Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Stream/ Sraith Gaeilge ***Moderator Advisory in 1st Post. Please Read!***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Just as I thought that all hope was gone, I got an e-mail today confirming Stage 3 status for the Sraith Ghaeilge. I'm nervously happy because I was so let down not to get into the elusive 600 a couple of weeks back. This is as good a chance as any, I hope

Good man good for you, when will you have to go to Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Tras.com

Hi guys I'm a newbie to this forum, just got email today that I got through to stage 3 through the Irish selection process... So do us reckon it will be in Irish or English ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Tras.com wrote: »
    Hi guys I'm a newbie to this forum, just got email today that I got through to stage 3 through the Irish selection process... So do us reckon it will be in Irish or English ?!

What date did you get to do stage 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Manann

I'm in too.. delighted. I'm down for next Friday the 4th at 9.00am. I wonder are we all in on that day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 neilo91

Got mine today too, doing the tests on Thursday 3rd April at 12:45. I would imagine it's done through english as we sat the first 2 stages through english? And we do the Irish at the next stage ?

• Advertisement

Thurs 3rd @9am...I'm thinking the report may have to be written in Irish?!

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I'm in on the 3rd at 1245 too which is great for me as I can get the train up to Dublin that morning. At least I won't have to spend the night before but no doubt I won't sleep much the night before the tests, be too nervous. I find it a bit strange that they seem to have more than one day of testing. For the English crowd, 60 a day were being tested. So, maybe they're going to call 60 on the Thursday, and maybe 30 on the Friday, cos no one has said yet if they have an appointment for Friday afternoon. Does that make sense I wonder? Seemingly only 10 jobs from the 210 going to Irish speakers. That's what's being said in the Stage 3 forums.

I've to go up the day before cause I'm in donegal, staying with a friend. Only 10 ��

I've to go up the day before cause I'm in donegal, staying with a friend. Only 10 ��
    That's what was said in the Stage 3 forum. As part of the tests you have a presentation. And when that question was asked, the person giving the presentation said that there will be 210 places this year, instead of 300, and that only 10 will be for Irish speakers. I don't know how reliable that information is, but it's a bit like 'Dúirt bean liom, go ndúirt bean léi, gur inis bean eile di maidean inné', in other words, it's only hearsay.

I was thinking of going up the night before, but I reckon I should be safe enough if I get an early enough train. I'm not going to cut it that short in case the train is delayed/broke down, which can happen now and again. I'll be getting the train from Cork cos I'm west Cork. I'd prefer not to stay in a hotel the night before, cos I know I wouldn't sleep properly, and I'd prefer to sleep in my own bed the night before important tests.

Also lads, be aware that there has been some issues with identification. I think you're supposed to have identification that is less than 5 years old or else you have to get a form signed by your local guards to prove your identity. Someone was saying that this is because you could have 18 yr olds who have a passport id from when they were a child. All my ids are more than 5 yrs old, but all the local guards know me so that won't be a problem. This information will be in the familiarization material anyway, but it's just a quick heads up for people.

Thanks archer for the hands up on id, can't remember how old my driving license is ,it's in my car and car in garage, nct on wed :( ... Anyway should be ok , local guards know me. So did you get the familiarisation material ? Said in email

'Cliceáil anseo don nasc chuig an ábhar taithíochta '

But nothing le cliceáil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Thanks archer for the hands up on id, can't remember how old my driving license is ,it's in my car and car in garage, nct on wed :( ... Anyway should be ok , local guards know me. So did you get the familiarisation material ? Said in email

'Cliceáil anseo don nasc chuig an ábhar taithíochta '

But nothing le cliceáil

Press control whilst clicking the link

No link though

Rothmans wrote: »
    Press control whilst clicking the link
    I never actually clicked myself for the familiarisation material. I thought I'd take the night off, and start back tomorrow practicing for the verbal and logical again. Thanks Rothmans for the info. I'm going to talk to the local guards this week anyway to get a head start on the report writing, cos I have no idea what is required. The Gárda Reserves have an advantage in this regard, cos they're used to doing reports. They were saying something in the other forums about using either the first person or the third person in terms of tenses when writing a report. I've written a masters thesis, but like everything else in life, there's no point getting carried away, thinking you know it all, better to be safe than sorry, and get a firm grasp of what's required for the report writing from people who know for sure.

