about his voice at that gig,but I thought he sounded class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

picaso30 wrote: »
    Cheers for that rolandgoose,yea,it was 2004 at pearse stadium, I seem to have a habit of not facing up to how quick the years are going by. Anyway, I am talked around again,your a good sales person, I remember people making negative comments about his voice at that gig,but I thought he sounded class.

Did you see Gary Moore that day, who also played at the gig in Pearse Stadium in 2004

In 2006 Bob Dylan played in Nowlan Park and then in The Marquee Cork the following day

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I saw him play Nowlan Park in 2001, one of the best gigs I've ever been at.

Setlist was class...

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bob-dylan/2001/nowlan-park-kilkenny-ireland-2bd294ce.html

picaso30 wrote: »

Do it you won't regret it, I have always had a great time at Dylan gig. The atmosphere is always amazing compared to any other show, and he has never failed to entertain me. I have also heard the he doesn't sound like he did in the 60's comments, I think they are hilarious, his music and style has changed so much it's amazing people have managed to miss the last 50 years of his career.

Yahoo...got my tickets

Good on ye Picasso, I hope you have a blast!

The feedback from the Asian / Hawaiian tour was very positive,
    With Bob's voice in fine form, the only negative I guess is that the set lists have been very static, hopefully they mix it up a little in rehearsals over the break.

Next Stop: Cork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

adrian522 wrote: »
    I saw him play Nowlan Park in 2001, one of the best gigs I've ever been at.

Setlist was class...

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bob-dylan/2001/nowlan-park-kilkenny-ireland-2bd294ce.html

That was my first Zimmy gig and he was brilliant. Saw him twice in the Marquee and he was fantastic!

Alright looks like it was a cracking show last night in Cork, roll on later tonight, I can't wait now.
    Video from Cork
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KrHnFbeB10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ashdale5

Went to the gig last night and Bob's voice was as good as I've heard it in years. Miles better than when he played the Marquee a few years back. The band, of course, were magnificent.

He did play a lot of his more recent tracks so anyone expecting a greatest hits gig would have been disappointed.

Set list from last night -

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bob-dylan/2014/live-at-the-marquee-cork-ireland-13c06d41.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Anyone know what time hes on stage tonight?

The Nal wrote: »
    Anyone know what time hes on stage tonight?

The Expecting Rain forums are saying a little after 8, and he was very punctual last night in Cork. Also standing section is tiny, only 1,200.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

EyesClosed wrote: »
    The Expecting Rain forums are saying a little after 8, and he was very punctual last night in Cork. Also standing section is tiny, only 1,200.

Cheers! Best hit the road and get home so!

Roll on later.....

Did you see Gary Moore that day, who also played at the gig in Pearse Stadium in 2004

In 2006 Bob Dylan played in Nowlan Park and then in The Marquee Cork the following day

Hey horseburger, I caught most of Gary Moore's set that day. I'm a middle of the road sorta Thin Lizzy / Gary fan, and whilst the musical prowess was well showcased, I though his set got a little boring and overly indulgent.

The buzz around Galway that day was absolutely sensational tho.

Well what are everybody's thoughts about Bob's latest visit?
    I'd be interested to hear your feedback EyesClosed and Picasso!

I thought the Cork show for some reason feel a little flat, I presume this was due mostly to the sound mix, having been to the Marquee a good few times it seems like a really tricky venue to get the mix right. Dylan's voice seemed to tower above the band who were quite feint and almost background at times. For some reason on "Long and Wasted Years" the band were turned way up and that performance sounded incredible and stood out as the highlight of the night! But unfortunately was too little too late.

I'm pretty sure the band played for 1hr 45mins at this one, starting at 8pm as sharp as sharp can be and finishing at 10:05pm with a 20min intermission halfway through. The setlist remained pretty stagnant from the last European tour, which was no bad thing and welcomed by me, having missed out last time around.

However the Dublin show the following night was a real show stopper and will rank among the greatest Dylan shows I have seen! The venue arrangement was perfect with a 1,200 capacity standing area giving an intimate vibe that suits this show very well. The sound mix was pretty perfect, crystal clear with the bands levels blended perfectly. Dylan himself seemed in fine form, his voice was powerful and as clear as I have heard it in all my years going to see the man, he seemed really focussed and delivered extremely poignant versions of "Forgetful Heart" "What Good Am I?" and "A Simple Twist of Faith" among others. I would advise anyone who is thinking of going to see Dylan and his Band and are perhaps slightly trepadatious about it, to do so now, as they are in extremely fine form! A show like this can't be found anywhere else!

The Dublin show was slightly longer at 1hr and 50mins, with things kicking off at 8:10 and finishing at 10:15 with a shorter intermission of about 15mins from memory! Very same set list in Dublin only delivered with much more conviction and poignancy perhaps as a result of the sound been better or perhaps the band needed to shake the cobwebs off as Cork was the first stop on a lengthy European tour!

