Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skimming a stippled ceiling

Options
  • 13-02-2014 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭

Couple of rooms in a new place I'm getting have a stippled ceiling, one has a ceiling rose as well. Painful to look at, would rather a smooth finish and no rose.

Anyone any idea what the rough cost of skimming this would be? Would it even be ok to skim it or is the whole thing coming down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

you would have to scrape off the heavy stipple with a scraper

Thistle bond the ceiling then skim it

not sure on the cost, depends on the size of the room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Depending on the size of the room i may be easier just to replace the ceiling completly

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

We were in the same position a few years back and it was a better job just to take out the ceilings and replace them. Dusty dirty work though. There would always have been a concern as to how well the new plaster would bond to the old stippled stuff, hence biting the bullet.

To be fair, we were doing a lot of other work on the house at the time, so cannot give you a cost guideline

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Tradnuts

We had this issue recently.

The builder suggested just plaster boarding over it and re-skimming.
    That's what we ended up doing.

As we were paying out for that, we added in 32mm insulated plasterboard instead of just normal plasterboard, 900euro extra for the whole house.
    Now all our ceilings are insulated within the room as well as from the attic.

Made a good difference to the heat staying in the room in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Sounds like it's a rip out and replace job. Which is annoying since the previous owners thought it'd be a good idea to put this monstrosity in almost every room :-(

That and there's a timeber ceiling in a kitchen which I don't like the look of (and reckon could be a fire hazard given the right conditions).

Tradnuts, was that 900 for the ceilings in the whole house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Tradnuts

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Tradnuts, was that 900 for the ceilings in the whole house?

No, The 900 euro was extra for using insulated board instead of regular plasterboard, plus the extra bit of work involved.
    I cant remember what the total cost was.

Basically we got a quote for regular plastboard and skimming, supply and fitting and skimming.
    Then we upgraded to insulated board and that was 900 extra, this was for 12 rooms, 2 of which were fairly large.

Advertisement