Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I fully intend to refuse my renewal invoices when they arrive

I am going to write to them and state that my customers spend less than a minute instore and the music is of no heed to them and adds no benefit to my business

It is purely for the personal use of my staff.

They will no doubt get all excitable and send me a standard reply or else, but I'm quite prepared to go legal.

The precedent is set, if they want to go to war fair enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

jimmii wrote: »
    Just got a renewal letter from the IMRO does anyone know what has happened with shops since the shoe shop court case? Has anyone challenged them on it at all?

This is the story can't find anything else.
    http://www.tune-one.com/tune-one-news/phonographic-performance-ireland-ppi-forbidden-to-collect-music-royalties-by-court-decision/

Be very careful here, the cases referred to in the link refer to PPI royalties and not to IMRO royalties.

I am no expert in this area at all, but my understanding is that PPI royalties are paid by the likes of Dance halls/discos/radio & TV stations. An IMRO licence is required where such music and content is heard/played in a public place or workplace.
    Two completely different licences and regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I'll contact them both see what they say I expect PPI to get in touch pretty soon too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I am no expert in this area at all, but my understanding is that PPI royalties are paid by the likes of Dance halls/discos/radio & TV stations. An IMRO licence is required where such music and content is heard/played in a public place or workplace.

Two completely different licences and regulation.

It's complex but essentially they all pay IMRO. PPI are a different matter and basically is the industries way of collecting royalties due to labels and their major artists on an international organised level so basically the PPI would be in every country in some format or name.

Advertisement