Hopefully Bob and the Band pay us another visit soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Hey horseburger, I caught most of Gary Moore's set that day. I'm a middle of the road sorta Thin Lizzy / Gary fan, and whilst the musical prowess was well showcased, I though his set got a little boring and overly indulgent.

The buzz around Galway that day was absolutely sensational tho.

Well what are everybody's thoughts about Bob's latest visit?
    I'd be interested to hear your feedback EyesClosed and Picasso!

I thought the Cork show for some reason feel a little flat, I presume this was due mostly to the sound mix, having been to the Marquee a good few times it seems like a really tricky venue to get the mix right. Dylan's voice seemed to tower above the band who were quite feint and almost background at times. For some reason on "Long and Wasted Years" the band were turned way up and that performance sounded incredible and stood out as the highlight of the night! But unfortunately was too little too late.

I'm pretty sure the band played for 1hr 45mins at this one, starting at 8pm as sharp as sharp can be and finishing at 10:05pm with a 20min intermission halfway through. The setlist remained pretty stagnant from the last European tour, which was no bad thing and welcomed by me, having missed out last time around.

However the Dublin show the following night was a real show stopper and will rank among the greatest Dylan shows I have seen! The venue arrangement was perfect with a 1,200 capacity standing area giving an intimate vibe that suits this show very well. The sound mix was pretty perfect, crystal clear with the bands levels blended perfectly. Dylan himself seemed in fine form, his voice was powerful and as clear as I have heard it in all my years going to see the man, he seemed really focussed and delivered extremely poignant versions of "Forgetful Heart" "What Good Am I?" and "A Simple Twist of Faith" among others. I would advise anyone who is thinking of going to see Dylan and his Band and are perhaps slightly trepadatious about it, to do so now, as they are in extremely fine form! A show like this can't be found anywhere else!

The Dublin show was slightly longer at 1hr and 50mins, with things kicking off at 8:10 and finishing at 10:15 with a shorter intermission of about 15mins from memory! Very same set list in Dublin only delivered with much more conviction and poignancy perhaps as a result of the sound been better or perhaps the band needed to shake the cobwebs off as Cork was the first stop on a lengthy European tour!

Hopefully Bob and the Band pay us another visit soon!

hi RolandGoose,

I enjoyed Gary Moore that day. Bob Daisley was with him on bass!

But for some reason, in the years before he died he seemed to overlook his more classic hard rock albums, in his live gigs.

The two Bob Dylan gigs last week in Cork and Dublin had the same setlist, I had assumed, (wrongly!:)) before the gigs, that he was going to do a different setlist on this tour from show to show, like in previous tours, like in November 2005 in Dublin, where of the two gigs, only two songs were played both nights.

I think some people didn't like that last week, he played so many newer songs over older standard songs, but I liked that he played so much recent stuff because the next time he tours here, the setlist, even if it happens to be same each night, may be totally different.

hi RolandGoose,

I enjoyed Gary Moore that day. Bob Daisley was with him on bass!

But for some reason, in the years before he died he seemed to overlook his more classic hard rock albums, in his live gigs.

The two Bob Dylan gigs last week in Cork and Dublin had the same setlist, I had assumed, (wrongly!:)) before the gigs, that he was going to do a different setlist on this tour from show to show, like in previous tours, like in November 2005 in Dublin, where of the two gigs, only two songs were played both nights.

I think some people didn't like that last week, he played so many newer songs over older standard songs, but I liked that he played so much recent stuff because the next time he tours here, the setlist, even if it happens to be same each night, may be totally different.

Yeah, there will always be some grumbles about Dylan's concerts, What to play, how to play it, what instruments to play, etc etc. I guess people have just wanted to pigeonhole him for so long, that he has just given up caring and does what he feels like doing, Which is a pretty good policy imo, after all he is the Artist!

I was hopeful the setlist would have been changed up from Last year myself, but after the same set appeared in Cork, I knew Dublin was bound for more of the same. It's a pretty great setlist, I'd make a couple of changes here or there, I really think Blowin' In the Wind should be put to rest, it's a very downbeat end to the show, then again I'm sure it pleases a certain contingent. The setlist was very light on early material alright, with only 6 songs been played from the 60's 70's and 80's. then again the last few years sets have been heavy on 60's & 70's material.

I think the days of Bob mixing up the set night to night might be a thing of the past. Then again he seems to throw in the odd wild card here and there, and for some reason in Milan on the 2011 tour he mixed up the set completely, then in 2013 he done the same in Rome, now this time around he's done the same in Athens 2014, mixing up the set list completely and after returning to the usual stagnant set. I have no idea what the reasoning for this is!

Advertisement