Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should warranty cover this

Options
  • 13-02-2014 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭

I bought a racing bike 2 weeks ago. My first cycle was the next day. It was a short one but I wasn't confident with the brakes but thought maybe needed to be worn in.

Next cycle I went on a longer cycle and when I came to a steep hill the brakes were rubbing when I pulled the levers but weren't stopping me. Whilst I was pulling the brakes I got a blow out and travelled a short distance on the flat tyre as I couldn't stop. I eventually stopped when I slowed down enough to jump off whilst still moving.

I brought it back to the shop and they said there was no reason for braking failing and blow out but there may have beena film of residue on the brake blocks.

As I had travelled the small distance on the flat tyre as brakes failed I ruined the tyre. I was charged €27 for a new Tube and second hand tyre.

My next cycle I stayed on flat surfaces and passed without incident.

The next which would be the fourth outing went fine until I neared my gate and went in to a lower gear and a part of the gears seized or got caught and broke. For any cyclists it was the rear mech.

I again brought it back to the shop and they assessed it and said they could find no reason for it. They said the chain was ruined as was the rear mech and the rear wheel.

They put on the new mech, straightened out the wheel and are giving me a free chain. This is costing me €20.

On a 2 week old bike that cost me €735 I have a second hand tyre, a replaced part for the gears, a straightened out wheel and a new chain and brakes i have no confidence in and had to pay out an extra €47 plus whatever it costs to travel the 100km there and back.

Should these parts not be replaced by warranty.

What else can I do about this when you take into Account my last paragraph.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Warranties only cover manufacturing defects so it's absolutely vital to find out why the failures occurred.

How did the tyre blow out, did it just come off the rim?
    Blow outs can be caused by over-inflation, thorns, road damage, etc so unless there is evidence of a manufacturing defect in either the tyre or rim I guess you'll have a hard time convincing anyone it's a valid warranty claim.

I've haven't cycled in years but when I did I occasionally had rear chain derailments before, usually caused by unconsciously back-pedalling as I was gearing down. Just jammed the chain but never broke anything.
    If the derailleur got caught in the spokes it sounds like it wasn't adjusted properly when the shop assembled the bike.

If this was the fault of the shop then you have no claim against the manufacturer, the shop is responsible in that case. I suggest you talk to a few other cycle shops and ask them for likely causes for the failures, without revealing where you bought the bike.

Advertisement