No link though
    I'm sure there's a link in the public jobs message, it might not be in the email they sent you though, so log onto public jobs and check first just to make sure.

Actually I've just tried there now to click on the nasc but nothing happened, in either the public jobs message or the email, even when I pressed control while clicking the link. I'm sure they'll put it right tomorrow

I'll call them tomorrow about the familiarisation material
    I'll ask my sis in law about reports she's in ags

I'll call them tomorrow about the familiarisation material
    I'll ask my sis in law about reports she's in ags
    Yeah, I've tried as well now, even pressing control and clicking the link but no good. Lucky you ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

For the aptitude tests we didn't get any links in our familiarisation material, we were just referred back to the stage 2 stuff iirc.
    The report writing and job simulation material was pretty skimpy too.

I did ring earlier and he said I would get it in a day or two...

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Yeah, 6% of 300 places available, so 18 maximum. I guess it could be a little lower. I can't stand Donegal Irish, can't understand it unless it's someone who's on the radio or news alot. I think they slow down a little bit for the rest of us. Connaught is fine. I can understand them well enough most of the time. I hope I don't meet someone from Gaoth Dobhair in an Irish interview. I must say I'd have more respect for someone with Donegal dialect that I would for someone who speaks the caighdeán ofigiúil, that's neither here nor there.

An bhfuileann tú ábalta Gaeilge na hAlban a thuiscint? Measaim gur mó taithí a bheadh agat le Gaeilge na hAlban ná le Gaoluinn na Mumhan?

Are you able to understand Scottish Gaelic? I would expect that you would have more experience with Scottish Gaelic than with Munster Gaelic/Irish?

I'm from gaoth dobhair ;)

Neddieog wrote: »
    The following article confirms it is 6%. http://m.gaelport.com/archives/884674

Well, let me tell you this, I come from the Donegal Gaeltacht and there was recent controversy surrounding my local barracks that none of the Gardaí stationed there had Irish, therefore they were replaced. Two Gardaí that were born and raised in the parish are now working in their local station. That in it self is mind-boggling!

Where you from neddie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Doyle06

Im from donegal too, but had planned to go to dublin on wed 2nd neway for 2 nights, an im in thurs 3rd at 12.45, so it works out great,

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Doyle06

Im from Gaoth Dobhair myself :-)

Doyle06 wrote: »
    Im from Gaoth Dobhair myself :-)

Me too

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BluesAndThrees

D Trent wrote: »
    Good man good for you, when will you have to go to Dublin?

I'm in the batch next Thursday too. Anyone know how many applicants are taken into the centre at any one stage? I was in band 1 up until Stage 2 and then I missed out the top 600 by quite a bit for Stage 3 (English Stream) even though they told me I had officially 'passed' as such. At the moment, I'm placed near enough 2.5k and the fact that I'm being invited to sit the Irish Stream must show that there aren't many applicants above me with Irish!
    Fingers crossed for us all anyway.
    Ádh mór oraibh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

So does anyone know how many extra Irish stream people were invited to stage 3?

Got the familiarisation material, no mention of Irish so can we assume it's all going to be in English

Got the familiarisation material, no mention of Irish so can we assume it's all going to be in English
    Someone said that the interview would be in Irish if we get that far. I don't think it will. I think everything will be done in English except for a separate oral and written Irish exam. I think they'll maintain the same standard between the English and Irish stream. It wouldn't make sense to get the company that provides the aptitude tests to translate their tests into Irish. It would be costly and time consuming. I think the same would be true for the interview. It would be easy enough to get retired guards that speak Irish, but more difficult to get a HR expert that speaks Irish to a high level.

I think the only other thing that might be in Irish is the report writing exercise, but they could do it in English, just to be able to compare our report writing with the English stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Neddieog

Me too

;)

Cé leis sibh? ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Neddieog wrote: »
    Cé leis sibh? ha

Did you qualify for Stage 3 Neddie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Neddieog

billie1b wrote: »
    Did you qualify for Stage 3 Neddie?

I did indeed Billie boy, delighted! Yourself?

Advertisement