Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Adapter Not Performing As Normal??

Options
  • 13-02-2014 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

So, I have an admittedly old and rather cheap wireless adapter. Bought it around 4 years ago - Dynamode 11N USB Adapter. It's worked absolutely fine for ages now, even a month ago before we moved house it was able to pick up and maintain the 12mb speeds.
    We moved into a new house and there was a mix-up with Eircom, however we are now on a 17mb line and my phone (when connected to the wireless with mobile data off) is getting results of 13 or 14mb on the Speedtest app, while my PC is struggling to pick up 1mb, and sometimes there is a jump to 3 or 4mb.

Had the adapter given up? Or is there something else going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Download Inssider and check how many wireless connections are running on the same or an adjacent channel. It could be there is more interference in your new location than your old.

Another source of interference are wireless baby alarms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I have a very similar problem before, is the adaptor near and power cables, the magnetic field from power cables will stop the WiFi signals travelling properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

FSL wrote: »
    Download Inssider and check how many wireless connections are running on the same or an adjacent channel. It could be there is more interference in your new location than your old.

Another source of interference are wireless baby alarms.

Link score is 100, says there are no overlapping or co-channels and my network is the only one on the channel being used. Not 100% how this thing works ( :p ) but the only thing that stands out is a connection of -45dBm.

Any ideas?

GarIT wrote: »
    I have a very similar problem before, is the adaptor near and power cables, the magnetic field from power cables will stop the WiFi signals travelling properly.

What kind of power cables exactly?

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    What kind of power cables exactly?

Any power cables, in the wall or even the power lead for the computer. Try moving the adaptor to the front of the computer, that should rule it out.

• Advertisement

Any power cables, in the wall or even the power lead for the computer. Try moving the adaptor to the front of the computer, that should rule it out.

It is at the front of the computer :(

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    It is at the front of the computer :(

That's not the problem so.

That's not the problem so.

Boo, if only it were that simple. Strapped for cash so don't want to be going out and buying a new one if there's nothing wrong with this one. Using the PC wired isn't an option right now as the router is pretty much stuck one side of the room, and we can't move the PC closer until we get a desk :o

First is off my phone (S3) and second is the PC. Taken within seconds of each other, and the PC was first with the wireless on my phone switched off at the time!

1911633_10151999153007998_2098855232_n.jpg

int1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

YOU can buy a usb wifi adaptor 10 euro in chinese pc shops,
    in moore st, dublin, 1.
    look in shops that sell mainly pcs,pc components.
    on the left ,ilac centre side.
    make sure theres a driver ,install cd in the box,

as windows may not auto install the driver.
    try changing the channel on the wifi router .
    i did this ,increased speed by 30 per cent .

Well, whatever it was, it's stopped :o
    Partner was using his laptop via ethernet with no problems and then this morning I started getting the 14-15mb through the wireless adapter.
    Guess I'll not ask and just be happy it works :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement